The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news ~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
There are two reasons I’m late with the post this week: First off, we had a very busy weekend, including heading up to Wisconsin yesterday for my nephew’s Eagle Scout ceremony and a family party. Secondly, I had my second dose of the COVID vaccine on Saturday, so even though I had almost the full post ready, I didn’t feel up to finishing it last night. I actually woke up feeling even yuckier today, but the ibuprofen has kicked in, and I thought I’d take advantage and finish the post up now.
- Danielle’s Birthday! My daughter Danielle turned seventeen on Friday and we celebrated with a Good Mythical Morning-style taste test (if you don’t know GMM, it’s a YouTube show we watch often). She LOVES lemon, so I drove around to all the local bakeries and bought everything lemony that they had. Then I created little placards with the names of the bakeries and the products and we rated everything on a 100-point scale to decide on our favorite. It was so much fun!
- Writing Update. Still working on my editing with a goal of getting it to CPs on June 1st. I’m going to have to make up for lost time this week since I spent Friday driving around looking for baked goods for Danielle and celebrating her birthday. Hopefully I’ll feel well enough to get some done today, but I’m not sure.
- What I Read:
- I finished listening to The Queens of Fennbirn and started listening to Two Dark Reigns.
- I finished reading LEO, Inventor Extraordinaire by Luke Cunningham, then read Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson (and reviewed both of them). Then I started reading Sunkissed by Kasie West.
- TV We Watched:
- The Voice. We started watching Season 20 of this show on Hulu (I think it’s the latest season?). I watched this show years ago, but when they expanded it so it was on for two hours three days a week, it just got too overwhelming. It’s not so bad when I can just randomly watch it whenever I want, though. Of course, I’m not that far in, so we shall see.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Review of LEO, Inventor Extraordinaire by Luke Cunningham
- Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson: Review & Giveaway
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- 5/18 – Austine @ Novel Knight‘s Birthday
- 5/18 – We Live and Breathe Books‘ Blogoversary
- 5/20 – A Dance with Books‘ Blogoversary
Thank you, publishers, for these awesome books!
I’ll be reviewing Made in Korea in just a few days, so keep an eye out! I also received The Seventh Raven for review. I loved Elliott’s last book, so I’m looking forward to reading this one!
I also received the first three books in The Startup Squad Series. Considering my love for Shark Tank, this seems like a series for me!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere and the Internet:
- Lory @ Entering the Enchanted Castle asks How are you doing with the block editor?
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight talks about “Casual” Drug Use in Books
NEW Pre-order Campaigns
Head over to my new Pre-Order Campaigns Page to see ALL of the pre-order deals, including pictures!!
Here’s the list of all the pre-order campaigns that I just added to the list this week:
Pre-order THE OTHER BLACK GIRL by Zakiya Dalila Harris to receive a tote bag! (UK only)(Ends 5/31)
Pre-order THE COMFORT BOOK by Matt Haig from Big Green Bookshop to receive a signed copy! (Ends 5/31)
Pre-order FOOTNOTES by Caseen Gaines from a participating indie to receive a vinyl record w/music & comedy from Shuffle Along! (Ends 5/24)
Pre-order THE GIRL LEAST LIKELY by Katy Loutzenhiser to receive a signed bookplate, a Gretchen/Sabrina alter ego bookmark, and a sticker sheet (first 50 pre-orders). Plus you’ll be entered to win a giveaway! (US only)(Ends 6/28)
Pre-order PUMPKIN by Julie Murphy to receive an exclusive set of magnetic bookmarks!! (US only)(Ends 5/24)
Pre-order JOURNEY BEYOND THE BURROW by Rina Heisel from Red Balloon Bookshop to receive a sticker, a bookmark, and a signed copy! (Ends 7/12)
Pre-order DANNY CHUNG DOES NOT DO MATHS by Maisie Chan to enter to win Danny Chung’s chopsticks (unused!), a set of cute dim sum prints, and a packet of East Asian stickers! (UK and NI only)(Ends 6/9)
Pre-order SIMONE BREAKS ALL THE RULES by Debbie Rigaud to receive a signed bookmark & bookplate. (Ends 5/31)
Pre-order THE MARKS LEFT ON HER by Di Lebowitz to receive a signed bookplate and a chance to win an exclusive book box experience! (Ends 5/17)
Pre-order HAPPY ENDINGS by Thien-Kim Lam to receive two exclusive recipes in addition to the ones in the book! (US only)
Pre-order a US edition of EMPIRE OF THE VAMPIRE by Jay Kristoff to receive a signed copy. (Ends 9/13)
Pre-order ONE LAST STOP by Casey McQuiston from a bookstore where she’s appearing for a virtual event and win goodies like a signed bookplate & enamel pin in the shape of one of Jane’s cassette tapes! (Items vary by location.) (Ends 5/31)
Pre-order THE SECOND REBEL by Linden A. Lewis OR request it from your local library to receive an 8 1/2 x 6 portrait of Hiro val Akira and a signed 4 x 6 bookplate sticker! (Ends 5/18)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @payaldwrites is giving away Rea and the Blood of the Nectar, King of the Dragonflies, and swag!
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the May 2021 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the April Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway. You can also win Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson.
- Katie McGarry is giving away Signed copies of A Wicked and Beautiful Garden, Echoes Between Us, Only a Breath Apart, Say You’ll Remember Me, Pushing the Limits, Dare You To, Crash Into You, Take Me On, and the Thunder Road series!
- Enter to win Penguin’s AAPI Heritage Month Sweepstakes
- Head over to Book Briefs for a chance to win 3 YA Verse Novels by David Elliott: THE SEVENTH RAVEN, VOICES, and BULL (And click on the other blog stops in the tour because they’re all separate giveaways!)
- Head over to Waves of Fiction for a chance to win a Box of 16 Young Adult Books!
- Head over to KidLit411 for a chance to win EVERY BODY SHINES: SIXTEEN STORIES ABOUT LIVING FABULOUSLY FAT, Jet the Cat (is Not a Cat), BALLOONS FOR TIGER, and When I’m Not Looking.
- Head over to ShootingStarsMag for a chance to win a candle or Stephen King Scratch Off Poster
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win 3 books from Lisa’s ARC pile.
- Head over to The Children’s Book Review’s Giveaway Page for lots of giveaways!
- Head over to BookHounds YA for a chance to win THE MIDNIGHT LIE, THE LAST FALLEN STAR, and more! (Check their site’s sidebar.)
- Lots of blogs participating in the May 2021 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to The Book View for a chance to win 10 TRUTHS AND A DARE
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including A 1-year subscription to Owlcrate!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Happy birthday to Danielle! I also love, love lemon treats and this bakery tasting sounds fun and so delicious. I hope you are feeling better now, Nicole. I felt like I had the flu the day after my vaccination, but the next day was all high energy and feeling even better than normal.
I love the lemon tasting! We would have to do some work to find places with GF options but it would be fun. Yay for your vaccination. I hope you are over any reaction.
Anne – Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post
Happy birthday to Danielle! Her birthday celebration sounds awesome. We only have one bakery around here, so I wouldn’t have to go far for the baked goods. I hope you feel better and have a great week!
That is a most impressive birthday spread. I need to show this to my people to make sure I get that for my birthday.
What an awesome birthday idea! I love the lemon-themed taste testing. 🙂
I love lemon stuff too. What a great idea. That sounds fun. Sorry to hear that you aren’t feeling good.
Happy birthday to your daughter! And what a cool idea. that’s so awesome you went around to the bakeries like that- I’ll bet it was a blast!
I love that birthday idea! And I also love lemon (really, all citrus) so I’m a wee bit jealous. 😉 Sorry to hear the shot kicked your butt. At least your immune system is working!
Happy birthday to Danielle! I love that taste test idea. How fun.
I hope you are starting to feel better from your second vaccine dose.
Happy birthday to your daughter! A tour of local bakeries sounds like the PERFECT way to celebrate. My birthday is later this month, and I might just have to borrow this idea… 😉
Happy belated birthday to Danielle!
I love that birthday celebration! What fun! Sorry about you not feeling well. I was also out of commission for the last week of May, thanks to a really bad case of vertigo that landed me in the ER on the 18th. Hope you’re feeling better by now!