My Goings On in July:
- We started out the month by celebrating my son’s birthday (and his cousins’). All of the kids did indoor skydiving, which was a blast!
- But the most exciting thing that happened in July is that we had Carmen, a Spanish exchange student with us for three weeks. We did SO MANY fun things while she was here. Take a look at the pictures below to give you an idea of what July was like with her around! (If you want to see the sign about what I term the “toxic waterfalls” click here.)
- I continued the first class toward my copyediting certificate at UC San Diego.
- Carmen was a big fan of manga and anime, so she introduced us to a couple new anime series. We watched the entire Special A series while she was here and started watching Maid Sama. It was fun to share this pastime with her! We also listened to lots of Nightcore music and she learned that crazy dance parties are a regular occurrence in our household. (I’m sorry, America, I think we made American families look more than a little crazy!)
Most Popular Posts:
Other Features & Discussions:
My 2016 Reading Progress:
Still 30 books ahead on my Goodreads goal. It’s been a good reading year!
July 2016 Reviews
Since I was so incredibly busy in July, I didn’t get as much up on the blog, but here’s what I did manage to review:
- Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally | Review | Rating: 4/5
- The Siege by Mark Alpert | Review | Rating: 4/5
- Sunborn Rising: Beneath the Fall by Aaron Safronoff | Review | Rating: 4/5
- Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty| Review | Rating: 4/5
- Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- Reliquary by Sarah Fine | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- How to Keep Rolling After a Fall by Karole Cozzo | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things by Martina McAtee | Review | Rating: 4/5
- Dark Dreams and Dead Things by Martina McAtee | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- Supergirl at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee | Review | Rating: 4/5
July Best of the Bunch:
The Best of the Bunch meme is hosted over at Cocoon of Books and encourages us to pick our favorite book of the month! I use books I reviewed this month for this meme, rather than books I read.
Again, I had a hard time deciding between these two books because they’re so completely different:
Status: 24/49 Discussions posted
Well, this was NOT a good month for discussions. Since they’re the most time-consuming (and thought-consuming) posts to write, I couldn’t manage it during this busy month!
I Dream in YA!
The Perils of Growing a Bigger Blog
Is Celibacy Shaming a Thing?
Fun with Spam!
#BEA16 Day One Wrap-Up & Giveaway!!
#BEA16 Day Two Wrap-Up & Jennifer Niven Holding Up the Universe Giveaway!!
#BEA16 Day Three Wrap-Up and Giveaway
Do Stats and Reports Help You?
Do Author Bios Ever Make You Want to Read a Book?
BEA is Coming Soon! What You Need to Know. (BEA Tips)
A Completely Useless (but kind of fun) Bookish Infographic
The Series Dilemma
Sometimes You Just Need to Disappear for a Little While
How Much Do You Read?
The Fine Line Between “Inspired By” and “Copycat”
Can Book Blogging Lead to a Job
Some Books Just Aren’t All That Memorable
Books that Intimidate Us
2015 End of Year Book Survey
Replying to Comments on Older Posts
What Blogging Has Done to My Bookshelves
What Type of YA MC Would You Be?
Culling the TBR
Status: 3/5 Books Read
None this month.
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Shooting Stars Mag
Status: 13/12 Books Read
I passed up my goal!
Rebel of the Sands is a fantasy set in something along the lines of Persia (mixed with the Wild West)
How to Keep Rolling After a Fall features a character who is paralyzed from the neck down
Status: 10/21-30 Books Read
Um, I’m failing at this challenge. Nothing new this month.
Status: 5/12 Series Finished
None. Though, I think technically, according to the rules, I could count the Dead Things Series because I’ve read all of the books in the series so far.
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Love at First Page
Status: 6/9-10 New Series
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Lisa Loves Literature
Don’t forget to link your July wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up! And check out the giveaway, which will be posted right here on FYFA on the 8th!