This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
Somehow I managed to get more posts up while I was on vacation than after I got back (I mean, they were scheduled ahead of time, but still). It took us till Wednesday to get all the plumbing issues dealt with, so I just didn’t manage to even think about a post until Thursday. I’m happy to say that my house is now leak-free, even if things are not completely back to normal—it will take us a while to get all the repairs done. I’m just happy to be able to take a shower!
My son’s Special Olympics hockey team won their state meet last week, so that was exciting. Now they’ve moved on to basketball. My older daughter and I went to traffic court on Wednesday for the ticket she got for her accident. The ticket was thrown out because the other party didn’t show up to court, but my daughter is so funny—she was actually sort of disappointed that she didn’t get to argue her case and prove that she wasn’t in the wrong. She wants redemption, not an easy out. LOL!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- Nov 26th – Heather @ Based on a True Story‘s Birthday
- Nov 27th – Bregje @ B a Reader‘s Birthday
- Nov 29th – Drizzle & Hurricane Books‘ Blogoversary
None this week!!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Writers: Want a chance at a critique of your first 15 pages from Paula Stokes?
- Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books talks about The Inequities of Ebooks
- Alys @ Alys in Bookland shares about what Halloween is like in the Philippines
- I am SUPER excited to tell you all about my friend Megan E. Freeman’s debut book, which was just announced to be coming out in spring of 2021. It’s called LONE GIRL and it’s a middle-grade contemporary retelling of Island of the Blue Dolphins in verse!!! I’ll let you all know when you can add it to Goodreads. (You definitely want to add it to Goodreads.)
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order EMBLEM ISLAND: CURSE OF THE NIGHT WITCH by Alex Aster to receive a limited edition holiday sticker sheet and a note from the author. (US/Can)
- Pre-order RETURN OF THE DRAGON QUEEN by Farah Oomerbhoy to receive a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 11/25)
- Pre-order STARSIGHT by Brandon Sanderson to receive an exclusive flight patch inspired by the series! (US only)(ends 11/25)
- Pre-order BLOOD HEIR by Amélie Wen Zhao to receive a “Choose to be Brave” sticker, an illustrated bookmark with glossed lettering, and a signed & personalized bookplate with a Book Secret written on the back. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 11/26)
- ***Pre-order TO SLEEP IN A SEA OF STARS by Christopher Paolini to receive three limited edition mystery prizes! (US/Can)(ends 12/2)
- ***Pre-order ANYONE by Charles Soule to receive a personalized letter from NeOnet Global, the corporation that runs the body-swap tech in the book, called the “flash.” You’ll also get an enamel pin and US pre-orderers will get a chance to win a trip to NY to “be” Charles Soule—check out the link for details. (INT)(ends 12/2)
- Pre-order DEAR AUTHOR by Laura A. Grace to receive a postcard, a bookmark, a sticker, and a personalized mini letter from the author. (ends 12/2)
- Pre-order SCARED LITTLE RABBITS by A.V. Geiger to receive a bookmark, signed bookplate, and graphic sticker. (INT)(ends 12/2)
- Pre-order JUST DON’T MENTION IT by Estelle Maskame to receive a signed bookplate. (US/Can)(ends 12/2)
- Pre-order THE LAST KING OF THE MOUNTAIN by Camryn Daytona to receive a postcard of a map of Illistra. If you purchase a physical copy you will also receive a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 12/9)
- Pre-order DIAMOND & DAWN by Lyra Selene to OR request it from your local library receive five stunning full-color character cards and a signed bookplate. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 12/9)
- ***Pre-order FOUL IS FAIR by Hannah Capin to receive a GOLDEN BOYS BEWARE sticker. (US/Can)(ends 12/15?)
- Pre-order THE KILL CLUB by Wendy Heard OR request a library purchase to receive a Blackbird Killer lapel pin, a Blackbird Killer playing card, a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and secret swag. (Form to submit can be found HERE.)(ends 12/16)
- Pre-order THE RELIC SPELL by Jimena I. Novaro OR request it from your local library to receive a custom tote bag or a custom journal! (US only)(ends 12/16)
- ***Pre-order WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT by Isabel Ibañez to receive an annotated PDF of the first chapter. US pre-orders will also receive an illustrated bookmark, a 5 x 7 art print, and a sticker. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE NIGHT COUNTRY by Melissa Albert to receive an original Hazel Wood chapbook featuring fan-favorite Finch! (US only)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a designed art print of a quote from the first book. (USA–not PR, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order SCAVENGE THE STARS by Tara Sim to receive a 9 X 12 art piece, 3 character cards, a bookmark, & a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THAT NIGHT, WHEN THE LIGHT WENT OUT, HERE THERE ARE MONSTERS, I HAVE NO SECRETS, THE SIMILARS, THE LAST TO DIE, SCARED LITTLE RABBITS or THE LAST WITNESS to receive one of four custom magnets and be entered to win a 6-month subscription to Hunt-a-Killer and a $100 gift card! (US only)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order OASIS by Katya de Becerra to receive an art print and a query critique! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE MAP FROM HERE TO THERE by Emery Lord to receive exclusive bonus content written by the author! (US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and India)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE OLD TRUCK by Jarrett Pumphrey & Jerome Pumphrey from BookPeople to receive a signed and personalized copy and an enamel pin! (ends 1/7)
- Pre-order A LONGER FALL by Charlaine Harris to receive an exclusive, collectible print of Dixie. (US only)(ends 1/13)
- Pre-order THE ECHOES BETWEEN US by Katie McGarry to receive a limited-edition notebook! (US/Can)(ends 1/13)
- Pre-order A BEGINNING AT THE END by Mike Chen to receive a download copy of the short story ANONYMOUS, which was the basis for Chen’s next novel WE COULD BE HEROES. You’ll also be entered to win a giveaway! (ends 1/14)
- Pre-order DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS by Shannon and Dean Hale, art by Victoria Ying to receive an adorable 2″ Acrylic charm! (ends 1/14)
- Pre-order EVERY OTHER WEEKEND by Abigail Johnson OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed & personalized quote bookplate, and an exclusive sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order BEYOND THE SHADOWED EARTH by Joanna Ruth Meyer OR request it from your library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and 4 character art cards. (TEENS can receive the goodies even if they’re not able to pre-order.) (US only)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order THIS VICIOUS CURE by Emily Suvada to receive three signed (and personalized, if desired) bookplates and three signed bookmarks – one for each book in the series. (US residents can also get a signed postcard for ordering THIS MORTAL COIL or THIS CRUEL DESIGN.) (INT)(ends 1/28)
- Pre-order DON’T READ THE COMMENTS by Eric Smith OR request it from your local library to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate with pixel art, and a laptop decal! There’s also an option for teachers and book clubs to receive a Skype visit or have the author come to your classroom (read the details on his site). (INT)(ends 1/27)
- ***Pre-order ALL THE STARS AND TEETH by Adalyn Grace to receive a Keel Haul limited edition pin and a signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order THE STARS WE STEAL by Alexa Donne to receive a digital, exclusive bonus short story. US pre-orders will also receive 2 bookmarks, a limited edition art print, a signed bookplate, and a limited edition “half agony, half hope” Persuasion laptop sticker. (US/INT)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order BELOW by Alexandria Warwick to receive a digital swag pack, including complete annotations, an extended scene, Inuit resources used for research, early art inspiration/images/aesthetics, and two scenes from the North series book 2. Paperback pre-orders will also receive a signed limited edition World of the North card. (INT)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order CHIRP by Kate Messner to receive a class set of bookmarks and a poster! (US/CAN)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order THE GRAVITY OF US by Phil Stamper to receive a signed bookplate that’s been sent to space! (US/Can only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order HOW TO SPEAK BOY by Tiana Smith OR request it from your local library to receive a X♡X♡ leather notebook, a X♡X♡ tin of mints and a mini bookmark! (US only)(ends 2/7)
- Pre-order THE GOBLETS IMMORTAL by Beth Overmyer to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a mini replica of the silver sword that makes an appearance throughout the book. (ends 2/12)
- Pre-order BREAK THE FALL by Jennifer Iacopelli OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a teal Sexual Assault Awareness enamel pin! (INT)(ends 2/17)
- Pre-order CHAIN OF GOLD by Cassandra Clare to receive a limited edition wooden bookmark! (UK & ROI only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order CRESCENT CITY: HOUSE OF EARTH AND BLOOD by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive art print! (US, Can, UK, ROI, AUS, NZ, and India)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE KINGDOM OF BACK by Marie Lu to receive a custom book pouch! (US only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE RAVEN AND THE DOVE by Kaitlyn Davis to receive an exclusive double-sided art print! Print pre-orders will also receive a bookmark and a signed bookplate/sticker to attach to your book. (US only)(ends 3/8)
- Pre-order THE EMPIRE OF GOLD by S.A. Chakraborty to receive a set of six pins featuring the tribal sigils of each tribe of Daevabad! (US only)(ends 6/29)
- ***Pre-order UNRAVEL THE DUSK by Elizabeth Lim to receive swag (to be announced later). (INT)(ends 7/13)
- Pre-order TRAITOR by Amanda McCrina OR request it from your local library to receive pre-order goodies (details forthcoming). (ends 8/24)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @Danika_Stone is giving away WILDER GIRLS, SWITCHBACK, CAMP TALLAWANDA and more goodies!
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the October 2019 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway, and the November Discussion Challenge and Giveaway.
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight is celebrating her birthday with a giveaway!
- Head over to Paper Fury for a chance to win a Jord watch!
- Head over to We Live and Breathe Books for a chance to win CRYING LAUGHING
- Head over to Pop! Goes the Reader for a chance to win an advance reader copy of Ignite the Sun
- Head over to Here’s to Happy Endings for a chance to win A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES, THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD, CORAL, and DEADLY LITTLE SCANDALS.
- Head over to BookHounds for a chance to win HEART OF THE MOORS, THE HOW & THE WHY, or CHARLIE HERNANDEZ AND THE CASTLE OF BONES.
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for a chance to win CROWN OF OBLIVION by Julie Eshbaugh
- Head over to In the Bookcase to enter to win a Book Page Snowman from Fold Between The Lines
- Lots of blogs participating in the Gratitude Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Stuck in Books for a chance to win a pre-order of EVERY OTHER WEEKEND by Abigail Johnson!
- AJ @ Read All the Things is giving someone a $100 Book Shopping Spree for Christmas!!
- Head over to Wishful Endings for Tressa’s Monthly Giveaway of an Amazon gift card!
- Lots of blogs participating in the November Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Wife After Wife by Olivia Hayfield!
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Haha, your daughter is a strange person if she WANTS to be in traffic court. Congrats to your son, and I’m glad the plumbing is fixed. Have a great week!
I know, right? She just wanted someone to validate to her that she was NOT in the wrong. LOL!
Glad you got the pipes problem solved. Good luck with all the repairs. Whoo hoo for your son. That’s awesome! I hope he enjoys as much success during basketball season. I can’t believe your daughter got a ticket for someone hitting her, and then he didn’t even show up in court. It is great that she came prepared and willing to fight, though. I don’t know if I would have been like that at her age.
Well, to be fair, it is automatically considered your fault if you are turning left and someone hits you. We had the video feed to show that they basically ran a red and were going fast to do it, but the very front bumper did cross on the yellow (we had to watch it frame by frame to see that). Jade had this whole thing where she mathematically figured out their speed, but I’ll confess that I didn’t know if she’d be able to “prove” it in court since she’s not an actual math expert and the judge wouldn’t be either. As far as the person not showing up, that’s pretty standard. Not a single person showed up for accidents that day—basically, you’d only show up if you wanted to make sure that person’s ticket stuck!
Glad to hear that your plumbing problems got fixed. Glad to hear the ticket was thrown out too.
Yes, we needed some good news. 🙂
I’m happy to hear the plumbing issues were fixed. Hope that with time you can get all the repairs done. 🙂
Happy readings! 😉
We’re still working on those repairs, unfortunately. Hopefully we’ll be done one of these days!
Your daughter sounds like a confident, and loyal person who will not stand for injustice. Excellent. So happy to read that it’s showers for everyone again at your house. I’m hoping now that we have a new water heater that we are good to go for years.
Ha! Yes, she definitely knows what she thinks is right and sticks to it!
congrats to your son. that is fabulous. glad you can take a shower now. 🙂
Glad your home is now leak free. Hope you get everything else back in order trouble free. Yay for your son!!
Well, we’re STILL dealing with the repairs, but hopefully someday we’ll be finished! 🙂
Glad your plumbing problems are gone! And yay for your son! And daughter! Even though she didn’t get to argue her case! Lol.
Hope you enjoy your week ahead!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Yeah, she didn’t get her day in court, but it all worked out in her favor. 🙂
Glad to hear the plumbing stuff is over with! That can be such a mess. A friend of mine had similar problems and the damage was awful. Ugh.
Congrats to your son, and your daughter too haha for her determination!!
Oh and happy Thanksgiving this week! 🙂
Yeah, we’re still dealing with ours—it’s going to be a while before everything’s taken care of.
I hope the remaining repairs are completed quickly.
Congrats to your son, and it sounds like your daughter is doing much better now.
Wishing you a great reading week
Quickly isn’t the word I’d use—we’re still dealing with repairs that need to get done. Oh well!
Sounds like a good week on the home front! I’m glad the plumbing issues are taken care of.
Yep, and one of these days we’ll get all the residual repairs finished too. LOL!
The same thing sort of happened to me once. I showed up to court to argue about a ticket and the cop didn’t show up so they threw out the ticket and expunged my record. It was nice! Lol.
Yeah, absolutely everyone who showed up for accidents at that time (they had a bunch scheduled all at once) got dismissed all at once because no witnesses showed up for any of them. Makes it nice and easy!
Ah I’m so happy all the plumbing issues are resolved, yay! <3 and congratulations to your son, that's so great!
Thank you for always having this little calendar with the blogoversary and birthday dates. I now realize I had my blogoversary's exact date wrong all along hahaha.
I hope you'll have a wonderful week! <3
Oh, so funny!!!
Glad your plumbing issues are all sorted, there is nothing better than finally getting to have a shower after having plumbing issues. You get to finally feel clean. I totally get your daughters wish to argue in court to prove she wasn’t in the wrong, but surely the other party not showing up says everything about their thoughts on it? They definitely felt like they were in the wrong.
That could be true (or they just didn’t care enough about making her pay for the ticket to show up). 🙂
OOF- that’s a lot of time without being able to take a shower.. that ONE must’ve felt like heaven! ahah, happy to know the leak is now something of the past (though repare is still on-going), atleast that’s a first step!
and congrats to your son’s team ❤️ I mean, I sorta understand your daughter, that’s no fun ahah
We were able to take a military-style shower once or twice in between (where you turn on the water for as short as possible to get wet, soap up, and then turn it back on for a minute to rinse off), but it was definitely nice to take a REAL shower!
Congratulations to your son, that’s so exciting! And good for your daughter for wanting to stand up and speak for herself. She should be proud of herself that she was going to do that, even if she didn’t get the chance.?
I definitely know my daughter will stand up for herself, that’s for sure!
Glad you are leak free! Thats always a plus. And your daughter is hilarious! But bless her for wanting everyone to know she was in the right!
Yes, let’s face it, it’s no fun being right if no one knows it. LOL!
I’m glad the plumbing issue is cleaned up. You are too busy for that nonsense. Have a lovely Thanksgiving and enjoy some great books!
Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post
Yes, I AM too busy!! Luckily, we’ve had a bit of a break since then. Now, if only we could get all the repairs done—it’s hard to get things scheduled this time of year.
It entertains me that your daughter wanted to argue her point but was sad when she didn’t get the opportunity to! Congratulations to your son and his team for winning the state. I’m on holiday now and am barely keeping up with anything… impressed you managed to get more posts in that way!
Yes, we’ve always said my daughter would make a good lawyer—she sure does love to argue her point. LOL!