I’m heading off to Utah very early tomorrow morning for the Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers writing workshop! I’m not planning on updating the blog while I’m there (unless I’m feeling especially inspired) because I want to focus on the conference as much as I can.
Things about WIFYR I’m looking forward to:
- Meeting Trent Reedy. Have you read Words in the Dust? If you haven’t you need to. Absolutely fabulous! I know I’m going to learn a lot from Trent!
- A week spent with other writers. These are my people! I can’t wait to talk writing with them.
- My critiques. I’m excited to get feedback from a whole group of people, and I’m hoping some of us will keep up the relationships after the conference.
- The conference sessions. In the mornings, our group will be critiquing, but in the afternoons, there are lots of break-out groups to choose from. They all look so good—it will be hard to choose!
- Meeting editors and agents. You never know, right? Maybe I’ll meet the perfect person for my book.
- A whole week to myself. Okay, technically I’ll be surrounded by people, so it’s not like I’ll be by myself. But I’ll confess that I’m pretty excited to have a week away from home to focus 100% on writing. I will be doing no dishes, no laundry, no cleaning up after anyone. I won’t have to let any dogs out, or drive kids to any activities, or fill out mounds of paperwork so the kids can go to camp. Yeah, a lot of it will be waiting for me when I get home, but it will be nice to have a week off!
Since I’m not doing BEA or ALA this year, this is my chance to get bookish, and I can’t wait!