Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
We had another fun week with Carmen, the Spanish exchange student who’s staying with us. It feels like we’ve been having a staycation, since we’re doing so many fun activities with her. So far, we’ve gone to the Bristol Renaissance Faire, a fun spy restaurant in Milwaukee (the entrance is hidden in a back alley and you have to either know the password or act goofy on camera to get in – and then the restaurant is filled with spy activities!), a nearby lake where we rented peddle boats, ice skating, to a painting place, mini golfing, hiking at Starved Rock, to the Sears Tower (technically the Willis Tower now, but no one here calls it that) and shopping in Chicago.
We have now officially confirmed that Illinois is the most boring state when it comes to nature – Starved Rock is the ONLY place to hike in the state, and it was pretty much a huge letdown. First of all, this is the sign that you see when you walk into the visitor’s center:
Doesn’t that sound incredibly appealing? I mean, who doesn’t want to go see waterfalls created from chemical-filled farm field run-off? Yes, the only waterfalls in Illinois are basically poisoned. Oh, and the view is … um … not the best. After all, someone decided that they should build a huge dam right next to the only pretty bluff in all of Illinois. I mean, the dam is kind of cool, but couldn’t they have built it a little bit further away, so it wasn’t in every picture taken from Starved Rock? The hiking can’t really be called hiking, either – most of it is paved in some way. Sigh. This is why I wish I lived in Colorado.
Anyway, here’s what you may have missed on the blog (only a couple of posts!):
Next week on FYFA:
- Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things and Dark Dreams and Dead Things by Martina McAtee – Review & Giveaway
- How to Keep Rolling After a Fall by Karole Cozzo – Review & Giveaway
- Supergirl at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee – Review
- Let’s Discuss – something bookish! 🙂
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Only one birthday this week. I hope you’ll visit Jackie and congratulate her on her special day! Also, check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
- July 25th – Jackie @ Books & Tea‘s Birthday
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some of my favorite discussions I’ve read this week:
- Anya over at Starships and Dragonwings asks What if DNF Was Your Default Option?
- Kristen over at Metaphors and Moonlight asks Should Books Have Content Ratings?
- Genesis over at Latte Night’s Reviews asks Where Are the Books on Bullies?
- Lory at Emerald City Book Review asks Do We Need Genres?
- Cait over at Paper Fury tells us How To Fabulously Get Started On Bookstagram
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally – Review & Giveaway
- The Siege by Mark Alpert – Review & Giveaway
- July Discussion Challenge Link-Up and Giveaway! – Link up your July discussions and enter to win!
- June Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway – Check out some June wrap-up posts and enter to win!
- Pre-order THE TELLING by Alexandra Sirowy and get exclusive swag!
- Pre-order AS I DESCENDED by Robin Talley to receive bookmarks and stickers featuring the book’s beautiful cover, plus a signed bookplate!
- Pre-order FOREVER DOON by Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon and get some awesome exclusives!
- Pre-order STEALING SNOW by Danielle Paige to receive a compact mirror!
- Pre-order Sarah J. Maas’s EMPIRE OF STORMS to receive a ToG notebook and/or preorder THE THRONE OF GLASS COLORING BOOK and get a ToG coloring pencils set!!
- Pre-order YOU WILL KNOW ME by Megan Abbott and Little, Brown Books will send you a free copy of one of her paperbacks!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
There are tons of giveaways going on around the blogosphere!
- Check out these YA Fantasy Freebies and enter for a chance to win a $60 Amazon gift card!
- Enter to win an ARC of BLUE TIDE by Jenna-Lynne Duncan.
- Head over to Read Write Love 28 for a chance to win a Preorder of Signs of You by Emily France! (INT okay as long as BD sends)
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for a chance to win a complete set of signed first edition Air Awakens Hardcovers OR a Paperback of ANY Air Awakens Book; 2 e-book copies and Bookmarks
- Tonyalee over at Lilybloombooks has created a Middle Grade Madness link-up. Link-up your reviews of middle grade books (or comment on linked reviews) and enter to win one! You can link up July reviews on this post.
- Novel Ink is celebrating it’s 4 year blogoversary with a giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!