This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
My middle daughter headed to her first homecoming dance last night (with a group of friends—I haven’t had to deal with dating yet. 🙂 ) It was fun to go buy her a dress (especially since we got the perfect one on clearance for a ridiculous price) and to help her get ready.
Plus, yesterday was my mom’s 70th birthday and she retired on Friday! Several of you fellow bloggers know my mom, so you know how awesome she is (it’s okay if you like her more than me—I get it 🙂 ). Now that she’s retired, she’ll have even more time to go to book events and stuff with me!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Top Ten Favorite Authors I Need to Read More!
- Bite-Sized Reviews of Shadow of the Fox, The Talon Series, Misfits, and Drama
- A Spark of White Fire by Sangu Mandanna: Review & Giveaway
- September Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- October – I Heart Romance & YA‘s Blogoversary
- October – Reading, Writing, and Random Musings‘ Blogoversary
- October 1st – Sarah @ Sarah Withers Blogs‘ Birthday
- October 1st – Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer‘s Birthday
- October 2nd – Rain City Librarian‘s Blogoversary
- October 4th – Jackie @ Jackie’s Forget Me Nots‘ Birthday
- October 5th – Ikram @ Ikram Reads a Lot‘s Birthday
- October 5th – Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books‘ Birthday
I was susceptible to the NetGalley email again (and the pretty cover) and decided to pick up White Stag. I checked this one out on Goodreads and was definitely intrigued. And then I also picked up Evermore, the sequel to Everless. Even though I had a few issues with the pacing of Everless, I remember that it ended so well that I still really wanted to read the next one (It got really good after some things were revealed and I want to see where those revelations take us). We shall see!
Oh how I’ve been loving these books from Rick Riordan’s new imprint. When my publicist contact at Disney asks if I want these for review, it’s an automatic YES! Dragon Pearl is coming out in January!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Samantha @ The Book Disciple tells us why she sucks at bookish challenges
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order THE DARKDEEP by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs to receive an exclusive holographic bookmark and you’ll be entered to win a book club pack, a character named after you, or a Nintendo Switch! (US & CAN)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order STAR-CROSSED by Pintip Dunn to receive a star wishlet! (INT)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order BROKEN THINGS by Lauren Oliver to receive a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order BONELESS MERCIES by April Genevieve Tucholke to receive a wolf necklace inspired by the book. (US only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order A MAP OF DAYS by Ransom Riggs to receive a collectible pin, and be entered to win an exclusive A MAP OF DAYS ViewMaster! (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order THE LAST WISH OF SASHA CADE by Cheyanne Young to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker, and a wish bracelet. (US/CAN only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order GRIM LOVELIES by Megan Shepherd to receive a branded tote bag. You’ll also be entered to win the grand prize! (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order THE LADY’S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY by Mackenzi Lee to receive a digital, never-before-seen epilogue to The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue. (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order MISFITS by Jen Calonita to receive a Fairy Tale Reform School / Royal Academy Rebels crossover story—When Devin Met Gilly! (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order THE SPY WITH THE RED BALLOON by Katherine Locke to receive nine character cards and a signed bookmark. (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-0rder SHADOW OF THE FOX by Julie Kagawa to receive a magnetic bookmark, a button and a signed bookplate. (US & CAN)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order BLACK WINGS BEATING by Alex London to receive a signed Bookplate. Plus, the first 150 people to order the book will get an enamel pin. And until 9/24 you can also enter to win a hardcover copy with written annotations by Cassandra Clare, Marie Lu, and Holly Black and signed by Alex London. (ends 10/1)
- Pre-order WHAT IF IT’S US by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera to receive a three-pack of book-themed buttons. (US only)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order SAVE THE CAT! WRITES A NOVEL by Jessica Brody to receive a FREE companion eBook containing bonus beat sheets (plot breakdowns) for 10 popular novels. (INT)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order THE DEVIL’S THIEF by Lisa Maxwell to receive character art, a map, a bookmark, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order BRIDGE OF CLAY by Markus Zusak to receive a book club kit containing a Collectible Print, a
Book Thief/Bridge of Clay Discussion Guide, 6 Coasters, a Debossed Notebook and 6 Pens. (US Only)(ends 10/9)
- Pre-order LOSE WELL by Chris Gethard to receive a video message, an audio file you can use as your outgoing voicemail message, or he’ll call you directly for a two-minute chat! (ends 10/15)
- Pre-order WIND RIDER by P.C. Cast to receive a signed bookplate and a digital chapter sampler from P.C. and Kristin Cast’s new novel, THE DYSASTERS! (US & CAN)(ends 10/15)
- Pre-order ONE GIANT LEAP by Heather Kaczynski to receive a holographic character art print and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/22)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive enamel pin. (US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and India)(ends 10/22)
- Pre-order THE DARKEST STAR by Jennifer L. Armentrout to receive THE PACKAGE, the first Daemon and Kat bonus scene in several years, and The Darkest Star inspired nail polish. (INT)(ends 10/29)
- Pre-order LOVE FOR TWO LIFETIMES by Martina Boone to receive a signed bookplate, a limited edition original art card with calligraphy by Jodi Meadows, and an exclusive letter for the reader. (US) Or a digital art version of the art card, a digital version of the letter and a digital copy of Jodi’s hand-lettered calligraphy of a poem from the book. (INT)(ends 11/1)
- Pre-order NO BORING STORIES! by Julie Falatko to receive a cute pencil and notebook. (ends 11/5)
- Pre-order KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES: FLASHBACK by Shannon Messenger to receive two limited edition Iggy postcards, a Flashback print, and a signed bookplate! (CAN only)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order FROZEN REIGN by Kathryn Purdie to receive a limited edition art card with quote, a signed and personalized bookplate, and a set of 3 bookmarks. (INT)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF THE BLAZING PHOENIX by Julie Daw to receive a signed bookplate, enamel pin, quote sticker and bookmark. (US only)(ends 11/6)
- Pre-order PULP by Robin Talley to receive 2 autographed postcards, 2 bookmarks, 1 signed bookplate (personalized upon request), and 1 bonus As I Descended sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only for swag. Contest open INT)(ends 11/12)
- ***Pre-order THE STORYTELLER by Traci Chee to receive an engraved bookmark and the chance to win a grand prize. (US only)(ends 11/12)
- Pre-order ALL THE WANDERING LIGHT by Heather Fawcett to receive an exclusive world map, a signed bookplate, a bookmark and two stickers. (INTL)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS by Cassandra Clare to receive a deluxe Shadowhunter fairytale retelling booklet. Featuring 35 pages of exclusive art and a note from Cassandra Clare. (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order THE WINTER OF THE WITCH by Katherine Arden to receive a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 1/7)
- Pre-order SONG OF THE DEAD by Sarah Glenn Marsh to receive a signed bookmark, an 11×17 beautiful map of the world of the Reign of the Fallen series (art by Jessica Khoury), and four new character cards including everyone’s favorite bear, Lysander! (art by Jo Painter) (INTL)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order THE BIRDS, THE BEES, AND YOU AND ME by Olivia Hinebaugh to receive an enamel pin. (US Only)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order KING OF SCARS by Leigh Bardugo to receive an enamel pin! (US only)(ends 1/28)
- Pre-order THE PRIORY OF THE ORANGE TREE by Samantha Shannon to receive an exclusive signed poster. (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 2/25)
- Pre-order A QUESTION OF HOLMES by a signed, personalized copy, plus an exclusive illustrated print. (INT)(ends 3/5)
- Pre-order DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE by Joan He to receive 3 swag items (they won’t be all paper-made–actual items TBD closer to release date). (INT)(ends 4/1)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @edwardanddamon is celebrating her birthday by giving away one book from her most anticipated releases for the month.
- @RosalynEves is giving away a signed copy of Blood Rose Rebellion and Lost Crow Conspiracy and swag
- @EachStarAWorld is giving away an ARC of FIRESTARTER, the third book in the Timekeeper trilogy!
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win a copy of WHEN ELEPHANTS FLY by Nancy Ricgardson Fischer
- On Facebook, Julie Kagawa is giving away one of her famed handmade dragons!
- Head over to Once Upon a Bookcase for a chance to win a finished copy of A BLADE SO BLACK
- Head over to The Infinite Limits of Love to win $20 Worth of Books
- Head over to Magic, Myth & Mischief for a chance to win THE STORM RUNNER or PRIDE
- Lots of blogs participating in the Clear Your Shelf Giveaway Hop!
- Enter to win a trip for two to the Miami Book Fair!
- Head over to Mary Had a Little Book Blog for a huge Epic Reads Giveaway!!
- On my blog, you’ll find the August Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway and the September 2018 Discussion Challenge & Giveaway
- Star-Crossed Book Blog is celebrating its four year blogoversary with a huge giveaway!
- Shealea @ That Bookshelf Bitch is giving away ARCs of Richard Lawson’s All We Can Do Is Wait and Kim Liggett’s Heart of Ash to two Filipino readers!
- Head over to Clean Wholesome Romance for a chance to win a 6 Month Kindle Unlimited Subscription
- Enter Read It Forward’s weekly giveaway! This one is a Thrilling Read and a Le Tote Subscription!
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Happy birthday and congrats to your mom! I hope your daughter enjoyed Homecoming. Have a great week!
First homecoming… what a milestone. And how fun to go with a group of friends. Congrats to your mom on her retirement! Good for her. My mom had planned to retire earlier this year but with the passing of my father she decided to keep working for a bit longer. Being home alone just wouldn’t be ideal right now. It’s too soon. Hope you have a great week, Nicole!
My mom has definitely been looking forward to retirement. It means she’ll have more time to hang out at our house. 🙂
Aww homecoming dance! How she had a great time. Happy birthday to your mom. Enjoy your new books and have a great week!
Thanks, Grace! She did end up having a lot of fun!
Wow! Sounds like a great week! Congrats to your daughter for her first dance and your mom for retiring! I already feel like retirement is just a dream! Lol!!
Nice new reads too! All totally new to me ones! Hope you enjoy them all!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Yeah, she’s happy to finally be able to quit work—it’s been a long time coming!
Congratulations to your mom on her retirement! I hope she enjoys her post-work life. I can’t say I enjoy clothing shopping, but I am glad you had fun and found a bargain too. Thank you for the birthday wishes. XOXO
I just realized that your birthday entry says “Samantha,” which sounds so odd to me, I almost didn’t recognize it as you. I copy and paste those entries from the calendar, but I have to go change yours to Sam. You’re Sam to me!! LOL! (Happy birthday again, by the way. 🙂 )
It was my school’s homecoming dance as well. I didn’t go, but it will be fun to see the students pictures that they’ll share at school this week. I’m being soooooo careful about requesting e-galleys. I’ve got to stop requesting review books. I have so many I already own I need to read. Have a great week!
I know, it’s a constant struggle. I don’t want to request too much, but there are SO many books that look amazing!
Happy Birthday and congrats on your mom’s retirement. Finally gave my daughter’s formal dresses to her to deal with! LOL. They have spent years in my closets. Have a great week.
Oh, funny! I actually still have a formal dress from when I was in high school, believe it or not. It’s funny how it’s still hanging in my closet after all these years.
Congrats and happy birthday to your mom! That’s so cool she goes to bookish events with you! And yay for homecoming! I totally agree- this going with friends bit is fine, I am NOT looking forward to the boyfriend stage lol.
Hope your reads are good this week!
Yeah, we’ve just started dealing with the dating stuff with our oldest—and it’s already a bit of drama. LOL!
Aw, I hope your daughter had a great time -and going with friends is awesome! 🙂
Happy Birthday (and congratulations) to your mom; she’s fantastic, but I love you both equal.
Ha! Glad she doesn’t outshine me TOO much. 🙂
Thanks Nicole! Looking forward to going to more book events with you. Also looking forward to going to see Dear Evan Hansen in February. Thanks for the great birthday present! Love you!!
I can’t wait!! Love you!
I hope your daughter had a great time at homecoming. That is wonderful that your mom is now retired, now you have more time to spend together at bookish events. Happy Birthday to you mom 🙂 Have a lovely week ahead.
Yes, we already went to one this past week!
Happy retirement to your Mom! I’m so happy to hear that she’ll have even more time for your family and for reading and books. So glad your daughter had a good time at Homecoming. That must have been fun for her!
Mom and I already attended one post-retirement book event together and had a great time! 🙂
Sounds like you had a great week with fun happenings. Enjoy your new week and I hope you find a bit of time for your reading! Anne – Books of MY Heart
Thanks! It never feels like there’s enough time in the day, but I guess I just have to get used to that.
Nice getting Evermore! And happy birthday to your mom!
Happy Birthday to your mom! Homecoming dress shopping sounds like so much fun. I hope your daughter had a great time at her dance.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who got sucked in by that beautiful cover on White Stag. The synopsis thankfully sounds really good too.
Oh, I don’t even pretend to not judge a book by its cover—I do it all the time!
I hope your middle daughter had a wonderful time at her dance and a huge Happy Birthday to your mom and congratulations to her for retiring! What a wonderful week for her and for you too since she’ll be able to go to more book events! I’m so happy for you two!
We already went to one book event together this past week, and it was fantastic!
I hope your daughter had fun! Happy Birthday and congrats to your mom!! I hope she has a wonderful retirement.
I saw the email for White Stag but I passed it over. I just wasn’t sure. Can’t wait to see what you think, so I can kick myself in the butt for not grabbing it when I had the chance. lol
I agree that it’s always frustrating when you pass on a book and then see lots of good reviews. But you can’t take them all! 🙂
White Stag does sound good, doesn’t it? And I love that cover. Happy Birthday and retirement to your mom! I hope your daughter had fun at the Homecoming dance. I hope you have a great week!
The cover totally won me over. I won’t even try to deny it.