This tag was created by Dellybird, and I was tagged by Renee @ Renee’s Bookcase. Thanks for tagging me!
Basically, we’re just supposed to list ten things that make us weird. Not too tough, considering I have plenty of weird quirks (just ask my kids—they make fun of me for them all the time).
Why I’m Weird
- I sing nonsensical, made-up songs constantly. They usually involve puppies (’cause puppies are just awesome). Often, they’re sung to the tune of random worship songs. I think this might be somewhat blasphemous. (“How great is my puppy? Sing with me, how great is my puppy? And all will see how great, how great is my puppy.”)
- I also have crazy catch-phrases that I say often. I wrote a post about this once. I try to keep them mostly contained to my family, but sometimes I fail. For years, my kids (and my oldest’s best friend) thought that “O’Boise Idaho” was a normal thing that people say when something goes wrong (basically, my version of “oh boy”). They also didn’t realize “mystappeared” isn’t a real word.
- I didn’t drink coffee until I was 40, but now I’m hooked and can’t go a day without it without getting a headache.
- I can’t stick to a to-do list or an organizer. Like, just can’t do it. I’ve tried. Lots of times. And failed.
- In our household, we often play the “There’s a Cat Licking Your Birthday Cake” song on birthdays. No matter how many times I hear it, I am greatly amused. My kids and I know every word and we sing along. Loudly.
- I’ve had five ferrets in my lifetime. I had one growing up as a kid and then I got two in college. My roommate also got two of his own. I ended up inheriting his two and then I had four. I LOVE ferrets and would still have them, but they’re pretty stinky and destroy carpet with their little claws—not a great pet when you have a house you want to keep decent. I don’t think I could convince my husband to get one again. (I’ve also had three hamsters, five dogs, a newt, a couple of frogs, and lots of fish.)
- I often start sentences and don’t finish them. This drives my oldest crazy! I just start a sentence and then drift off… I don’t even necessarily finish the sentence in my head. Sometimes it’s because I’m not quite sure where I was going… Other times, I feel like the ending is obvious and yet non-specific. So, yeah, everyone’s supposed to read my mind.
- I barely watch TV or listen to music anymore. I mostly only watch TV when I do the elliptical. Right now I’m watching Game of Thrones, but it will probably take me forever to catch up with the world. My husband watches random YouTube videos of people fixing lawnmowers or doing woodworking or something, so I guess you could say I watch those, but… they hardly count. And we don’t really listen to popular music either. We have the local Christian station on in our car (but I mostly listen to audiobooks these days), and I occasionally listen to music from Dear Evan Hansen, but that’s it. My daughter started freshman year at public school this year and realized how outside of popular culture she is. We didn’t purposely shelter her—we just don’t have much TV or music on at home!
- I laugh really loudly. I have a crazy loud laugh that’s probably obnoxious. When we had a Spanish exchange student living with us for a month, she thought we were such a strange family because we laugh all the time, and we laugh loud!! (Especially me. We also did weird things like have dance parties—the exchange student got used to our weirdness, and I think she actually liked it by the end.)
- I always have a million tabs open on my computer. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but most of the time you literally can’t even see what my tabs are because I have so many open. My husband finally made me download a Chrome extension called The Great Suspender that suspends any tab I haven’t used in a certain amount of time. Otherwise my computer would basically not work because I try to get it to do so much at once. Here’s a pic of my toolbar at this very moment (and no, I didn’t plan for this or anything—this is just its natural state):
10 Bloggers I Tag:
I’m usually too much of a wimp to actually tag people, but this time I decided, why not? I want to learn weird things about all my blogger friends. So, if I tagged you and you don’t feel like participating … don’t! 🙂
(And if I didn’t tag you, but you do feel like participating, go for it—I was tempted to add way more people to this list, but I decided it would be obnoxious.)
- Jessica @ a Great read
- AJ @ Read All the Things
- Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books
- Genesis @ Whispering Chapters
- Tanya @ Girl Plus Books
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight
- Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books
- Malka & Chana @ Paper Procrastinators
- Dani @ Perspective of a Writer
- Lauren @ ShootingStarsMag
I was tagged for this and started my post but have it scheduled for September. What made you suddenly try coffee at 40? I was stealing sips as a child but not at home. My Dad was the only coffee drinker and he used to drink instant at home until I was a teen, then they finally got a coffee maker..until then I though the stuff was mud! LOL
That’s because you’re way more organized than me! 🙂
My husband actually convinced me to start drinking coffee because I am NOT a morning person. LOL!
I used to sing a lot of weird made up songs! But some kids shamed me for it a few times and I’ve been afraid to do that since like age 8 xD I do create basically poems to my cat hahah 😀 poems of praise, of course.
And I also barely watch TV! And barely listen to music anymore. I don’t regret the TV, but I regret the music. I miss that, but somehow it’s so easy to get out of the habit.
How dare they tease you for your creative singing! At least you’ve kept those creative juices flowing with your cat poems. 🙂
If I have time, I might try this. But the first one is so funny because it is exactly something I do! I make up songs, or I should say I take the words/tunes of songs and replace them with my own words. Like the song from the 80s about “I don’t want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day”. I always replace with “I just want to read my book all day.” And then I have redone the Rainbow Connection with words about the new house for my dogs with the fenced yard, before I got this new house. I love this! So much fun!
Yes, some of my songs are more nonsensical than others. Using regular tunes and putting in my own creative words is a specialty of mine.
Aww thanks for tagging me! Also, I start sentences without finishing them! My most used phrase is “I forgot what I was saying” ? ? It’s a serious problem for me ?
Who needs to know where all those sentences were meant to go, right? 🙂
Hmm I might do this at some point because I love learning weird facts about other bloggers. This is a fun one. I’ve never had a ferret but I’ve had 12 rats, 17 hamsters, 2 gerbils and other animals. lol Now I have a dog though so no more rodents at this time.
You should definitely do it!! One of my friends when I was a kid had rats. I always thought they were cute. I love the rat pics you always put on your blog. 🙂
Awww I love your answers <3 Made up songs are awesome! Honestly, in my house it is almost weirder to sing a 'real' song. Puppies also feature in many of ours. You have so many pets! That is awesome. Ferrets are really cool but not the easiest of pets as you say. We have two dogs right now, though I really miss having hamsters. I'm glad that i'm not the only one who starts sentences but
Thanks for completing the tag 🙂 Reading people's answers always makes me smile.
Thanks for creating this fun tag! Let’s face it, we all have things that make us weird, right? And I’m glad I’m not the only one who randomly makes up songs all the time. My kids insist mine are excessive, but now I can prove that lots of people support me in my craziness. 😉
There’s a cat licking your birthday cake… LOL Can’t say I’ve ever heard that one before. 🙂 I have made-up words, too. And often forget that no one else knows what I’m talking about! I rarely watch TV, either. Just doesn’t interest me much. And I’m with you on the million tabs… guilty! LOL Thanks for tagging me, Nicole!
The Cat Licking Your Birthday Cake song is hilarious! My favorite part is “He can’t read so he does not know that the cake is not for him. It might be his birthday too, but the chance of that is slim.” LOL!!
This is such a fun tag!
It’s funny, my mother says “Sorry, Cindy” all the time, and I thought that was just a phrase. It was only a year or two ago that I learned that there’s a whole story behind that phrase, and only my family says that! The Cat Licking Your Birthday Cake song is AMAZING and I’m now going to send it to all my friends on their birthdays!
I had so much fun learning more about you and I can’t wait to do this tag! (Eventually though, because we’re somehow a few months behind in tags. I think this is what we slacked on when midterms and finals hit.)
Yes, you should definitely send the song to everyone on their birthday! It’s the best!! No pressure on completing the tag. Whenever you get to it. 🙂
Ferrets!! I’ve never known someone with ferrets, but I always like seeing them in pet stores. So cute!! Such a fun tag 🙂
Ferrets are adorable. One of my favorite Bookstagram accounts is TheBookFerret. So cute!
Ha! My mom never finishes her sentences either and it drives me crazy. Your number 1 is hilarious! I found myself singing along….puppies are totally awesome!
You and my kids would get along well, then! LOL!
Aww I love this!! And ferrets rule!! We had two when I was growing up; Dora and Daisy. They were precious!
Awww, yay for a fellow ferret lover!
I love that your family thought your made up phrases were real lol. I have never heard this cat licking cake song, but now I’m going to have to check it out.
“Other times, I feel like the ending is obvious and yet non-specific.” Yes! This! I do this too for this reason. Like, idk how to finish the sentence exactly, but the message is implied?
Oh wow, that IS a lot of tabs! I sometimes have a lot too, but maybe not that many. Too many and my browser crashes lol.
Thank you for getting my obvious/unspecific thing. I didn’t know how to describe that, so it’s good to know there’s someone who gets me!
These are terrific!
I used to think it was so cute that one of my parents would mispronounce something, and the other would adopt that pronunciation too. There’s a Brookwood Avenue near their down-sized home, and they both always called it Brockwood. And my sister was in college before she learned that putting things off is not “pronasticating.”
My husband is a chess player, and “J’adoube,” which means “I adjust” is what you have to say if you’re going to touch a piece without moving it. That became our term for picking a wedgie, and yes, it took our kids a loooooong time to figure out that this is not the normal term.
I don’t make up songs so much, but after a childhood full of camp songs and radio, I have a snatch of song for nearly any occasion. They’re like reaction gifs for me!
I love it! Glad I’m not the only one who makes up random words and then accidentally tricks her poor kids into thinking they’re real. LOL!
Thanks for the tag! I petted a ferret recently because it was in the campground where I work. (Yes, it turns out that people bring their pet ferrets camping with them. Who knew?) I’ve always wanted a ferret. I think they’re awesome.
Oh, it would be fun to bring your ferret camping! Did they have a leash, I assume? They’re good at escaping and a campground would be a scary place to lose your pet!
I love this so much. I definitely do and say weird things all the time. My family and friends are fairly used to it by this point I think. I love that you make up your own songs, and about puppies too! Puppies are great. Thanks for the tag – I’ll have to try and do this one soon.
Yeah, my family just knows I’m weird and they don’t think much of it anymore. Glad you enjoyed this one! I look forward to finding out about your weirdness. 🙂
I totally understand barely watching TV anymore! You are so busy! I can definitely picture you laughing loudly
My loud-laughing personality probably comes across in my blogging. That’s why I have to say LOL so much—it’s not an exaggeration. 🙂
Ahh this is such a fun tag, I love it so much! I also tend to start sentences and somehow never finish them haha, I’m so glad I’m not the only one. And a thousand billions tabs opened, that’s me and probably why my computer really hates me hahaha 🙂
Thank you so much for tagging me 😀
If I didn’t have that Chrome extension, my computer would basically be in constant revolt. Right now I have even more tabs open. LOL!
And my husband thinks *I* have a lot of tabs open on my computer at one time.
I love the “Cat Licking Your Birthday Cake” song too. And “It’s Raining Tacos” whenever I make tacos (my boy loves them, tacos). Although we do know when our cat’s birthday is to within a week, so we know when it’s not her birthday. I don’t watch TV either, and rarely music (although I love music).
Yes, “It’s Raining Tacos” is awesome too!! Now it’s going to be running through my head all night. 🙂
What a cute tag. Mystappeared should definitely be a word, it makes total sense to me. I think laughing loud is a beautiful thing, it tells me you enjoy life. When I blog hop, I have all the tabs open and it feels like I will never get though them all, but then I do. Loved reading this post!
I even put mystappeared in my book. One of my critique partners pointed out my “error” and I laughed (to myself, of course). 🙂
This is a fun post! I can relate to not finishing my sentences because I’m not sure where I’m going or because I simply don’t feel the need to finish lol. I also barely watch TV or listen to music. All my TV is because my family hangs out through it. (I’m the one big reader sadly, though The Expanse show got my brother to start reading the books!)
I love organizers, though I go through phases where I use my planner and then don’t. Your browser would drive me insane! If I have to have a lot of tabs open, I split them amongst multiple windows by general topic lol.
How did you start saying mystappeared?
Oh, I often have multiple browsers open as well (right now I have two), but I still manage to have a million tabs open.
Mystappeared is just a random word I started saying to mean something mysteriously disappeared. I lose stuff a lot, so things are often mystappearing around here. LOL!
#8, me too. I used to watch so much TV, but now, since I am gone for such a large portion of the day, I have little to no desire. I only seem to listen to music when I am with my daughter as well, which is not often. I love the Cat Licking song (I am going to google that), and OBoisie Idaho is adorable. I love it! And, well, I am glad you learned about the finer things in life when you turned 40.
I need to spread my love of The Cat Licking Your Birthday Cake song to the world–it is truly hilarious and adorable! And I’m with you on TV. I do watch random things sometimes while blogging, but it’s usually just whatever my husband turns on (right now it’s some weird Netflix show about drug dealers). LOL!
Oooh this is FUN, thanks for tagging me! I feel you with the coffee headaches. I used to only drink coffee when someone died (weird, yes) but then I started working really early in the morning and here we are. I am also guilty of the tabs thing too- I have some kind of extension too but I almost never use it hah. Also you SHOULD be watching The 100!
Okay, I’m not sure about the coffee/death connection—maybe if you said you only drank alcohol when someone died? LOL!
My extension just works automatically. If I had to DO something to make it work, it wouldn’t happen.
oooh this sounds fun! I’ve always wanted a ferret! And I have so many friends who never finish their sentences. Sometimes I can’t understand what they meant hahaha. But I don’t ask them to repeat I just muddle through. I may be an expert at their language now! ❤️ Thanks for tagging me I’m going to try to do it.
See, you’re the type of friend I need. You could be an expert in my language. 🙂
Fun meme! I got hooked onto coffee in my early 30’s and can’t go a day without a morning cup now. And that’s cute about the birthday song 🙂
One of my weird quirks is that I tend to get a song stuck in my head and I will sing and hum it all throughout the day without realizing I am doing it. It especially drives my son crazy…lol. The last time the song was In the Arms of the Angel and he finally was like MOM please stop! because I was singing it without even realizing while we were in the car lol.
Enjoy your weekend!
Oh, I definitely sing all the time without realizing I’m doing it. Constantly. 🙂
What a great tag! I always love learning fun and quirky things about my fellow bloggers. 🙂
Yes, it’s fun to learn about people’s quirks. 🙂
I love your answers! I also sing made up songs and have crazy catch-phrases. I didn’t start drinking coffee until I was almost 30 and can’t go a day without a few cups now.
I love to-do lists, but can’t follow them. I’ve spent so much time creating them and buying pretty organizers, but never follow them.
I also start sentences and don’t finish them. The people that know me best have learned to recognize the hand gesture that shows I’m not going to finish the sentence, lol. I figure the start of the sentence should be enough for them to figure it out, lol.
My kids and I just had a really good laugh watching the “There’s a Cat Licking Your Birthday Cake” video! Thanks for sharing!
Also, thanks for sharing The Great Suspender. I always have tons of tabs open too 😉
Thanks so much for tagging me! This was a really fun tag!
[…] actually tag me to do these things… weird, but okay… and I found the perfect one over @Feed your Fiction Adiction (go check out her blog it has so many interesting posts and collaborations and shout […]