This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
My daughter’s been having a fabulous time in Costa Rica! We’ve been able to get texts when they’re in an area with wi-fi, and it sounds like it’s been a fantastic trip filled with wildlife she never imagined she’d get to see (her words). I can’t wait till she gets back on Wednesday so she can give us all the details!
Tuesday is my 20th anniversary!! My husband and I were high school sweethearts, so we’ve actually been together for 27 years, but as of Tuesday we’ve been married for 20. Life is an adventure, and I’m so thankful that I’ve had him with me for so much of it (well over half my life!). Love you, sweetie!!
We booked a trip to an all-inclusive in Cancun in November to celebrate! Woo hoo!!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Bite-Sized Reviews of I Love You So Mochi, Girl Against the Universe, Midsummer’s Mayhem, and Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray
- Fun with SPAM! #7
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- June 12th – Jordan @ The Heart of a Book Blogger‘s Birthday
I found out that one of the women in my critique group had written a MG book, so of course I had to pick it up! I bought Cookie Cutters & Sled Runners without even knowing what it’s about, but after reading the Goodreads description and discovering the MC has OCD, I’m even more eager to read it!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Ace of Bens and Stay on the Page are hosting 30 Days of Pride
- Lots of people have book lists up for Pride month. Here are just a few:
- Someone Will Remember Us – June LGBT+ Book Releases List 1, List 2
- Forever & Everly – 16 Pride Month Book Recommendations! My Favorite Queer Books with Intersectional Representation
- Lady Gets Lit – My Queer Recommendations: Books I’ve Read & Loved (& wishlist)
- Drizzle & Hurricane Books – 20 YA BOOKS TO READ FOR PRIDE MONTH
- Riveted @ Simon Teen – 23 YA LGBTQIA+ Books You Need to Read ASAP
- Refinery29 – 35 Outstanding LGBTQ+ Books Of 2019
- A Mighty Girl – True Colors: LGBTQ Books Starring Mighty Girls for Kids, Teens, & Parents
- The Archive – 11 Fascinating LGBT History Books to Read for Pride Month
- KidLit TV – Award-Winning Kid Lit for Pride Month 2019
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order STORM AND FURY by Jennifer Armentrout from Fountain Bookstore to receive a signed book, bookmark and Book Beau bag. (INT)(ends 6/9)
- Pre-order MIDSUMMER’S MAYHEM by Rajani LaRocca OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker or sticker sheet while supplies last, and an electronic copy (PDF) of a special MIDSUMMER’S MAYHEM COOKBOOK that contains all the recipes from the book! US purchasers will also be entered to win prizes. (INT)(ends 6/10)
- Pre-order PLANT PARENTING by Leslie F. Halleck to receive a special packet of seeds collected from the author’s garden! US Entrants will also be entered to win a grand prize giveaway. (INT)(ends 6/10)
- Pre-order TEETH IN THE MIST by Dawn Kurtagich to receive one of eight exclusive pre-order gifts. (UK, USA and CANADA only!)(ends 6/10)
- Pre-order STAR WARS: ALPHABET SQUADRON by Alexander Freed to receive an exclusive iron-on patch! (US only)(ends 6/11)
- Pre-order MAGIC FOR LIARS by Sarah Gailey to receive an enamel pin. (US/Can)(ends 6/11)
- Pre-order I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE by Kristina Forest to receive a Chloe and Eli 5×7 print, a Chloe enamel pin, and a bookmark. OR request it from your local library to receive the print and bookmark. (US only)(ends 6/11)
- Pre-order THE PAPER & HEARTS SOCIETY by Lucy Powrie to receive an official membership pin. (US/ROI)(ends 6/12)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (House Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive house pin badge. (UK/ROI or AU/NZ only)(ends 6/12)
- Pre-order THE BEHOLDER by Anna Bright OR request it at your local library for a chance to win one of three BEHOLDER-themed cross-stitches. (US only)(ends 6/13)
- Pre-order SOMETHING LIKE GRAVITY by Amber Smith to receive a special swag bag (think: bookmarks, stickers, pins, and more!). (ends 6/17)
- Pre-order THE LEMON SISTERS by Jill Shalvis from Mysterious Galaxy bookstore to receive a luggage tag featuring the book’s cover art! (ends 6/17)
- Pre-order THE ART OF BREAKING THINGS by Laura Sibson to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate & stamped postcard. The author will also donate to RAINN and you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 6/17)
- Pre-order THE EVIL QUEEN by Gena Showalter to receive a golden apple necklace! (US/Can only)(ends 6/24)
- Pre-order SWITCHBACK by Danika Stone to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark and postcard. Plus you’ll be entered to win other goodies! (INT)(ends 5/27) PLUS there’s a library only giveaway (scroll through the thread to see the pic with details! (INT)(ends 6/28)
- Pre-order STRONGER THAN A BRONZE DRAGON by Mary Fan OR request it from your library to receive a signed postcard, a magnet, and a red envelope containing a mystery prize. (INT)(ends 6/20)
- Pre-order MOM AND DAD, WE NEED TO TALK by Cameron Huddleston to receive a free conversation starter cheat sheet with 10 tips to remember before talking to your (aging) parents about their finances. (ends 6/24)
- Pre-order EVVIE DRAKE STARTS OVER by Linda Holmes to receive an exclusive signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 6/25)
- Pre-order TEMPER by Layne Fargo to receive a bookmark and signed sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only)(7/1)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF RUIN by Tracy Banghart OR request it from your local library to receive a postcard with a hand-lettered quote from the book. (INT) US Purchasers will also receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, and a full-color map. (INT)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order WICKED FOX by Kat Cho OR request it from your local library to receive beautiful character cards created by the amazingly talented Alexis Castellanos. (INT)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order HEART OF BARKNESS by Spencer Quinn to receive a digital copy of “Upper Story.” (US/Can)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a signed bookplate, and an email containing exclusive bonus content set in the Letters to the Lost/More Than We Can Tell universe. Plus, 1 Grand Prize Winner will have a character named after them in a future published book, to be decided between you and Brigid! (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order WANDERERS by Chuck Wendig to receive an exclusive pin! (US only)(ends 7/1)
- Pre-order PAST PERFECT LIFE by Elizabeth Eulberg to receive a signed bookplate and bookmark. (US & CAN)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order THE LAST WORD by Samantha Hastings OR request it at your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker, and a vintage-style handkerchief. (INT)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order ME, MYSELF, AND HIM by Chris Tebbetts to be entered to win a t-shirt (one will be given away for every 10 pre-orders) and a grand prize. Also, for every pre-order $1 will be donated to Pride Center of Vermont. (US only)(ends 7/8)
- ***Pre-order THE TRAITOR’S KINGDOM by Erin Beaty to receive bookmarks and signed bookplates for all three books in the series. (INT)(ends 7/9)
- Pre-order STEALING HOME by Becky Wallace OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, postcard, and baseball charm wish bracelet. The first thirty pre-orders get a navy blue wrap bracelet! (US/CAN)(ends 7/9)
- ***Pre-order PUMPKINHEADS by Rainbow Rowell to receive an original art print designed by illustrator Faith Erin Hicks and signed by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks. Plus, you’ll be entered to win a trip to the PUMPKINHEADS launch event on 8/27 for both you and a guest! (US/CAN)(ends 7/15)
- Pre-order SPIN THE DAWN by Elizabeth Lim to receive exclusive art, an official bookmark and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order any of the DIARY OF AN ICE PRINCESS books by Christina Soontornvat or request them from your local library to receive a bookmark (with fun science activity instructions!) and a sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a custom digital black-and-white portrait by the book’s illustrator, Barbara Szepesi Szucs and a pack of six early middle grade and chapter books! (INT)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order TINY BUT MIGHTY: Kitten Lady’s Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines by Hannah Shaw to receive an enamel pin featuring the cover kitten. (US only)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN by Katy Upperman OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark, a vinyl watercolor poppy sticker, and an exclusive bookplate (personalized and signed). If you’re in the US, you’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order WILDER GIRLS by Rory Power, SPIN THE DAWN by Elizabeth Lim, or HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS by Erin A. Craig to receive an Underlined pillowcase. (US only)(ends 8/6)
- Pre-order THE DOWNSTAIRS GIRL by Stacy Lee OR request it from your local library to receive a sturdy door hanger, which also makes an excellent bookmark (US & INT) and a butterfly knot (hand tied by the author), which is long enough to use as a bookmark (US purchases only). (INT)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order MIDNIGHT BEAUTIES by Megan Shepherd to receive a specialized leather bookmark, a cute sticker, a signed bookplate and an exclusive art print from Melanie Bourgeois. If you pre-order by 6/14, you’ll also get access to an exclusive eNovella about Cricket, “Tricks and Whispers”! (US & CAN)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order THINGS YOU SAVE IN A FIRE by Katherine Center from Blue Willow Bookshop to receive a signed/personalized copy, a bookmark, and special SWAG. (ends 8/12)
- ***Pre-order ZIGGY, STARDUST & ME by James Brandon OR request it from your local library to receive an official bookmark and cover sticker. Pre-orders will also receive a “Gay is Good” vintage remake button, & a signed bookplate (hardcovers only). Plus, a $1 donation will be made to BAAITS. (INT)(ends 8/15)
- Pre-order THE SPINNER OF DREAMS by K.A. Reynolds OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and sticker featuring the cover art (for pre-orders, the bookmark will come signed). The first 100 US pre-orders will receive two postcards, a signed bookmark, sticker, and a black crow feather enamel pin. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL by Mara Rutherford OR request it from your local library to receive two 4”x6” prints of character art. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- ***Pre-order THE MANY COLORS OF HARPREET SINGH by Supriya Kelkar to receive a signed bookmark & bookplate. (US only)(ends 9/2)
- Pre-order MOMENTOUS EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF A CACTUS by Dusti Bowling to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, & bonus story. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Illustrated Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive Goblet of Fire tote bag. (UK/ROI)(ends 10/7) OR (AU/NZ)(ends 9/18)
- Pre-order CALL DOWN THE HAWK by Maggie Stiefvater from specified bookstores to receive a signed limited edition bookplate (I believe it features Maggie’s art?). (INT)(ends 11/4)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- I’m giving away a signed copy of OBSIDIO by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- @UtopiaMind is giving away some ARCS
- @actualgina is giving away a copy of FOR A MUSE OF FIRE by Heidi Heilig + THE GIRL KING by Mimi Yu
- @recitrachel is giving away a spine art drawing of up to 5 books of your choosing!
- @KatyUpperman is giving away a copy of HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN
- @savvy_book is giving away a mystery unreleased arc
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the May Wrap-Up Round-Up and the June Discussion Challenge and Giveaway.
- Head over to Ace of Bens for a chance to win an ARC of THE GRAVITY OF US by Phil Stamper.
- Head over to Angel’s Guilty Pleasures for a chance to win 3 Months on Audible
- Head over to Cornerfolds for a chance to win a Mystery ARC Stack
- Head over to The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club for a chance to win THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF OKAY, and a signed copy of SHADOW & FLAME and ONYX & IVORY
- Head over to Literary Meanderings for a chance to win TEETH IN THE MIST
- Head over to Stuck in Books for a chance to win Books 1-3 in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series
- Julie Kagawa is giving away THREE signed copies of Soul of the Sword
- Head over to Book Briefs for a chance to win an ARC of The Kingdom
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win If It Makes You Happy
- Lots of blogs participating in the June Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win Three books from her ARC/Books for Trade shelves
- Head over to Alyssa Carlier’s website for a chance to win Spin The Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Historical Fiction About Strong Women!
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Happy Anniversary. And how awesome your daughter got to visit Costa Rica:) I bet she has some wonderful stories to tell you when she comes home.
I know, I can’t wait to hear all the details!!
Happy Anniversary! That’s a long time and it’s nice to see.
Yes, I’ve been very lucky in the husband department. 🙂
Sounds like your daughter is having a fantastic time. Good for her. And happy anniversary! Like you, my husband and I were together for 7+ years before we got married. So we’ve been married for 20 years but together for almost 28. How exciting that you have a trip to look forward to!
We’re marriage twins!! 🙂
Congrats on 20 yrs!! My hubs and I celebrated 21 yrs a couple days ago.
Congrats to you too!!
Congrats on your anniversary! That’s amazing! And fun trip!! Hope you have a blast!! I still need to plan myself a vacation for this year, but I’ve yet to find anything!
Hope you enjoy the new read!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
I’m excited!! It’s been a VERY long time since we’ve taken a trip, just the two of us.
Oh Costa Rica would be an amazing experience!! And happy anniversary!! 20 years is a great achievement!
Lots of great traveling. Sounds fun. Happy Anniversary!
Here is my Sunday Post
Happy anniversary! And Costa Rica- I bet that’s an amazing experience for your daughter! How cool. 🙂
Have a super week.
She’s had a fabulous time!! She comes home tonight, and I can’t wait to hear all the details!
Wow! You’re life is like a romance novel. Congratulations on 20 years of marriage! Amazing!
Yes, it really is. I think we would’ve made a great YA novel in some ways. 🙂
Congratulations on celebrating 20 years of marriage!
20 years?? Amazing! I hope Cancun is a blast! You should have joined your daughter in Costa Rica and had two vacations. 😉
Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? ?
Oh, I would have loved to, but alas, no parents allowed. 🙂 Her trip sounds like it’s been amazing!!!
Happy Anniversary ? My husband and I have been together since I was in high school, (he’s almost 4 years older than me)which makes it 29 years this year, we’ve been married for 24 yrs in November.
Have a great reading week
A fellow high school romance success story!! 🙂
Happy anniversary! I’ve been to Cancun twice and loved it both times. I’m glad your daughter is having fun on her trip. Hopefully you’re having a good week!
I’ve never been there. Can’t wait!
Happy Anniversary! Your upcoming trip sounds fantastic. I’d love to do an all-inclusive vacation someday. I’m glad your daughter is having a great trip!
This will be our first all-inclusive. I read tons of reviews for this place, and everyone seems to love it!
happy anniversary…and that trip to cancun. for several years mr wonderful and i would hop on a flight out of new orleans for thanksgiving. we loved it. hope you do too.
That sounds wonderful! We haven’t gone on a trip without the family in a long time. It will be nice to have some alone-time!
I’m glad to hear your daughter is having fun in Costa Rica!
Congrats on your 20th anniversary. I hope you enjoy your trip to Cancun in November!
Cookie Cutters & Sled Runners looks like a cute read. I hope you enjoy that as well 🙂
She’s having a fantastic time!! She’s coming home tonight, and I can’t wait to hear all the details.
I’m so happy to hear your daughter is having such a great time in Costa Rica.
Congrats on your 20th anniversary. Wishing you and your husband many more blessed years together. 🙂
Thanks so much!!
Happy Anniversary!! You guys must work hard at your relationship! I hope you and your husband’s bond remains as strong. ❤️ And it sounds like your daughter is having the best time!! So neat.
Yes, you don’t get through 20 years of marriage without a little work! 🙂
Costa Rica sounds like a blast! Glad you’re getting so many updates and she seems to be enjoying it. Happy anniversary as well!
She comes home tonight, and I can’t wait to hear all the details!!
I’m glad to hear your daughter is having such a great time on her trip. It sounds wonderful!
Happy anniversary to you and your hubby!
She had a fantastic time!
Happy anniversary! And how exciting for your daughter! I’ve heard Costa Rica is beautiful. 🙂
27 Years together and 20 married! Here’s to many more 🙂 Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed celebrating!
Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, Nicole!! <3
You’re very welcome!!