Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
I’ve managed to recover somewhat from my election-induced bout of depression and I’m ready to get back to “regular” life (without putting my convictions to the side and going back to ignoring reality—at least I’m going to try hard not to).
The only thing really going on this week was that I’ve been working hard on my NaNoWriMo novel and it’s going exceptionally well. You can check out my NaNo posts to learn a bit more about it!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog the last two weeks:
- The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid – Review & Giveaway – Last chance to enter to win one of five copies of the book and swag.
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer: Audiobook Review
- Sunday Un-Post
- The Lost Codex by Heather Lyons: A Review of the Epic Finale
- One Snowy Night by Jill Shalvis: Review & Giveaway
- A NaNoWriMo Update
Also, this isn’t technically on my blog, but make sure you head over to the October Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway, which is being hosted over at Lisa Loves Literature!
Next week on FYFA:
- Scythe by Neal Shusterman – Review
- Some other reviews (I make no promises about which)
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂 (Probably. If I can manage it. With NaNoWriMo, my discussion posts might be limited this month.)
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
First of all, I need to say sorry to the people whose birthdays and blogoversaries that I missed this past week since I didn’t do a regular Sunday Post. I know I was feeling low, but that doesn’t mean my blogger friends shouldn’t have been celebrated. I hope you’ll still go wish them well—better late than never, right?
Check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
Last week’s events:
- November 17th – Tonyalee @ Lilybloombooks‘ Birthday
- November 18th – Bingeing On Books‘ Blogoversary
- November 19th – Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight‘s Birthday
- November 19th – Anatea @ Anatea’s Bookshelf‘s Birthday
This week’s events:
- November 22nd – Worth Reading It‘s Blogoversary
- November 26th – Heather @ Based on a True Story‘s Birthday
- November 26th – JC’s Book Haven‘s Blogoversary
I had never heard of The Thing with Feathers when I received it in the mail, but now that I’ve read the synopsis, I’m convinced this is a book I’ll love! And when I got an email asking if I wanted a review copy of The Cursed Queen (which is a companion to The Impostor Queen) I just about jumped up and down! Yes, please!!!
Thanks so much to Margaret K. McElderry Books and Blink!
I listened to the first two books in this series and really enjoyed the audiobook versions, so I decided to use an Audible credit for this one, even though I already have an ebook copy that I received for review.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some posts I especially loved this week:
- Becky @ A Fool’s Ingenuity imagines her perfect book shop
- Lola @ Lola’s Ramblings asks Is a 3 star a positive rating?
- Jeanene @ Got My Book talks about Why Sci-Fi Is Important
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight gives us hints on Bookish Self-Care
- Wendy @ Falconer’s Library talks more about the trials and tribulations of running a classroom library in Does Your Mother Know You’re Reading That? Part 2
- Ashley @ Nose Graze gives us some clarification about what’s happening with bloggers at BEA in her Book Expo America Followup
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- Bloodmoon by Aurora Whittet – Still time to enter to be one of five winners to get the Bloodmark Prize Package that contains 1 signed hardcover copy of Bloodmark, Bloodmark Saga Temporary Tattoos (set of 3) and a Bloodmark Saga bookmark
- A Recap of the YA Lit Conference & Fandom Frenzy – Still time to enter to win a signed paperback of Adam Silvera’s More Happy Than Not.
- November Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway – Link up your November discussions and enter to win!
- Pre-Order WINDWITCH by Susan Dennard to be eligible to receive a free pair of Windwitch-themed socks, patch and a signed bookplate!
- Pre-order CRYSTAL STORM by Morgan Rhodes and get a set of Falling Kingdoms buttons!
- Pre-order WAYFARER by Alexandra Bracken and receive a personalized holiday card from Bracken, as well as an 8×10 print.
- Preorder THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING by Jeff Giles to receive a keepsake metal bookmark!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Head over to Metaphors and Moonlight for a chance to win a signed paperback of Mad God Walking
- There are tons of prizes in this YA Reader Giveaway Blitz!
- It’s Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight’s Birthday and she’s celebrating with a big giveaway!!
- Rinn Reads is running a Sci-Fi Month event and there are a few giveaways going on: Any book on the TBD, Convergence by Michael Patrick Hicks, and a signed copy of New Pompeii by Daniel Godfrey
- Swoony Boys Podcast and Fiction Fare have teamed up for a big Happy Thanksgiving Hop and they’re each giving away ten books!
- Lots of blogs participating in the Super Stocking Stuffer Giveaway Hop!
- Shooting Stars Mag has a few new Harry Potter giveaways going on right now! You can enter to win Harry Potter soap, a Fantastic Beasts Prize Pack, and a Harry Potter Beanie.
- It’s My Thoughts Literally’s blogoversary and she’s celebrating with a giveaway!
- Head over to Star-Crossed Book Blog for a chance to win a Paperback Copy Of The Raven Boys + a Paperback Copy of The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater + a Signed Postcard (EUROPE only)
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
It’s nice that you mention your blogging friends blogiversary.
I am looking forward to your thoughts on Scythe. I am thrilled that Neal Shusterman is doing another series.
I thought it would be fun to have a place to celebrate other bloggers’ special days. I see that your blog does a lot of celebrating other bloggers too. We should be friends! 🙂
Consider it done. 🙂
The Thing with Feathers looks good! I need to read my copy of The Cursed Queen.
Have a great week!
My mom read The Cursed Queen right away since I was in the middle of Scythe. Can’t wait to read it!!
Does The Thing With Feathers get its title from an Emily Dickinson poem? It just sounds really familiar!
Hmmm … I’m not sure. It seems like the type of title that must be referring to something like that because it’s kind of … odd. If I find out, I’ll let you know!!
Congrats on the NaNoWriMo progress. I did the event in 2010, and went on to publish my book Interior Designs in 2014. Yes, I had more work to do after NaNo. But the event jumpstarted it all.
Enjoy your week, and I’m curious about The Thing with Feathers.
Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES
How encouraging that you started out with NaNo and eventually published! I definitely know I’ll have more work with this book, but I think it has potential!
Ooh nice new reads! Some new to me ones! Hope you enjoy them!!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Glad you are doing well with Nano!! Hope you enjoy your new books and have a great week!
I’m glad NaNo is going well! Good for you. Hope you have a nice and relaxing Thanksgiving this week.
Glad to hear thing are going well for you. Yay for surprise books that sound awesome! I hope you enjoy your new reads. I am looking forward to your thoughts on Scythe!
Yeah, it’s always fun to get a surprise in the mail. 🙂
I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better emotionally 🙂 And that’s awesome that your NaNo novel is going well! Getting a surprise book that you’d never heard of but that sounds good is also awesome lol.
And I actually do have my first giveaway going on on my blog right now until Dec 2! It’s been very nerve-wracking so far, haha. I’ll just link to with the commentluv.
I added your giveaway to the list, Kristen. Thanks for letting me know about it!
Writing, reviewing, blogging – it sounds like you are out of your post-election malaise (or as out of it as any of us will get). Hope your week continues to be fruitful. Emma
Yes, I had a good week of funk (though, strangely, even though I didn’t feel like I could read or even listen to audiobooks, I was still able to write). I’m glad it’s over because it wasn’t doing anyone any good!
I can’t wait to see what you think about The Cursed Queen! Especially since I bought the 1st book but I haven’t read it yet (I’m so bad at doing that lol!).