Can’t think of anything to discuss?
Here’s a list of Discussion Post Ideas that Shannon and I have suggested over the past two years for the Discussion Challenge.
Feel free to use one of these directly or put your own spin on it!
- Tell us more about you! What’s your favorite hobby outside of book blogging? Do you like to read books that have to do with your hobby in some way? Recommend them!
- What’s your favorite book that takes place in a boarding school, and would you want to go there?
- What’s your take on books that feature teacher/student relationships?
- Tell us about a book that you learned a lot from. Could be intellectual knowledge or some other type of learning!
- What would the world’s most perfect library look like to you?
- How many hours a day/week/month do you spend reading? How about blogging? Are you happy with this amount?
- What’s been your favorite movie based on a book? Or is there one you hated?
- Tell me about your ideal bookish date. Would you re-enact a romantic scene in a book? Visit bookish sites? Have your significant other serenade you with your favorite swoonworthy quotes?
- Do your reading tastes change with the seasons?
- We all talk about tropes we hate, but what are some tropes that you quite like?
- International reads. Tell us about your favorite books that take place somewhere other than your native country. The more exotic, the better!
- Sacrificial characters. Characters in many of our favorite stories make sacrifices big and small; let’s talk about what they’re willing to give up and whether or not we think it’s all worth it.
- Favorite Book Couples
- What do you specifically look for in a shippable romance?
- What are the traits that your perfect, ideal book boyfriend or girlfriend would have?
- Which two characters from two different books would you love to see together (not necessarily as a couple) and why?
- What are your favorite types of posts to read? Love reviews? Deep discussions? Lighthearted observations? Funny quizzes? Top Ten Tuesdays? We want to know!
- Animals in books – We all love our fuzzy pals. What are some of your favorite animals from books you’ve read and why?
- Do you prefer happy endings – or more realistic ones?
- What draws you to a book cover?
- How do you feel about books becoming movies or TV shows?
- Take us on a bookshelf tour, and tell us all about your organization techniques!
- Do you have any particular reading rituals? Do you have a “spot”? Do you eat or drink while reading?
- How long have you been blogging and how has your blog changed since you started?
- What book heroine (or hero) are you most like and why?
- Bookish friends: What are some of your favorite bookish friendships?
- Which ten authors would you invite to your dream author brunch?
- Write a love letter to your favorite book genre!
- Can there ever be such a thing as too much reading? Ever overwhelm yourself with books?
- Tell us about your last book high – the last time you were completely giddy over a book!
- What’s your blogging style? Lighthearted? Analytical? Frivolous? Super-Serious? Disorganized? Eclectic? If you had to give your style a name, what would it be?
- Which do you prefer: Series or standalones, and why?
- OTPs: Can you have more than one and still call them OTPs?
- Tell us all about your favorite book boyfriend. What makes him stand out above the crowd?
- Have you ever considered writing a book (or HAVE you written a book?). Tell us about it!
- If you could meet any author in the world and team up with them for a day of fun, who would it be and what would you do?
- Do you have too many books to read? Is that even a real thing? Tell us about it! (And you know, feel free to offer suggestions ? )
- What are some special editions of books you’re just dying to get your hands on?
- Favorite posts: What are some of your favorite posts you’ve written and why?
- Bookish products: Show us some bookish items that you love!
- Fact or fiction: Do you read non-fiction or only fiction? Have a favorite book (fiction or non) that was inspired by true events?
- Let’s talk shelves: Namely, how do you organize yours?
- Buying Books: Do you have it under control?
- Your loves: Tell us what makes a favorite book so special!
- Why I Love (insert genre here) – Discuss what makes your favorite genre awesome.
- Where Do You Get Your Books? – Discuss how you get most of your books. Buy them? Receive them for review? Use the library?
- How My Reading Habits Have Changed Since I Started Blogging – This one’s pretty self-explanatory. Blogging changes things – tell us how!
- Assess some of your goals and accomplishments during the past year!
- Discuss what you want to see more of in the new year!
- Fun new things you found in the blogosphere/book community this year (or last year).
- March is said to “come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.” Tell us about some of your favorite characters who are “lions” (strong characters with big personalities) and some who are “lambs” (characters with milder or more loving personalities – or the peacekeepers).
- April 30th is Indie Book Store Day. Tell us about your favorite Indie Book Store!
- April Fool’s! What are some of the most ridiculous books you’ve ever read?
- April showers bring May flowers. Sometimes that proves true in our books as well. Can you think of some examples of books where terrible circumstances led to amazing outcomes or character growth?
- Headed to BEA? Tell us about it! Missing it? Tell us about your dream book event – it’s yours, so make it whatever you want!
- Do you think “beach reads” are a thing?
- Do you read more or less in the summer? Why?
- What are some of the best books you’ve read during the first half of the year?
- Independence Day is coming here in the US. Tell us about your favorite coming-of-age story.
- Does “back to school”- be it for yourself or your kids, or just fall in general- have an impact on your reading?
- Since, it’s almost “back to school” time, how did you feel about required reading in school?
- What do you look for in a spooky/horror/thriller book? (Someone please do this, I think I need tips…)
- Bookish Halloween costume possibilities!
- Who would you consider the scariest bookish characters of all time? And why?
- Here in the US, we celebrate Thanksgiving in November. Tell us something in the bookish world you’re thankful for!
- Now that the year is winding down, how do you feel you’re doing on your reading goals? Are you ready for December or are you thinking, “NO! I need more time to read!”
- If you celebrate Christmas or another holiday in December (or even if you don’t!), share some books that remind you of the holiday season!
- Thoughts on holiday/winter themed books