This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
The back yard is looking really great!! It’s still in process, but here are a couple of pics so you can see how it’s going: The first shows the patio mostly finished (there’s upside down decking on that bottom stair, which is why it looks weird). The second two show the landscaping so far (the patio looks strange in these because they put a layer of sand over the patio for while they work—I guess it protects it?). I’ll try to have better pics next week, when hopefully it should be finished!
Actually, last night we were so excited about the new patio that we decided to put the fire pit out and have a family night around the fire. Only problem is, my husband was so eager to enjoy the patio before dinner that he was a bit hasty while trying to cut some fire starter sticks and he missed and cut his finger with the hatchet instead!
So, we spent most of the night at the ER. Eight stitches later, we still sat around a fire (just a starter log!) because he really wanted to enjoy that back yard—at least for a little while. 🙂
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Bite-Sized Reviews of Vow of Thieves; Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss; The Okay Witch; and Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea
- Top Ten Books on My TBR that Terrify Me
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- September 15th – The Fictional Reader‘s Blogoversary
- September 16th – Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts‘ Birthday
- September 17th – Annette’s Book Spot‘s Blogoversary
- September 18th – Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales‘ Birthday
- September 18th – Tanya @ Girl Plus Books‘ Birthday
I received two surprises in the mail this week. I actually already had Cursed by Thomas Wheeler in ARC form (so it doesn’t count against me for my overall review book numbers!), but it was very nice of Simon & Schuster to send me the final copy so I can see all Frank Miller’s illustrations in their glory (and feature the new cover on the blog)!
(Confession: I took off the Not For Resale sticker because it was stuck right on the front of the book and made it look ugly—I solemnly swear not to resell the book, but I still feel a little guilty because later I realized other people could resell it at some point in the future if I ever get rid of it or something.)
Then I also received Scars Like Wings by Erin Stewart from Delacorte Press. The cover art was created by Jennifer Heuer. I’ve been curious about this book since I’ve been mentioning the pre-order goodies every week in my pre-order section. This sounds like the type of contemporary I love—with a bit of heartbreak and an overall message of hope!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books gives us some great recommendations for YA books you should try if you love certain TV shows.
- Jane @ Janepedia talks about The wonders of the WordPress search engine
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order THE STONE RAINBOW by Liane Shaw OR request it from your local library for the chance to win a signed copy, a heart-shaped rainbow iron-on patch, a daily planner, and bookmarks. (ends 9/15)
- Pre-order THE LAST KIDS ON EARTH AND THE MIDNIGHT BLADE by Max Brallier to receive special slime and a signed bookplate! Plus, your child’s name will be included in the acknowledgements of the next Last Kids on Earth book! (US only)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order MOMENTOUS EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF A CACTUS by Dusti Bowling to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, & bonus story. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order THE SEVEN NECESSARY SINS FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS by Mona Eltahawy to receive a T-shirt, a 5×7 art print with a quote from the book, and a signed bookplate (first 50). Pre-orders submitted after that will receive the 5×7 art print and the signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order JUST LUCKY by Melanie Florence to receive buttons and stickers and stuff. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order THE LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND by Jennifer Mathieu to receive a butterfly charm necklace, butterfly stickers, a postcard, and a bookmark. (INT)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order DON’T SAY A WORD by Amber Lynn Natusch to receive a ten-page bonus scene in Dawson’s POV. (ends 9/16)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Illustrated Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive Goblet of Fire tote bag. (UK/ROI)(ends 10/7) OR (AU/NZ)(ends 9/18)
- ***Pre-order A GOLDEN GRAVE by Erin Lindsey to receive a signed bookplate and a bookmark, along with one of the business cards carried by agents of the Special Branch of the Pinkerton Detective Agency, as described in the books! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US & Can)(ends 9/23)
- Pre-order STORMRISE by Jillian Boehme to receive a signed bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a very cool pendant. (ends 9/23)
- Pre-order SLAY by Brittney Morris to receive a 6-card set of SLAY playing cards and a signed bookplate. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (US only)(ends 9/23)
- Pre-order THE FUTURE OF ANOTHER TIMELINE by Annalee Newitz to receive an enamel pin! (US/CAN)(ends 9/23)
- Pre-order THE INFINITE NOISE by Lauren Shippen to receive a downloadable phone background, a Bright Sessions original e-short story titled BLUEPRINT (featuring Caleb and Adam), and an exclusive audio interview with author Lauren Shippen Briggon Snow (the voice of Caleb Michaels). (US/Can)(ends 9/23)
- Pre-order DEAR SWEET PEA by Julie Murphy to receive a book-themed notebook, pencil, and bookmark! (US only)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order A TREASON OF THORNS by Laura E. Weymouth to receive 2 deleted scenes from The Light Between Worlds and previously unpublished short fiction. (INT)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order THE BEAST by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs to receive a poster and 30 bookmarks to share! (US/CAN only)(ends 9/29)
- Pre-order RESURRECTION GIRLS by Ava Morgyn to receive OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a smoky quartz crystal skull, and an art print of a book-themed Death tarot card! (US only) (ends 9/29)
- Pre-order OUTLAWS by Jen Calonita to receive a Royal Academy Rebels character card and a signed bookplate. (US/Can only)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order THE GOOD LUCK GIRLS by Charlotte Nicole Davis to receive a limited-edition tote bag! (US/Can)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order THE FOUNTAINS OF SILENCE by Ruta Sepetys to receive an exclusive keychain! (US only)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order SCARS LIKE WINGS by Erin Stewart from The King’s English Bookshop to will receive a signed copy of SCARS LIKE WINGS, a poetry magnet, a temporary wing tattoo and a bookmark. Or order from any retailer OR request it from your local library to be entered in a drawing for a Prize Pack and a Kindle Paperwhite. (INT)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order CRIER’S WAR by Nina Varela to receive an exclusive coded letter with wax seal, an Automa drawing, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order BID MY SOUL FAREWELL by Beth Revis to be entered to win one of over 40 prize packs (5 books each, all signed by the authors). (US only)(ends 9/30)
- ***Pre-order THE BOOTLACE MAGICIAN by Cassie Beasley to receive a colorful knot bracelet (or bookmark), a signed bookplate and a postcard, all in a shiny gold envelope. (US/CAN)(ends 9/30)
- Pre-order THE LIBRARY OF LOST THINGS by Laura Taylor Namey OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and a signed bookplate sticker. Pre-orders will also receive a silver and enamel collectible acorn pin inspired by the story! (INT)(ends 10/4)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF PHYSICS by Teresa M. Robeson for a chance to win an atom necklace + atom earrings set, Mechanics Lab Planes & Helicopters, Kids First Chemistry Kit, a collection of STEM/STEAM books chosen by the author, and a sturdy canvas tote and signed copy of the book. (INT)(ends 10/6)
- Pre-order ORPHEUS GIRL by Brynne Rebele-Henry from Fountain Bookstore to receive a signed book, bookmark, & “Love Is The Key” pendant necklace. (ends 10/6)
- Pre-order NINTH HOUSE by Leigh Bardugo to receive an exclusive, collectible print of the Lethe Hound. (US/UK)(ends 10/7)
- Pre-order THE BEAUTIFUL by Renée Ahdieh to receive an exclusive La Cour Des Lion Enamel Pin! (US only)(ends 10/7)
- Pre-order THE BURNING SHADOW by Jennifer Armentrout to receive an original e-short story “Like the First Time.” Experience the moment Evie and Luc first meet in the club from Luc’s point-of-view. (US/Can)(ends 10/7)
- Pre-order ESCAPING EXODUS by Nicky Drayden OR request it from your local library to receive a postcard, a signed bookplate, a set of trading cards, and your choice of cover art magnet or sticker. (INT)(ends 10/7)
- Pre-order A DREAM SO DARK by L.L. McKinney for a chance to win a prize pack, including Harry Potter ornaments! (US only)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order THE WINTER QUARTERS by Anna Veriani to receive a postcard designed by a Japanese artist with a message from author Anna Veriani. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 10/14)
- Pre-order BELOW THE MOON by Alexis Marie Chute to receive goodies like The 8th Island Trilogy Journal, book-lover book box, jewelry, greeting cards, digital poster, and more! (You’re guaranteed a prize, but you won’t know which one until you get it.) (ends 10/14)
- Pre-order TARNISHED ARE THE STARS by Rosiee Thor OR request it from your local library to receive high-res digital character cards and a deleted scene (INT). US pre-orders will also receive a bookmark and a full set of double-sided printed character cards. (Librarians and booksellers don’t have to pre-order to get these gifts.) (INT)(ends 10/14)
- Pre-order DO YOU MIND IF I CANCEL? by Gary Janetti to receive a signed and personalized bookplate (first 1000) and a chapter sampler (first 350). (US only)(ends 10/21)
- ***Pre-order I HOPE YOU GET THIS MESSAGE by Farah Naz Rishi to receive exclusive character cards, a postcard with a secret message from the author, an invisible ink pen, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/21)
- ***Pre-order UNICORN MAGIC by Tess Whitehurst to be entered to win super fun stuff from Goddess Provisions and Llewellyn Books. (ends 9/22 & 10/30)
- ***Pre-order A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES by Miranda Asebedo OR request if from your local library to receive a signed character art card! (INT)(ends 11/4)
- Pre-order CALL DOWN THE HAWK by Maggie Stiefvater from specified bookstores to receive a signed limited edition bookplate (I believe it features Maggie’s art?). (INT)(ends 11/4)
- Pre-order THE GUINEVERE DECEPTION by Kiersten White from Mysterious Galaxy bookstore to receive a limited print. (ends 11/4)
- Pre-order GRAVEMAIDENS by Kelly Coon OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and a deleted scene from Boatman’s POV. INT pre-0rders will also receive a moth laptop sticker, a signed bookplate, and Maiden’s Tonic mocktail card. US pre-orders will receive all of that, except an enamel pin instead of the mocktail card. (INT)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order CROWN OF OBLIVION by Julie Eshbaugh to receive an enamel pin, a cutout bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a quote card. (INT)(ends 11/11)
- Pre-order WILD LIFE by Keena Roberts OR request it from your local library to receive a Baboon Camp sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a special backpack! (INT)(ends 11/11)
- Pre-order ACROSS A BROKEN SHORE by Amy Trueblood or request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and a character sticker (INT). The first 50 US pre-orders will also receive a Golden Gate Bridge enamel pin! (INT)(ends 11/11)
- Pre-order THE QUEEN OF NOTHING by Holly Black from select indie bookstores to receive a signed hardcover of the book and an enamel pin with bookmark. (US or UK)(ends 11/18)
- Pre-order RETURN OF THE DRAGON QUEEN by Farah Oomerbhoy to receive a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 11/25)
- Pre-order SCARED LITTLE RABBITS by A.V. Geiger to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, and graphic sticker. (INT)(ends 12/2)
- Pre-order THE KILL CLUB by Wendy Heard OR request a library purchase to receive a Blackbird Killer lapel pin, a Blackbird Killer playing card, a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and secret swag. (Form to submit can be found HERE.)(ends 12/16)
- Pre-order A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a designed art print of a quote from the first book. (USA–not PR, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order SCAVENGE THE STARS by Tara Sim to receive a 9 X 12 art piece, 3 character cards, a bookmark, & a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THAT NIGHT, WHEN THE LIGHT WENT OUT, HERE THERE ARE MONSTERS, I HAVE NO SECRETS, THE SIMILARS, THE LAST TO DIE, SCARED LITTLE RABBITS or THE LAST WITNESS to receive one of four custom magnets and be entered to win a 6-month subscription to Hunt-a-Killer and a $100 gift card! (US only)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE OLD TRUCK by Jarrett Pumphrey & Jerome Pumphrey from BookPeople to receive a signed and personalized copy and an enamel pin! (ends 1/7)
- Pre-order DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS by Shannon and Dean Hale, art by Victoria Ying to receive an adorable 2″ Acrylic charm! (ends 1/14)
- Pre-order DON’T READ THE COMMENTS by Eric Smith OR request it from your local library to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate with pixel art, and a laptop decal! There’s also an option for teachers and book clubs to receive a Skype visit or have the author come to your classroom (read the details on his site). (INT)(ends 1/27)
- Pre-order THE GRAVITY OF US by Phil Stamper to receive a signed bookplate that’s been sent to space! (US/Can only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order THE GOBLETS IMMORTAL by Beth Overmyer to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a mini replica of the silver sword that makes an appearance throughout the book. (ends 2/12)
- Pre-order CRESCENT CITY: HOUSE OF EARTH AND BLOOD by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive art print! (US, Can, UK, ROI, AUS, NZ, and India)(ends 3/2)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @AvhleeWrites is giving away a signed set of Sara Raasch’s These Rebel Waves duology!
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the August 2019 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway and the September Discussion Challenge and Giveaway.
- Head over to Lost in Storyland for a chance to win Sea Witch Rising or Stormrise.
- Head over to A Dream Within a Dream for a chance to win a signed copy of SEEKER
- Head over to Library of a Book Witch for a chance to win a Kingdom of Souls VIP swag bag (including the book)
- Head over to Kait Plus Books for a chance to win WHO PUT THIS SONG ON? or signed copies of Laura E. Weymouth’s books: THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS and A TREASON OF THORNS
- The women over @ Star-Crossed Book Blog are celebrating their 5th blogoversary with a giveaway!
- Head over to Wishful Endings for Tressa’s Monthly Giveaway of a book of your choice!
- Mindy McGinnis is giving away The Lager Queen of Minnesota, Land of Wolves, The Last Good Guy and The Birthday Girl
- Lots of blogs participating in the September Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Utopia State of Mind for a chance to win SHE’S THE WORST by Lauren Spieller
- Head over to Bookhounds YA for a chance to win CHARLIE HERNANDEZ AND THE LEAGUE OF SHADOWS
- Every week Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature gives away three books from her giveaway/trade shelves.
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
That patio is coming out nicely! Oh my gosh, that must have been a major scare! I hope he’s feeling better! Thankfully, he got to enjoy the backyard fire 🙂
Luckily, he was very calm through the entire process, so even though it was a bad cut, we weren’t panicking or anything. We were actually joking about it a lot of the night. I feel horrible for him, though, and it certainly doesn’t look pretty!
Your back yard is looking great. Sorry to hear your husband cut his finger.
Thanks! We’re very happy with the progress!
Wow, your backyard is really coming along nicely! Glad to hear your hubby’s hatchet accident wasn’t too serious and that you could still enjoy the evening out there.
Thank you! Yes, his finger doesn’t look too pretty, but it could have been much worse!
Oh wow, your back yard looks great, the work is coming along nicely. It’ll look amazing once it’s all finished but I’m jealous and you’re only partway through. Sorry to hear about your husband, a night in ER is no fun
We’re really excited about it! This has been such a huge project, but it will all be worth it when we have a wonderful back yard to enjoy!
Though I admire his enthusiasm, I am sad to hear your husband was injured. Poor guy. The yard does look incredible though, and I bet it would have nice sitting out with the fire pit. I am about halfway through Scars Like Wings right now, and I am really liking it. I feel that because I am a mom, I relate hard to the aunt. I keep crying for Aunt Cora.
I often find that I relate to the adult figures in my YA books these days. I find myself thinking things like, “Oh, that poor mom. She just wants to do what’s best for her kid, and it’s so hard to know what that is sometimes.” LOL!
Your backyard is coming along nicely. Love it!
Thank you! We’re very happy with it!
The backyard is looking niiiice! And oh wow, I’m glad your husband was okay! A long time ago, I forget what he was doing, my grandpa was using some sort of power saw or something like that and ended up cutting the tip of his finger clean off! We took him to the hospital but he declined to have it sewn back on! Lol. He was so silly, I miss him… Can’t wait to see your finished backyard pics! I bet it will be gorgeous!
Nice new reads too! Seeing that Cursed around a lot! I hope you end up enjoying the new reads! Happy Reading this week!!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
My husband actually cut the tips of his fingers on a table saw when he was a teenager as well—he got the bone, so his two fingers are slightly shorter than the others, but they were able to get it all sewed back up and you can’t tell unless you’re looking closely. Glad that this injury was much less severe!
Ooooh your yard IS looking good! I am very excited to see the end result! And man, I’m a nurse, but reading that your husband cut his finger with a hatchet made even me cringe! Ooof! I hope he’s doing well!
Yeah, the nurse who gave him his stitches said it was a pretty bad cut, but luckily he didn’t hit bone. It bled a whole lot, though! (Even while she was stitching him up, which she said is unusual.)
Great pics! Sorry to hear about the injury though! Yikes. Glad you guys were still able to enjoy a little bit of fire later though! 🙂
Have an awesome week Nicole!
Yeah, that wasn’t the best way for us to spend the night, but it all turned out mostly okay. Hopefully it heals quickly!
Sorry, I snickered a little at how determined your hubby was to have that time around the fire even after nearly chopping a finger off! I’m glad it’s all okay though.
Have a great reading week
It’s a good thing I did a Fun With Spam post last week because I found your comment hanging out in my spam folder. I can’t figure out how that happens sometimes!
sorry to hear about hubby’s finger! 🙁
Your backyard is indeed looking great though! Love hoe the patio is looking Love family nights around the fire! But now with the outbreak in New England I’m paranoid with the mosquitos 🙁 finger with the hatchet instead!
I also have the ARC of Curse and I can’t wait to get to it 🙂 Your final copy is gorgeous! (and yes, I bet it looks better without the sticker! 🙂 )
I still feel a little guilty about the sticker. It’s like a weird act of rebellion or something. LOL!
It is SO wonderful to get things fixed up the way you want. Sorry about his stitches! Have a great week and enjoy your reads.
Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post
Thanks, Anne! It was a good thing I did a spam post last week because I found your comment hiding in the spam folder. Not sure why—sometimes the spam filter is so strange.
The patio’s looking great! I’m glad your husband’s injury wasn’t too bad, and hopefully it will heal without any troubles.
Thanks! He seems to be healing up quite nicely.
So sorry to hear about the accident before enjoying your gorgeous patio. It will be such a fun place to gather. Have a great week.
It made for a less than relaxing evening, that’s for sure!
Oops! Your poor husband! So glad he’s okay.
Thanks! We’ve had quite the time of it lately.
Ouch. Sorry about your husband’s finger. I’m surprised I’ve never cut myself with a hatchet while chopping wood. I’m super uncoordinated! The yard looks great, though.
I just don’t even try to do things like chop wood—it would be just asking for disaster.
Ooh I’m glad your husband is okay!! I’ve had stitches once, and it wasn’t terrible, but I think it would be harder to have them in your finger. The backyard is looking great though! And yay for enjoying a fire. 🙂
I had stitches in my finger once, but it was when I was two so I don’t remember it all that well. LOL!
Your backyard is looking great! And OUCH for your husband’s finger! Both of those look like some good books you got in the mail. Hope you enjoy them!
Yeah, the finger thing wasn’t fun, but hopefully he’ll have the stitches out tomorrow and all will be well.
Ahh the back yard is looking so great, can’t wait to see more pictures of it! I’m so sorry your husband’s eagerness got you to the ER, I hope he’s better now, aouch haha.
Scars Like Wings sound SO good, I can’t wait to hear what you think of it 🙂
Happy reading and thank you SO much for sharing my post!! <3
Thank you! We’re thrilled with the way the yard turned out!!
Ouch on the finger! At least he didn’t chop it off and you got to enjoy some time around the fire pit, lol.
The patio is coming along really nicely. I look forward to seeing it once finished. 🙂
Yes, it definitely could have been much worse!