I have not been this obsessed with a series ever. I’ve certainly never prepared to read a new book in a series so thoroughly:
- I first reread “The Young Queens”
- And then read “The Oracle Queen” (I posted a Spoiler-Filled Discussion of both novellas just yesterday.)
- Then I read recaps of both Three Dark Crowns and One Dark Throne (Click the link if you need a reminder and want to read the recaps on Recaptains)
- And then reread my Spoiler-Filled Discussions of TDC and ODT as well.
For me, that’s a lot of prep work! But it’s all worth it because the mysteries in this series keep getting twistier and twistier, and I love every minute of the sleuthing!!
You can watch for a Spoiler-Filled Discussion of Two Dark Reigns to come next week (to give more people a chance to read it first), but for now, check out my completely spoiler-free review below.
Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake
Series: Three Dark Crowns #3
Also in this series: Three Dark Crowns
Published by HarperTeen on September 4, 2018
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Blog Tour
My content rating: YA (Characters have sex, but it's not shown; Violence)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Kendare Blake returns with the highly anticipated third book in the Three Dark Crowns series!
Katharine sits on the throne, Mirabella and Arsinoe are in hiding, and an unexpected renegade is about to wage a war of her own. The crown has been won, but these queens are far from done.
What Fed My Addiction:
- The Blue Queen. We get lots of backstory about the last Blue Queen in this book. Her story is a major part of the plotline (I won’t tell how), and I LOVED it. In fact, I think the Blue Queen subplot was my favorite part of this book because we learn so many new and interesting things about the history of the queens and the island. Plus, the subplot sends the series off into a new direction (and maybe becomes the main plot by the end?). (It also helped that I had a major theory about the Blue Queen storyline, and I couldn’t wait to see if I was right!)
- The old Katharine is back (sometimes). Katharine is back to being the softer, sweeter version of herself in this book. Most of the time. But when she’s not, she’s not!
- Look out world, here Jules comes! I am a HUGE fan of Jules, so I was ready to see her rise up in a major way in this book and become her own person, apart from Arsinoe and Joseph. I got my wish! (Though it didn’t go as far as I’d hoped it would—won’t say more because of spoilers.)
- A taste of the mainland. We got to see a little bit of what the mainland is like through Arsinoe’s and Mirabella’s eyes.
- An ending that has you chomping at the bit for more. I can’t believe I now have to wait another year to find out how this whole thing is going to end! Blake left our characters in some pretty serious quandaries, and it’s hard to imagine how they’ll all make it out alive/in one piece/sane. Maybe they won’t!
What Left Me Hungry for More:
- Maybe expected a little more forward motion? Based on the title of the book, I was expecting we’d see the details of two reigns—and we sort of did, but they weren’t the reigns I was expecting, and we really didn’t get very far into either reign at all. (More to look forward to in the final book?) This book focused a lot more on a huge brand new obstacle that wasn’t an issue in earlier books, so that was a bit of a surprise. Still, I enjoyed the ride, and I trust Blake to pull it all together in book four!!
Hold onto your head because the twists and turns in this dramatic installment just might give you whiplash! (And we don’t want anyone to get hurt.) If you’re a fan of this series, you’ll find plenty in Two Dark Reigns to get excited about—changing allegiances, bloody standoffs, the possible wrath of a Goddess, and four young women who aren’t afraid to fight for the island they love! Bring on book four!!!
***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via Jean Book Nerd Tours in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
About The Author
Kendare Blake is the author of several novels and short stories, most of which you can find information about via the links above. Her work is sort of dark, always violent, and features passages describing food from when she writes while hungry. She was born in July (for those of you doing book reports) in Seoul, South Korea, but doesn’t speak a lick of Korean, as she was packed off at a very early age to her adoptive parents in the United States. That might be just an excuse, though, as she is pretty bad at learning foreign languages. She enjoys the work of Milan Kundera, Caitlin R Kiernan, Bret Easton Ellis, Richard Linklater, and the late, great Michael Jackson, I mean, come on, he gave us Thriller.
She lives and writes in Kent, Washington, with her husband, their cat son Tyrion Cattister, red Doberman dog son Obi-Dog Kenobi, rottie mix dog daughter Agent Scully, and naked sphynx cat son Armpit McGee.
– 2 Winners will receive a Copy of I Winner will receive a Copy of TWO DARK REIGNS by Kendare Blake.
– 1 Winner will receive a $25.00 Amazon/PayPal Gift Card.