I have to start this post by saying that I’m not expecting anyone to do anything about this issue, and I don’t blame my fellow bloggers at all for my own state of checkbox confusion. I just need to vent for a minute!!!
Ever since the disaster that was the new (or, no-longer-all-that-new) GDPR regulations, commenting on blogs has become a game of navigating a minefield of checkboxes. I mean, I get why they created these regulations, but for the average blogger, it’s just made our commenting lives a mess. I’ll admit it: I’m easily confused.
Now every time I go to a blog to comment, I have to spend five minutes figuring out which of the fifty checkboxes I want to check, and I’m not too proud to admit that half the time I want to pull my hair out in frustration by the end! It doesn’t help that every blog is different (due to the fact that we all have different commenting systems). And, yes, sometimes I still end up clicking on the wrong things—or missing something.
And then some blogs have some random combination of these checkboxes:
- Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment
- Sign me up for the newsletter
- Please enter a URL and then click the CommentLuv checkbox if you want to add your last blog post
- Notify me of follow-up comments by email
- Notify me of new posts by email
- Notify me of new comments via email
- Get Reply To Your Comment
- Or just: Notify Me
- OR you have to click a little bell to get replies
- OR Notify me; otherwise I’ll have to sacrifice my first child at sundown during the next full moon
(Okay, I haven’t actually seen that last one, but I’m waiting.)
Okay, so some of these are really obvious. BUT I’ve noticed that sometimes the same worded checkbox means different things on different blogs.
And sometimes I end up just sitting and staring and thinking:
- Wait, are “follow-up comments” replies on this blog? Or are those the same as “new” comments?
- Wait, does “Notify Me” mean I’ll get a notification about the reply or posts or other comments?
- Wait, haven’t I checked this box for saving my data like a million times before? Why didn’t it save my data last time?
- Wait, will I get a reply to this comment even without checking any of the checkboxes, none of which seem to be for replies?
The worst is when, after checking the checkboxes, you still get an email that makes you confirm that you want to do what you said you wanted to do. I’ve had to navigate the boxes and figure out the right ones, and now I have to confirm that I chose correctly! It’s so stressful!! Confession: I pretty much never confirm. Not because I don’t want to see if you replied, but because I start to worry that I clicked the wrong thing. Because, yes, sometimes I still do it wrong.
Every once in a while, I’ll start to get an email every time someone comments on your random TTT post with a “Great list!” and I’ll groan in frustration at my inability to click the right checkbox. Or I’ll realize that I’ve accidentally signed up to receive every one of your posts via email. No offense, I love you all, but my inbox is already so overwhelming that I literally sometimes start to feel a physical panic response when I look at it. I can’t subscribe to all of your blogs via email. The danger to my mental health is real!!
Like I said, I’m not blaming my fellow bloggers or expecting you to change anything on your blogs. This is just my venting post! This craziness isn’t anyone’s fault—we’re all just trying to live up to a random set of rules that are hazy at best, and no one wants to get fined or in trouble for violations. Some of you may not even be able to control what shows up with your commenting system.
There is NO ESCAPING THE DREADED CHECKBOX!
Is anyone else as confused as I am about all the checkboxes? Please tell me I’m not the only one who still can’t always figure them out. I want to know!
This post is linked up to the Book Blog Discussion Challenge.