Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
I’m starting to settle into the busyness of the school year. My youngest started school (he’s in the special education program, so I don’t homeschool him – he goes to our public school), which makes things a little less complicated in some ways and more in others. 🙂
My son Jaden and I went to a pre-pub dinner event for S.J. Kincaid’s The Diabolic on Monday. It was an event just for high school students and educators, but it was a pretty low turn-out (probably because school just started and people are probably crazy busy). On the positive side, that meant that we got to chat with Kincaid a bit more. My son was happy to be able to ask as many questions as he wanted. He really loved the book, so he was excited to discuss it with the author!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog:
- Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall – Review & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win a paperback copy of the book!
- The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee – ARC Review
- P.S. I Like You by Kasie West – 4.5 Adorable Stars!
- My Foray into Anime and Manga – Let’s Discuss!
- August Wrap-up Round-Up Link-Up – Link up your August wrap-up posts!
Next week on FYFA:
- The Sin Eater’s Daughter and The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury – Bite-Sized Reviews
- The Graces by Laure Eve – Review of a Witchy YA Read (this is a review from my mom!)
- August Wrap-Up
- August Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- And I’m going to try to get a review of The Scourge up as well, since it releases on the 30th. (I haven’t written that one yet, though – Yes, I’ve actually written the other two posts – well, my mom mostly wrote one of them – and have them scheduled. Two posts written ahead of time has to be some sort of miracle for me!)
- Let’s Discuss – something bookish!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
A couple of blogoversaries and birthdays this week! I hope you’ll visit these bloggers and congratulate them on their special days! Also, check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
- August 30th – A Writer’s Tales‘ Blogoversary
- September 2nd – Serenity @ Lovely Reads‘ Birthday
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some of my favorite posts I read this week:
- Check out all of the posts for the Shattering Stigmas event, which sheds light on mental health issues. (I especially liked Wendy’s Mirrors and Windows post.)
- Kristen over at Metaphors and Moonlight asks Do Spoilers Actually Ruin Books?
- Alexa over at Words off the Pages talks about how Problematic Characters = Great Characters
- Micheline over at Lunar Rainbows asks Do you lend out books?
- Inge guest posts over at Chasing Faerytales with a very informative post: On Beta Reading
- Katie at Doing Dewey asks Do You Mind Unlikeable Characters? (and makes a fantastic point that I hadn’t really thought about before!)
- Cait at Paper Fury talks about Underappreciated Bookworm Talents
- Mary over at Mary Had a Little Book Blog gives lots of interesting insider information about Moderating Panels
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- July Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway! – Last chance to enter to win! (You didn’t have to participate in the wrap-up round-up to enter the giveaway.)
- August Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
There are a TON of these right now!!!
- Pre-order THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR by Katharine McGee to get a set of gorgeous flash tattoos (plus the book will be signed and personalized!)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS ILLUSTRATED EDITION and get a wall sticker and 20% off. Order the deluxe edition to get a tote and 20% off. Or order both to get both the sticker and the tote and 30% off. (UK/AU/NZ residents only)
- Pre-order POPPY MAYBERRY, THE MONDAY by Jennie K. Brown and enter to win fun (and very cute!) swag!
- Pre-order LABYRINTH LOST by Zoraida Cordova and the first 100 pre-orders will get a full color poster of the book’s map!
- Pre-order THE READER by Traci Chee and receive a free limited edition art print.
- Pre-order LITTLE BOT AND SPARROW by Jake Parker and enter to receive a signed print (while supplies last) by Jake Parker. All entrants are also automatically entered for a chance to win one of five custom prints by Jake!
- Pre-order FURTHERMORE to get a fox pin & the chance to win Tahereh Mafi’s favorite things!
- Pre-order CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo or the SIX OF CROWS DUOLOGY Boxed Set and you’ll get a fancy dice set in a branded pouch and a signed bookplate.
- Pre-order METALTOWN by Kristen Simmons and you can enter to win one of four fabulous prize packs!
- Pre-order A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT by Sabaa Tahir to receive an Ember in the Ashes tote!
- Pre-order FALLING FREE by Shannan Martin and get some fun (and unique!) freebies!
- Pre-order AS I DESCENDED by Robin Talley to receive bookmarks and stickers featuring the book’s beautiful cover, plus a signed bookplate!
- Pre-order STEALING SNOW by Danielle Paige to receive a compact mirror!
- Pre-order Sarah J. Maas’s EMPIRE OF STORMS to receive a ToG notebook and/or preorder THE THRONE OF GLASS COLORING BOOK and get a ToG coloring pencils set!!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
Again, lots of giveaways going on around the blogosphere this week!!!
- Head over to Where Are You Going to win a print of a gorgeous lettering project from Six of Crows!
- Canada residents can enter to win an exclusive ARC box of The Diabolic over at A Cupcake and a Latte.
- Author Kimberly Derting is giving away an ARC of Kami Garcia’s THE LOVELY RECKLESS
- Head over to Confessions of a Book Geek for a chance to win a copy of It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover and a chance to win The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh (the second one is for UK/Ireland residents only).
- Lots of blogs participating in the August New Release Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to YA Bibliophile for a chance to win one of three Finished Copies of THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR (US Only)
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for the Shattering Stigmas giveaway!
- It’s Reading Diva’s 5th Blogoversary and she’s celebrating with a few different giveaways! Enter to win a Paperback of It Ends with Us: A Novel by Colleen Hoover and more!
- Scholastic is sponsoring a Back-to-School Giveaway with lots of prizes!
- Star-Crossed Book blog has six giveaways going for their blogoversary: – a chance to win The Distance Between Us by Kasie West, The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, Angelfall by Susan Ee, The Unearthly Trilogy by Cynthia Hand and The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
- Ali over at Arctic books is celebrating her blogoversary with a giveaway!
- Joy over at JOYOUSREADS is giving away a $100 Gift Card for her five year bogoversary!!
- ANOTHER blogoversary!! (There are so many right now!) – Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature is celebrating her 7th blogoversary with a giveaway!!
- Clean Teen Publishing is doing a back-to-school giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Nice! I loved Beauty of Darkness!! Such a good ending to the series! Hope you love it too!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
That’s unfortunate about the author event you went to, but also great that you’re able to interact with him more. Thanks again for putting my giveaway link and I hope you’ll enjoy your new purchase.
Have a great week!
The year is definitely livening up! I will say that I am happy first week all-on duty is over. Every day duty at the bus loop in the afternoon is a nice baking! That is so cool that your son got to have such a meaningful interaction with an author. Have a great week!
Yay! I’m glad your year is going better!
Shattering stigmas has been great, I need to catch up on some of the posts I’ve missed. And nice post on anime/ manga! I’ve never really tried either but I’d like to try some manga, it’s so popular now and our bookstore has a ton. Sounds like a nice author event too- it’s great when kids have time to spend with an author and can ask lots of questions. I would have loved to go to events like that when I was little since books were already my thing.
Have a great week!
Ooh I have The Diabolic to read. I’m glad your son enjoyed it and had a good time talking with the author. It’s great he had more time to ask questions, though I am a bit sad to hear there was a low turn out – just for the author’s sake!
Eeep, so much to click on! And thanks for sharing my post in this round up! *twirls happily* And omg so amazing that you and your son got to chat with an author. THAT IS AMAZING. #goals I haven’t read The Diabolic yet, but I do want to. 😀
I think you’ll like The Diabolic, Cait. It’s nice and stabby. 🙂
That’s so great that you got the chance to talk to the author for a long time! I bet that was great. 🙂
Thanks for sharing my giveaway! I have another one for The Double Life of Mistress Kit Kavanagh happening as well, which isn’t getting as many entries as it should. It was a 5* read, and based on a true story, about a kick-ass female!
Too bad about the low turn-out for the book event but then again it’s always fun to have more one on one time with the author. And it sounds like Jaden loved getting to ask plenty of questions. 🙂 That happened to me and my sister once at a Tracey Garvis Graves signing. For whatever reason there was a small-ish turn-out so we got to just chat a lot informally and it was great. I’ve been hearing good things about The Heart of Darkness!
I’m happy to hear you’re settling into the busyness of school! I still haven’t gotten the complete hang of it, I truly miss my son’s preschool schedule. It was so nice being able to go places together on a Tuesday or Wednesday, without dealing with weekend crowds. Maybe in another few weeks I’ll be mentally be where you’re at, fingers crossed.