This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
This week we had rehearsals for worship team for Christmas Eve service and we did a teensy bit of decorating, with stockings, a couple of small items and a “tree” (we literally put up the top section of our Christmas tree and just decorated that—it actually looks pretty cute). We hadn’t done any decorating earlier because we weren’t sure when people were coming to paint (it’s not happening till after the holidays). I also worked more on my editing project.
On the blog, I caught up with comments—I had over 200 un-replied to comments that have been building up over the last couple of months with all the emergencies that have been going on around here. I’ve been replying sporadically, but I realized I’d been only responding to newer comments and leaving older ones. If I was a normal person, I would just skip those older ones and move on, but I have the “Comments Not Replied to” plugin that tells me about my un-replied comments, and there is no way to stop them from showing up without replying (a big flaw with the plugin—but this is the only one that I know of, and I really like it 99% of the time). Those un-replied comments would have haunted me FOREVER!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
And just a reminder that you can sign up for the 2020 Book Blog Discussion Challenge
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- Dec 26th – Melissa @ Melissa’s Eclectic Bookshelf‘s Birthday
- Dec 28th – Erica Robyn Reads‘ Blogoversary
I received When We Were Magic from Simon & Schuster! This witchy love story by Sarah Gailey is right up my alley.
I won Bone Hollow from an Instagram giveaway that Kim Ventrella did. I’m curious to see how this middle grade novel tackles the topic of death. Really looking forward to reading it!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Sheila @ Book Journey is hosting First Book of The Year 2020
- Dani @ Perspective of a Writer talks about Who’s responsible for YOU being spoiled? A discussion about book blogger choices.
- Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts gives us ways a villain could ruin the holiday season.
Also, a reminder that I’m not doing my list of ALL the reading and blogging challenges I can find this year. Here are two other bloggers who’ve created very similar lists:
- Girl XOXO’s The Master List of 2020 Reading Challenges
- And Reading Challenge Addict’s 2020 Reading Challenges
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order THE DARK IN-BETWEEN by Elizabeth Hrib to receive bookmarks/stickers. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 12/31)
- Pre-order WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT by Isabel Ibañez to receive an annotated PDF of the first chapter. US pre-orders will also receive an illustrated bookmark, a 5 x 7 art print, and a sticker. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE NIGHT COUNTRY by Melissa Albert to receive an original Hazel Wood chapbook featuring fan-favorite Finch! (US only)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN by Brigid Kemmerer to receive a designed art print of a quote from the first book. (USA–not PR, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order SCAVENGE THE STARS by Tara Sim to receive a 9 X 12 art piece, 3 character cards, a bookmark, & a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THAT NIGHT, WHEN THE LIGHT WENT OUT, HERE THERE ARE MONSTERS, I HAVE NO SECRETS, THE SIMILARS, THE LAST TO DIE, SCARED LITTLE RABBITS or THE LAST WITNESS to receive one of four custom magnets and be entered to win a 6-month subscription to Hunt-a-Killer and a $100 gift card! (US only)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order OASIS by Katya de Becerra to receive an art print and a query critique! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order THE MAP FROM HERE TO THERE by Emery Lord to receive exclusive bonus content written by the author! (US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and India)(ends 1/6)
- Pre-order STORM FROM THE EAST by Joanna Hathaway to receive exclusive bonus scenes from Dark of the West. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order DEFY THE SUN by Jessika Fleck OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a custom dye-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 3/9)
- Pre-order TO SLEEP IN A SEA OF STARS by Christopher Paolini to receive a limited edition enamel pin! (US/Can)(ends 1/6, but other goodies will be available until 4/14)
- Pre-order THE OLD TRUCK by Jarrett Pumphrey & Jerome Pumphrey from BookPeople to receive a signed and personalized copy and an enamel pin! (ends 1/7)
- Pre-order THRONE OF SWANS by Katharine and Elizabeth Corr to be entered to win a bookplate signed by both authors, an exclusive bookmark, an enamel pin badge and a Swarovski swan necklace. (UK/Ireland only)(ends 1/8)
- Pre-order A LONGER FALL by Charlaine Harris to receive an exclusive, collectible print of Dixie. (US only)(ends 1/13)
- Pre-order THE ECHOES BETWEEN US by Katie McGarry to receive a limited-edition notebook! (US/Can)(ends 1/13)
- Pre-order THE CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS by Ransom Riggs to receive an exclusive photo personally selected by the author and a luggage tag. (US only)(ends 1/13)
- Pre-order A BEGINNING AT THE END by Mike Chen to receive a download copy of the short story ANONYMOUS, which was the basis for Chen’s next novel WE COULD BE HEROES. You’ll also be entered to win a giveaway! (ends 1/14)
- Pre-order DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS by Shannon and Dean Hale, art by Victoria Ying to receive an adorable 2″ Acrylic charm! (ends 1/14)
- Pre-order EVERY OTHER WEEKEND by Abigail Johnson OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed & personalized quote bookplate, and an exclusive sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order BEYOND THE SHADOWED EARTH by Joanna Ruth Meyer OR request it from your library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and 4 character art cards. (TEENS can receive the goodies even if they’re not able to pre-order.) (US only)(ends 1/14)
- Pre-order INFINITY SON by Adam Silvera to receive a Phoenix enamel pin. (US or UK & IRELAND)(ends 1/13)
- Pre-order ASHLORDS by Scott Reintgen and you’ll be entered to win a chance to be a character in a new series! Pre-orders from indie bookstores will receive two entries. (ends 1/20)
- Pre-order DIAMOND CITY by Francesca Flores to receive a signed diamond-designed bookplate, a glossy bookmark, and a letter from the author to you. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 1/27)
- Pre-order SPELLHACKER by M.K. England to receive a bookmark, two stickers, a signed bookplate (If you preorder from Fountain Bookstore, your book will also be hand-signed), a postcard, an emailed PDF with a printable SPELLHACKER-themed card to give as a gift, and a Disasters short story. (INT)(ends 1/27)
- Pre-order THIS VICIOUS CURE by Emily Suvada to receive three signed (and personalized, if desired) bookplates and three signed bookmarks – one for each book in the series. (US residents can also get a signed postcard for ordering THIS MORTAL COIL or THIS CRUEL DESIGN.) (INT)(ends 1/28)
- Pre-order DON’T READ THE COMMENTS by Eric Smith OR request it from your local library to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate with pixel art, and a laptop decal! There’s also an option for teachers and book clubs to receive a Skype visit or have the author come to your classroom (read the details on his site). (INT)(ends 1/27)
- Pre-order ALL THE STARS AND TEETH by Adalyn Grace to receive a Keel Haul limited edition pin and a signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order THE STARS WE STEAL by Alexa Donne to receive a digital, exclusive bonus short story. US pre-orders will also receive 2 bookmarks, a limited edition art print, a signed bookplate, and a limited edition “half agony, half hope” Persuasion laptop sticker. (US/INT)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order BELOW by Alexandria Warwick to receive a digital swag pack, including complete annotations, an extended scene, Inuit resources used for research, early art inspiration/images/aesthetics, and two scenes from the North series book 2. Paperback pre-orders will also receive a signed limited edition World of the North card. (INT)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order CHIRP by Kate Messner to receive a class set of bookmarks and a poster! (US/CAN)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order THE GRAVITY OF US by Phil Stamper to receive a signed bookplate that’s been sent to space! (US/Can only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order BELLE REVOLTE by Linsey Miller to receive a signed FIREreads bookplate, 4 character cards and an exclusive print of the map of Demeine! (US/Can)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order THE QUEEN’S ASSASSIN by Melissa De La Cruz to receive one of two exclusive enamel pins. (US only)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order HOW TO SPEAK BOY by Tiana Smith OR request it from your local library to receive a X♡X♡ leather notebook, a X♡X♡ tin of mints and a mini bookmark! (US only)(ends 2/7)
- Pre-order YES NO MAYBE SO by Aisha Saeed and Becky Albertalli OR request it from your local library to receive a signed postcard featuring scenes from the cover art. (INT)(ends 2/8)
- Pre-order NIGHT SPINNER by Addie Thorley OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, a quote sticker, and an exclusive character art print. The first 50 US pre-orders will also receive an exclusive book band! (INT)(ends 2/10)
- Pre-order THE GOBLETS IMMORTAL by Beth Overmyer to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a mini replica of the silver sword that makes an appearance throughout the book. (ends 2/12)
- Pre-order BREAK THE FALL by Jennifer Iacopelli OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a teal Sexual Assault Awareness enamel pin! (INT)(ends 2/17)
- Pre-order OF CURSES AND KISSES by Sandhya Menon to receive two GORGEOUS custom art postcards. (US only)(ends 2/17)
- ***Pre-order GLITCH KINGDOM by Sheena Boekweg OR request the book at your local library OR email the author fan art to receive five character art stickers, a bookmark, and a personalized and signed bookplate! You’ll also be entered to win a custom Funko Pop! (US only)(ends 2/17)
- Pre-order THE SOUND OF STARS by Alechia Dow to receive a magnet, a sticker, a button, a postcard and a bookmark. (INT)(ends 2/24)
- Pre-order THE ADVENTURE ZONE: PETALS TO THE METAL by Clint McElroy, Griffin McElroy, Travis McElroy, Justin McElroy, and Carey Pietsch to receive a digital version art print and an exclusive recording of the live show from the McElroys SDCC Book Launch for Murder on the Rockport Limited. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US/Can)(ends 2/29)
- Pre-order CHAIN OF GOLD by Cassandra Clare to receive a limited edition wooden bookmark! (UK & ROI only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order CRESCENT CITY: HOUSE OF EARTH AND BLOOD by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive art print! (US, Can, UK, ROI, AUS, NZ, and India)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE KINGDOM OF BACK by Marie Lu to receive a custom book pouch! (US only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE RAVEN AND THE DOVE by Kaitlyn Davis to receive an exclusive double-sided art print! Print pre-orders will also receive a bookmark and a signed bookplate/sticker to attach to your book. (US only)(ends 3/8)
- Pre-order THE DERBY DAREDEVILS by Kit Rosewater OR request it from your local library to receive a special letter about the pre-order (or libraries being awesome) and some fun facts about the book, a bookmark featuring a Daredevils player, an official roller derby glossary, and a blank postcard for dropping a line to friends. Pre-orders will also receive a signed bookplate and a die-cut sticker of the Daredevils logo! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 3/23)
- Pre-order THE EMPIRE OF GOLD by S.A. Chakraborty to receive a set of six pins featuring the tribal sigils of each tribe of Daevabad! (US only)(ends 6/29)
- Pre-order UNRAVEL THE DUSK by Elizabeth Lim to receive swag (to be announced later). (US only for now–but check back in future)(ends 7/13)
- Pre-order TRAITOR by Amanda McCrina OR request it from your local library to receive pre-order goodies (details forthcoming). (ends 8/24)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @KalynJosephson is giving away a preorder of THE CROW RIDER.
- @bookish_heights is giving away your choice of one of her favorite books.
- @xCrini is giving away A PALE LIGHT IN THE BLACK
- @umutreviews is doing a Christmas giveaway of a stack of books!
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the November 2019 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway, and the December Discussion Challenge and Giveaway.
- Head over to SFFBookBonanza for a chance to win a Mega Book Gift Basket!
- Head over to Drizzle and Hurricane Books for a chance to win Loveboat, Taipei
- Head over to The Candid Cover for a chance to win a Copy of Night of Knives + an Exclusive Pin
- Lots of blogs participating in the Dashing Giveaway Hop!
- Lots of blogs participating in the December of Books Giveaway Hop! (And For What It’s Worth has combined it with a 10-year blogoversary giveaway!)
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for a chance to win a hardcover copy of Reverie
- Head over to BookHounds for a chance to win THE MONSTER HYPOTHESIS
- Head over to Life Within the Pages for a chance to win ONE DAY AT DISNEY
- AJ @ Read All the Things is giving someone a $100 Book Shopping Spree for Christmas!!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win Read it Forward’s Favorite Reads of 2019!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I received a bunch of replies from you, but I had no idea you had so many to respond to. Wow! You are a replying beast. Congrats on the win! That book has my attention. I hope you and your family have a very wonderful holiday!
Yes, sorry if I was overwhelming your inbox. That’s another reason I really wish the plugin had an option to mark a comment as “finished” without replying in these circumstances—I feel bad when people get emails for a million comments that I’ve replied to at once, and some comments don’t really NEED a reply. I wish when I got overwhelmed I could just reply to the ones that people actually might want to hear something back from me.
Yeah, I don’t have that plugin but WordPress sends me an email for each commentand I don’t delete the email until I respond. One plus is that gmail generally puts all the comments on one post together in one email so I can do one post at a time.
Merry Christmas and have a wonderful holiday season with family, great books and delicious eats.
Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post
I used to have email for all my comments, but that got overwhelming fast and they’d just get lost in the shuffle. I found this plugin, and it’s a great solution, but I DO wish they had the option to mark something done without actually replying in cases like this where I’ve gotten really far behind. Then I could just reply to certain comments and leave others.
I’m so bad at replying to the comments on my blog. I do visit the blogs of everybody who leaves a comment on my blog, but I haven’t had time to reply to the comments lately. Good luck with your Christmas Eve service! I hope you have a good Christmas!
I think there are periods that we all go through where we just can’t get to every comment to reply. And honestly, some comments don’t even need a reply—visiting back is probably more appreciated. (I always try to comment back—but I typically do it when I reply, so I was behind on that as well.)
I’m awful at replying to comments. Good at leaving comments on other blogs but bad at replying!
I think commenting back is actually more important. Some comments don’t even really warrant a reply. But I like the plugin because it helps me make sure I’m not forgetting about people who have visited me. I just wish there was a way I could mark some comments as “done” without actually replying. People really don’t NEED me to reply two months later to that comment they made about how they hope I had a good week. 🙂
I haven’t put a tree up for years! I did pull out a few other decorations this year though. I stopped reply to the comments on my blog (unless someone leaves a comment that needs a response) but I do try to visit their blog and comment there. There are only so many hours in the day.
Yeah, I’ve really struggled with how to handle replying—in general, I think commenting back is more important. But I do love that this plugin helps me make sure I’m not just plain missing and/or forgetting people who’ve visited me. I just wish there was a way to mark a comment as “done” without actually replying if it’s a comment that doesn’t warrant a specific reply (especially if I’m getting to it late).
When We were Magic looks good!
Wishing you a great reading week and a joyful holiday season!
I’m looking forward to reading that one!
When We Were Magic sounds great. Congrats on catching up on all the comments!
Krystianna @ Volumes and Voyages
Thank you! I hope I don’t get so behind again!!
Congrats on catching up with blog comments!
When We Were Magic looks adorable. I look forward to your thoughts on it.
Thanks!! Hopefully I don’t let myself get so far behind again!
You’ve had such a busy few months! About the only thing Iv’e kept up with the past few months is comments lol
Karen @ For What It’s worth
Well, I guess we’re opposites then. 🙂
I’ve so many un-replied comments. I keep telling myself that I’ll reply to all of them before the year ends, but the year is ending and I’m not sure how I’ll do that!!!!
At some point it starts to feel almost impossible to catch up.
I got When We Were Magic as well, can’t wait to read it. Hope you have a great Christmas!
It looks great—I’m excited for it!!
I spent weeks catching up in November on comments so I sympathise! It’s so easy to fall behind!
Well done on making the effort to catch up!
I hope you’ve been having a wonderful week!
It can feel sort of impossible to catch up once you get too far behind, so now I’m able to sigh in relief. 🙂
I hope you had a lovely Christmas, Nicole! When We Were Magic sounds really good – I hope you enjoy it.
Thank you, Lauren!! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years as well!
Oh it’s so, so easy to fall behind and terrible when you need to catch up, but the anxiety when you don’t catch up is overwhelming ahah. You’re doing amazing Nicole!
I hope you’ll have a lovely week <3
I feel like I’ll be perpetually behind with something. Basically, I catch up with one thing only to fall behind on another—it’s a cycle I’ve gotten used to, unfortunately. 🙂
One of my goals for 20202 is to reply to all my unreplied to comments and I have some from early 2019. So don’t worry, I completely understand about wanting to go back and reply to them all! And I hope you had a fantastic Christmas with your family and at church 🙂
Ha! Well, I guess I can be happy that mine didn’t go back that far. 🙂