This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
Big news this week!!! I got a three-book publishing deal with Macmillan Children’s!! That’s right—not only do they love my MG, they decided they want to make it into a series!
I’m still working out the full series arc, but my editor and I agree that we need to end the series big. We’re thinking that my MC should probably die in the final book (sorry for the spoilers, but I just have to tell someone). The first book is set to release in January of 2020.
We’ve already started talking book tours, so let me know where you live in the comments and I’ll try to get around to your city!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week:
- 5 Star Review – Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary
- Why We’ve Banned Books in our Household
- A Change in Focus – Let’s Discuss
- Announcing BookBloggicon: a New Annual Book Event You WON’T Want to Miss!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
- Weirdly, there are no blogger birthdays or blogoversaries in April. Go figure.
Since I got that publishing deal, I got access to a few really early manuscripts, and I’m SUPER excited to read them! Of course, these don’t have covers yet, but I’m most excited about reading Stephenie Meyer’s long-awaited follow-up to The Host (a personal favorite of mine), The Seeker. I can’t tell you how long I’ve been waiting for this book!
Another one that I’m bursting to tell you about is a top-secret project that Marie Lu is working on. I got chosen as a beta reader, and I’m over the moon with excitement. All I can tell you is that it involves a group of teen sanitation workers who fight in an epic battle against fire-breathing compost monsters. I’ve only read the first 20 pages so far, but it’s fantabulous!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight tells us about her elaborate pre-reading rituals. Some of these sound a little strange (especially that one that involves cheeseburger-scented candles), but I certainly don’t judge!
- AJ @ Reads All the Things shared her thesis on non-linear narrative structure on her blog (all 285 pages!). She uses some great examples from literature and also manages to pull in a few episodes of Bugs Bunny, which was a fun surprise!
- Since April is National Soft Pretzel Month (along with some other things—you really should check out the list), Daniela @ Nocturnal Devices shares her top 10 YA pretzel books. You’ll never look at this snack in the same way again!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order STORMCASTER by Cinda Chima to receive a chance to win a hurricane sent to your worst enemy! (ends 4/2)
- Pre-order DREAD NATION by Justina Ireland to receive an exclusive zombie repellant (ends 4/2)
- Pre-order SOMETIMES YOU FLY by Katherine Applegate to receive a poorly made paper airplane. (ends 4/2)
- Pre-order THE DIMINISHED by Kaitlyn Sage Patterson to receive a shrink-ray gun. (ends 4/9)
- Pre-order THE LAST TIME I LIED by Riley Sager to receive a lie detector test administered by the author! (ends 4/30)
- Pre-order ONLY HUMAN by Sylvain Neuvel to receive a puppy-human hybrid (breed of the puppy is not guaranteed) (ends 5/1)
- Pre-order PUDDIN’ by Julie Murphy to receive Murphy’s favorite dessert, signed in whipped cream by the author. (ends 5/6)
- Pre-order LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff to receive an android modeled after your ex-boyfriend or girlfriend (but way nicer). (ends 5/28)
- Pre-order BREAKOUT by Kate Messner to receive a Get Out of Jail Free Card. (ends 6/4)
- Pre-order ENDLESS WATER, STARLESS SKY by Rosamund Hodge to receive a chance to win a cruise on Mars! (ends 7/24)
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Girl Plus Books turned twenty and Tanya’s celebrating by giving away a pony!
- In honor of National Soft Pretzels month, check out the All About Soft Pretzels Blog Hop!
- Since tax day is almost here, Greg @ Book Haven is giving away a free bookish tax consultation! He’ll analyze your book spending and let you know how you can best use those books as tax deductions!
- Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight is giving away a book a day in April. To enter, you just have to tweet to her (@whykristenburns) about your book idea involving a vampire-leprechaun-gorgon-harpy hybrid. Let’s get those ideas coming!
- Grace @ Rebel Mommy Book Blog is giving away a selection of books chosen by her baby girl. Whichever books the baby drools on the most will be the ones you win!
- Lauren @ Shooting Stars Mag is giving away a Love, Simon movie watch-a-thon. You and 30 of your closest friends can come to her house and watch a private screening of the movie. She’s making the popcorn!
- Jessica @ a GREAT read is giving away her entire collection of book sleeves! I’m pretty sure she owns like 50 of them, so this is a fantastic prize!
- Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature is giving away a new romance written by James Dashner called The Maze Lover.
- Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog is celebrating three years of being papercut-free by giving away a Kindle!
- Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books teaches you how to actually breathe books. She has a giveaway going for her special bookish ventilator system!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Oh, and in case you haven’t figured it out yet …
Hope you enjoyed my kooky edition of the Sunday Post!
(Those posts listed in the “Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week” section are actually past April Fools’ Day posts I’ve put up. Check them out!)