Series: Heartbreaker Bay #3
Also in this series: One Snowy Night
Published by Avon on January 24th 2017
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Edelweiss, Blog Tour
My content rating: 18+ (Explicit sex)
There’s no such thing as a little in love…
Elle Wheaten’s priorities: friends, career, and kick-ass shoes. Then there’s the muscular wall of stubbornness that’s security expert Archer Hunt—who comes before everything else. No point in telling Mr. “Feels-Free Zone” that, though. Elle will just see other men until she gets over Archer . . . which should only take a lifetime . . .
There’s no such thing as a little in lust…
Archer’s wanted the best for Elle ever since he sacrificed his law-enforcement career to save her. But now that she’s earned happiness and success, Archer just wants Elle 24/7. Their chemistry could start the next San Francisco Earthquake, and Archer doesn’t want to be responsible for the damage. The alternative? Watch her go out with guys who aren’t him . . .
There is such a thing as…
As far as Archer’s concerned, nobody is good enough for Elle. But when he sets out to prove it by sabotaging her dates, she gets mad—and things get hot as hell. Now Archer has a new mission: prove to Elle that her perfect man has been here all along…
Once again, Jill Shalvis gives us memorable friendships, a steamy romance, witty banter and slightly broken protagonists who are just doing their best to keep it all together—sometimes successfully. The result is a romance that’s easy to connect to and a lot of fun.
What Fed My Addiction:
- A past connection. Just like in the last two books in the series (or, at least, the book and novella—I still need to get my hands on the first book and read it), the two main characters have a connection that stems from the distant past. In this case, we learn right away that Archer saved Elle in some way when she was sixteen, but the details of what happened unfold throughout the book (so I won’t spoil them!)—all we know for sure is that Elle and Archer have a complicated past and their feelings about that past hold them back from jumping into a romance because of feelings of guilt and what Archer fears might be a misplaced sense of obligation on Elle’s part. I enjoyed learning the mystery of what exactly went on that fateful night slowly but surely (Shalvis doles out just enough information to keep us satisfied but holds back enough to keep us interested).
- Archer. Archer is the kind of tough guy you kind of can’t help but love. He’s been holding himself back from moving in on Elle for a year (or, really, MUCH longer) because he doesn’t want to be a reminder of Elle’s worst moment or allow her to be with him because she feels she owes him. But the idea of her with someone else … kind of kills him. I loved that even though it took him a little while to jump into a romance with Elle, once he was in, he was in—there was no wishy-washiness on his part!
- Elle. Elle is strong and independent, but definitely vulnerable where Archer’s concerned. She has a hard time letting people in because of her past, yet she’s managed to form a strong web of friends and people who love her to make up for the lack of family connection.
- Friendships! This series features such a fantastic group of friends. I want to be part of their group!
What Left Me Hungry for More:
- A little stalkerish. Okay, so Archer works in security and he has the means to keep tabs on Elle—and he has. You don’t know the entire extent of it until later in the book, so I won’t spoil it, but he’s kind of kept Elle on his radar for the past eleven years. I mean, you understand why—he has the very best of intentions—but if you look at it from a real-world perspective it does border on being possibly creepy. I almost felt like Elle let him off the hook for that a little too easily. (But, then again, by that time in the romance, I don’t know if I could have stood more waffling on Elle’s part, so …)
If you’re a fan of Shalvis, I think you’ll find this book is everything you’re looking for. These are definitely standalones, so if you haven’t picked up the series yet, feel free to dive right in with this book. I give this one 4/5 stars!
***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via Edelweiss and Inkslinger Blog Tours in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
About the Author:
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jill Shalvis lives in a small town in the Sierras full of quirky characters. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in her books is, um, mostly coincidental. Look for Jill’s sexy contemporary and award-winning books wherever romances are sold and click on the blog button above for a complete book list and daily blog detailing her city-girl-living-in-the-mountains adventures.