The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news ~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
Happy Fourth of July to everyone in the US! Yesterday we celebrated the kids’ July birthdays (my daughter Jade and three of her cousins) with family, so that was fun. My oldest daughter Jade is now 19!
- I deleted a post from the link-up. Okay, I have never done this before besides spam posts that sometimes slip in, but for the first time ever, I deleted a post that was linked up to the Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up. Then the person linked up again, and I had to delete it again and send an email explaining why. So I thought I’d explain my unofficial policy about that here. I’m not typically one to censor other people’s thoughts, but at the same time, I refuse to leave a link on my blog to something that I find hateful or just plain ignorant. If you’re planning to post a rant about LGBT people (or people of a particular race or ethnicity, for that matter), leave my link-ups out of it!
- What I Read:
- I started reading my AMM mentee’s latest draft of her MG manuscript.
- I read Greta’s Story; Wand, Paper, Scissors; and Dog Daze, all middle grade reads that I’ve had on my review shelf for a long while now. I also started reading Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore.
- I’m finished listening to Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston and now I’m listening to The Making of Biblical Womanhood by Beth Allison Barr,
- TV We Watched:
- Manifest. My husband told me about this show, and I started watching. I love what I’ve seen so far! Of course, my mom informed me that it got canceled without a real ending, so that’s incredibly disappointing. She says the creator of the show is trying to get a proper ending made, so I guess I can hope.
- America’s Next Top Model. I watched season 8 this week and started season 9.
A pic of Bella from yesterday, just because. Can you tell she was hot after playing outside? Look at that tongue! LOL!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- June 2021 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Giveaway
- July 2021 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- June 2021 Monthly Wrap-Up & Best of the Bunch
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- 7/4 – Paper Procrastinators‘ Blogoversary
- 7/7 – Erica Robyn @ Erica Robyn Reads‘ Birthday
- 7/7 – Game, Read, Teach‘s Blogoversary (Technically, it’s the blogoversary for Brittani’s old blog, Hope, Faith & Books, but I’m still counting it.)
- 7/8 – Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books‘ Birthday
- 7/9 – Metaphors and Moonlight‘s Blogoversary
Here are the books I’ve gotten over the last few weeks.
I received Jane Yolen’s Arch of Bone, illustrated by Ruth Sanderson. Thank you Tachyon Publications for the review copy!
I got The Woods Are Always Watching by Stephanie Perkins and How to Find What You’re Not Looking For
by Veera Hiranandani from Penguin Random House, The Witch Haven by Sasha Peyton Smith from Simon & Schuster, and Across the Desert by Dusti Bowling from Little, Brown Books.
NEW Pre-order Campaigns
Head over to my new Pre-Order Campaigns Page to see ALL of the pre-order deals, including pictures!!
Here’s the list of all the pre-order campaigns that I just added to the list this week: (I’ll probably be adding more, but I want to get this post up, so…)
Pre-order SMALL FAVORS by Erin A. Craig from Novel and receive a signed bookplate and the hand-dyed, silk-ribboned bookmark. (Ends 7/26) CLICK FOR DETAILS
Pre-order TRASHLANDS by Alison Stine OR request it from your local library to receive a sheet of temporary tattoos, sticker, and signed bookmark! (US only)(Ends 10/25) CLICK FOR DETAILS
Pre-order A BATHROOM BOOK FOR PEOPLE NOT POOPING OR PEEING BUT USING THE BATHROOM AS AN ESCAPE by Joe Pera, illustrated by Joe Bennett to receive a signed bookplate from the author and illustrator. (US/CAN)(Ends 11/15) CLICK FOR DETAILS
Pre-order THE FAMILY PLOT by Megan Collins from River Bend Bookshop to receive a signed copy and 3 custom vinyl stickers! (Ends 8/16) CLICK FOR DETAILS
Pre-order NEVER SAW YOU COMING by Erin Hahn from Nicola’s Books to receive a signed, personalized copy and a custom fairy wing temporary tattoo inspired by Meg Hennessey! (Ends 9/6) CLICK FOR DETAILS
Pre-order AT SUMMER’S END by Courtney Ellis from Blue Willow Books to receive a signed bookplate, a postcard, a bookmark with one of five classic Impressionist paintings, and a seed paper heart which can be planted to grow wildflowers! (Ends 8/9) CLICK FOR DETAILS
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
None that I saw this week!
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the June or July 2021 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the May or June Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway.
- Head over to Bookhounds YA for a chance to win COLD HEARTED
- Head over to iRead Book Tours for a chance to win James Dreadful and the Spell-Guardian and more! (Check the sidebar)
- Head over to XPresso Book Tours for a chance to win The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett & More Than a Number by Gracie Graham and more! (Check the sidebar)
- Head over to Literary Ramblings to enter to win a query letter or 10-page critique from Sacha Wunsch!
- Lots of blogs participating in the Sparkle Time Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to A Court of Coffee and Books for a chance INSTRUCTIONS FOR DANCING
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win 3 books from Lisa’s ARC pile. You can also win Other People’s Butterflies.
- Head over to KidLit411 for a chance to win The Verdigris Pawn, Josephine Against the Sea, and The Worm Family Has its Picture Taken.
- Head over to The Children’s Book Review’s Giveaway Page for lots of giveaways!
- Lots of blogs participating in the July 2021 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including A $250 B&N gift card!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Yay for the celebrations birthdays and the 4th! We are so lax. We don’t celebrate much; we just use the time to sleep in or pursue activities we can’t normally find time to do. I do like to cook some things. I’m just going to grill burgers and dogs and we are having s’mores for dessert.
Anne – Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post
Yeah, we didn’t do too much actually on the 4th. The highlight was actually that we picked my daughter up from her trip to Yellowstone and got to hear all about her trip and then we watched Luca (with a break to walk to the park and watch the fireworks).
Happy birthday to all the July kids! Sorry you had to delete a post. I’ve run into that issue with comments on my Pinterest pins. I don’t care if you dislike a book, but if you say nasty things about an author’s race, religion, appearance, or sexuality, I’m going to delete your nonsense. I’ve had to delete a lot of nonsense on Pinterest recently.
I don’t think I even realized you could comment on Pinterest posts. Sorry so many people feel the need to post offensive comments, though.
That picture of Bella is fantastic. She’s too cute! Wow! That’s awkward with that linked post. Why are people like that? I hope you have a good weekend!
I just had to share Bella’s cuteness with the world! LOL!
Oh good on you for deleting that post. Can’t believe people think bigotry is acceptable, especially among this community. And OH, look at Bella!! What a sweet girl!
Yeah, I have no interest in amplifying views like that.
Bella is adorable. Happy 4th.
Aww…sweet Bella. She says it’s too darn hot outside ?. Sounds like you are having a very busy but fun weekend! Happy 4th ?
Sounds like you had a fun birthday party for the kids. And Bella is so cute. The Woods Are Always Watching and Across the Desert look good. Natalie @ Literary Rambles
Yes, it’s been way too hot for the pups this week!!
Happy 4th of July! And happy birthday to all the kids! Sounds like you’ve had a busy week. Bella is just adorable.
I got The Witch Haven this past week too! My sister said I should watch Manifest, but knowing it has that cliffhanger makes me hesitant. I mean, yeah, I watch other shows with cliffhangers, but knowing they have a next season makes a difference. lol My Argyle came in with his tongue hanging out like that yesterday, but he was happy too, so it’s all good. Have a great week!
I know – it’s hard to start watching a show knowing you won’t get a real wrap-up. Since my husband and I rarely find shows we both like, I decided to watch anyway, though. Hopefully the creator will find a way to wrap things up for the fans!
Happy birthday to your daughter and her cousins!
I don’t blame you for deleting the link; I would have done the same. (And will, if I ever find myself in that position.)
Bella looks like a lovely, happy dog. Enjoy your 4th of July!
I’ve never been in this sort of situation before, and hopefully I won’t be again, but I wouldn’t do anything any differently.
Aww!! Bella is so sweet!!
Nice new reads! I’m super curious about Witch Haven and The Woods Are Always Watching is another one I really want to read! Hope you enjoy all the new reads!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
I’m looking forward to both of them!
I love the idea of celebrating your daughter and the cousins birthdays together – what a great idea! And the pic of Bella is lovely – she is the most amazing colour… As for the link – what exceptionally bad manners, apart from anything else! So sorry you encountered such abysmal behaviour. I hope the coming week is a good one, Nicole and many thanks for swinging by my blog and your kind comment:).
My daughter and her twin cousins were born only ten hours apart, and then their other cousin has a birthday just over a week later, so we’ve always been able to celebrate them together!
Happy 4 of July!!! And congrats to your daughter! Hope you had a great day celebrating. 🙂
I’ve heard about Manifest, Shannon recommended it to me and I’m thinking of trying it. How frustrating that all these shows seem to get canceled misdtream!
Hope you have a great weekend! 🙂
Yeah, and from what I’ve heard the ending of Manifest isn’t happening. Even though it’s been #1 on Netflix for the past month, they decided not to pick the series up. So sad!
Happy Birthday to Jade and her cousins!
Thank you for deleting the link to the offensive post. I am sorry you had to deal with that and support your decision wholeheartedly.
I saw the first couple of episodes of Manifest when it came out but never went further with it. I was thinking of watching it now that it’s on Netflix. I was sad to hear it was cancelled without a proper ending. I hope they will let them film one. I hate when things are left hanging.
I am really excited about The Witch Haven. I hope you enjoy all your new books! Have a great week, Nicole!
Yeah, I’m really sad about the fact that it’s looking like Netflix has opted not to pick up the series. So frustrating!
“If you’re planning to post a rant about LGBT people (or people of a particular race or ethnicity, for that matter), leave my link-ups out of it!”
The nerve. I hope you didn’t get any backlash about it!
LOL, Bella is me now. The heat is doing me in.
Happy new week!
It ended up with some back-and-forth via email, but that’s it. I can’t tell anyone what to post on their own blog, but I certainly don’t have to amplify voices I disagree with.
Bella is adorable! I’m glad you took care of that link. I would not want something like that linked from my blog either. Hope you enjoy your new books! I’ve got my eye on The Woods Are Always Watching.
happy birthday, blogoversary, and fourth of july. thanks for a great post
Happy birthday to all the July kids! And I agree with your stance on deleting the links. They need to take that hate somewhere else.
You’ve got lots of pre-order bonuses and giveaways listed here. Wonderful. And I agree completely about links that promote hate.
Happy Fourth, Nicole! Aw, what a cute picture of Bella!! Must be tough for her in this heat. Good for you for deleting that post: there’s enough hate in the world as it is.
Yikes about the link but you did the right thing.
Hope you all had a nice 4th.
Karen @For What It’s Worth
I couldn’t agree more, as you know, and I am glad you said something! I am sad that you had to, of course, but yeah. Maybe we should put something in the posts going forward? Ugh.
Also, I am so sad about Manifest! I LOVE that show so very much. It’s just so great- the characters are awesome, and I love that it’s exciting but also hopeful. Apparently it is doing like, ridiculously well on Netflix, I honestly cannot wrap my head around the cancellation. I do hope there will be some kind of wrap up!
Happy birthday to Jade and the cousins, too! And Bella is too cute!
Ugh, that’s a shame about the link up issue. I’m with you, I have no time for anyone who wants to spew hate and intolerance.
So many birthdays this month – I always say it’s the best month 😉
I’d do the same as you and not allow links to that post. Ugh – hope posts like that don’t come your way again on your link-ups.
I think you made the right call. If someone’s being hateful, that has no place in your link-ups. While I may not agree with everyone, I firmly believe that we can all be decent toward each other.
Love the books you collected this week 🙂 Added some to my TBR already LOL … as if it needs more!
[…] all news to me, since I had literally never talked about the situation at all publically except for one mention where I said I’d deleted a post from the link-up and said we wouldn’t leave … I never mentioned her name or her blog or even the specific contents of her post. But apparently, […]