Okay, let’s face it, this isn’t much of a discussion, but since I’ve just spent a whole month in Colorado, I figure I should share some of the highlights, right?
We rented a cabin (well, a house really, but a cabinish house) in the mountains, and my husband took off half the time we were there and worked from “home” the other half. As you know from my post about vacationing and disorganized blogging, I also worked part of the time we were there – I had some editing projects (one of which was aggravatingly two months late getting to me so that it arrived in my inbox two days before we left – isn’t that the way life always works?), and I had to keep up with blogging, since I somehow totally over-scheduled myself blog-wise. That’s okay, though – we still had TONS of time for family fun on our vacation!
Some of the things we did:
- Hiking! There was lots of hiking even within walking distance of the cabin because we were staying right in the mountains. But we didn’t stop there. We also hiked in the Rocky Mountains, to a beautiful place called Hanging Lakes (where we got poured on – but that just added to the adventure), in Garden of the Gods, up Mt. Bierstadt (see the picture here) – a 14,000 foot mountain (my husband and kids made it all the way to the top, but I was having trouble keeping up, especially with the altitude – I stopped at 13,500 feet and read my Kindle while they kept going!), and in Breckenridge and Frisco. Some of our hikes were even through snow! The whole family loves hiking, so these hikes were definitely some of the highlights of our trip!
- Rodeo. My kids (my daughter especially) love the rodeo, so we had to catch one while we were here!
- 4th of July in Breckenridge. We went to a fun festival in Breckenridge where the fire department came and opened up the hoses for the kids (and some of us adults to run through). Plus, they had an amazing sidewalk art show and a street full of Vipers to look at! Fireworks in Breckenridge were probably the best I’ve ever seen in my entire life. My kids enjoyed them from on top of our van. 🙂
- Gold mine tours. We went on two different mine tours and panned for gold. My daughter LOVES gold panning and could have probably spent half our vacation doing just that (especially after she heard the story of the girl who found a rock with $40,000 worth of gold in the stream!). (My son and my husband actually went ATVing while we were at one of the mines – for my son’s 13th birthday!)
- Ropes course. We did a ropes course when we were in Virginia last year as well, but for some reason this one terrified me. I did it, but there were quite a few times when I had to force myself to step out onto things.
- Wild animal sanctuary. Denver has a really cool animal sanctuary where you walk on a raised platform high above the animals. Because you’re up high, the animals don’t pay any attention to you at all (they don’t consider the sky part of their territory), so they act really naturally. I’ve never heard so many lions roaring, bears growling, and wolves howling and fighting before. It was really kind of amazing!
- Hot springs. We spent a few hours in Glenwood Hot Springs, which I’ve always wanted to do! They actually have to cool the water down, because the natural springs are over 120 degrees!
- Other random activities. We also saw lots of wildlife while we were here (some right in our back yard!), made campfires, picked wildflowers, fed chipmunks and ground squirrels, went to a butterfly garden and held a tarantula, visited a few small town museums and went to go see Inside Out on a rainy day (which was a fabulous movie!).
So, what’s been your favorite vacation you’ve ever taken? I want to know!