The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
This was a rough week for me. First I had insomnia for a few days, which left me feeling fuzzy and headachy. I was hoping to get another post up this week, but I couldn’t work at my computer because I found that my eyes couldn’t focus and then my headache would get worse and I’d get nauseous.
Then, I finally got four good hours of sleep (with the help of Tylenol PM), and it turned out it was a good thing because I had to rush my dad to the ER the next day when he had a stroke. It was looking very grim—both his receptive and expressive language were incredibly impaired and he was constantly confused. He couldn’t answer even basic questions like his name and birthdate or follow very basic instructions for well over 24 hours.
But, then, last night we had some signs of hope when he suddenly turned a corner and seemed to realize what was happening and even knew what day it was (and that they were supposed to be leaving for Florida—obviously that trip is not happening now). If you’re a believer in God, you might be interested to hear that this very sudden turnaround came just as the entire worship, tech and leadership team at my church was praying for him.
I’m heading back to the hospital this morning, so hopefully I’ll find out that the progress has continued.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Book-Related Anxiety. It’s a Thing (and I Have It). Let’s Discuss.
- February 2020 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway
- March 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- March 1st – The Heart of a Book Blogger‘s Blogoversary
- March 2nd – Pink Polka Dot Books‘ Blogoversary
- March 4th – Reader Voracious‘s Blogoversary
- March 6th – Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA‘s Birthday
No time for pictures this week!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- The gals at Paper Procrastinators share a hilarious post with the Top Ten Life Skills They’ve Gained From Reading
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight admits she’s Reevaluating Fantasy
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!) Listed in order of release date. Any new deals I added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order ANNA K by Jenny Lee to receive a twin hearts hair barrette. (US only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE VANISHING DEEP by Astrid Scholte to receive an exclusive waterproof phone pouch! (US only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE MIDNIGHT LIE by Marie Rutkoski to receive an art print signed by Marie! (US only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order WICKED AS YOU WISH by Rin Chupeco to receive a signed bookplate and an enamel pin. The first 500 submissions will also receive a character card of the book’s main character, Tala. (US/CAN only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order WITCHES OF ASH AND RUIN by E. Latimer from Books Inc. to receive a signed, personalized copy and witchy enamel pin. (ends 3/2)
- Pre-order HAVENFALL by Sara Holland to receive a silver key necklace and a “DO NOT DISTURB WHILE READING” door hanger bookmark! (US, Can, UK, Ire, Ind, Aust, NZ)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order CHAIN OF GOLD by Cassandra Clare to receive a limited edition wooden bookmark! (UK & ROI only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order CRESCENT CITY: HOUSE OF EARTH AND BLOOD by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive art print! (US, Can, UK, ROI, AUS, NZ, and India)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE KINGDOM OF BACK by Marie Lu to receive a custom book pouch! (US only)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order THE QUEEN BEE AND ME by Gillian McDunn to receive a set of 30 bookmarks and 30 bee erasers. (US & Can)(ends 3/2)
- Pre-order BONE CRIER’S MOON by Kathryn Purdie to receive an 11×17 poster of the book cover, a set of two double-sided bookmarks featuring the characters from the cover, and an autographed bookplate. (INT)(ends 3/3)
- Pre-order THE RAVEN AND THE DOVE by Kaitlyn Davis to receive an exclusive double-sided art print! Print pre-orders will also receive a bookmark and a signed bookplate/sticker to attach to your book. (US only)(ends 3/8)
- Pre-order MOST LIKELY by Sarah Watson to receive stickers. If you order from her local indie, you’ll also receive a signed bookplate and a special surprise! (ends 3/9)
- Pre-order DEFY THE SUN by Jessika Fleck OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a custom dye-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 3/9)
- Pre-order A PHOENIX FIRST MUST BURN by Patrice Caldwell to receive an exclusive enamel pin! (US only)(ends 3/9)
- Pre-order THE JABBERWOCKY PRINCESS by Cece Louise to receive two autographed bookmarks and a silver Forest Tales tree charm. (US only)(ends 3/11)
- Pre-order SPARROW by Mary Cecilia Jackson from Fountain Bookstore to receive a signed limited-edition bookplate and vellum bookmark and ballet charm. (ends 3/15)
- Pre-order THE ELECTRIC HEIR by Victoria Lee OR request it from your local library to receive an exclusive scene. Choose Hero to read an original Noam/Dara story set after TEH or Villain to read a young Calix + Adalwolf Lehrer novella deleted from TFK. (INT)(ends 3/16)
- Pre-order ALL YOUR TWISTED SECRETS by Diana Urban OR request it from your local library to receive a key necklace, a signed bookmark, a signed bookplate, and access to an exclusive author Q&A on 3/17. (US only)(ends 3/16)
- Pre-order DRAGON HOOPS by Gene Luen Yang to receive a downloadable print-at-home Gene Luen Yang READ poster. You’ll also be entered to win a limited edition Dragon Hoops mini backboard. (US/Can only)(ends 3/17)
- Pre-order THE DERBY DAREDEVILS by Kit Rosewater OR request it from your local library to receive a special letter about the pre-order (or libraries being awesome) and some fun facts about the book, a bookmark featuring a Daredevils player, an official roller derby glossary, and a blank postcard for dropping a line to friends. Pre-orders will also receive a signed bookplate and a die-cut sticker of the Daredevils logo! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 3/23)
- Pre-order THE EDGE OF ANYTHING by Nora Shalaway Carpenter from Malaprop’s to receive a gorgeous postcard print of an original book-inspired piece of art, a bookmark, and a pop-up, inspirational note by Thoughtfulls. (INT)(ends 3/23)
- Pre-order MY LIFE AS A POTATO by Arianne Costner to receive a bookmark, a giant laminated potato bookmark, a super-potato sticker, and a signed bookplate (personalized with a potato pun). You’ll also be entered to win more prizes! (US only, but there is an INT giveaway for a book from TBD)(ends 3/23)
- ***Pre-order BETWEEN BURNING WORLDS by Jessica Brody & Joanne Rendell to receive a set of System Divine Collector Cards (3 character cards + 1 world card); an autographed bookplate, signed by both authors; and a Behind-the-Book Digital Features Pack. (INT digital items, US physical items)(ends 3/23)
- Pre-order DRAGONFLY MAID by D.D. Croix to receive 2 signed bookmarks, a dragonfly charm card, postcard, and quote sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only)(ends 3/24)
- Pre-order MARY UNDERWATER by Shannon Doleski to receive a signed bookplate, a sticker, a magnet, a bookmark, and a chance to name a dog (in the author’s WIP). (ends 3/31)
- Pre-order A SONG BELOW WATER by Bethany C. Morrow to receive a limited-edition “Young. Black. (Secretly Magical.)” enamel pin! (US/Can)(ends 6/1)
- Pre-order CRAVE by Tracy Wolff to receive a “CARPE KILL-EM” To-Do-List notepad! Plus you’ll be entered to win Apple Airpods. (US only)(ends 4/1)
- Pre-order SWORD IN THE STARS by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy to receive a Knights of the Rainbow enamel pin, a signed bookplate, and a digital bonus short story featuring the book’s characters. (US only)(ends 4/6)
- ***Pre-order CHECK PLEASE! BOOK 2: STICKS & SCONES by Ngozi Ukazu to receive an Eric Bittle pregame playlist poster! (US/Can)(ends 4/6)
- Pre-order THE PERFECT ESCAPE by Suzanne Park OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookplate, and a sticker sheet and bookmark designed by the talented Korean-Am artist Lela Lee. (ends 4/7)
- Pre-order THE LUCKY ONES by Liz Lawson OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, and $1 donated in your name to Sandy Hook Promise. US pre-orders will also be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 4/7)
- Pre-order TO SLEEP IN A SEA OF STARS by Christopher Paolini to receive a mystery item! (US/Can)(ends 4/14)
- Pre-order TIME OF OUR LIVES by Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka to receive an exclusive “Write Your Love Story” pen set! (US only)(ends 4/20)
- ***Pre-order RICK by Alex Gino for a chance to win a Be Who You Are watercolor painted by the author. (ends 4/20)
- ***Pre-order LET’S GO TO TAEKWONDO! by Aram Kim from Books of Wonder to receive a personalized, signed copy of the book. On top of that, first 50 people who order through the link will receive a linocut character print! (ends 4/27)
- Pre-order HEARING HAPPINESS: DEAFNESS CURES IN HISTORY by Jaipreet Virdi or request it from your local library to receive a limited edition retro hearing aid advertisement button a limited edition retro hearing aid advertisement button (first 100 submissions). You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (ends 4/30)
- Pre-order DARK SKIES by Danielle L. Jensen to receive a character art dust jacket & signed bookplate (US/Can hardcover preorders). Or 4×6 character art postcard & signed bookplate (INT preorders and US/Can ebook or audiobook preorders). (INT)(ends 5/4)
- Pre-order KEEP IT TOGETHER, KEIKO CARTER by Debbi Michiko from Bank Square Books to receive a signed book, a bookmark, and an exclusive Keiko Carter-themed button. In addition, each book you preorder will gain you entry for a grand prize drawing. (ends 5/4)
- Pre-order THE EXTRAORDINARIES by TJ Klune to receive a limited-edition enamel pin! (US & Can)(ends 5/4)
- ***Pre-order THE LIFE AND (MEDIEVAL) TIMES OF KIT SWEETLY by Jamie Pacton OR request it from your local library to receive three stickers, an art print of Kit and her friends, and a bookmark. The first US pre-orders will also receive a medieval-knight rubber duck and a nametag. Plus, all pre-orders will be entered to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 5/4)
- Pre-order ALWAYS HUMAN by Ari North to receive an exclusive digital bonus comic. Plus, there will be chances for more goodies depending on the number of people who pre-order! Hardcover preorders will also receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and a postcard print. (ends 5/18)
- Pre-order THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES by Suzanne Collins from Book People to receive a limited-edition Hunger Games patch. (ends 5/18)
- Pre-order KAMALA AND MAYA’S BIG IDEA by Meena Harris from a listed indie bookstore to receive a limited-edition Phenomenal Girl t-shirt! (ends 6/1)
- ***Pre-order THE DAMNED by Renée Ahdieh to receive an exclusive skull bracelet! (US only)(ends 6/1)
- Pre-order CEMETERY BOYS by Aiden Thomas to receive 5 Character Cards featuring Yadriel, Julian, Maritza and Lady Death, and a signed bookplate. 50 random US preorders will also receive a limited edition pin! (INT)(ends 6/15)
- Pre-order THE EMPIRE OF GOLD by S.A. Chakraborty to receive a set of six pins featuring the tribal sigils of each tribe of Daevabad! (US only)(ends 6/29)
- Pre-order UNRAVEL THE DUSK by Elizabeth Lim to receive swag (to be announced later). (US only for now–but check back in future)(ends 7/13)
- Pre-order TRAITOR by Amanda McCrina OR request it from your local library to receive pre-order goodies (details forthcoming). (ends 8/24)
- Pre-order SCRITCH SCRATCH by Lindsay Curry to receive access to the exclusive content section of the author’s website, which includes a “sleuth sheet” to help solve the mysteries, a downloadable poster, a crossword puzzle and more! You’ll also be entered to win other prizes. (INT)(ends 8/31)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @LzLwsn is giving away any YA debut coming out 4/7!
- @Literary_Tara is giving away ALL THE STARS AND TEETH Owlcrate edition signed, plus special goodies.
- @Jess__Red is giving away an ARC of @HeatherKassner’s THE FOREST OF STARS plus an ARC of QUINTESSENCE & a copy of THE MIRACULOUS!
- @alliewithbooks is giving away a book from The Book Depository
- @gingernightowl is doing a MYSTERY 2020 ARC GIVEAWAY
- @LauraGenn is giving away Wilder Girls by @itsrorypower and Slay by @BrittneyMMorris
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the February or March 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway. You can also enter to win Red Hood. Plus THREE 7th Blogoversary Giveaways of Any Book You Want!!
- Fierce Reads is giving away a hardcover copy of The Midnight Lie, an art print signed by Marie Rutkoski, and curated prize pack.
- Head over to Word Spelunking for a chance to win Dream Big, Little Scientists
- Head over to Star-Crossed Book Blog for a chance to win The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win THE LIFE BELOW by Alexandra Monir
- Head over to Savings in Seconds for a chance to win one of three signed finished copies of WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE
- Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature gives away three books from her ARC/Books for Trade shelves each week
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I hope your dad continues to improve!
I get insomnia sometimes also, I’ve heard melatonin helps but I haven’t tried it yet.
Enjoy your week ahead.
I tried melatonin and it didn’t really do anything for me. Tylenol PM helped a bit more, though.
Sorry about your dad. I hope he keeps getting better!
Thank you, AJ! He has improved a lot. Now if we can just get him to pay attention to doctor’s orders…
I’m glad to hear that your dad seems to be doing better. I hope he keeps getting better.
Yes, he has continued to improve. Thank you!
I’m sending you and your family all the love and hope your dad keeps getting better! <3 <3 <3
Thank you! He has continued to improve!
Oh my goodness…..sending so many positive thoughts and healing vibes at your dad! Take care of yourself and rest when you can!
Thank you, Lisa! He’s been doing well, so I’m very thankful.
Thoughts and prayers going out to your dad and your family. ((HUGS))
Prayer is so powerful! I’ll be keeping you all in mine. I pray your next update will be excellent news.
Thank you, Danielle! I really appreciate your prayers.
Oh, love! I’ll be praying for your dad to continue to get better. I’m a believer and I KNOW prayer makes a difference! Praying the best for you family!
Thank you so much! He has improved even more since he got out of the hospital, so we have high hopes that life will get back to complete normal soon.
Ugh, sorry to hear about your dad! That’s scary. I hope the improvement continues!
Thank you! He is doing a lot better!
So sorry to hear about your dad! That’s awful, but I am so glad to hear he was coming around the other day! That’s a relief!
It was funny you mentioned insomnia, because I swear at times I feel like I have it. I can’t fall asleep as easily and have had to use sleep aids every night. Of course, I’m waking up earlier than my standard early to help my mom take care of her dogs while she’s recovering from a surgery. Losing 20 minutes apparently takes it toll on me by the end of the week and while I wanted so desperately to go to bed early Friday night, I couldn’t because said dogs decided to be extra needy that night. Let’s just say, it’s going to be a very long 6 weeks. One week down though!
I hope you enjoy whatever reads you got this week! I’ll be sure to get your new copy of Cinder at the signing this week!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Hope the six weeks is going better than it started out. I tend to get insomnia lately before my period, but it’s usually only for a night or two and it isn’t usually this bad. This time it lasted for a whole week and there were days that I felt like I didn’t sleep AT ALL. I was so bleary all the time. I really hope this isn’t going to be a trend!
I’m so sorry to hear about your dad! How scary. Glad to hear he’s turned a corner though, and yes I do believe prayer makes a difference. Sometimes I think it’s no coincidence…
Sending lots of well wishes that he makes a full recovery or as full as possible! Take care this week.
Yeah, I don’t believe much in coincidences. He’s definitely gotten much better!
Such scary news about your dad! I’m keeping you in my thoughts and sending lots of healing vibes his way!
Oh wow, I’m sorry to hear about your dad. That’s great that he’s starting to be more aware though – I hope that he continues to improve!! And I hope that you get some much needed sleep!!
He has improved even more—such a relief!
Oh my goodness, Nicole, how very scary about your dad. I’m so sorry that he and your family are dealing with this. He (and you) are very much in thoughts and I hope the situation continues to improve. Take care.
Sorry to hear about your dad but I’m glad he’s making some progress! You’re all in my thoughts!
I’m a long term sufferer of insomnia and mine has flared up again as well… so I can relate to those feelings a lot. I am sorry you experienced them though 🙁 I also am really sorry about the news about your dad! I am glad that he seems to be taking a turn for the better (the power of God, truly) and I hope he only continues to recover more and more.
I’ve definitely had insomnia in the past, but this was the first time that it persisted for so long and made me feel so miserable during the day. I’m glad it finally ended!
Hope your father’s doing well! I have some experience with aphasia (saying the wrong word due to stroke,) and confusion related to strokes, through both of my grandfathers, so if you ever need to talk to someone who’s been there, feel free to DM me on Twitter (don’t be offended if I don’t reply straight away – I only check it about once a day, but I’ll get back to you when I can!)
Thanks so much for the offer of support! He’s been doing well since getting out of the hospital, but it’s nice to know I have a resource out there of someone who understands!!