These past two weeks on FYFA (and in my life):
I’m back from my hiatus! I spent the last two weeks in LA—first on a family vacation and then at an SCBWI conference. And, surprisingly, I did almost no blogging while I was gone. Okay, I’ll confess that I did write one review that I had scheduled and finished a Sunday Post, but both of those things happened at the very beginning of the vacation while my husband and two younger kids were still stuck traveling (their flight got canceled). Other than that, I didn’t blog, didn’t respond to comments, didn’t even blog hop. There’s a teensy piece of me that feels guilty, but I think a larger part of me is proud of myself for actually letting things go—I’m not very good at that.
We’ve also still been working on the backyard project—we’ve moved on to the deck now. We have all the old boards off, and we redid the framing on the edges where we needed to change the structure slightly. We also had to fix a few things that just weren’t done all that well by whoever built the deck the first time. I’m writing this post after hours and hours of working on it, and I’m exhausted! (Though my husband just went back out, and I’m feeling a little guilty about that.)
Today, I’m going to see Come From Away with my mom and my mother-in-law, and I’m really excited!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Cape by Kate Hannigan: A High-Flying Historical Adventure!
- Watch Hollow by Gregory Funaro: Book Blast Giveaway!
- That’s a Wrap! (My Wrap-Up of the SCBWI 2019 LA Summer Conference)
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
Since I (gasp!) missed a Sunday Post, I’m listing birthdays and blogoversaries for this past week AND the coming week:
- August 11th – Star-Crossed Book Blog‘s Blogoversary
- August 13th – Caffeinated Book Reviewer‘s Blogoversary
- August 16th – Read All the Things‘ Blogoversary
- August 20th – Aimee @ Aimee, Always‘ Birthday
- August 20th – Melissa’s Eclectic Bookshelf‘s Blogoversary
- August 24th – Malka @ Paper Procrastinators‘ Birthday
Believe it or not, I actually haven’t accepted any review requests since two weeks ago when I said I HAD TO STOP!
But, I still ended up getting a few books in the mail that I’d already accepted (and one surprise). I’m stopping. I promise.
First off, I received Mightier Than the Sword and The Edge of the Word. These books are interactive, written in second person with things for you to do throughout, like puzzles and Mad Libs and illustrations. I AM IN LOVE and I haven’t even read them yet! This book is written by Drew Callander & Alana Harrison and illustrated by Ryan Andrews.
Then, I also got Smarter Than a Monster by Brandon Mull. I don’t review picture books often, but this one looks ADORABLE! (Plus, I don’t feel guilty about asking for physical copies of picture books now because I donate them to Bernie’s Book Bank when I’m done.) The book is illustrated by Mike Walton.
Lastly, I received a surprise from Blink (have I mentioned I love Blink?): Freaky in Fresno by Laurie Boyle Crompton!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Let’s help Crystal @ Lost in Storyland stock her classroom library!
- Tracy @ Cornerfolds is running an Indie Love Read-a-Thon
- Jessica @ Booked J created the hilarious V.C. Andrews Experience Tag
- Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog made a little announcement!
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order THE TROUBLE WITH SHOOTING STARS by Meg Cannistra OR request it from your local library to receive a zeppelin sticker and star enamel pin. (US only)(ends 8/19)
- ***Pre-order SOUL OF STARS by Ashley Poston OR purchase HEART OF IRON in paperback OR request them from your local library to receive a digital poster and digital wallpapers! (ends 8/23)
- Pre-order WILD SAVAGE STARS by Kristina Perez to receive an EXCLUSIVE Tristan POV chapter! (INT)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order BEST FRIENDS by Shannon Hale and illustrated by LeUyen Pham to receive a keychain set to share with YOUR best friend! (US only)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order THE SPINNER OF DREAMS by K.A. Reynolds OR request a library purchase to receive a bookmark and sticker featuring the cover art (for pre-orders, the bookmark will come signed). The first 100 US pre-orders will receive two postcards, a signed bookmark, sticker, and a black crow feather enamel pin. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL by Mara Rutherford OR request a library purchase to receive two 4”x6” prints of character art. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order THE BATTLE by Karuna Riazi OR request a library purchase to receive swag! (US only)(ends 8/26)
- ***Pre-order SERPENT & DOVE by Shelby Mahurin OR request it from your local library to receive four character cards (Louise le Blanc, Reid Diggory, Cosette Monvoisin, Ansel Diggory) AND the digital annotated first chapter! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 8/27)
- ***Pre-order BARSTOOL THEOLOGY: CRAFTING THE GOOD LIFE by Trevor Gundlach to receive a koozie! (ends 8/28)
- Pre-order DARKDAWN by Jay Kristoff to receive a deleted chapter called “Three”. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order SEEING AROUND CORNERS by Rita McGrath to receive an Opportunity Portfolio Toolkit. (US only)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE MANY COLORS OF HARPREET SINGH by Supriya Kelkar to receive a signed bookmark & bookplate. (US only)(ends 9/2)
- ***Pre-order AMERICAN ROYALS by Katharine McGee to receive a tote bag, reusable coffee sleeve, bookmark, and Washington family tree. (US only)(ends 9/2)
- ***Pre-order DEAR HAITI, LOVE ALAINE by Maika Moulite & Maritza Moulite to receive a set of 8 exclusive postcards featuring book quotes and images from Haitian photographer Samuel Dameus! (US/Can)(ends 9/2)
- ***Pre-order ECLIPSE THE SKIES by Maura Milan OR request it from your local library to receive a White Hearts limited edition enamel pin! (US only)(ends 9/2)
- ***Pre-order THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK by Adrienne Young to receive a snake letterpress print on textured paper. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (US only)(ends 9/2)
- ***Pre-order THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS by Katy Rose Pool to receive a deck of character scrying cards based on the book! (US/Can)(ends 9/2)
- Pre-order TIGER QUEEN by Annie Sullivan to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, a creature guide and a digital poster. (INT)(ends 9/9)
- Pre-order SEEKER by Kim Chance to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a 4×6 print of an exclusive custom piece of artwork created by Gabriella Bujdoso! (INT)(ends 9/9)
- Pre-order THE LIAR’S DAUGHTER by Megan Cooley Peterson OR request a library purchase to receive a bookmark and a signed bookplate. (ends 9/9)
- ***Pre-order CAPTURING THE DEVIL by Kerri Maniscalco to receive an alternative Capturing the Devil book jacket and a double-sided postcard with original color artwork. (INT – see link for limitations)(ends 9/9)
- ***Pre-order WHEN SHE REIGNS by Jodi Meadows to receive a signed bookplate, dragon stickers, a bookmark, and a dragon card! (INT)(ends 9/9)
- Pre-order A MATCH MADE IN MEHENDI by Nandini Bajpai to request it from your local library to receive exclusive swag! (US only)(ends 9/10)
- Pre-order THE LAST KIDS ON EARTH AND THE MIDNIGHT BLADE by Max Brallier to receive special slime and a signed bookplate! Plus, your child’s name will be included in the acknowledgements of the next Last Kids on Earth book! (US only)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order MOMENTOUS EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF A CACTUS by Dusti Bowling to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, & bonus story. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order THE SEVEN NECESSARY SINS FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS by Mona Eltahawy to receive a T-shirt, a 5×7 art print with a quote from the book, and a signed bookplate (first 50). Pre-orders submitted after that will receive the 5×7 art print and the signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order JUST LUCKY by Melanie Florence to receive buttons and stickers and stuff. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order THE LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND by Jennifer Mathieu to receive a butterfly charm necklace, butterfly stickers, a postcard, and a bookmark. (INT)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Illustrated Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive Goblet of Fire tote bag. (UK/ROI)(ends 10/7) OR (AU/NZ)(ends 9/18)
- Pre-order THE FUTURE OF ANOTHER TIMELINE by Annalee Newitz to receive an enamel pin! (US/CAN)(ends 9/23)
- Pre-order THE INFINITE NOISE by Lauren Shippen to receive a downloadable phone background, a Bright Sessions original e-short story titled BLUEPRINT (featuring Caleb and Adam), and an exclusive audio interview with author Lauren Shippen Briggon Snow (the voice of Caleb Michaels). (US/Can)(ends 9/23)
- Pre-order A TREASON OF THORNS by Laura E. Weymouth to receive 2 deleted scenes from The Light Between Worlds and previously unpublished short fiction. (INT)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order THE BEAST by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs to receive a poster and 30 bookmarks to share! (US/CAN only)(ends 9/29)
- Pre-order OUTLAWS by Jen Calonita to receive a Royal Academy Rebels character card and a signed bookplate. (US/Can only)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order THE GOOD LUCK GIRLS by Charlotte Nicole Davis to receive a limited-edition tote bag! (US/Can)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order THE FOUNTAINS OF SILENCE by Ruta Sepetys to receive an exclusive keychain! (US only)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order SCARS LIKE WINGS by Erin Stewart from The King’s English Bookshop to will receive a signed copy of SCARS LIKE WINGS, a poetry magnet, a temporary wing tattoo and a bookmark. Or order from any retailer OR request it from your local library to be entered in a drawing for a Prize Pack and a Kindle Paperwhite. (INT)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order CRIER’S WAR by Nina Varela to receive an exclusive coded letter with wax seal, an Automa drawing, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 9/30)
- ***Pre-order BID MY SOUL FAREWELL by Beth Revis to be entered to win one of over 40 prize packs (5 books each, all signed by the authors). (US only)(ends 9/30)
- ***Pre-order THE LIBRARY OF LOST THINGS by Laura Taylor Namey OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and a signed bookplate sticker. Pre-orders will also receive a silver and enamel collectible acorn pin inspired by the story! (INT)(ends 10/4)
- ***Pre-order ORPHEUS GIRL by Brynne Rebele-Henry from Fountain Bookstore to receive a signed book, bookmark, & “Love Is The Key” pendant necklace. (ends 10/6)
- Pre-order THE BEAUTIFUL by Renée Ahdieh to receive an exclusive La Cour Des Lion Enamel Pin! (US only)(ends 10/7)
- Pre-order THE BURNING SHADOW by Jennifer Armentrout to receive an original e-short story “Like the First Time.” Experience the moment Evie and Luc first meet in the club from Luc’s point-of-view. (US/Can)(ends 10/7)
- ***Pre-order ESCAPING EXODUS by Nicky Drayden OR request it from your local library to receive a postcard, a signed bookplate, a set of trading cards, and your choice of cover art magnet or sticker. (INT)(ends 10/7)
- ***Pre-order A DREAM SO DARK by L.L. McKinney for a chance to win a prize pack, including Harry Potter ornaments! (US only)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order THE WINTER QUARTERS by Anna Veriani to receive a postcard designed by a Japanese artist with a message from author Anna Veriani. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 10/14)
- ***Pre-order DO YOU MIND IF I CANCEL? by Gary Janetti to receive a signed and personalized bookplate (first 1000) and a chapter sampler (first 350). (US only)(ends 10/21)
- Pre-order CALL DOWN THE HAWK by Maggie Stiefvater from specified bookstores to receive a signed limited edition bookplate (I believe it features Maggie’s art?). (INT)(ends 11/4)
- ***Pre-order GRAVEMAIDENS by Kelly Coon OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and a deleted scene from Boatman’s POV. INT pre-0rders will also receive a moth laptop sticker, a signed bookplate, and Maiden’s Tonic mocktail card. US pre-orders will receive all of that, except an enamel pin instead of the mocktail card. (INT)(ends 11/5)
- ***Pre-order CROWN OF OBLIVION by Julie Eshbaugh to receive an enamel pin, a cutout bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a quote card. (INT)(ends 11/11)
- ***Pre-order WILD LIFE by Keena Roberts OR request it from your local library to receive a Baboon Camp sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a special backpack! (INT)(ends 11/11)
- Pre-order THE QUEEN OF NOTHING by Holly Black from select indie bookstores to receive a signed hardcover of the book and an enamel pin with bookmark. (US only)(ends 11/18)
- Pre-order THE KILL CLUB by Wendy Heard OR request a library purchase to receive a Blackbird Killer lapel pin, a Blackbird Killer playing card, a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and secret swag. (Form to submit can be found HERE.)(ends 12/16)
- Pre-order A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a designed art print of a quote from the first book. (USA–not PR, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 1/6)
- ***Pre-order SCAVENGE THE STARS by Tara Sim to receive a 9 X 12 art piece, 3 character cards, a bookmark, & a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- ***Pre-order THE OLD TRUCK by Jarrett Pumphrey & Jerome Pumphrey from BookPeople to receive a signed and personalized copy and an enamel pin! (ends 1/7)
- Pre-order THE GRAVITY OF US by Phil Stamper to receive a signed bookplate that’s been sent to space! (US/Can only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order CRESCENT CITY: HOUSE OF EARTH AND BLOOD by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive art print! (US, Can, UK, ROI, AUS, NZ, and India)(ends 3/2)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @jules_writes is giving away 2 signed copies paperbacks of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
- @kimventrella is giving away a signed copy of OLLIE OXLEY & THE GHOST.
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the July 2019 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway and the August Discussion Challenge and Giveaway. You can also enter to win Watch Hollow by Gregory Funaro!
- In honor of Lauren @ Shooting Stars Mag’s 12th blogoversary, she and Crystal @ Lost in Storyland did a dual review of Nevernight and Crystal is giving away a Book of Your Choice Up to $15 from TBD.
- Also in honor of Lauren, Karen @ For What It’s Worth is giving away One book up to $25 value and In the Know with RO is giving away a $10 Gift Card to Amazon!
- Head over to Confessions of a YA Reader to enter to win When The Light Gets In and Color Me In. She’s also celebrating her blogoversary by giving away a Box of ARCs!
- Head over to Cornerfolds for a chance to win the Grisha Trilogy.
- Enter to win 10 FIREreads Midnight Books
- Lots of blogs participating in the Back to School Giveaway Hop!
- You can win a signed ARC of The Bootlace Magician on the author’s site!
- Freda @ Freda’s Voice is celebrating her 10th anniversary with an Amazon ebook giveaway
- Head over to PragmaticMom for a chance to win The Miraculous by Jess Redman
- Every week Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature gives away three books from her giveaway/trade shelves.
- Lots of blogs participating in the August Of Books Giveaway Hop
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag because Lauren is celebrating her 12th blogoversary by giving away 12 books!
- Head over to XPresso Book Tours to enter to win a $150 Amazon gift card!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Where the Light Enters by Sara Donati
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
It’s nice to take a break from the blog once in a while and do other things. Sounds like you had a good time while you were away.
I did, thank you!
Sometimes you just need to take a break from blogging and enjoy doing other things. I understand how you must have felt because I’m not really good at letting things go either, but sometimes we need to resist our instincts and just let it go…
Enjoy your new books!
Yes, I think this is the first time I’ve gone on vacation and completely checked out of the blog—it’s hard for me to let go and trust that my blog and all my followers will still be there when I get back. 🙂
Well Nicole sometimes taking a (semi) break from the blog is what we need! And I also write reviews while away or I’d forget all about the books LOL
I only wrote that one review because it was scheduled to go up while I was on vacation. I still have to write reviews for the ones I read while I was gone. Yikes!
think it’s great you enjoyed your time away from the computer and i think we all need to do that now and then. sounds like you guys are doing great around the house.
Yes, sometimes a computer break is very necessary!
Two weeks away sounds lovely. As does visiting LA! I hope you had a lovely time.
LA was fabulous! I can definitely see why so many people want to live out there—the weather was perfect and they have no bugs!! (Working in the backyard on my deck has proven that is NOT true around here!)
I’m actually proud that you were able to stay away from blogging for the two weeks! I find even on vacation, I still scan was posts are going up from friends–I’ll note what reviews to read later. I’ll still check my blogging email (and all my emails for that matter) and if I’m in contest entering mode for something super cool, I will continue to doing any daily entries. Basically, I don’t read posts, comment on posts, or write posts…so it’s like a half break from blogging when I’m on a vacation! Lol! But I enjoy doing it and would feel stressed out post vacation if I didn’t do this at least!
Nice new reads! Those are new to me ones entirely. I hope you enjoy them!!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
I do still check email because if I didn’t I’d be buried under it for a month. But other than that, I tried to stay away from blogging to give myself a break!
Hope you enjoyed the time away, Nicole! I never pre-schedule posts when I’m on vacation – I’m just gone and the blog is quiet – but sometimes I still try to keep up with blog hopping and commenting. It’s hard to completely step away and just let it all go for a while. The interactive books sound like a lot of fun! 🙂
The only reason I pre-scheduled anything was because I had a tour I’d signed up for. Otherwise I wouldn’t have!
I think breaks like that are good for us sometimes. Blogging takes so much time that sometimes it’s good just to get away! And glad the deck project is going well! It always seems like there’s more involved than you expect with big projects. 🙂
This project is taking on a life of its own, but it will be worth it when we have a backyard we’re excited to spend time in!
I just googled Come From Away, and I am curious as to how it way. 9/11 things aways get me right in the feels. Hope you enjoyed it!
I really loved it (which I think you already saw—I’m late to getting to these comments!!)
Oh I totally get you on the whole not accepting review requests… I haven’t accepted any for a while now (staying away from Netgalley was hard!) and it’s nice! I am a big time mood reader, so it was one of the reasons why I stopped because I just couldn’t force myself to read that review book I just got. I mean, I wanted to read it, just not at that moment when it needed to be read, you know? Anyway, I believe in you! You can do it! Lol.
I HAD to stop requesting because I was getting way behind on my reviews. I’m planning to let myself at least break even before I request (or accept) any more.
I’m taking a break from review requests right now and dang does it feel freeing! I love to find new books and review them but sometimes a girl needs a resting period! (Plus, I went a bit overboard with my last binge request and accept which was NOT smart on my part. At. All.)
Anyways! Welcome back from hiatus! I hope you have a great week ahead.
I was doing really well with my review books and then I just sort of went crazy with accepting requests—I needed some more willpower because there are so many books that sound fantastic! Well, now I’m FORCED to say no or I won’t ever dig myself out of the hole!
Welcome back! I’ve been on an unofficial hiatus of sorts, haha. The kid started school, and the girls and I have been adjusting to days without him. It’s weird not having him home every day. I’ve been doing a lot of re-reading strictly for pleasure, too. It’s been therapeutic. 🙂
Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? ?
Awww… hope you guys adjust to the new normal—I remember those first days when my kids were little and went off to school. Now my oldest is almost in college!
Congrats on barely blogging during your vacation! I feel so guilty about being on a blogging semi-hiatus. I’m trying really hard to keep up with blog hopping and posting once a week, but pretty much everything blog-related has suffered. I’m scared to look at my page views!
Sometimes blogging has to take a backseat to life. I really do need to let go a little more and face the fact that I can’t keep up with everything. I find that I often put off writing for blogging, but I need to stop giving myself that form of procrastination (but it’s SO convenient!).
I’m glad you enjoyed your break!
Have a great reading week:)
OMG, interactive books? Those sound really awesome!
I hope you enjoyed Come From Away! I haven’t seen it yet, but many of my friends have and they said it was great.
Come From Away was really amazing!! I think what surprised me was how funny it was. I was expecting it to be touching and heartwarming (which it was), but I wasn’t expecting to laugh so hard!
Thank you so much for sharing my giveaways!
You’re very welcome!!
I’m glad you were able to get away. I’ve been AWOL on blog hopping with the moving and then Book Bonanza but now hopefully I am getting back in the groove. I have about 10 projects going on around the house. The folks at Lowe’s all know me in every dept. I’m going to slack off a bit except for working on a raised garden bed if it ever gets into the 80s instead of 90s.
Welcome back and have a lovely week!
Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post
I walked into Lowe’s yesterday and asked for a joist hanger and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. To be fair, I was still wearing my dangly earrings and my hair was styled nicely from seeing the play I went to earlier in the day. He asked me, “Do you mean, like a hook to hang something in the bathroom?” and I laughed and said, “No. A joist hanger. Like for a deck.” I’m sure people don’t go in asking for a single joist hanger often. He’ll remember me now! 🙂
I can totally feel your exhaustion! But I can’t wait to see how everything turns out!
It’s a big job, but it’s worth it!
It’s good to get away and not worry about your job or blogging. It can be hard sometimes, but I’m glad you were able to just have fun and not worry about the blog (too much). Thanks for sharing my various blogoversary giveaways. I really appreciate it. Those interactive books look like FUN!
Now I just have to get back into a good balance of blogging, writing, and life! (Hopefully it will be easier now that I’m done with the deck.)
I’ve also been more sporadic with the blogging this summer, but I’m hoping to get back on it this fall. Glad you are having a great summer!
Summer can definitely be hard for the blogging schedule!