Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
So, last Sunday my whole family ran a 5k, and I’m thrilled to say that I actually managed to run the whole thing. This is a big accomplishment for me, since when I was young I couldn’t even run a full mile (I did have asthma, which made things much tougher for me, but still). Now, I won’t say that I ran fast—there are probably people who could pass me up walking—but my main goal was to just keep going, and I did it!
Then on Monday (which was a holiday here in the US), we got season passes for an amusement park near us. They always have a great deal at the end of the year where you can get passes that work for the rest of the current season and next season. It works out perfectly for us because we like to get passes every other year (so we don’t get bored).
I taught my first co-op classes of the year this past week as well, so the schoolyear is now officially underway for me!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog:
- Blogging 101: What Do You Wish You’d Known When You Started Blogging? – Thanks to all of you who gave me great advice on what I should include in my class. If you haven’t had a chance to add in your two cents on this yet, feel free to share still!
- Keep Her by Leora Krygier – Review for the Fall Favorite Things Blog Tour
- September is for Sequels Sign-Up
- August Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway! – Still time to enter to win! You don’t need to have linked up a wrap-up post to participate in the giveaway.
- Assassins: Discord by Erica Cameron – Review, Author Playlist & Giveaway
- Bite-Sized Audiobook Reviews: On the Jellicoe Road, Forgotten, Spin, Zac and Mia
Next week on FYFA:
- The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron – An unforgettable All-Time Favorite!
- The Copper Gauntlet and The Bronze Key by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare – Reviews
- Towers Falling by Jewell Parker Rhodes – Review
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
There are SO MANY birthdays and blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll hop over to these blogs and wish them all a very special day! Also, check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
- September 12th – Jordin @ A Bottomless Book Bag‘s Birthday
- September 12th – Remembered Deservedly‘s Blogoversary
- September 13th – Lunar Rainbows Reviews‘ Blogoversary
- September 14th – Jaclyn @ JC’s Book Haven‘s Birthday
- September 15th – Bookworm Mom‘s Blogoversary
- September 15th – The Fictional Reader‘s Blogoversary
- September 15th – Trisha @ Yellow, Green, and Read All Over‘s Birthday
- September 16th – Fantasy of the Silver Dragon‘s Blogoversary
- September 17th – Alicia @ Awesome Book Assessment‘s Birthday
- September 17th – Annette’s Book Spot‘s Blogoversary
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some of my favorite posts I read this week:
- Lisa Loves Literature is hosting the September is for Sequels Challenge. There’s a giveaway involved and right now I’ the only person signed up. You KNOW you don’t want me to win the giveaway that easily! Join us!
- Sue @ Crushing Cinders asks Are Adult books threatened by YA?
- Cait @ Paper Fury gives 10 Requirements of Being a Book Blogger
- Andrea over at The Overstuffed Bookcase talks about Bullet Journaling for Book Bloggers
- Mary over at Mary Had a Little Book Blog talks about diversity and her reading habits
- I wrote a post about my frustration with the Me Before You movie and how it handled Will’s decisions (I won’t say more than that to avoid spoilers – read the post if you want to see more). Well, then this week I ran across this moving post that made me even less happy with the movie (and the book somewhat, but especially the movie).
- Jeann @ Happy Indulgence talks about When “Diversity” Isn’t Actually Diverse
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
There are a TON of these right now!!!
- Pre-order GLITTER by Aprilynn Pike and get a fun Glitter swag bag!
- Pre-order DEAD GIRLS SOCIETY by Michelle Krys & get an invite to join the Society, a code to access exclusive content & signed poster!
- Pre-order REMEMBER YESTERDAY by Pintip Dunn and get a Remember Yesterday bookmark, a signed bookplate, and an eBook version of Before Tomorrow, a Forget Tomorrow novella from Logan’s POV, before anyone else can read it. (INT readers can get the novella only.)
- Pre-order HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer to get a Heartless branded magnetic bookmark.
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS ILLUSTRATED EDITION and get a wall sticker and 20% off. Order the deluxe edition to get a tote and 20% off. Or order both to get both the sticker and the tote and 30% off. (UK/AU/NZ residents only)
- Pre-order LITTLE BOT AND SPARROW by Jake Parker and enter to receive a signed print (while supplies last) by Jake Parker. All entrants are also automatically entered for a chance to win one of five custom prints by Jake!
- Pre-order CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo or the SIX OF CROWS DUOLOGY Boxed Set and you’ll get a fancy dice set in a branded pouch and a signed bookplate.
- Pre-order METALTOWN by Kristen Simmons and you can enter to win one of four fabulous prize packs!
- Pre-order STEALING SNOW by Danielle Paige to receive a compact mirror!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
Again, lots of giveaways going on around the blogosphere this week!!!
- Head over to Skye’s Scribblings for a chance to win a hardcover of The Dark Talent by Brandon Sanderson and a swag button
- Head over to Chapter by Chapter for a chance to win a copy of Furthermore, a Tarte™ Matte Lip Tint, and a Gimme Brow Volumizing Gel (US Only)
- It’s Suze’s birthday and she has several giveaways going to celebrate, including a Book of choice worth $12 & 3 awesome book necklaces!
- Head over to Lili’s Reflections for a chance to win a Roald Dahl 100 Celebratory Prize Pack
- Head over to Kissin’ Blue Karen for a chance to win one of two Copies of Labyrinth Lost & Signed Bookmarks
- Writing My Own Fairy Tale has a weekly Friday Grab Bag where you can enter to win an ARC from her list!
- Head over to Jessabella Reads to enter to be one of three winners who will receive a finished copy of THE FORGETTING courtesy of Scholastic. US Only.
- Head over to FiktShun for a chance to win a Torch Against the Night Prize Pack
- The Bookavid is celebrating its two year blogoversary with a giveaway! Enter to be one of three people to win $20 worth of books from The Book Depository (INTL)
- Head over to The Reading Date for a chance to win The Possibility of Somewhere
- Lauren @ Shooting Stars Mag is celebrating her blogoversary with giveaways! Enter to win a cute Pineapple prize pack and a reader’s tote bag.
- Head over to Where Are You Going to win a print of a gorgeous lettering project from Six of Crows!
- Head over to Lilybloombooks for a chance to win a signed copy of all eight Middle Grade books featured on her Back to School Bookshelf Tour!
- Head over to Stuck in Books for a chance to win The Epidemic by Suzanne Young
- A Writer’s Tales has a blogoversary giveaway going on. You can enter to win any art print, mug, or totebag from Pam’s Society6 shop in November.
- Insane About Books is celebrating its fifth blogoversary by giving away a Mystery Box of Books (US) and $20 for TBD (INT)
- Author Kimberly Derting is giving away an ARC of Kami Garcia’s THE LOVELY RECKLESS
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for the Shattering Stigmas giveaway!
- Star-Crossed Book blog has giveaways going for their blogoversary. Some have ended, but there’s still a chance to win The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, Angelfall by Susan Ee, The Unearthly Trilogy by Cynthia Hand and The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton, The Artists Trilogy (Sins & Needles, Shooting Scars and Bold Tricks) by Karina Halle (ebook), and Anew by Chelsea Fine (ebook)
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!