My Goings On in June:
Um, June happened, right? Like, honestly, it just pretty much passed me by in ALL ways except puppy and TV watching. I didn’t read. I didn’t write. I barely blogged. And, the worst thing is, it wasn’t because I just decided to give myself some time off, I just couldn’t do those things. Every time I picked up a book I’d fall asleep (puppy exhaustion). I couldn’t find any time or inspiration for blogging. I’d pick up my manuscript just to review it and I’d get like two or three poems in and something would pull me away. I was feeling very worn-down and burnt-out. But July is a new month, right? I really hope it’s better.
Okay, but a few things did happen:
- We had our court date to officially change our oldest’s name. The court date was done via Zoom, which worked out nicely—also kind of interesting to see how other kinds of court cases were handled, since there were several in our “session.” The judge was super nice and spent most of our time asking Jade what she’s going to be doing for college. Anyway, I can now introduce you to Jade Alice Hewitt. (She chose Alice as her middle name based on an anime character. 🙂 ) We managed to get this in before her eighteenth birthday, which was yesterday (I know that’s technically July, but I’ll mention it here anyway). Having it changed before she’s eighteen will help because her earlier records will be sealed and she won’t have to constantly report a previous name on official paperwork. (As a side note, I got her a whole slew of Japanese light novels for her birthday, and she spent her “perfect” birthday evening reading—makes a mom’s heart happy! Good thing someone’s getting some reading done around here!)
- We had our first family party since the quarantine. Scott’s parents and his two sisters’ family all came over (15 of us in all), and we had a party in the backyard for all July birthdays (my twin nieces were born 10 hours after Jade and my nephew’s birthday is on the 11th). We were outdoors the entire time and wore masks. We also separated into family groups when we ate. It was definitely a different sort of party than we’re used to, but it was nice to see everyone again!
- We refurbished a cabinet. We got an awesome, solid (maybe cherry?) cabinet for $30 and fixed it up to put in our family room. It took a bit of work, but it turned out gorgeous! You can see a pic in my Sunday Post, if you’re interested.
- We made some more junk art. I wrote a post with pics.
- Digit! I’ve been sharing pics of our new pup in my Sunday Posts every week so you can see him grow up: 5/31, 6/7, 6/14, 6/21, 6/28. But here’s a little taste in case you don’t want to go look back at all those pics but you still want to see him. A couple of people have asked for “before and after” pics, so here’s one from the first day he came home and one from yesterday (in his favorite spot on the air vent—apparently warm weather is not his friend):
- What I’ve watched:
- My daughter Danielle and I watched all the current episodes of On My Block. We love this show!
- We’ve also watched all the current episodes of Atypical. My daughter, husband and I all really enjoy this show (even if we did get a little tired of all the cheating going on).
- Danielle and I watched all of season one of The 100 and just moved on to season two. I’m SO excited that she’s agreed to watch it with me! It’s really interesting to go back to the very beginning, knowing everything that’s happened on the show over the years; plus, it’s fun to share a favorite with her!
Features & Discussions:
June 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-up and Giveaway!
Black Lives Matter – A link to black-owned bookstores and a couple of other resources, along with some thoughts.
What Draws Me to a Book Cover? Let’s Discuss.
June Junk Art Creations
June 2020 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Giveaway!
My 2020 Reading Progress:
I read exactly 2 books in June. TWO!!!! One was an audiobook and the other was a MG verse novel that took me a couple of hours total to read. Since I’ve been blogging, I have never ever ever ever read so little in a month.
Good thing I was way ahead on my Goodreads goal (and I lowered it for the year with the intent of writing more). I’ve now read 61 books so far this year, putting me 11 books ahead of my goal.
June 2020 Reviews
See that big space right there? That represents the nothingness of the 0 reviews that I posted in June. I guess I can’t pick a Best of the Bunch this month either. My favorite of the nothing that I reviewed is … nothing. Honestly, guys, this is sort of surreal for me. It’s never happened. Even when I was on vacation for a full month a few years back, I posted a review or two. Who am I, and what has become of me?!
2020 Goals Progress:
Progress: 11/21-30 Discussions (Chatty Kathy)
I actually did post two discussions this month (if you count my BLM post, which I am because I can).
What Draws Me to a Book Cover?
Black Lives Matter
My Teenagers Are Reading Again and My Heart Has Never Been So Happy!!
I’ve Been Impersonated on Instagram!!
Google Searches Are Weird (AKA: You Found Me HOW?)
All Those Deleted Drafts
Book-Related Anxiety. It’s a Thing (and I Have It).
The Wonders of a Writing Accountability Partner
The Cybils Awards Finalists! Which Books Do You Hope Will Win?
My 2020 Goals & Challenges
2019 End of Year Book Survey (& Year in Graphs!)
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Feed Your Fiction Addiction & It Starts at Midnight
My Bookish Goals for 2020:
My Writing Goals
- I’m just not even updating this because, as I mentioned, I didn’t write in June.
My Reading/Reviewing Goals
- Hahahahaha! (Refer back to my 0 reviews written, and I think you will know where I’m at with the goals that normally appear here). Hopefully you all had a better reading month than I did.
Don’t forget to link your June wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up. And enter the giveaway!
Jade’s a lovely name! Super unique and pretty 🙂 Also, while you’re watching the 100 from the beginning with your daughter, are you also watching the new season? How are you enjoying it? I’m pretty bitter about most of it lol. I hope the series finale wraps everything up nicely, because so far I’m not sure if this season will top the earlier ones.
I haven’t seen any of the new season yet. I’ve mostly tried to avoid hearing anything about it, but I have heard that it’s getting some mixed reviews.
Oooh! Jade Alice Hewitt flows so well! <3 My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant, so we've been talking about names that work with "Metcalf." And oh my goodness, the puppy is SO adorable!!
Hope you think of the perfect name!
June was definitely a blur, but I feel like I’ve been saying that at the end of every month this year ? Happy 18th to Jade! With so many things being tossed about right now, it’s great she was able to make that official change smoothly.
This whole summer flew by for me in a weird haze. I’m glad that fall has snapped me out of my stupor a bit.
[…] Monthly Wrap-up (At Feed Your Fiction Addiction) […]
Digit is so cute! And dont be so hard on yourself, many people haven’t had the most productive month this June, including me!
Here’s to hoping July goes a lot better! I know I’ll be doing a much better job of keeping up with my stats!
I’m just now finally getting back into the swing of things … three months later.
Yeah – June. We all do what we can do.
We finally got out HVAC this morning which is after 32 days without. And since it’s in the mid-90s it is a great thing.
So glad you finally got the HVAC!
Well, what a wonderful gift the legal name change was. I never knew about the disclosures if she had changed her name after her 18th birthday. Three babies in less than 24 hours. You’re family was overwhelmingly blessed 18 years ago. Sounds like the party was lovely, and I am glad you were able to safely celebrate.
Yes, my MIL went from no grandkids to three within the span of 10 hours—and the kids were due three weeks apart (or four?), so it was even more of a surprise.
It’s important sometimes to do nothing, or nothing from your usual routine. Wishing you a good month of July!
Well, that pretty much defined my whole summer. My routine was shot!
It sounds like a different kind of month for you, but we always have to do what our body and spirit is telling us to do and yours was obviously saying – break time which is perfectly good. Your family party sounds great even if you had to take care precautions. Your dog is just gorgeous and happy birthday to Jade.
This whole summer has sort of felt like break time—I’m ready to get back into the swing of things now!
June really did pass in a blur. I started back working in the office on June 1 and it’s hard to believe that’s been a month. Big congrats to Jade on the official name change! Sounds like getting that taken care of before her birthday will make a big difference in the future. So glad you were able to visit with family safely!
Yes, I’m very glad that we managed to get the name change taken care of before she turned 18—it worked out perfectly.
Happy birthday and happy name change to Jade! I understand your reading and blogging struggles with June. I left parts of my wrap up mostly blank because I don’t know where my time is going. I haven’t been doing anything! I hope you have a great July!
Yeah, this wrap-up was certainly sparse!
Digit is a cutie!! Happy birthday Jade!!! Happy Independence day and happy July!!!!
I am so happy that your daughter’s name change is official, and that the time frame worked to her benefit! Also….Digit is the cutest. I’ll say it again – don’t beat yourself up on the reading and writing. Your mojo will return when the time is right. Enjoy the junk art, TV watching, and time with your family in the meantime!
Well, my mojo never did come back with writing—it’s been a bit of a forced effort at this point, but at least I’m getting a little bit done lately.
Such a cute puppy! I also read two books in June so we’re all struggling.
Congrats to Jade and your family! It sounds like the actual court session was smooth.
Happy you got to see some extended family! I’ve been attempting to see family because a lot of them haven’t met Aria, but a handful of them aren’t taking COVID seriously which makes me nervous.
Hope your family has had a chance to meet Aria by now (and that they’re all being safe).
Digit is adorable. I hope July is a better month for you.
Thanks—this whole summer was sort of a blur.
Happy birthday to Jade! And that’s so great about her name change!
And aww, Digit is so cute! I really, really want to get a puppy, but our current house has no garden and it’s rented, so we aren’t allowed pets. But hopefully one day! 🙂
I absolutely love our pup, but he’s definitely a lot of work and space to run is a must for him. Hope you can get one someday!
Congratulations and happy birthday to Jade! And yes, June pretty much disappeared, I have no idea where it went! Digit remains adorable and I’ve enjoyed the pictures you’ve been posting!
Apparently the whole summer disappeared for me!
Happy Birthday to Jade, and I’m so happy she was able to get her name changed legally before she’s 18! Sorry you didn’t have a great June in terms of blogging and reading. I actually read a lot, but granted, I didn’t do much of anything else. LOL Lots of shows and whatnot that I want to watch though so I will hopefully get some of those going this month.
Yeah, I’ve been great at watching TV, but that’s about it.
Aww, I’m sorry it felt like such an unaccomplished month! But I think it’s really important to take break when you need to, and sometimes your brain just makes the executive decision that you need a break! I really hope you aren’t too hard on yourself about not reading or writing!
And a very happy birthday to Jade! It sounds like it was the perfect 18th birthday and I’m so happy that you got to celebrate with family as well!
I watched the 3 seasons of Atypical that are out already earlier this year, and while I really enjoyed it, I have to agree that overall there’s just so much cheating and I hate it!
I hope you have a lovely July and that your adorable puppy lets you sleep more!
Yes, I’m glad to hear that someone else is disappointed with the amount of cheating in Atypical. I get that it happens in life, but on that show it’s everyone!
Okay I am legit tearing up at the wonderful news for Jade and you! I am so, SO glad that everything worked out well! And it’s a lovely name, I am so very happy for her! ALSO happy for Danielle because she is watching the best show ever ?
As for your lack of getting stuff done, try to cut yourself some slack, you’ve had a lot going on! Puppies are no joke (which is why I do not and will not have one hahah). Reading and reviewing will come back around. ♥♥
Yeah, I’m hoping I can get back to some semblance of a normal blogging/reading/writing/life schedule too. I don’t know, though. It’s feeling pretty hopeless.
Puppy exhaustion is real. I’m barely reading and just sneaking in commenting time right now.
Love how his colors are coming through. My youngest is going through a growth spurt and she’s got some weird colors variations happening lol
Karen @ For What It’s Worth
Yes, and as you can seem my replying has been even more affected than everything else. I’m finally catching up on these old comments!
I love watching puppies grow—they change so much in such a short span of time!
OMG that puppy is the CUTEST!!! I don’t know how you get ANYTHING done with that cuteness around you 🙂
Well, I basically don’t. LOL!
Congrats and Happy Birthday to Jade! 🙂
(Also – PUPPPPPYYYYYY!!!!!) 😉
I’m so glad the timing worked out for Jade. Puppies do take a ton of time, that’s one of the reasons we haven’t gotten one and would adopt an older dog only. But puppies are so much fun and so adorable! You may not have done any real bookish things in June, but you were creative and filled your writing well with experiences and emotions for July. I hope July was really great for you and your family and that everyone is safe and healthy.
I do love puppies, but they are certainly exhausting. He makes all sorts of things harder. But he’s worth it!