My Goings On in January:
The new year has officially come, and it feels like it’s started with a bang!
- We started up our homeschool co-op classes again, and my musical theater class is doing the play that I wrote. This has been a blessing and a challenge, and I’m really excited to see the finished product (in April)!
- I did a proofread of The Rathemaker Magician by KL Horvath, which is being published by Booktrope.
- I went to the Truthwitch and Passenger tour at Anderson’s Bookshop. Loved meeting these authors! One of these days, I’ll get around to writing a recap. Sigh.
- I got a new couch and loveseat! Woo hoo! The old ones were looking pretty shabby. These are electric reclining couches, so we can now be even lazier than ever!
- I’m up to season 4 of Once Upon a Time, which is my current work-out show (I watch it while doing the elliptical). Progress on the show has been slowed by the fact that I’m also enjoying watching my son play Splatoon on the WiiU while working out – a fact that he loves because he manages to get more game time in sometimes now. 🙂
- I’ve been working on the (volunteer) job from hell – hospitality for my daughter’s gymnastics meet. If this one goes badly, you’ll find me crying in a corner somewhere next week. Heck, if it goes well, you’ll probably still find me crying in a corner. (It’s stressful, no matter what.)
Most Popular Posts:
The January Discussion Challenge Link-Up and Giveaway – This is no surprise. We had 122 posts linked up in January! If you haven’t checked all of the awesome discussions out yet, please do!
What Blogging Has Done to My Bookshelves – Let’s Discuss
Other Features & Discussions:
2015 End of Year Book Survey – A recap of what went on here in 2015
My 2016 Reading/Blogging Challenges
Replying to Comments on Older Posts – Let’s Discuss
What Type of YA MC Would You Be? Let’s Discuss!
Culling the TBR – Let’s Discuss
January Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up – Still time to link up your January recap posts! Watch for the giveaway, which will be posted here next week!
The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye – Bookish Backdrop, Review Preview & Giveaway – Check out my design for a room based on this Russian fantasy, which will be released in May!
My 2016 Reading Progress:
A new year means a new, nearly empty chart! It’s been a good reading year so far – nothing less than 3.5 stars!
January 2016 Reviews
Here are the reviews I posted this month:
- The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch | Review | Rating: 4/5
- Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn| Review | Rating: 4/5
- Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Identity Crisis by Melissa Schorr | Review | Rating: 4/5
- The Heir and the Spare by Emily Albright | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Unhinge by Calia Read | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Unravel by Calia Read | Review | Rating: 4/5
- The Map to Everywhere by Carrie Ryan | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- City of Thirst by Carrie Ryan | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin | Review | Rating: 4/5
- World After by Susan Ee | Review | Rating: 4/5
- End of Days by Susan Ee | Review | Rating: 5/5
- Pull by Anne Riley | Review | Rating: 4/5
My Favorite January Read:
End of Days was just a plain fantabulous end to the Penryn series, but The Impostor Queen comes in a close second for me!
Don’t forget to link your January wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up! And watch for the giveaway, which will be posted here on February 8th!
Wow, you have been busy! Off to check out some of January’s discussion links 🙂
Sounds like a great but busy month!! 3 five star ratings is pretty awesome too. Hope you have a great February!!
You read some great books in January! I need to read The Impostor Queen and both World After and End of Days; I loved Angelfall! Happy February reading!
You’re always busy! I’m glad you kept up. It’s tough when there’s so many things going on in real life.
Have a great February, Nicole!
You had a fantastic month for books! Happy February!
I need to finish the Penryn series. like asap. I have read the first one and have the second. Thanks for the post.
Doing a play you wrote in your class, that is so cool! Hope it turns out to be a blast (though I’m sure it’s a lot of work – plays always are).
You always seem so busy! How do you manage to read so much? 🙂
Electric reclining couches?! I have never heard of them before, but they sound amazing! Enjoy! Eeks, I need to finish the Penryn Series! I’m so nervous about how it’s all going to end for Penryn and Raffe….I’m hoping for a hea, but yeah I’m just so scared.
I really hope hospitality goes well. Just keep thinking “it’s almost over.” It looks like your year is off to a good start reading wise though, so that’s awesome!
Looks like you had a great month, especially with the reading! Most of my books read in January were four stars, so I was pretty happy with that. I love the show Once Upon A Time. It’s so good! Good luck with your super stressful job with hospital hospitality!
You read some amazing books in January my friend! I still need to get my hands on The Imposter Queen AND read Angelfall already XD YAY for new furniture and bookish/author events!! You had a busy but awesome-sounding month to start of the new year! Here’s to a fabulous February ♥
Your author events sound so fun! I’m excited to move to the bay area after I finish grad school and one of the reasons is that there are far more author events there than in upstate NY 🙂
You had such a great month in books!!! I’m dying to read Bookishly Ever After… it keeps getting pushed back on my TBR because I’m slightly behind on ARCs right now. >.< I really enjoyed Firsts! And I've had my eye on The Imposture Queen too. 🙂
I'm sorry your volunteer job is so stressful. What torture!! I hope it gets better… or ends soon, either one. 🙂
Wow! You got 14 books reviewed and YOU homeschool your kids!!! That’s insane. You are a miracle worker. I need to up my game, obviously.
I love that End of Games was your favorite book. I bought that whole series and still haven’t started reading it.
I still need to read the Penryn series… one day I will get to it!
Looks like you have had a busy January. I am still playing catch up and trying to visit my favourite blogs. Sorry I’ve been so MIA!!