Recently I’ve come to realize something. I am never bored. Ever. Certain other people in my family (who shall remain nameless) get antsy when there’s “nothing to do.” Me. Nope.
Why? THERE’S ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO!
If I have five hours, I can sit down and read a book, write a post, browse other blogs … If I have five minutes, I can sit down and reply to a few comments.
Waiting in that extra long line at the grocery store? That’s okay – I’ve got a book on my phone. Can’t sleep? The Kindle won’t wake my hubby up. I can always find something to do!
You can’t say that with all hobbies. I used to scrapbook, and I loved it, but it was an elaborate hobby. If I had ten free minutes, it wasn’t practical to sit down and scrapbook for that amount of time. Heck, it took me ten minutes just to get my supplies organized! (Though digital scrapbooking was a little bit better when it came to that.) Lots of hobbies involve a relatively long block of time or a lot of stuff – not mine!
Here are a few more reasons that reading and blogging are the perfect hobbies:
- Meet lots of amazing new people! (Yep, that’s you.)
- Understand and empathize with other people more because of the multitude of POVs presented to you through books (and through bloggers’ interpretations of said books).
- Have something to daydream about when you’re supposed to be paying attention to something boring. (NOT recommended for use on family members).
- Learn about places in the world you may never travel to. (Or be inspired to go there!)
- Escape into a world of fantasy when reality just isn’t looking all that peachy.
- Get to talk a lot about something you love. And no one can stop you or stare at you with a glazed-over look when you go on too long!
- Meeting authors is WAY easier than meeting movie stars. (And way more fulfilling too.)
- AND SO MUCH MORE!!
Yep, I could pretty much go on and on with this. These are just a few of the reasons that reading and blogging is an amazing hobby. I’m not gonna lie – there are some drawbacks. (My family would say that the fact that I can always be doing something for my hobby might not be such a good thing at times. And sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of things I want to get done for my blog.) But I still say those of us who love to read and/or blog are pretty darn lucky!
Do you think that reading and blogging are the perfect hobbies? Why or why not? I want to know!