My Goings On in January:
- I went to Veronica Roth’s author event for Carve the Mark.
- I visited our local tech campus with my son to learn about their video game design program (he’s VERY interested).
Most Popular Posts:
Um, all of my top posts for this month were the same as they were last month.
- As usual, A Spoiler-Filled Discussion of Three Dark Crowns, which was posted at the end of September, was my top post.
- And my next top post was still my List of 2017 Reading/Blogging Challenges. Apparently, lots of people are still looking for challenges! (By the way, I took this off my sidebar, but you can still find it in my main menu at the top of my blog under “Challenges.”)
- Next is the 2017 Book Blog Discussion Challenge Sign-Up.
Other Features & Discussions:
January Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway – Still a few more days to link up and/or enter
Why Does Technology Scare Me So? Let’s Discuss!
December Recap & 2016 Challenge Wrap-Up
Top Ten Books I Missed in 2016
Let’s Discuss: Special Niche Genres
Wrap-Up Giveaway!! – This one’s still going on!
Top Ten Hidden Gems of 2016
Seeing the Book Blogging World Through Rose-Colored Glasses: Let’s Discuss
One More Reading Challenge for 2017: Bookopoly
January Wrap-Up Round-Up – Link up your January wrap-up posts here!
Recap of Veronica Roth’s Carve the Mark Event
My 2017 Reading Progress:
A new year means new stats! (Five of these are manga, and two are ones I just finished in February, by the way.)
January 2017 Reviews
Lots of really great reads this month—and then a few not so great ones. I actually started out the the year with a couple of my lowest rated reads, so that was unpleasant.
- Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall | Review | Rating: 5/5
- Cursed Queen by Sarah Fine | Review | Rating: 4/5
- A List of Cages by Robin Roe | Review | Rating: 5/5
- Pocket Full of Tinder by Jill Archer | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
- White Heart of Justice by Jill Archer | Review | Rating: 3/5
- Pushing the Boundaries by Stacey Trombley | Review | Rating: 3.5/5
- Long Way Home by Katie McGarry | Review | Rating: 5/5
- Accidentally on Purpose by Jill Shalvis | Review | Rating: 4/5
- New York Nights by C.J. Duggan | Review | Rating: 3/5
- RoseBlood by A.G. Howard | Review | Rating: 1/5
- Frost by M.P. Kozlowsky | Review | Rating: 2/5
- The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead | Review | Rating: 4.5/5
January Best of the Bunch:
(Best of the Bunch is hosted over at Cocoon of Books. We link up our favorite reads of the month!)
Once again, it was hard to choose this month because two of my five star reads are relatively similar and the third is completely different. Still, I ended up settling on this one because, when I think back, this is the one that appealed to me in a few different ways. I loved both the heart and the humor in this book, and Gornall truly made me feel for her MC.
2017 Reading Challenges Progress:
Status: 3/41 Discussions Posted
Off to a decent start with the Discussion Challenge!
Status: 6/50 Books Read
I reviewed six fantasies this month (so I increased my goal!!)
As of yet, I haven’t read any of Alexa and Rachel’s favorites that I’ve planned to read: Throne of Glass, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Six of Crows, The Winner’s Curse, Graceling. I’m keeping their pictures here, so I don’t forget about them! (I actually kind of did forget about this challenge this month, but I read a lot of fantasy, so it’s not a hard challenge for me.)
Status: 0/21-30 Books
I know this looks bad, BUT I’ve actually read four books toward this challenge—I just haven’t reviewed them yet. (For my own ease, I base my challenges on what I’ve reviewed rather than what I’ve read; otherwise, it’s just too hard for me to keep track of.)
Status: 0/5-10 Books
Once again, this looks worse than it is. I just finished reading the last two books in the Bloodlines series, but I haven’t gotten reviews up yet. They’ll be up soon!
Here are some of the series I’m hoping to finish this year (as a reminder to myself):
Status: 8/61-100 books read
Status: 1/15-20 Books Listened To
Status: 12/76 Possible Gameboard Spaces
The hardest thing about this challenge is deciding where to use my books (since some could fit into multiple spots). Since it’s the first month, I managed to use all twelve of my read books in a space somewhere! I updated my gameboard with pictures of books (one, two or three) on the ones I’ve gotten.
(Red) Over 400 Pages Long: Long Way Home & Cursed Queen (which means I have a shelf on this one!)
(Red) Part of a Series: Accidentally on Purpose, Pocket Full of Tinder and White Heart of Justice (a bookcase!)
(Yellow) Animal on the Cover: Under Rose-Tainted Skies
(Green) Set at Sea: The Glittering Court (the whole thing isn’t set at sea, but there’s a good portion of the middle that involves their voyage across the sea and it’s a very important setting in the story, so I’m counting it)
(Pink) MC from a Different Country Than You: Pushing the Boundaries (one of the MCs is from Haiti)
(Orange) Free Read: A List of Cages & Frost (a shelf!)
(Gray) Free Read: New York Nights & RoseBlood (a shelf!)
HOST/SIGN-UP LINK – Broc’s Bookcase
Don’t forget to link your January wrap-up posts up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up! And check out the giveaway, which will be posted here on Feed Your Fiction Addiction sometime later this week!