I’m one of those people who pretty much exclusively follows book blogs. I’m not particularly interested in following blogs that focus on something else like travel or fashion or general lifestyle stuff. BUT I’ve found that I actually really enjoy getting little snippets of those things on my friends’ book blogs.
I thought I’d highlight some of the types of non-bookish posts and topics I enjoy seeing on people’s blogs. Not because I’m expecting anyone to specifically create more of these because I like them, but just because I thought it might be fun to feature some of the other types of posts my bookish friends create.
- Crafts – I absolutely love seeing the crafts that my fellow bloggers have been working on. Whether you’re knitting cool scarves (or cowls–this post was actually inspired when I saw this knitting post at Bookwyrm’s Hoard), or creating pottery (Steph Pajonas makes cool pottery), or creating bookish crafts, I love to see your progress!
- Artwork – Some of my bookish friends are also talented artists. For instance, Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight makes a lot of digital art (often inspired by her SIMS).
- Bullet journals – I’m hopeless when it comes to organization and beautiful arty designs, but I can live vicariously through my friends who have gorgeously artistic (and organized!) bullet journals! Annie over at Blossoms and Bullet Journals has a blog that focuses on both books and beautiful bullet journaling.
- Vacations – I love reading about the trips my fellow bloggers take! (Pictures are a wonderful bonus.) Or even people’s explorations of their own cities/countries. Lauren @ Shooting Stars Mag often does a Local Tourist feature. And I’ve learned some interesting things about Dubai from Gayathri @ Elgee Writes.
- Movies & TV – I like hearing about my blogger friends’ favorite movies and TV shows. Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight writes lots of posts about The 100, and she also does a feature called Sometimes I Watch Shows.
- General Life Updates – I love reading everyone’s Sunday Posts and Monthly Wrap-Ups, and I especially enjoy reading what’s been happening in my fellow bloggers’ lives lately. Hearing personal stories helps me to get to know the people in the blogosphere in much deeper ways. Other random life-update posts or tags are wins too!
I’m sure there are other topics I enjoy reading about too, but these are the ones that pop into my mind. The funny thing is, even topics I’m not all that excited about normally are much more interesting when they’re shared by a blogger I already know and love. I might not seek out posts about fitness or healthy eating or music, for instance, but I might check them out if it’s someone I know talking about those topics. (And, of course, there are probably other people who specifically like to see those topics.)
The only place I really share any of these non-bookish topics on my own blog is in my Sunday Posts and Monthly Wrap-Ups. But this has made me think that maybe I should pepper in a few of these types of posts. For instance, I just recently used illustrated book pages (from a book my son destroyed) to make origami stars. Maybe I’ll write a post about it!
Do you like to see non-bookish posts on book blogs occasionally? What are your favorite types of topics? I want to know!