This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
Hope those of you in the US had a wonderful 4th of July! We spent a low-key day at home. My husband smoked us some chicken and a brisket. Yum!
We celebrated my oldest’s 17th birthday. Hard to believe!!
We’ve also been hard at work designing our new deck and back yard. Some of you might remember that we removed our pool last fall; well, when we did that, we lost more than half our deck (plus, the part that remains is in shabby condition), and we now have a big, blank back yard. We’re planning on resurfacing the part of the deck that remains ourselves with Trex and then we’re having landscapers do a patio area with outcroppings for us. The planning is all starting to come together, and it’s really exciting!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- July Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- June 2019 Wrap-Up & Best of the Bunch
- Why Don’t Illustrators (and Cover Artists) Get More Attention? Let’s Discuss.
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- July 7th – Erica Robyn @ Erica Robyn Reads‘ Birthday
- July 7th – Hope, Faith & Books‘ Blogoversary
- July 8th – Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books‘ Birthday
- July 9th – Metaphors and Moonlight‘s Blogoversary
- July 12th – Jovita @ Inky Impressions‘ Birthday
- July 13th – Genesis @ Whispering Chapters‘ Birthday
I received these adorable Amelia Fang books from Random House Kids (Delacorte Press). These are heavily illustrated (by the author—Laura Ellen Anderson) and marketed toward reluctant MG readers—something I always like to see since I have a MG son who reads below grade level and is always looking for books that appeal to him but aren’t too difficult.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Apparently I didn’t do much blog hopping this week! Yikes!
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order KEEN by Laura L. Zimmerman to receive TWO drink recipes, a bookmark & a graphic with the words to “Caoine’s Song,” a special feature added to the back of the book! (ends 7/8)
- Pre-order SEA WITCH RISING by Sarah Henning to receive a signed bookplate and Sea Witch Rising/Throw Like a Girl postcard. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order PAST PERFECT LIFE by Elizabeth Eulberg to receive a signed bookplate and bookmark. (US & CAN)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order THE LAST WORD by Samantha Hastings OR request it at your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker, and a vintage-style handkerchief. (INT)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order ME, MYSELF, AND HIM by Chris Tebbetts to be entered to win a t-shirt (one will be given away for every 10 pre-orders) and a grand prize. Also, for every pre-order $1 will be donated to Pride Center of Vermont. (US only)(ends 7/8)
- Pre-order THE TRAITOR’S KINGDOM by Erin Beaty to receive bookmarks and signed bookplates for all three books in the series. (INT)(ends 7/9)
- Pre-order STEALING HOME by Becky Wallace OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, postcard, and baseball charm wish bracelet. The first thirty pre-orders get a navy blue wrap bracelet! (US/CAN)(ends 7/9)
- Pre-order THIS IS HOW YOU LOSE THE TIME WAR by Amal El-Mohtar to receive an enamel pin and a postcard from the side (obviously the winning side) of your choice! If you’re one of the first 25 to write in, you’ll also get an extra copy of the book signed by both Max and me, along with a hand-written note! (US & CAN)(ends 7/15)
- Pre-order PUMPKINHEADS by Rainbow Rowell to receive an original art print designed by illustrator Faith Erin Hicks and signed by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks. Plus, you’ll be entered to win a trip to the PUMPKINHEADS launch event on 8/27 for both you and a guest! (US/CAN)(ends 7/15)
- ***Pre-order SOUL OF STARS by Ashley Poston OR request it from your local library to receive a digital poster and phone and desktop wallpaper! (ends 7/22)
- Pre-order SPIN THE DAWN by Elizabeth Lim to receive exclusive art, an official bookmark and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order any of the DIARY OF AN ICE PRINCESS books by Christina Soontornvat or request them from your local library to receive a bookmark (with fun science activity instructions!) and a sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a custom digital black-and-white portrait by the book’s illustrator, Barbara Szepesi Szucs and a pack of six early middle grade and chapter books! (INT)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order FINDING ME by Kelly Gunderman to receive a signed bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order THAT’S WHAT FRENEMIES ARE FOR by Sophie Littlefield and Lauren Gershell to receive a signed bookplate and a curated workout playlist from the authors! (US only)(ends 7/29)
- Pre-order THE WITCHSTONE AMULET by Mason Thomas OR request it from your local library to be entered to win a custom tote bag filled with a signed copy of the book and other swag. (ends 8/1)
- Pre-order THE MIRACULOUS by Jess Redman OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a sticker, and one of three art cards featuring the cover art. Plus, you’ll be entered to win even more! (INT)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order TINY BUT MIGHTY: Kitten Lady’s Guide to Saving the Most Vulnerable Felines by Hannah Shaw to receive an enamel pin featuring the cover kitten. (US only)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN by Katy Upperman OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark, a vinyl watercolor poppy sticker, and an exclusive bookplate (personalized and signed). If you’re in the US, you’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/5)
- Pre-order WILDER GIRLS by Rory Power, SPIN THE DAWN by Elizabeth Lim, or HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS by Erin A. Craig to receive an Underlined pillowcase. (US only)(ends 8/6)
- Pre-order THE DOWNSTAIRS GIRL by Stacy Lee OR request it from your local library to receive a sturdy door hanger, which also makes an excellent bookmark (US & INT) and a butterfly knot (hand tied by the author), which is long enough to use as a bookmark (US purchases only). (INT)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order MIDNIGHT BEAUTIES by Megan Shepherd to receive a specialized leather bookmark, a cute sticker, a signed bookplate and an exclusive art print from Melanie Bourgeois. If you pre-order by 6/14, you’ll also get access to an exclusive eNovella about Cricket, “Tricks and Whispers”! (US & CAN)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order THINGS YOU SAVE IN A FIRE by Katherine Center from Blue Willow Bookshop to receive a signed/personalized copy, a bookmark, and special SWAG. (ends 8/12)
- Pre-order THE BUTTERFLY RECLUSE by Therese Heckenkamp to receive an autographed bookmark, fridge magnet, butterfly charm, and sticker. (US only)(ends 8/12)
- Pre-order SUPERNOVA by Marissa Meyer to have your name printed in the paperback of Archenemies! Those who submit their receipt now will also receive an exclusive Universe of Marissa Meyer promo item, reveal to come! (US only)(ends 8/13)
- Pre-order ZIGGY, STARDUST & ME by James Brandon OR request it from your local library to receive an official bookmark and cover sticker. Pre-orders will also receive a “Gay is Good” vintage remake button, & a signed bookplate (hardcovers only). Plus, a $1 donation will be made to BAAITS. (INT)(ends 8/15)
- Pre-order BEST FRIENDS by Shannon Hale and illustrated by LeUyen Pham to receive a keychain set to share with YOUR best friend! (US only)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order THE SPINNER OF DREAMS by K.A. Reynolds OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and sticker featuring the cover art (for pre-orders, the bookmark will come signed). The first 100 US pre-orders will receive two postcards, a signed bookmark, sticker, and a black crow feather enamel pin. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- Pre-order CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL by Mara Rutherford OR request it from your local library to receive two 4”x6” prints of character art. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 8/26)
- ***Pre-order DARKDAWN by Jay Kristoff to receive a deleted chapter called “Three”. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE MANY COLORS OF HARPREET SINGH by Supriya Kelkar to receive a signed bookmark & bookplate. (US only)(ends 9/2)
- Pre-order TIGER QUEEN by Annie Sullivan to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, a creature guide and a digital poster. (INT)(ends 9/9)
- ***Pre-order SEEKER by Kim Chance to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a 4×6 print of an exclusive custom piece of artwork created by Gabriella Bujdoso! (INT)(ends 9/9)
- Pre-order THE LAST KIDS ON EARTH AND THE MIDNIGHT BLADE by Max Brallier to receive special slime and a signed bookplate! Plus, your child’s name will be included in the acknowledgements of the next Last Kids on Earth book! (US only)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order MOMENTOUS EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF A CACTUS by Dusti Bowling to receive a signed bookplate, bookmark, & bonus story. (ends 9/16)
- ***Pre-order THE SEVEN NECESSARY SINS FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS by Mona Eltahawy to receive a T-shirt, a 5×7 art print with a quote from the book, and a signed bookplate (first 50). Pre-orders submitted after that will receive the 5×7 art print and the signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 9/16)
- Pre-order HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (Illustrated Edition) by J.K. Rowling via the Bloomsbury website to receive an exclusive Goblet of Fire tote bag. (UK/ROI)(ends 10/7) OR (AU/NZ)(ends 9/18)
- Pre-order THE BEAST by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs to receive a poster and 30 bookmarks to share! (US/CAN only)(ends 9/29)
- Pre-order THE BURNING SHADOW by Jennifer Armentrout to receive an original e-short story “Like the First Time.” Experience the moment Evie and Luc first meet in the club from Luc’s point-of-view. (US/Can)(ends 10/7)
- Pre-order CALL DOWN THE HAWK by Maggie Stiefvater from specified bookstores to receive a signed limited edition bookplate (I believe it features Maggie’s art?). (INT)(ends 11/4)
- Pre-order A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a designed art print of a quote from the first book. (USA–not PR, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 1/6)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @SheaErnshaw is giving away 2 bound manuscripts of WINTERWOOD
- @willrdean is giving away a Goldsboro Books edition of #RedSnow (1st edition, signed & dedicated, red sprayed edges)
- @AuthorJ_Elle is giving away four BLACK SCI-FI/FANTASY 2019 DEBUTS
- @sunandchai is giving away a QPOC OwnVoices book of your choice!
- @alexandraovery is giving away The Storm Crow
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the June 2019 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway and the July Discussion Challenge and Giveaway.
- Malka and Chana @ Paper Procrastinators are celebrating their first blogoversary with a giveaway!
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag because Lauren is celebrating her 12th blogoversary by giving away 12 books!
- Book Riot is giving away the first two books in The Pandava Quartet by Roshani Chokshi
- Head over to Stuck in Books for a chance to win one of 3 Copies of Kingdom of Exiles
- Head over to XPresso Book Tours to enter to win a $150 Amazon gift card!
- Head over to Susan Heim on Parenting for a chance to win an Explorer Academy Summer Reading Prize Pack
- Penguin Random House is doing a massive Stranger Things giveaway
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win Three books from her ARC/Books for Trade shelves
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Very Nice by Marcy Dermansky!
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Hope your oldest had an amazing b-day. 🙂 Can’t wait to see your new deck.
Wishes of a happy week!
Thanks!! And hope you had a wonderful birthday! You should fill out my birthday and blogoversary form. 🙂
Happy birthday to your daughter! My daughter turned 28 last month. I don’t know where the time went.
They’re not joking when they say that your kids grow up fast!!
Happy Birthday to your oldest! Our 4th of July was low key as well, but enjoyable. Mmm, just thinking about smoking chicken and a brisket has my stomach growling, lol.
The smoked brisket was SO good!!
Happy birthday to your oldest! We had a quiet Fourth of July as well. Home improvement projects can be so rewarding (and cause lots of headaches–hopefully more reward than headache). I hope the project with the deck goes smoothly! Those Amelia Fang books look like so much fun! I hope you love them. Have a wonderful week!
Yes, we’re hoping to avoid headaches for sure. 🙂 We have already run into a few just because we have to replace a door with a window before we can do the deck before we can get to the patio. Lots of moving pieces!
I bet the new deck is going to look fabulous! Our 4th was totally low-key, too. Stayed at home (I’m not a huge fan of the crowds and the noise) and just listened to the fireworks. 🙂 The Amelia Fang books look like so much fun – and I love the covers!
We can walk over to the local park to see the fireworks. They’re close enough but no crowds to deal with. 🙂
Ooh your deck/ yard redesign sounds awesome! Good luck with it! We have one in front that’s starting to show its age and we have to figure out what to do with it when we remove it. It’s fun to plan!
Our 4th was pretty low key too, which was nice. Glad you had a great one!
Yes, the planning is fun!! (The paying won’t be quite as fun, but that’s just life). 🙂
Ooh the deck idea sounds amazing! I want pictures when it’s finished, if possible!! I was too tired on 4th of July so I spent it in bed lol
Yes, I’ll definitely have to do lots of before and after pics!
Wow! 17 means they can drive in these parts, so do you have a new driver now? Good luck with the yard. It sounds like it’s going to be fabulous!
16 to drive around here, so she’s had her license for quite a while. The really scary thing is that my 15-year-old is old enough for her permit. Yikes!!
Awww oh my gosh! Those Amelia Fang books look SO BEAUTIFUL. I am in awe. So cute. Also, I feel like sometimes the most lowkey holidays are the best way to spend them. I’m glad you had a nice day! And, oohhhhh how exciting about your deck!!!
Have to agree with you about the Amelia Fang books—I’m so jealous of illustrators. I wish I had an ounce of artistic talent. 🙂
Our deck is getting tatty too, it’s probably past due to be replaced. I hope your backyard remodel goes smoothly.
Have a great reading week, I do like those covers.
Our deck boards tend to rot because we get so much shade behind our house and we must get a lot of water buildup too. My husband has replaced boards several times, but we’ve now decided it’s not worth it and we’re just going with Trex.
Happy birthday to your oldest! I’m glad you had a nice, relaxing 4th of July. Thanks so much for sharing my giveaway. 🙂
Those Amelia Fang books look good! Can’t wait to see what you think about them.
Aren’t they adorable?
We had brisket on the 4th, too. That’s exciting getting a new backyard! You’ll have to share some pics when it’s finished.
Yum! Glad we could “share” a meal! 🙂
those Amelia Fang books are indeed adorable! That smoked chicken and a brisket sound so good! Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday 🙂 I love planning for home remodeling! Cannot wait for your pics!
the smoked chicken and brisket were both fantastic! I can’t wait for my husband to make more. 🙂
Happy birthday to your eldest! It really is scary how quickly they grow up.
Good luck with the garden plans!
So true! I know everyone tells you that your kids grow up quickly, but it really does feel impossible while it’s happening!
Have so much fun getting your new deck ready in your backyard! When we sold our old house and bought our new one a few years ago I loved that the backyard was a clean slate. It’s been so fun doing a few projects each summer, it’s amazing watching it all come together. 🙂 And happy birthday to your oldest! ♥
We built a deck from scratch at our old house, but that was many years ago. We’re out of practice now. LOL!