The past two weeks on FYFA (and in my life):
Today is my son’s 15th birthday! It’s hard to believe that my little tiny boy has grown up so much—I think I’m still in denial.
In case you didn’t notice, I didn’t post a Sunday Post last week because I was at ALA. I considered trying to schedule something, but I just decided to take a week off instead.
A kind of crazy thing happened this week: I bid on an auction for Authors for Grenfell Tower (they raised almost $200,000 to go toward the Red Cross for the tragedy) and I WON! But the really crazy thing is what I won. I won an edit done by Naomi Colthurst, who is an editor at Penguin Random House Childrens. Some of you might remember that I wrote a Middle Grade novel for NaNoWriMo last November—well, I did some editing on it in April, and I was surprised to find that it felt like a real book to me. I know that sounds like a ridiculous thing to say, but I honestly wasn’t sure if I was going to read through it and decide it was just a plain mess. On a whim, I bid on this auction because it felt like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. When I won, I scrambled to do some more editing—honestly, there are still some changes I wish I could have made if I’d had the time, but since this was a one-time thing, I just went for it. I’m both terrified and excited to get her feedback!! Who knows? Maybe someday my dream of being a published author could be a real thing.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog over the last two weeks:
- Top Ten Series I Haven’t Started (But Totally Plan To)
- The Disorganized Blogger’s Guide to Book Conferences (AKA an Example You Should NOT Follow)
- June 2017 Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up – Link up your June wrap-up posts here!
- ALA Annual Event Recap (& Giveaway!) – Still time to enter to win a signed copy of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart!
- Series Review: The Winner’s Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski
- July Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- June Wrap-Up & Best of the Bunch
Next week on FYFA:
- Coming Up for Air by Miranda Kenneally: Review
- Bite-Sized Reviews of some other books (probably The Upside of Unrequited, The Unlikelies and Dead Ed in My Head)
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Latest FYFA Giveaway Winners!!:
- Alyssa from Book Huntress’ World won the May Discussion Challenge giveaway, and she chose Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.
- Danielle H won the latest Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up giveaway, and she chose The Secret of a Heart Note by Stacey Lee.
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
SO SORRY TO BE LATE WITH THIS FIRST ONE SINCE I DIDN’T POST LAST WEEK! MAKE SURE TO HEAD OVER THERE (Wendy even has a giveaway going!)
- June 28th – Falconer’s Library‘s Blogoversary
- July 2nd – Alice @ Arctic Books‘ Birthday
- July 3rd – Princessica of Books‘ Blogoversary
- July 8th – Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books‘ Birthday
If you’d like to see all the books I got at ALA, check out my recap!
I know I just got a million books at ALA, but they were out of Adam Silvera’s newest (They Both Die at the End) by the time I asked, so I just had to download it from Edelweiss. And then I saw that Fireblood by Elly Blake was on NetGalley and I really want to read this series (for some reason I still haven’t read the first book, though I have it), so I decided to get that one too. I know, I’m crazy.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- The Huffington Post has this entry called I’m A Teenager And I Don’t Like Young Adult Novels. Here’s Why. (I thought it was interesting and not overly negative.)
- John Green has a new book coming out!
- I’m late to the game with this news, but Alison over at Alison’s Wonderland Recipes is making a cookbook! (I can’t wait—her recipes are bookishly adorable!)
- Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight talks about Consistency in Titles
I’m now putting these in order of release date to make it easier on myself (and you, I think). Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
- ***Pre-order PAPER HEARTS by Ali Novak and receive a signed bookmark and get the chance to win autographed books and a Kindle! (ends 7/3)
- ***Pre-order WHO’S THAT GIRL by Blair Thornburgh and receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark and a postcard. (ends 7/10)
- Pre-order BECAUSE YOU LOVE TO HATE ME edited by Ameriie (with stories by authors like Marissa Meyer, Victoria Schwaab and more!) and receive an exclusive notebook and pencil set and a bookplate signed by Ameriie. (ends 7/10)
- Pre-order SECRETS OF THE TULIP SISTERS by Susan Mallery and receive a free PDF of chapter 1 with notes from the author! (ends 7/10)
- Pre-order THE DRAGONS OF NOVA by Elise Kova and receive swag. The more pre-orders, the more swag will be unlocked! (ends 7/10)
- Pre-order WASTE OF SPACE by Gina Damico and receive a bookmark, a magnet, and a 4″x6″ print of Damico’s original hand-drawn sketch of the spaceship’s schematics. (ends 7/11)
- ***Pre-order PRAYING FOR GIRLS by Teri Lynne Underwood and receive a free printable. (ends 7/12)
- Pre-order THE LAST MAGICIAN by Lisa Maxwell and receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, and a temporary tattoo. (ends 7/17)
- ***Pre-order IN 27 DAYS by Alison Gervais and receive a bonus chapter! (ends 7/24)
- Pre-order CRYSTAL BLADE by Kathryn Purdie and receive a high-quality map print, a bookmark, an autographed and personalized bookplate, and a download link for the song Purdie wrote and recorded for Burning Glass. (ends 8/15)
- Pre-order WARCROSS by Marie Lu and receive “Life After Legend” an exclusive short story set after the events of the Legend Series (ends 9/11)
- ***Pre-order TOWER OF DAWN by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive pouch! (ends 9/4)
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed with this week’s posts)
- June Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway – Last chance to link up your June discussion posts and enter to win!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Wendy over at Falconer’s Library is celebrating her second blogoversary with a giveaway!
- I don’t usually mention free books here, but I LOVED this (adult) zombie series and the first book is free!! Get Broken World free today!
- Shelf Awareness is giving away 10 copies of If There’s No Tomorrow by Jennifer Armentrout!
- Head over to Tales of the Ravenous Reader for a chance to win one of 5 Copies of Midnight Jewel by Richelle Mead!
- Read It Forward is giving you the chance to win a $500 gift card for your local library
- Head over to With Love for Books for a Ravenclaw Hardcover, Notebook & Necklace giveaway
- Megan over @ Book Birds is celebrating her 1st blogoversary and she’s giving you a chance to win a book from TBD to celebrate! (INT)
- The Bookkeeper’s Secrets is doing a year-long giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!