My Goings-On in October:
Here are the things that stand out to me this month:
- Sending my WIP off to critique partners. I finished my latest draft of my book at the beginning of October and sent it off to some critique partners. I’ve already received some incredibly helpful feedback, and my goal is to get the book to my agent by the end of the year (which is … coming sooner than I realize.)
- Senior year “lasts” and college applications for Danielle – This year has been bittersweet for my younger daughter, as it’s her senior year and she’s participating in a lot of activities for the last time. She’s also been applying to colleges, and I’ve been busy helping her with that!
- Worship team – I led my first worship song at our church this month—and then did it again. 🙂 I also led a couple of songs at our women’s gathering with only a cello for accompaniment, which was definitely an interesting experience since the cello part doesn’t really give you the same background music as you’re typically used to. I was definitely nerve-wracking, but it ended up turning out great.
- Family pictures – We got Danielle’s senior photos taken, along with family photos, which I was really excited about. I actually haven’t seen them all yet, but the photographer put a sampling of them up on their blog and I was incredibly happy with how they turned out. She captured our family so well. (If you want to see the featured pictures, you can check them out on Reminisce Photography’s blog. Once I get them digitally, I’ll share one or two of them on the blog as well.)
Features & Discussions:
My 2021 Reading Progress:
I read 10 books in October, putting me at 89 books so far this year. As of right now, I’m 6 books ahead of being on track for my Goodreads goal of 100. Not too bad since I spent the first week of the month doing nothing but writing (no reading, no blogging).
I’m still at 9 manuscripts read for the year. (Unless you count my own, which I’ve read LOTS of times at this point.)
October 2021 Reviews
- Frankie & Bug by Gayle Forman | Review
- The Woods Are Always Watching by Stephanie Perkins | Review
- Shatter the Sky by Rebecca Kim Wells | Review
- How to Find What You’re Not Looking For by Veera Hiranandani | Review
- Tristan Strong Keeps Punching by Kwame Mbalia | Review
- The Lost Language by Claudia Mills | Review
- Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan: Review & Giveaway | Review
October Best of the Bunch:
(Best of the Bunch is hosted over at Cocoon of Books. We link up our favorite reads of the month!)
Since I mostly reviewed middle grade this month, I’m only choosing one favorite, Tristan Strong Keeps Punching. I loved this finale to the series! (Frankie & Bug was a close second, though.)
2021 Goals Progress:
The Discussion Challenge is my one and only goal for 2021.
Progress: 8/21-30 Discussions (Chatty Kathy)
Well, I’m obviously failing my own challenge this year (quite miserably, I might add). At least I posted a tag this month.
The Personal Library Book Tag
It’s Time for the Cybils Awards: I’m a Round 1 Poetry Judge!
How to Create Book Page Art. (And a Peek at Mine!)
The Joys of Verse Novels, Graphic Novels and Other Very Quick Reads. Let’s Discuss!
Balancing Spending on the Blog, Making Money, and All the Moral Dilemmas that Go Along With It
I’ve Been Stalking Your Goodreads.
2020 End of Year Book Survey (& Year in Graphs!)
Unbiased Reviews: Is There Such a Thing?
Don’t forget to link your October wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up. And enter the giveaway!