This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
We had a week off from our homeschool co-op this week, which SHOULD mean that I got lots of work on my book done, right? Well, somehow the week slipped away much more quickly than I expected it to. Still not sure where it all went. I’ve pretty much determined that the ONLY way I can get writing done is if I go to Starbucks. If I’m home, I end up doing… other stuff. Random other stuff. I did get a bit of writing done, and I also worked on my latest editing project. Should be done with that one this month.
On the 11th, NetGalley featured me on their blog for their YA Blogger Spotlight! If you haven’t already, I’d love it if you’d check it out!!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week:
- Otherworld by Jason Segel & Kirsten Miller: Review & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win the book!
- The Knowing by Sharon Cameron: 5-Star Review & Giveaway! – Still time to enter to win the book!
- The 16th Academy by Spencer Yacos: Review & Yacos’s Thoughts on YA Perfection
- Realistic Depiction of Mental Health in YA: Let’s Discuss – Read my thoughts on the topic and check out a book that’s celebrating its 3rd birthday!
Next week on FYFA:
- YA Brooding Hero by Carrie DiRisio: Review & Broody’s Top Ten Addictions
- Scion of the Fox by S.M. Beiko: Review and Giveaway
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Latest FYFA Giveaway Winners!!:
- Jessica @ a GREAT read won the September Book Blog Discussion Giveaway. She chose Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel. Congrats!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- October 18th – Michelle @ Book Briefs‘ Birthday
I actually bought these last week, but I forgot to mention them. My mom and I were going to go to the Colleen Hoover event at Anderson’s for her birthday because it’s been years since we’ve seen her, but then we realized it was literally just a signing line, and we weren’t all that excited anymore. So, instead we switched to the Adam Silvera/Lauren Oliver event (so glad we did—it was lots of fun!!). I still got the copy of Without Merit for my mom and I also bought copies of They Both Die at the End and Ringer (which I didn’t include in the picture since I’m using it as a giveaway—I already had the ARC, which I got signed and personalized. The Adam Silvera book is personalized as well).
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Mara @ Mara Was Here shares about Confusing Book Reviews that Don’t Match Their Ratings
- Mikaela @ The Well-Thumbed Reader talks about The Fine Line Between Plagiarism and Inspiration
- AJ @ Read All the Things asks Can We Please Not Make Assumptions?
I’m now putting these in order of release date to make it easier on myself (and you, I think). Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order SAM & EVA by Debbie Ridpath Ohi and get a one-of-a-kind hand-painted signed keepsake! (ends 10/15)
- Pre-order BROODING YA HERO by Carrie DiRisio to receive stickers, bookmarks and limited edition postcards. You can even get these pre-order prizes if you request that the book be purchased by your local library! (ends (10/15)
- Pre-order IT DEVOURS! by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor to receive a free audio download of chapter two, performed by the one and only Cecil Baldwin! (ends 10/16)
- Pre-order THE EMPRESS by S.J. Kincaid for a chance to win a signed Empress cover, author illustrated THE DIABOLIC and INSIGNIA trilogy, clock, USB hub, fun little magnets, bookmark, pin and quote cards! (ends 10/30)
- Pre-order RENEGADES by Marissa Meyer to receive your choice of a Renegades or Anarchist button pack! (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order ROSEMARKED by Livia Blackburne to receive a signed bookmark, bookplate, postcard with ROSEMARKED map, a PDF of bonus content emailed to you with a self edit letter Blackburne wrote to herself after the first draft, and an early deleted scene that shows how the book could have gone in a VERY different direction. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order RETRIBUTION RAILS by Erin Bowman to receive Kate & Jesse — an exclusive novella set after the events of Vengeance Road and only available via this pre-order campaign! You’ll also receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, stickers, a Vengeance Road laptop decal and two Vengeance Road quote cards. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE NOVEMBER GIRL by Lydia Kang to receive a swag bundle. Plus the first 150 pre-orders will receive a wish bracelet and buttons as well! (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE SPEAKER by Traci Chee (from a participating store) to receive a custom journal emblazoned with the Guard symbol and a quote, a signed bookplate, and three decals designed for each of the groups in THE SPEAKER. (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THIS MORTAL COIL by Emily Suvata to receive a signed bookmark, a numbered, signed, limited-print bookplate, 2 colorful DNA Origami sheets so you can fold your own DNA models, a letter with exclusive insights and secrets about the world of THIS MORTAL COIL, and a chance to win the grand prize pack! (ends 11/6)
- Pre-order THE REBELS OF GOLD by Elise Kova to get exclusive swag. The more pre-orders that are received, the more swag will be unlocked. (ends 12/4)
- Pre-order MEET CUTE by various authors, including Jennifer L. Armentrout, Dhonielle Clayton and Katie Cotugno, to receive a set of 6 pins based on the cover! (ends 1/1)
- Pre-order LOLA DUTCH IS A LITTLE BIT MUCH and receive a digital package that includes: Coloring Pages, Paper Puppets, Mini Guided Learning Activities with Lola and much more! (ends 1/29)
- ***Preorder REIGN THE EARTH by A.C. Gaughen to receive an exclusive map poster. (ends 1/29)
- ***Pre-order THE CASE FOR JAMIE by Brittany Cavallaro to receive a signed book and exclusive Charlotte Holmes swag. (ends 3/5)
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed with this week’s posts)
- September Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway (with a Make Me Read It Twist)
- Quick Recap of the Adam Silvera/Lauren Oliver Author Event (& a Giveaway!) – Still time to enter to win a signed copy of Ringer!
- October Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Head over to Rebel Mommy Book Blog for a chance to win Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
- Head over to Metaphors and Moonlight for a chance to win a Copy of BERSERKER by Emmy Laybourne
- It’s Darque Dreamer Reads’ Birthday and she’s celebrating with a big giveaway!
- Head over to We Live and Breathe Books for a chance to win A Short History of the Girl Next Door
- Penguin Random House is giving away some Wicked Reads and a Star Wars Prize Pack!
- Read It Forward is giving you the chance to win Krysten Ritter’s Debut Novel: Bonfire
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for a chance to win a finished copy of THE INNOCENCE TREATMENT
- It’s It Starts at Midnight’s four-year blogoversary!! Tell Shannon you love her and then enter her giveaway for (and I quote) “Whatever the Hell You Want (INT)“! (See why I love her so?)
- Also head over to It Starts at Midnight for the Shattering Stigmas giveaway, where Six Winners Will Receive a Mental Health Book of Choice (INT)
- Lots of blogs participating in the Stuck in a Good Book Giveaway Hop!
- YA & Wine has a few giveaways going on (check her site for even more). Enter to win a hardcover copy of Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor and a hardcover copy of Things I’m Seeing Without You by Peter Bognanni.
- Penguin is giving you the chance to surprise your book club with free books for a year!
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag for a chance to win a special Hunting Prince Dracula Prize Pack
- Underlined is doing a Fall Fantasy Sweepstakes!
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag for a chance to win a signed 3 book OH SUSANNAH prize pack and a set of 48 colored artist pencils.
- Check out the Fall Into Books $250 Giveaway
- The Bookkeeper’s Secrets is doing a year-long giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I really want to read They Both Die at the End. It sounds so good. I hope you enjoy it.
Hope you get to read it!
So annoying when you have the time to be productive and it just doesn’t happen. That was me yesterday. Had almost the whole day to myself and… yeah. not so much. 🙂 Loved the interview on NetGalley, Nicole! And I liked the mentions for JLA and Buxbaum. I really enjoy both of those authors.
Hoping tomorrow will be a lot more productive!
Wonderful NetGally review and congratulations on the recognition! I’ve been lurking for a-while but always enjoy your reviews and features (especially your “about blogging” articles as I was getting started). Happy reading and hope you have a great week ahead! 🙂
Aw, thanks! It’s nice to hear from a lurker—we all know they’re there, but it’s nice to have real evidence. 🙂
Thanks so much for the shoutout! I really love that you are spreading so much love and positivity by shouting out to fellow bloggers! <3
I try my best to spread the word about as many things as I can!
You are awesome! <3
Isn’t it funny how we’re more productive when we are out of the house in a public setting? It’s so much easier to tune out and focus. I get so distracted at home.
Between the kids and the dog (and sometimes even my mom and husband) there are just too many distractions at home!
congrats on your Netgalley feature. How exciting. And I know what you mean about time. It seems when I have some to spare I don’t use it the way I want. LOL Nice new reads this week and great authors.
I just can’t manage to get everything done lately. It feels impossible to keep up!
OOh nice new reads! That’s a bummer about the Colleen Hoover signing. That tends to be disappointing when that happens, though I know I drove all that way up there once just to meet Felicia Day for a quick signing and picture. But it was Felicia Day so I wasn’t that upset about not getting to hear her talk! At least I got to say hey! Lol!
Nice new reads too! Hope you enjoy them if you haven’t already read them!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Yeah, if there hadn’t been another option, I might have still gone to the Colleen Hoover event, but since I could see Adam Silvera, I decided that won out.
I like the idea of you writing that book in a starbucks. Lol! Sorry to hear you can’t get much done at home, but I totally get it. I sat down to write a review 3 hours ago and I am still catching up on comments. It doesn’t exactly help that most of the bloggers I comment on include these cool links that have me hoping all over the net and reading awesome new articles. Hopefully I get something done tonight.
Congratulations again on NetGalley. Have a great week!
Well, I’m just now getting to replying and I had over 100 unreplied comments! Um, Yikes!! Sometimes it feels impossible to do it all.
DUDE, that Netgalley post is FABULOUS, congrats! I am so happy for you! Also, I think that Starbucks is a great idea for working. People you know and interact with are simply too distracting 😉 My problem is, I’d spend $100 a day on caffeine and be too wired to type hahha.
Thank you SO much for all the love for my posts and event, too! You are just the sweetest! Colleen Hoover was once coming HERE (and no one comes here), but it was a similar thing, and I had no one to watch the kids, so I skipped it too. You definitely must let us know how the book is though!
I read a spoiler for Without Merit on Twitter and now I’m a little nervous to read it. We shall see.
Brooding YA hero sounds fun! And yay for getting writing done! Congrats on the Netgalley feature- off to check that out next. Have a super week! 🙂
Brooding YA Hero was great fun! I highly recommend it!
So strange that people are productive in the hustle and bustle of a coffee shop! I can barely even read in those environments. Too many people, too much noise. Gives me a headache…
NetGallet featured you! Wow, that is so cool. I’m jealous, but also very proud 😀 I’ll definitely go read it.
I’m much more effective in a coffee shop than at home. Here, there’s always something fighting for my attention.
I really need to find a way/time to get to Starbucks or something so that I can get more of my own personal writing in. I really want to get back into the book I started, but working at home means I tend to just do blog stuff or everything other than my own writing. I hope you find the time to get more of your own writing done too! 🙂
Yes, for some reason being home makes it nearly impossible for me to get any writing done. So frustrating!
I have the same experience with working at home. Are you doing NaNoWriMo this month?
And congrats about the spotlight, that looks awesome!
I don’t think I’m going to manage to do NaNo this year. I’m going to focus on editing my last book in November.
So you are one of those people with a Starbuck’s office =) You’re a mom, so your house is the LAST place you can get anything done. Glad to hear you are making progress. Thank you for listing my giveaway. I really did love the book, and want to share the pain.
Starbucks is the best office!
They Both Die At The End is such a brilliant read Nicole, really looking forward to seeing what you think of that one. Congratulations on your Netgalley feature! I seen you on there the other day and really enjoyed your interview, such a wonderful blogger moment. I’m the same way, find time to do a little blogging or be productive and I end up on eBay or spending the afternoon watching puppy videos on Youtube. Have a wonderful week of reading Nicole and thanks for sharing <3
Thanks for visiting me after the NetGalley feature. I was really excited that they chose me!
Sorry that’s all the Colleen Hoover event was. At the library in my town they did a little question and answer time with her. It was neat. Have a great week!
I went to another of her events years ago for Maybe Someday, and I really enjoyed that one.
Well I’m glad you some writing done, even if it wasn’t as much as you wanted. I saw your NG interview! That’s awesome that you were featured 🙂 Have a great week!
I never seem to get as much done as I want. Fact of life.
Thanks so much for linking back to my blog post; I appreciate it so much! ? And I saw that Netgalley interview; that was so awesome! Congratulations on that! ❤️
**nods** Yup, sometimes weeks where you have time off and you think you are going to get lots done just slip away!
Congrats on being featured on NetGalley! That’s awesome. I’ve checked out your Interview and left a comment 😉
Hope you’ve had a great week this week and thanks so much for stopping by my blog! It was also great to see you on the Twitter appreciation thread and I’m glad we’ve got around to each other’s blogs!
Thanks so much for checking out the NetGalley interview!
I ♥ed the Netgalley post! That was so neat! And that’s wonderful that you had a week off from your kiddos school, but here’s hoping you can make it to Starbucks to write. 😉 We have this next week off from school and we’re going to warmer weather, yay! Here’s wishing you a wonderful rest of your week!
I was really excited that NetGalley featured me!
So cool that you were featured on the Netgalley blog! And sometimes I also have to leave the house to get work done. The allure of cleaning or doing other house related things always tears me away from writing. 🙂
As crazy as it sounds to say that household chores have any sort of allure, somehow they often seem to make me avoid writing!