Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
Yesterday I attended the YA Lit Conference at Anderson’s Bookshop – it’s a conference aimed at educators with 33 YA authors. I took notes on the keynotes and breakouts, and I’ll try to summarize some of the fun things I learned in a post next week! Today, I’m at the YA Fandom Frenzy event, which is more fan-focused.
In personal news, we had some things happen with my husband’s job this week that threw us into a complete tailspin–nothing bad, per se, but some major decisions need to be made and it’s all very stressful (and especially hard not to second-guess ourselves). Between the conference and the personal stuff going on, I’m going to try to get this week’s Sunday Post up quick. We shall see how I do with that.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week:
- Gilt Hollow by Lorie Langdon – Review
- The Trouble with Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis – Review
- Remember Yesterday by Pintip Dunn – Review & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win a Limited, Annotated Hardcover of the first book in the series!
- I Have Giveaway Guilt. Let’s Discuss!
- September Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway
Next week on FYFA:
- Some reviews. Probably Spindle by Shonna Slayton, Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven and/or Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland, but I make no promises.
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Three birthdays this week! Make sure you send these bloggers som. Also, check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
- October 9th – Jillian @ Jillian’s Books’ Birthday
- October 13th – Mara @ Mara Was Here‘s Birthday
- October 14th – Grace @ Rebel Mommy Book Blog‘s Birthday
I’m really tired, and I don’t have pictures ready, so I’m just going to update this next week.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some posts I especially loved this week:
- Lola @ Lola’s Reviews gives fantastic Advice on Running a Giveaway (especially great for authors)
- The gals over at Chapter Break share some Bookish Halloween Costumes
- Cait over at Paper Fury gives us 10 Reasons Why Book Collecting Is Actually the Worst
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- Chasing Truth by Julie Cross – Review, Giveaway & Cross’s Top Ten Addictions – Still time to enter to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card and a paperback copy of Whatever Life Throws at You (INT)
- Wendy Darling: Seas by Colleen Oakes – Fall Favorite Things Blog Tour Spotlight & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win an ARC of the book!
- October Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- Pre-order DIE FOR YOU by Amy Fellner Dominy and receive a personalized signed copy of the book along with a hand-crafted necklace (while supplies last). Open most places internationally.
- Pre-order BLOOD FOR BLOOD by Ryan Graudin to receive Storm After Storm—a Wolf by Wolf digital short story in Adele Wolfe’s point of view.
- Pre-order GLITTER by Aprilynn Pike and get a fun Glitter swag bag!
- Pre-order DEAD GIRLS SOCIETY by Michelle Krys & get an invite to join the Society, a code to access exclusive content & signed poster!
- Pre-order HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer to get a Heartless branded magnetic bookmark.
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- It Starts at Midnight just turned three and Shannon is celebrating with a giveaway!!
- Lilybloombooks hosts Middle Grade Madness, a link-up for MG reviews. Link up and enter to win a MG book! You can also head to her blog for a chance to win an autographed copy of Wishapick: Tickety Boo and the Black Trunk, the Wishapick: Tickety Boo and the Black Trunk soundtrack, and a Fitbit Alta
- Enter to win a trip to meet Marissa Meyer!
- The Bookavid is celebrating its two year blogoversary with a giveaway! Enter to be one of three people to win $20 worth of books from The Book Depository (INTL)
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Oh no, I hope everything is okay! *hugs*
It’s not a horrible thing. It’s just a decision that could have major ramifications for us either way, and it’s so stressful to make that sort of decision without constantly wondering if you chose the right path. Where’s a crystal ball when you need one?
I hope everything turns out okay.
Thanks, AJ. Either way, it’s going to turn out fine – it’s just the stress of figuring out what to do that’s hard!!
I hope everything turns out okay! Big decisions are always stressful.
On a brighter note, thank you SO MUCH for including the Blood for Blood pre-order deal! I loved Wolf by Wolf, so Blood for Blood is one of my most anticipated releases for the rest of the year – I can’t believe I didn’t know about this! Now I definitely need to pre-order it.
I loved Wolf by Wolf too!! Have you read Iron to Iron – if you haven’t I think it’s definitely worthwhile!
Awesome haul. I hope you love all of your new books.
Grace @ Books of Love
Sorry about the stressful personal news; I’m glad it’s nothing too bad though! I hope you all can figure things out soon and without too much stress.
Yeah, decisions are not my forte and HUGE decisions are just super stressful for me. I’d rather bury my head in the sand and just let things happen. 🙂
No bueno about stressful decisions. I hope it gets resolved in the best way possible for you guys.
Thanks – figuring it all out has been stressful.
Good luck with your decisions! I know a couple people who are having work changes or turmoil, so it seems to be going around. Never fun but hopefully it turns out well in your case.
I’m kinda curious about Our Chemical Hearts (that cover w/ the fish gets my attention). Have a great weekend!
Our Chemical Hearts was really interesting – a different take on romance than what you typically see.
Sounds like crazy times! Hope everything turns out okay with your husband’s job! I wanted to do the Anderson’s YA Lit Conference or even just the Fandom Frenzy, but there wasn’t a whole lot of authors I read who were in attendance, so I couldn’t justify the price and drive up there. Maybe another time. Sigh…
Hope you enjoy your new reads!
Here’s my STS post
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Yeah, I’m lucky that I live so close to Anderson’s. Maybe it’s better that I don’t live TOO close, though, or I’d never be home!
The two events sounds really cool. Hope everything is ok with you guys and you come to a decision! Have a great week!!
Thanks. It’s been a bit crazy, but I think we’re closer to figuring out what we’re going to do. Hopefully by tomorrow we’ll have made a decision – it’s just a stressful process!
Ugh! Work changes are the worst! I hope things go well :). good luck!
Uh oh, I hope everything’s okay with your husband’s business! That sounds worrisome. Hugs.
sorry you are undergoing a bit of stress, I hope whatever it is you guys work it out and everything will be for the best <3
The YA Lit Fest sounds like fun! I was like you with being so busy I just kind of died out a little on the posting for the stacking the shelves. I forgot on my Wendy Darling to include any giveaways or the Fall Tour info. Oops! Hope you have a great week! You can check out my Sunday Post in the link below!
Trying to make decisions and not sure which path would be the best fit is SO hard! We had that last year with my husband’s job and it left for many sleepless nights trying to figure out which would be the best choice. Pros and Cons lists were super helpful for us. Wishing you lots of luck with your guy’s decision!
I’m beyond late for getting around to all the Sunday Post round ups. Sorry! It’s just been one of those weeks.
I loved your Giveaway Guilt post although I haven’t had a chance it comment on it at all.
I hope you have a great week this week.
The YA conference sounds great. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Hope you and your husband have managed to reach a decision that you’re both comfortable with and that you have some peace about it.
Here’s to a great week! 🙂