This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
Yesterday was my daughter’s first swim meet of the season and today we’re celebrating my youngest’s birthday with extended family, so it’s a busy weekend! I’ve also been working on a final edit of Allie Juliette Mousseau’s latest (which she’s writing under the name Raeah Wilding), Orion.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week:
- Brooding YA Hero by Carrie DiRisio: Review & Broody’s Top Ten Addictions – You just have to go and read Broody’s top ten addictions because they’re hilarious!
- Scion of the Fox by S.M. Beiko: Review, Giveaway & Beiko’s Top Ten Addictions – And then, after you read Broody’s, read Beiko’s Top Ten Addictions while you’re at it!
- My Unpopular Opinion About Banned Books Week: Let’s Discuss! – I had thoughts about Banned Book Week that I don’t think everyone will agree with—at least not fully
Next week on FYFA:
- Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham: A Dual Review with AJ @ Read All the Things!
- Bite-sized reviews of Hanna Who Fell from the Sky, Nyxia, Frost Like Night, My Heart and Other Black Holes and The Raven Boys Series.
- Seize Today by Pintip Dunn: Review & Giveaway
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Latest FYFA Giveaway Winners!!:
- None this week!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- October 22nd – Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature‘s Birthday
In case anyone’s been paying close attention, you might have noticed that I sometimes skip events that are listed on the calendar. There actually is a reason for this—basically, I don’t post about a blogoversary if the blog hasn’t been updated in months. Why? I mean, the blog is still there, right? I just made the decision that it might actually be more awkward to wish someone a happy blogoversary on a blog they’re no longer actively working on than to ignore it altogether. If the blog still exists, I leave it on the calendar for now, just in case the blogger returns to us!
I’ll update you next week.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Cait @ Paper Fury got a publishing deal!!! Her book A Thousand Perfect Notes will be coming out in June of 2018. You can even already pre-order the book on The Book Depository, so go do it now! (I did!)
- This is actually a Twitter thread, but I’m putting it up here anyway since I feel like Maggie Stiefvater had some great ideas about why adults actually read YA.
- AJ @ Read All the Things tells us about foods she’d eat if she was fictional
- Book Riot has a great idea for travel mementos: collecting library cards!
- If you’ve ever written a YA book (or contemplated writing one) Serendipity’s 8th YA Discovery Contest starts November 1st!
I’m now putting these in order of release date to make it easier on myself (and you, I think). Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order THE EMPRESS by S.J. Kincaid for a chance to win a signed Empress cover, author illustrated THE DIABOLIC and INSIGNIA trilogy, clock, USB hub, fun little magnets, bookmark, pin and quote cards! (ends 10/30)
- ***Pre-order HEATHER, THE TOTALITY by Matthew Weiner to receive a print of the book cover signed by the author. (ends 11/6)
- ***Pre-order HAVEN by Mary Lindsey to receive a moon necklace, lavender sachet, bookmarks, and a signed postcard. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order RENEGADES by Marissa Meyer to receive your choice of a Renegades or Anarchist button pack! (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order ROSEMARKED by Livia Blackburne to receive a signed bookmark, bookplate, postcard with ROSEMARKED map, a PDF of bonus content emailed to you with a self edit letter Blackburne wrote to herself after the first draft, and an early deleted scene that shows how the book could have gone in a VERY different direction. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order RETRIBUTION RAILS by Erin Bowman to receive Kate & Jesse — an exclusive novella set after the events of Vengeance Road and only available via this pre-order campaign! You’ll also receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, stickers, a Vengeance Road laptop decal and two Vengeance Road quote cards. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE NOVEMBER GIRL by Lydia Kang to receive a swag bundle. Plus the first 150 pre-orders will receive a wish bracelet and buttons as well! (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE SPEAKER by Traci Chee (from a participating store) to receive a custom journal emblazoned with the Guard symbol and a quote, a signed bookplate, and three decals designed for each of the groups in THE SPEAKER. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THIS MORTAL COIL by Emily Suvata to receive a signed bookmark, a numbered, signed, limited-print bookplate, 2 colorful DNA Origami sheets so you can fold your own DNA models, a letter with exclusive insights and secrets about the world of THIS MORTAL COIL, and a chance to win the grand prize pack! (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE REBELS OF GOLD by Elise Kova to get exclusive swag. The more pre-orders that are received, the more swag will be unlocked. (ends 12/4)
- Pre-order MEET CUTE by various authors, including Jennifer L. Armentrout, Dhonielle Clayton and Katie Cotugno, to receive a set of 6 pins based on the cover! (ends 1/1)
- Pre-order LOLA DUTCH IS A LITTLE BIT MUCH and receive a digital package that includes: Coloring Pages, Paper Puppets, Mini Guided Learning Activities with Lola and much more! (ends 1/29)
- Preorder REIGN THE EARTH by A.C. Gaughen to receive an exclusive map poster. (ends 1/29)
- Pre-order THE CASE FOR JAMIE by Brittany Cavallaro to receive a signed book and exclusive Charlotte Holmes swag. (ends 3/5)
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed with this week’s posts)
- The Knowing by Sharon Cameron: 5-Star Review & Giveaway!
- Otherworld by Jason Segel & Kirsten Miller: Review & Giveaway
- September Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway (with a Make Me Read It Twist)
- Quick Recap of the Adam Silvera/Lauren Oliver Author Event (& a Giveaway!) – Still time to enter to win a signed copy of Ringer!
- October Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Check out Bookish’s Teen Read Week Giveaways
- Enter to win this month’s NOVLbox from @TheNovl!
- Head over to Rebel Mommy Book Blog for a chance to win Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
- Head over to Metaphors and Moonlight for a chance to win a Copy of BERSERKER by Emmy Laybourne
- It’s Darque Dreamer Reads’ Birthday and she’s celebrating with a big giveaway!
- Head over to We Live and Breathe Books for a chance to win A Short History of the Girl Next Door
- Penguin Random House is giving away some Wicked Reads and a Star Wars Prize Pack!
- Read It Forward is giving you the chance to win seven YA stories that are sure to satisfy this Halloween season
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for a chance to win a finished copy of THE INNOCENCE TREATMENT
- It’s It Starts at Midnight’s four-year blogoversary!! Tell Shannon you love her and then enter her giveaway for (and I quote) “Whatever the Hell You Want (INT)“! (See why I love her so?)
- Also head over to It Starts at Midnight for the Shattering Stigmas giveaway, where Six Winners Will Receive a Mental Health Book of Choice (INT)
- YA & Wine has a few giveaways going on (check her site for even more). Enter to win a hardcover copy of Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor.
- Penguin is giving you the chance to surprise your book club with free books for a year!
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag for a chance to win a special Hunting Prince Dracula Prize Pack
- The Bookkeeper’s Secrets is doing a year-long giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!