Author: Mary Weber
Publisher: Thomas Nelson/HarperCollins
Storm Siren is a beautifully written, emotionally complex new fantasy novel that will make you laugh and cry and sometimes want to throw your book across the room!
Nym has lived her life in fear – of herself. She holds power over the elements, but it’s a power she can’t control. Nym always eventually destroys those around her and, as far as she’s concerned, no amount of guilt or penance can make up for her sins. So, when she is forced to train as a weapon it goes against everything she’s ever believed. But her power may be the only thing that can save Faelen from its sinister neighbors – if Nym can keep from destroying everyone first!
- The worldbuilding. Weber created a richly imagined world filled with magic, dangerous creatures and even more dangerous people. The political upheaval in Nym’s world has spawned a century long war and Nym learns that there are dark forces at work. Weber successfully created a world with depth and complexity without making it confusing (or boring!) – that can be a tricky balance.
- Nym. Nym was an amazingly multifaceted character. She struggled because of guilt over the things that she had done while under the throes of her curse, but she still managed to face those around her with a measure of strength and even pride. At times she wavered between feeling that she was too good to be anyone’s slave and feeling that she was dangerous and not worth saving. Those conflicting emotions often drove her decisions in interesting ways. Nym hated who she was and what she had done, but in order to help her kingdom, she needed to embrace it. This was incredibly difficult for her.
- The romance. Ah, yes. The “handsome trainer” mentioned in the synopsis. Let me just say that he was all kinds of wonderful. I loved that the romance in this book was slow burning and didn’t overtake the rest of the plot – but it was still central to the book and definitely swoony!
- The ending. The action at the end of the book was incredible and there are some truly jaw-dropping moments. I can’t believe that I have to wait until who knows when to find out what happens next!! It just might kill me!
- Nym’s lack of faith. I can’t say much without giving things away, but there was a part of the book where I was a bit surprised Nym didn’t give a certain character more benefit of the doubt. To give her some credit, she HAD just found out something pretty devastating, though. Still, I kept thinking, “Come on, Nym, have a little faith!”
Aside from Goodreads, I hang out on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and my BLOG. Come say hi!
Officially though: Mary Weber is a ridiculously uncoordinated girl plotting to take over make-believe worlds through books, handstands, and imaginary throwing knives. In her spare time, she feeds unicorns, sings 80’s hairband songs to her three muggle children, and ogles her husband who looks strikingly like Wolverine. They live in California, which is perfect for stalking L.A. bands, Joss Whedon, and the ocean. She likes orange trees, tattoos, and ALL the music. ;0)
BOOK 1 in my YA fantasy STORM SIREN trilogy releases Aug 2014 from Thomas Nelson, HarperCollins. Eep!