This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
We had a relaxing Thanksgiving break. Maybe a little too relaxing since we then forgot about my daughter’s gymnastics practice on Saturday. Oops! I did get a bit of writing done, too. I promised myself I’d finish this first draft in November during NaNo—not sure if I can do it, but I’m hoping!
I’ve started compiling my list of 2019 Reading/Blogging Challenges. If you see sign-ups go up for any, please tweet them to me or put a link in the comments for me. I’d really appreciate it! (Same goes for pre-order incentives—send them my way if you ever see them.)
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- The Camelot Code: The Once and Future Geek by Mari Mancusi – Review & Giveaway
- Bite-Sized Reviews of The Lying Woods, What If It’s Us, Between Shades of Gray and The Hotel Between
- Fun with SPAM! #5
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- November 26th – Heather @ Based on a True Story‘s Birthday
- November 27th – Bregje @ B a Reader‘s Birthday
- November 29th – Drizzle & Hurricane Books‘ Blogoversary
Blink sent me Pretty in Punxsutawney, which is described as a mashup of Groundhog Day and Pretty in Pink. Um, yes please!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Sophie @ Beware of the Reader gives us Bookstagram 101 part 2. Props, furry friends, light and co.
- Pamela Nicole @ Reverie Society tells us Why We Need Makeup Positive YA Literature Too
- Gayathri @ Elgee Writes talks about Plot holes: Watch out for these inconsistencies!
- Carrie @ Cat on the Bookshelf tells us What She Learned from the #FinnFury October Instagram Challenge
- Elley the Book Otter talks about What to do with old ARCs
- Lloyd @ The Book Sage gives us a list of Fiction for the Non-Fiction Reader
- AJ @ Read All the Things tells us She’d Love To Read About: Ancient Bad Decisions
- Amber @ The Literary Phoenix shares Psychiatric Hospitals Really Aren’t Torture Chambers: A Smol Rant
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order FIRE & HEIST by Sarah Beth Durst to receive an awesome dragon pin and a bookmark! (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order REALM OF RUINS by Hannah West to receive a signed bookplate and a bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order DARK AGE by Pierce Brown to receive a free holiday card directly from Pierce, featuring never-before-seen character art! (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order ALL THE WANDERING LIGHT by Heather Fawcett to receive an exclusive world map, a signed bookplate, a bookmark and two stickers. (INTL)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS by Cassandra Clare to receive a deluxe Shadowhunter fairytale retelling booklet. Featuring 35 pages of exclusive art and a note from Cassandra Clare. (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order a paperback copy of EVERLESS by Sara Holland to receive a special additional character card for either Ina or Roan. (INT)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order ONCE A KING by Erin Summerill to receive a 5×7 limited edition map and art print, a signed bookplate, and a quote bookmark. (ends 12/3)
- ***Pre-order THIS LIE WILL KILL YOU by Chelsea Pitcher to receive a signed sticker featuring the book’s cover. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US/UK only)(ends 12/10)
- ***Pre-order DECREE by Tricia Mingerink to receive 2 character cards. (INT)(ends 12/17)
- Pre-order THE DISASTERS by M.K. England (or request for your library to purchase it) to receive a bookmark, a rainbow rocketship sticker, a signed bookplate, a postcard and an emailed PDF with a printable DISASTERS-themed card. Plus the chance to win one of 75 enamel pins and even more! (INT)(ends 12/17)
- Pre-order THE CURSED SEA by Lauren DeStefano to receive WITHER bookmark goodies and mystery swag! (INT)(ends 12/17)
- Pre-order EVERMORE by Sara Holland to receive 1 of 3 Exclusive Character Cards, a signed bookplate, and access to an exclusive online interview with Sara Holland (filled with spoilers and juicy details!). Plus, you’ll be entered to win more. (INT)(ends 12/30)
- Pre-order FIRESTARTER by Tara Sim (or request for your library to purchase it) to receive an exclusive poster of Danny and Colton by artist TJ Ryan. (INT)(ends 12/31)
- Pre-order THE GILDED WOLVES by Roshani Chokshi to receive a pack of character tarot cards designed by Yoshi Yoshitani. (US/CAN only)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE WICKED KING by Holly Black to receive an enamel pin and bookmark. (US only)(ends 1/7)
- Pre-order THE WINTER OF THE WITCH by Katherine Arden to receive a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 1/7)
- Pre-order EVEN IF I FALL by Abigail Johnson to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, a cloud charm necklace with quote card and a digital copy of the original flash fiction piece that inspired the book. (INTL)(ends 1/7)
- ***Pre-order ANALIESE RISING by Brenda Drake to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, sticker, and a couple’s Red String of Fate bracelet set. (ends 1/9)
- ***Pre-order CRISIS DESSERTED by Katherine Laurin to receive a signed bookmark and sticker. (ends 12/31)
- Pre-order THE BLOOD SPELL by C.J. Redwine from Parnassus Books to receive a signed and personalized copy and a free gift. (ends 1/10)
- Pre-order STAIN by A.G. Howard to receive the “Alice the Absent” short story, a rose enamel pin, and a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order OUR YEAR OF MAYBE by Rachel Lynn Solomon to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, vinyl sticker, and adorable dandelion enamel pin! (INT)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order SONG OF THE DEAD by Sarah Glenn Marsh to receive a signed bookmark, an 11×17 beautiful map of the world of the Reign of the Fallen series (art by Jessica Khoury), and four new character cards including everyone’s favorite bear, Lysander! (art by Jo Painter) (INTL)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order THE BIRDS, THE BEES, AND YOU AND ME by Olivia Hinebaugh to receive an enamel pin. (US Only)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order THE KINGDOM OF COPPER by S.A. Chakraborty to receive a short story that takes place between this and the first book in the series. (INT)(ends 1/21)
- ***Pre-order CIRCLE OF SHADOWS by Evelyn Skye to receive a set of Limited Edition character art and a chance to win a $1,000 VISA gift card! (US only)(ends 1/21)
- ***Pre-order THE LOVE AND LIES OF RUKHSANA ALI by Sabina Khan to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and two postcards. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize giveaway! Request your library order it to receive a bookmark and postcard. (INT)(ends 1/28)
- Pre-order A CURSE SO DARK AND LONELY by Brigid Kemmerer to receive exclusive bonus content and the chance to win a Cozy Winter Reading Box! (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and India)(ends 1/28)
- Pre-order KING OF SCARS by Leigh Bardugo to receive an enamel pin! (US only)(ends 1/28)
- ***Pre-order VORTEX VISIONS by Elise Kova to receive a signed postcard, and you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 2/4)
- Pre-order CRAB CAKE by Andrea Tsurumi (from Indiebound or B&N) to receive a signed print of sea lion, a signed bookplate, a sticker, and the chance for a signed original drawing of Moray Eel. (ends 2/4)
- Pre-order THE WEIGHT OF OUR SKY by Hanna Alkaf to receive a bookmark and enamel pin. (Malaysia only, but deals coming for other countries next month)(ends 2/4)
- Pre-order COURTING DARKNESS by Robin LeFevers to receive a notebook, enamel pin, bookmark, temporary tattoo, and stickers. (US only)(ends 2/5)
- Pre-order THE PRIORY OF THE ORANGE TREE by Samantha Shannon to receive an exclusive signed poster. (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 2/25)
- Pre-order A QUESTION OF HOLMES by a signed, personalized copy, plus an exclusive illustrated print. (INT)(ends 3/5)
- ***Pre-order TO BEST THE BOYS by Mary Weber to receive an email download including a labyrinth maze, a playlist, bookish Rhen Paper Doll, and a new STORM SIREN NOVELLA ebook. (INT)(ends 3/18)
- Pre-order DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE by Joan He to receive 3 swag items (they won’t be all paper-made–actual items TBD closer to release date). (INT)(ends 4/1)
- ***Pre-order THE GIRL HE USED TO KNOW by Tracey Garvis Graves to receive a signed bookplate. (US/CAN only)(ends 4/1)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @joanhewrites is giving away three YA books involving birds (including her own—Descendant of the Crane)
- @Nafizaa is giving away your choice of one of nine books
- @mybookishsecret is giving away any 2019 release.
- @BookNerdAddict is giving away any pre-order
- @bbookrambles is giving away any pre-order
- @dulivre is giving away four different stacks of books!
- @starcrossedblog is giving away a paperback of Caught Up in a Cowboy by @JennieMarts
- @JennieLy is giving away a 2018 release of your choice.
- @edwardanddamon is giving away one of her most anticipated books for the month of November.
- On my blog, you’ll find giveaways of THE CAMELOT CODE: THE ONCE AND FUTURE GEEK, and Amber & Dusk by Lyra Selene. Plus you can enter the giveaway for the October Wrap-Up Round-Up and the November Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway.
- Books of My Heart is celebrating their anniversary with three different giveaways!
- Head over to Literary Meanderings for a chance to win a signed copy of Love, Music, Madness and a $25 iTunes gift card
- Lots of blogs participating in the Black Friday Book Bonanza Giveaway!
- Head over to Do You Dog-Ear? for a chance to win a finished copy of WUNDERSMITH: THE CALLING OF MORRIGAN CROW
- Head over to Books of My Heart to win a Print copy of Lipstick Voodoo
- For Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight’s birthday, she’s giving you a book of choice (INT), and letting YOU pick a book for her to gift herself!
- Head over to Colleen Houck’s website for a chance to win A Digital Download of Tiger’s Dream
- WIN A FLIGHT TO ANYWHERE in the #LetterToMyHero #Sweepstakes
- Head over to Here’s to Happy Endings for a chance to win YOUR OWN WORST ENEMY, INKLING and more. (She has a LOT of giveaways over there!)
- Dani @ Perspective of a Writer is celebrating her I Heart Characters meme with a giveaway of a Book Depository Book up to $10
- Lots of blogs participating in the November Of Books Giveaway Hop
- Tressa @ Wishful Endings is giving away 1 Book from her Fall to Winter TBR on Amazon (INT)
- XPresso Book Tours is hosting their Fall in Love With Books Giveaway, with a $100 Amazon Gift Card up for grabs.
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight is celebrating her 5th blogoversary with a giveaway
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Golden Child by Claire Adam
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I’m glad you had a relaxing Thanksgiving! Thanks for giving my bad decisions post a shout out. I like writing those. Have a great week!
Those bad decisions posts are awesome!
Good luck with the writing! And glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. I need more of these long, relaxing weekends haha!
Thanks for the links, and hope you have a nice week ahead. 🙂
I am so behind on my NaNo, and feeling a bit unmotivated to write every chance I get. Oh well. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Good luck with your writing this last week!
I didn’t even try for NaNo this time because I knew I couldn’t keep up. I’m hoping the new year gives me new motivation. 🙂
Whoops! Blame the turkey! Lol. Hope you had a great holiday and good luck on getting where you want to be in your writing project by the end of November!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Can I blame the turkey for the fact that I’m so far behind on replying to comments too? I think I now just want to blame turkeys for everything. That works out well for me. 🙂
I am actually surprised they had gym practice over the holiday weekend. But hey, I’m sure you will make it next week. Whoo hoo! Time to pick the 2019 reading challenges. I am really going to try and do something interesting next year.
Dude, if her gymnastics team is anything like my swim team was, holidays just mean double practices! (I now look back and am like… how did I survive? Hhahah)
They have practices over Christmas break too, but it’s not too bad.
They even have gymnastics over Christmas break, which I was surprised about. Guess there are no breaks in high school sports. 🙂
It’s so nice to have time off. We all need a break to de-stress and spend time together. Oh well on gymnastics. What can you do? Lol! Good luck on your writing! 🙂
Yes, some time off is appreciated!
I’m getting along fine with NaNo, but I don’t know if I’ll get to 50,000 words by the end of the month. I’m only at 7,000 words so so far. But, good luck with your writing!
Even if you didn’t make your NaNo goal, at least you got some extra writing in!
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for sharing all the pre-order incentives! I never know where to find out about these. Good luck with the rest of NaNo! Have a great week 😀
I put them in my Sunday Post every week. Happy to share!! 🙂
Glad you had a relaxing Thanksgiving. I’m hoping to relax this week. Thank you for posting any 2019 Challenges, I’m hoping to participate in a couple. Have a lovely week.
Plenty of 2019 challenges to choose from! I’ve actually added A LOT to this list in recent weeks, so you might want to check it out again.
I’m happy you had a nice Thanksgiving break, mine was hectic and I can no longer tell the days apart. Haha.
Good luck with Nano! It’s crazy to think that we’ve only got a few days of November left.
Well, that’s how my whole month of December has been, so I can relate!
This was such a relaxing week! Glad it was so for you! I hope you are able reach your goals too Nicole, it feels like the month is over but we actually have most of a week still (thank goodness). ♥️ Happy writing.
And this month shot by for me. Now December is almost over too!
Sounds like a nice relaxing time, and if you forgot your daughter’s practice, then you must have had fun. 😉
Good luck with your writing! I wouldn’t worry if you don’t finish the first draft by the end of the month, as long as you’re on your way to a finish line.
I finally got that draft done a week or two ago. Now I’m ready to move on to my next project. 🙂
Thanks for sharing all the goodies.
You’re very welcome!
I’m really glad the majority of our plans were delayed or canceled this past weekend because I had no idea what day it was most of the time! Lol. All the days kinda blended together.
This week is even worse. Time is so nebulous during breaks!
I’m glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, Nicole. We spent ours in Texas with my parents. A quick trip but a nice one. 🙂 Good luck with your NaNo goal. I’m not hitting mine but I’m still working at it. 😉
I didn’t manage to finish my WIP in November, but I did get it done in December, so I’m still calling that success.
Good luck with your writing goal! I’m glad you hear you had a relaxing Thanksgiving. We did as well and it was wonderful. 🙂
Great to hear you had a relaxing Thanksgiving weekend – and good luck with your writing goal. A happy week to you!
I’m glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Thanks for the links, especially to the one on taking photos for Instagram. Best of luck with NaNo; I decided not to try it this year, but maybe next summer for NaNo camp.
That Instagram post was great!
Oh, too funny that you missed the practice! I hope your daughter’s gymnastics coach is more… ummm, understanding than my swim coach was- she’d have beheaded you both ? And hey, even if you don’t finish the whole thing by the end of the month, at least you made a ton of progress which is AWESOME! You got this!
Luckily she wasn’t too upset about it. It probably helps that Danielle isn’t on the varsity team—I think they’re a little more intense about the super competitive girls. 🙂
Hah! We forgot our son’s jui-jitsu class on Saturday! I remembered the next day and had to smack my hand to my forehead. I can’t believe we missed it! I guess we were still overly stuffed from Thanksgiving and the leftovers.
Good luck with your writing! I hope you’re able to finish your draft, but any additional words are an accomplishment!
Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?
It’s hard to keep track of schedules over breaks!
Glad you had such a relaxing Thanksgiving! So relaxed you missed a practice! LOL AJ’s post on the ancient bad decisions was hilarious. She is always so creative.
I love AJ’s posts about the things she’d love to read about!
Glad to hear you had a relaxing holiday! Funny you mentioned you daughter practice. We forgot to let my son’s coach he was missing a game! we had put it in the team calendar but we like to call him as well. I will keep an eye on sign-ups for Reading/Blogging Challenges for you! 🙂
Oops! Glad I’m not the only one who does this during breaks. 🙂
I’m glad you had a relaxing Thanksgiving. Everyone needs some time off. I’m surprised they had the gymnastics. Good luck with finishing the writing you want to do.
Anne – Books of My Heart
I agree. A little time off does us all good. 🙂
I’m so happy you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. And that’s okay….I always feel like people are out of town that weekend so events can be skipped anyways. 😉 We’re always busy with family, eating leftovers, decorating our house and Christmas shopping so we cancelled swim lessons that weekend.
Yeah, she did end up going, but she was very late. Oh well.