This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
The end of summer is sneaking up on me and I’m kind of scrambling. We take my daughter to camp tomorrow, so we’ve been getting her packed. I just finished up a second edit of my newest project, and now I need to get started on figuring out my curriculum for next year’s homeschool co-op classes before we go on vacation at the beginning of August (and, preferably before our Japanese exchange student gets here on the 22nd).
So, if I haven’t been around to your blog recently, I promise that I’ll be doing more visiting soon!!
We’ve been moving all of our old pictures and videos to Amazon Drive, so we’ve been doing a lot of reminiscing this week, watching old videos from when the kids were really little. It’s all sorts of adorable!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week:
- The 2017 RITA ‘Best First Book’ Finalists Giveaway – Still time to enter to win a copy of each of the RITA 2017 ’Best First Book’ nominated titles (6 books!)
- The Lake Effect by Erin McCahan: Review
- What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum: Review
Next week on FYFA:
- Lucky in Love by Kasie West – Review & Giveaway
- No Good Deed by Kara Connolly – Review, Giveaway, and Connolly’s Top Ten Addictions
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Latest FYFA Giveaway Winners!!:
- Nothing new this week!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- July 20th – Boats Against The Current‘s Blogoversary
- July 20th – Mostly YA Lit‘s Blogoversary
- July 22nd – Lloyd @ The Book Sage‘s Birthday
I loved Clara Kensie’s last book, so I jumped at the chance to review Deception So Deadly! And I was kicking myself for not inquiring about Invictus at ALA, so I had to download that one from Edelweiss! Again, I’ve LOVED all of Graudin’s books so far!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Jessica @ a GREAT read talks about Disney vs. Fairy Tales
- Platypire Reviews shares about Anxiety and Social Media
- Author K.L. Kranes writes this post called Then and Now: Rewriting the Book on School Reading Lists
- Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight tells us about her Blogging History
I’m now putting these in order of release date to make it easier on myself (and you, I think). Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
- ***Pre-order THIS IS HOW IT HAPPENED by Paula Stokes and receive two signed bookmarks, a signed bookplate, a round sticker, and a magnet. (ends 7/16)
- Pre-order THE LAST MAGICIAN by Lisa Maxwell and receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, and a temporary tattoo. (ends 7/17)
- Pre-order IN 27 DAYS by Alison Gervais and receive a bonus chapter! (ends 7/24)
- ***Pre-order STAR WARS SUPER GRAPHIC and receive a free poster (ends 7/24)
- ***Pre-order VICARIOUS or FEROCIOUS by Paula Stokes and receive two signed bookmarks, a signed bookplate, a sticker, and a magnet. (ends 8/13)
- Pre-order CRYSTAL BLADE by Kathryn Purdie and receive a high-quality map print, a bookmark, an autographed and personalized bookplate, and a download link for the song Purdie wrote and recorded for Burning Glass. (ends 8/15)
- ***Pre-order THE DAZZLING HEIGHTS by Katharine McGee to get a glitzy makeup bag! (ends 8/29)
- Pre-order WARCROSS by Marie Lu and receive “Life After Legend” an exclusive short story set after the events of the Legend Series (ends 9/11)
- Pre-order TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive pouch! (ends 9/4)
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed with this week’s posts)
- ALA Annual Event Recap (& Giveaway!) – Still time to enter to win a signed copy of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart!
- July Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag and enter to win a book of choice and a Starbucks gift card!
- Head over to Angel’s Guilty Pleasures and read 10 Quick Things about her and then enter to win a $5 gift card!
- Read It Forward is giving you the chance to win The Address by Fiona Davis
- If you’re a gambler, you can enter to win something from the Dream Me blog tour (which can be found at Hooked to Books).
- Head over to Girl Plus Books for a chance to win one of five signed copies of UNTIL IT FADES by K.A. Tucker
- Head over to Tales of the Ravenous Reader for a chance to win one of 5 Copies of Midnight Jewel by Richelle Mead!
- Megan over @ Book Birds is celebrating her 1st blogoversary and she’s giving you a chance to win a book from TBD to celebrate! (INT)
- The Bookkeeper’s Secrets is doing a year-long giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I am constantly amazed at how many authors I flat-out have never heard of. With all the reading I do, it doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface. I would say that’s a good thing.
I agree. It never ceases to amaze me!
Phew. I’m breathless just thinking about all the stuff you need to do this summer! I can’t believe it’s fast ending for you. It seems like ours just started up here.
Anyway, I’m sure you’ll do splendidly well. 🙂
Happy reading, Nicole!
I can’t handle the thought that I have less than a month to get my act together!
Sounds like you have a lot going on, Nicole. But vacation is on the horizon – yay! I’m reading Lucky in Love right now. Only 30% in but it’s so, so cute. And Seth – oh my goodness, what a sweetheart. Thanks for the shout-out about the K.A. Tucker giveaway. I loved Until it Fades and would be excited to see someone I know win a copy. 🙂
My review of Lucky in Love goes up tomorrow. Really enjoyed it!
I’m also running a giveaway for The Intuitives until the 18th! One HC and 2 paperbacks!
So sorry I didn’t get this into the post in time, but hopefully people saw it in the comments!
It’s ok….there’s another one for a single HC for the next four days…it’s pinned to my Twitter profile @TeacherofYA. So if anyone wants another chance at The Intuitives, they have it!
Thanks for sharing!
OOoh nice! Seeing a lot of Invictus around lately! Hope you enjoy that one too!
And ooh I was double checking the preorder gift list and saw that Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo wasn’t up yet. Think they revealed it earlier this week, as I remember I had to preorder that one! This is for a character poster!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Thanks so much! I’ll make sure to add that one to the post next week!
Aw, I love looking back at old photos and the like. How fun! Thanks so much for sharing about my favorite things giveaway. 🙂
I really wanted Invictus at ALA but I was at the booth when someone asked and they had all been given away earlier that morning. Sigh.
I forget how adorable the kids were at those ages. It’s really fun to reminisce!
Aw, old photos and videos are wonderful to look at. Ah the memories! ^_^
Thank you for sharing my 10 Quick Things About Me post and giveaway! Wonderful to see a mention.
Hope your daughter has fun at camp. Have a great week and happy reading.
Always happy to share giveaways when I find them!
The end of summer IS sneaking up! I hate it. I need some more summer. I don’t even want to think of curriculum for the year. I forgot you’re getting an exchange student! I’m sure your son will love it, getting to practice his Japanese. Good luck with getting things ready this week!
I know! I’m not ready for summer to be over!!
Ooh I did miss your review of the Lake Effect, I’ve ben kinda looking forward to that one due to the Lake Michigan setting. Just went over and read your review and glad to hear it was good. will definitely be reading it now!
Invictus looks really good too.
Glad to know that the recap of posts you may have missed is helpful! 🙂
Looking at old pictures is so much fun (usually). You sound busy. Good luck getting everything done. Have a great week!
Yeah, there are always some scary ones, but for the most part it’s fun! 🙂
Oh, no, no, no, don’t say the words end of summer lol. It’s my favorite time of the year, and I never want it to end.?
I am so excited to see your reviews of Lucky in Love and No Good Deed! They both sound amazing!
I know—I’m not at all ready for summer to be over!
I always love reading these Sunday recap posts! I have a giveaway going on for my 18th birthday here: https://arcticbooks.wordpress.com/2017/07/02/18th-bday-giveaway/
Thanks for sharing and I hope you had a fantastic birthday!
Ha. When I loved all of our old photos and videos to Amazon Drive, I did the same thing. Lots of reminiscing. I’m sure I spent a lot of time just staring into space remembering all the old days. 🙂
“When I MOVED…” though I did love all the photos. Lol.
Ha! You loved those photos straight to Amazon Drive! 🙂
We have it set up now so that it can be a background on our TV—it just shuffles through random old photos and we ooh and ahh over them.