My Goings On in August:
- I completed my first course for my copyediting certificate through UC San Diego. Happy to report that I got a very solid A (which I would kind of hope since I’ve already been copyediting for a few years!). Now I need to decide if I jump right into the next course – I think that’s the plan.
- School is back in session. My older two each started two classes at our homeschool co-op (pre-algebra and Spanish for my daughter, algebra and government for my son) and my son started taking a beginning Japanese class at our local community college. (He also went to a Japanese immersion camp at the beginning of the month.) After Labor Day, the rest of our co-op classes start, including the ones I’m teaching. My youngest son has special needs, so he goes to public school, and his classes started last week.
- My son and I went to a pre-pub dinner for S.J. Kincaid’s The Diabolic. Watch the blog for a recap (and a chance to win a signed ARC) next week!
This tweet exchange made my day:
Most Popular Posts:
Why I Can’t Choose a Favorite of Anything – This is actually a really old post that consistently gets a lot of hits, and I can’t figure out exactly why. (I usually just ignore it in my stats, but this time I decided to mention it). All I can assume is that there are lots of people out there with this affliction and they think I might have some sage advice on the topic. (Spoiler alert: No wisdom to be found.)
Other Features & Discussions:
July Recap & Best of the Bunch – In case you missed pics of all the fun activities we did while our exchange student was with us, you can find them here!
August Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up – Link up your August recaps here!
My 2016 Reading Progress:
Still over 30 books ahead on my Goodreads goal. It’s been a good reading year!
August 2016 Reviews
I barely got any reviews up at the beginning of the month, but managed to make up for it a little at the end. Still a slow reviewing month for me. I’m definitely behind (just a look in the right sidebar to see just how far behind)—I need to post some more bite-sized reviews to catch up!
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff | Review | Rating: 3/5
- Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- Treason by S.M. Boyce| Review | Rating: 5/5
- Just a Girl by Ellie Cahill| Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes| Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall | Review | Rating: 4/5
- The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee | Review | Rating: 4/5
- P.S. I Like You by Kasie West| Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- The Scourge by Jennifer A. Nielsen | Review | Rating: 4/5
August Best of the Bunch:
This is one of those weird months where, just by looking at the numbers, my decision should be easy: There’s only one five star read in the bunch. But when I went to go post this, I was actually really surprised that I gave Treason five stars. It’s not that the book wasn’t fantastic—it really was!—but I’ve been reserving my five star ratings for all-time favorites lately, and I’m not sure that this particular book in the series is going to stand out to me enough to garner that title. I’m guessing I wrote my review on a “just-finished-that-amazing-book” high and simply couldn’t contain myself. But after giving it a little distance, I’m not sure that I’d say it’s all that much better than my 4.5 star reads. Maybe it ties with The Sleeping Prince? (And possibly even P.S. I Like You, though the books are as different as night and day and very hard to compare.) Still, I’ll go with my ratings here:
Status: 28/49 Discussions posted
Back on track with my discussions this month!
What Do You Think of Goodreads’ New Look?
Sex and Violence in YA Books: Is There a Difference?
How Reading Can Help Us “See” Hidden Disabilities
My Foray into Anime and Manga
I Dream in YA!
The Perils of Growing a Bigger Blog
Is Celibacy Shaming a Thing?
Fun with Spam!
#BEA16 Day One Wrap-Up & Giveaway!!
#BEA16 Day Two Wrap-Up & Jennifer Niven Holding Up the Universe Giveaway!!
#BEA16 Day Three Wrap-Up and Giveaway
Do Stats and Reports Help You?
Do Author Bios Ever Make You Want to Read a Book?
BEA is Coming Soon! What You Need to Know. (BEA Tips)
A Completely Useless (but kind of fun) Bookish Infographic
The Series Dilemma
Sometimes You Just Need to Disappear for a Little While
How Much Do You Read?
The Fine Line Between “Inspired By” and “Copycat”
Can Book Blogging Lead to a Job
Some Books Just Aren’t All That Memorable
Books that Intimidate Us
2015 End of Year Book Survey
Replying to Comments on Older Posts
What Blogging Has Done to My Bookshelves
What Type of YA MC Would You Be?
Culling the TBR
Status: 4/5 Books Read
The Memory Book was written as a journal—definitely fits this challenge!
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Shooting Stars Mag
Status: 14/12 Books Read
I’m only counting Been Here All Along for this one this month – LGBT
Status: 10/21-30 Books Read
Yikes! Not a one! BEA books are killing me when it comes to this challenge.
Status: 5/12 Series Finished
None. Though, I think technically, according to the rules, I could count the Sin Eater Series since I read both of the books that have been published so far.
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Love at First Page
Status: 7/9-10 New Series
The Sin Eater’s Daughter counts for this one for sure!
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Lisa Loves Literature
Don’t forget to link your August wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up! And check out the giveaway, which will be posted right here on FYFA on the 8th!