The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
- We watched:
- My daughter Danielle and I just started season five of The 100. I’m still really enjoying watching the series again. It gives such a different perspective to know what’s coming.
- I also watched several episodes of Indian Matchmaking. I like Married at First Sight, and arranged marriages sort of seem like a more “real” version of that. It’s very interesting to see how arranged marriages work (or at least one way that they work).
- My daughter Danielle and I made a birthday present for my husband. You can see it in my latest junk art post (even though it’s not actually junk art).
- I started reading Cinderella Is Dead, and I’m loving it, but I don’t feel like I’ve gotten out of my slump yet, so the going is slow.
- Blogging. I only got one post up, but I’ve been working my way through the discussions linked up in the discussion challenge, so I feel like that’s meeting my “blogging” criteria. I’m giving myself a lot of grace lately, but that’s just how it has to be.
- School decisions. We found out that the high school is going to be online only (at least to start with) next year. My daughter was pretty disappointed, but honestly I don’t know how else they would manage things. First of all, any student who’s exposed to COVID would have to go under a mandatory 14-day quarantine (even if they tested negative)—dealing with kids constantly out would be a nightmare. And then one person wrote a letter to the school board (they had a Zoom board meeting and read as many letters out loud as they could) that really rubbed me the wrong way. This person said basically, “If you don’t open the schools, just admit that you’re doing it for the teachers and the staff and not due to what’s best for the students.” I thought this was a really weird statement to make. Admit that they care about human beings that are not teenagers? How horrible! Why should anyone have to “admit” that they don’t want teachers and staff to get very sick or possibly die?
- Digit! I know you all want my weekly Digit pics. In my month wrap-up next week I’ll post another “before and after” pic. 🙂
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- July 31st – Bee @ Bee Writes Things‘ Birthday
- August – Shooting Stars Mag‘s Blogoversary
- August 1st – Keep Reading Forward‘s Blogoversary
I received The Black Kids by Christina Hammonds Reed. This amazing cover was created by Lucy Ruth Cummins. I’ll be participating in a blog tour for this one in August, so be on the lookout! Thanks, S&S!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Wendy @ Falconer’s Library talks about Goodreads Alternatives
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books gives us song lyrics she would love to see turned into books and trigger warnings in books and why they matter to her.
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!) Listed in order of release date. Any new deals I added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order DEAL WITH THE DEVIL by Kit Rocha to receive access to a secret website that contains a ton of goodies, including high resolution annotated maps, character sketches, downloadable digital wallpaper for your phone or desktop, an exclusive preview of book #2 AND an invitation to an exclusive livestream video Q&A with Donna & Bree! If you preorder from The Ripped Bodice or Love’s Sweet Arrow, you’ll also get an autographed bookplate, various Mercenary Librarian & Kit Rocha stickers & swag, and a custom handmade replica of the necklace worn in the book by the heroine. (INT)(ends 7/27)
- Pre-order A WICKED MAGIC by Sasha Laurens OR request it from your local library to receive a 5×7 sticker sheet, a signed bookplate and a bookmark. (ends 7/27)
- Pre-order THE FAITHLESS HAWK by Margaret Owen to receive a beautiful poster featuring the characters from The Merciful Crow duology designed by the author herself! (US/CAN)(ends 7/27)
- ***Pre-order THE LIVING DEAD by George A. Romero and Daniel Kraus to receive an 11″ x 17″ poster. (US/CAN)(ends 8/3)
- ***Pre-order THE GAME by Linsey Miller OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and an enamel pin. (INT)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order PRELUDE FOR LOST SOULS by Helene Dunbar from Parnassus Books to receive a set of character cards and a bookmark. (INT)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order THE END OF EVERYTHING (ASTROPHYSICALLY SPEAKING) by Katie Mack to receive an opportunity to submit a question to be possibly answered in a Q&A video (and exclusive access to the video), a signed bookplate, and a chance to receive an end-of-universe themed pin (if your question is chosen for the Q&A). (US only)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order IGNITING DARKNESS by Robin Lafevers to receive an enamel pin (hardcover only). (US only)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order LOBIZONA by Romina Garber (AKA Romina Russell) to receive a set of 5 Lobizona buttons! (US/CAN)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order CATTYWAMPUS by Ash Van Otterloo from Ballast Books for a signed copy with a brief note from the author. The first fifty pre-orders from that store will include one special vinyl swag sticker. ALL pre-orders and library requests can be entered to win a giveaway! (giveaway ends 8/1 at 12 PM)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order A SONG BELOW WATER by Bethany C. Morrow to receive a limited-edition “Young. Black. (Secretly Magical.)” enamel pin! (US/Can)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order MIDNIGHT SUN by Stephenie Meyer from Dymocks to receive a free pin! (ends 8/4)
- Pre-order DANGEROUS REMEDY by Kat Dunn for a chance to win a complete candle collection from Candles Kitchen. (ends
- Pre-order CINDERELLA IS DEAD by Kalynn Bayron to receive an enamel pin! (US ended)(ends 8/5 – UK/ROI)(ends 8/31 – AUS/NZ)
- Pre-order EVA EVERGREEN, SEMI-MAGICAL WITCH by Julie Abe to receive 1 of 3 limited edition Eva & Ember vinyl stickers, a bookmark, and a signed bookplate (hardcover orders only). (INT)(ends 8/8)
- Pre-order YOU HAD ME AT HOLA by Alexis Daria OR request it from your local library to receive exclusive access to a webtoon-style comic of Jasmine and Ashton’s meet cute! The first 75 print preorders made through Love’s Sweet Arrow will also receive a SIGNED copy and an acrylic charm keychain of Ashton and Jasmine. (ends 8/10)
- Pre-order CRY OF METAL & BONE by L. Penelope OR request it from your local library to receive bookmarks, stickers, a signed, personalized bookplate, and the bonus epilogue (ebook only). (INT)(ends 8/10)
- Pre-order ALL OUR WORST IDEAS by Vicky Skinner to receive a playlist made by the author and the chance to win cool stuff! (INT)(ends 8/10)
- Pre-order TODAY TONIGHT TOMORROW by Rachel Lynn Solomon OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, three gorgeous character art postcards (library requests will receive one postcard chosen at random), Free Puppies! vinyl sticker, and a digital short story from Neil’s POV. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 8/11)
- ***Pre-order BODY TALK: 37 VOICES EXPLORE OUR RADICAL ANATOMY edited by Kelly Jensen to receive a bookmark and a sticker. Certain pre-orders will also be entered to win giveaways. (US only)(ends 8/17)
- Pre-order RAYBEARER by Jordan Ifueko to receive a limited edition enamel pin and a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 8/17)
- Pre-order VICIOUS SPIRITS by Kat Cho to receive an exclusive fox spa mask. (US only)(ends 8/17)
- Pre-order BOOKISH AND THE BEAST by Ashley Poston to receive a new, exclusive short story and signed bookplate! (INT)(ends 8/18)
- ***Pre-order KIND OF A BIG DEAL by Shannon Hale to receive an enamel pin inspired by the book. (US only)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order BRIGHT RAVEN SKIES by Kristina Perez to receive a key chapter of WILD SAVAGE STARS written from Ruan’s point of view! Orders from One More Page Books or Forbidden Planet receive an exclusive bookplate that matches the cover art. (INT)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order IRONSPARK by C.M. McGuire to receive a signed bookmark and Ironspark sticker. You’ll also be entered to win additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order WHERE DREAMS DESCEND by Janella Angeles to receive an art print illustrated by Alexis Castellanos! (US/CAN)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order TRAITOR by Amanda McCrina OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and 2 character cards featuring original art by Jaria Rambaran. (ends 8/24)
- Pre-order INK & SIGIL by Kevin Hearne to receive a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order THE ASSIGNMENT by Liza Weimer to receive a HumanKIND Welcome Here! decal. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only)(ends 8/25)
- Pre-order AS THE SHADOW RISES by Katy Rose Pool to receive an enamel pin based on the series. (US/CAN)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order BLOOD & HONEY by Shelby Mahurin to receive an art print (first 100), and a digital eBook of “goodies” (first chapter annotated; deleted content; character art; playlists; and a short excerpt from book 3). (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order ROAD OUT OF WINTER by Alison Stine OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a custom, enamel skateboard pin. (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order HUNTED BY THE SKY by Tanaz Bhathena to receive a signed character postcard featuring Gul and Cavas and a bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (US/CAN)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order SHORT & SWEET by Josh Funk (illustrated by Brendan Kearney) from a participating indie bookstore to receive four collectors’ cards – AND an autographed bookplate! (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order THE JEALOUSY OF JALICE by Jesse Nolan Bailey to receive a 5×9 print of Flayer, a Bloodspill enamel pin, and TJOJ Bookmark. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order SCRITCH SCRATCH by Lindsay Curry to receive access to the exclusive content section of the author’s website, which includes a “sleuth sheet” to help solve the mysteries, a downloadable poster, a crossword puzzle and more! You’ll also be entered to win other prizes. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order THIS IS A SEAHORSE by Cassandra Federman from An Unlikely Story to receive a signed bookplate and beautiful seahorse painting. (ends 8/31)
- ***Pre-order RECOMMENDED FOR YOU by Laura Silverman to receive a tote bag (US only), a pin, and a bookmark. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order ALL EYES ON HER by L.E. Flynn OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark, a sticker sheet with designs and quotes from the book, and exclusive deleted scenes. (INT)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE BLACKSTONE RITUAL by Swearingen Durham to receive an enamel pin. (US, but there will be a giveaway for two INT pre-orders)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order NOW THAT I’VE FOUND YOU by Kristina Forest OR request it from your local library to receive a custom Evie and Milo diner scene print, a custom made map of New York City featuring book-specific locations, and a bookmark. (US only)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE HUNGRY GHOST by H.S. Norup from Closetful of Books to receive a signed, personalized bookplate. (Singapore)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order CEMETERY BOYS by Aiden Thomas to receive 5 Character Cards featuring Yadriel, Julian, Maritza and Lady Death, and a signed bookplate. 50 random US preorders will also receive a limited edition pin! (INT)(ends 9/1)
- ***Pre-order DRAGON SLAYERS by Lisa McMann to receive a signed poster. (US/CAN)(ends 9/7)
- Pre-order PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke to receive a tote bag and bookmark. (USA, Canada, UK, ROI, India, AUS and NZ)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order SURRENDER YOUR SONS by Adam Sass to receive a 4×6 postcard featuring a character adventure poster and a list of 10 clues to guide you as you unravel the dark mysteries within Nightlight, a digital collection of the entire prequel novella, THE SEARCH FOR DREW SCHREIBER, and a custom signed bookplate. Plus, you’ll have a chance to win more. (INT)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order THE PARIS SECRET by Natasha Lester from Book People to receive an exclusive postcard! In addition, each pre-order will be automatically entered to win 1 of 5* $50 BookPeople gift cards! (ends 9/14)
- Pre-order EACH OF US A DESERT by Mark Oshiro to receive a limited edition art print! (US/CAN)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order YOU’LL FIND ME by Amanda Rawson Hill to receive digital resources to help you stay connected with your loved ones. You’ll also receive the supplies to make “You’ll Find Me” braided bracelets with a small charm. Plus $1 will be donated to the International Rescue Committee! (ends 9/21)
- ***Pre-order FAR FROM NORMAL by Becky Wallace to receive 3 character stickers, a postcard, a bookmark, and a personalized signed bookmark. (US only)(ends 9/22)
- Pre-order CROWNCHASERS by Rebecca Coffindaffer to receive character cards. (ends 9/28)
- Pre-order A NATURAL HISTORY OF FAIRIES by Emily Hawkins to receive download access to 3 random trading cards. (US/UK)(ends 9/22 UK, 9/28 US)
- Pre-order A NEON DARKNESS by Lauren Shippen to receive a limited edition art print! (US/CAN)(ends 9/28)
- Pre-order GIRL ON THE RUN by Abigail Johnson from Changing Hands Bookstore to receive a signed & personalized copy, a deluxe tassel bookmark, and an exclusive sticker. Plus, pick-up orders will receive a *BONUS* custom lip balm. (ends 10/5)
- Pre-order SHADE AND BONE [COLLECTOR’S EDITION] by Leigh Bardugo to receive a Grishaverse vegan leather bookmark. If you preorder Shadow and Bone: The Collector’s Edition AND The Lives of Saints, you’ll receive a set of Grishaverse pencils in a branded tin case. (US only)(ends 10/5)
- Pre-order ATTACK SURFACE by Cory Doctorow to receive a free digital and audio copy of a brand new digital short. (US/CAN)(ends 10/12)
- ***Pre-order WARMAIDENS by Kelly Coon OR request it from your local library to receive a Maiden’s Tonic mocktail card and a WARMAIDENS bookmark. Pre-orders will also receive a scorpion laptop sticker, a signed bookplate, and a 5 x 7 quote print of your choice. (You’ll choose when uploading your proof of purchase.) (INT)(ends 10/27)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF THE WICKED by Kerri Maniscalco to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, and a pair of oracle cards. (INT with limitations)(ends 10/26)
- Pre-order RUINSONG by Julia Ember to receive a character art print, postcard and enamel pin. (US/CAN/UK)(ends 11/23)
- Pre-order THE GILDED ONES by Namina Forna to receive a gorgeous foiled & embossed limited edition print, plus a signed bookplate (first 250 preorders). (INT—excluding US, Philippines & CA)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order FRAGILE REMEDY by Maria Ingrande Mora OR request it from your local library OR create and share fanart to receive 3 character bookmarks featuring Alden, Reed, and Nate, and a holographic Queen of the Tinkers die-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered for additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 3/10)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @Laura_Griff is giving away an iPad & an early copy of HIDDEN.
- @bethanycrandell is giving away THE JAKE RYAN COMPLEX
- @SuzanneLipshaw is giving away 3 signed copies of I CAMPAIGNED FOR ICE CREAM. (ends 7/26)
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the July 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the June 2020 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway. You can also enter to win a pre-order of ALONE by Megan E. Freeman.
- Penguin Teen is doing a Comic-Con @ Home giveaway!
- Dutton Books is giving away a dozen chilling summer thrillers!
- Head over to Happy Indulgence for a chance to win your choice of ONE book they have reviewed in the past 12 months
- Head over to BookHounds YA for a chance to win THIS IS MY AMERICA, ORPHAN ELEVEN and more (check the site’s sidebar!)
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag for a chance to win a Summer Accordion Album. Plus, you (or your kids or teens) can participate in her summer reading challenge for a chance to win a book of choice.
- Lots of blogs participating in the July 2020 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Melissa Pearl is doing a Summer Reading Challenge and giving away a $25 Amazon Gift Card
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including $250 B&N Gift Card and A Year of Reading!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win The Butterfly Lampshade by Aimee Bender!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
It stinks that kids cannot return to school, but your kids have such an educational advantage over many of their peers, because they used to homeschool. I know a lot of parents who are completely lost in all this.
My daughter is in college but she only wants to do online even though she prefers to be in class and misses her friends. That’s weird because kids are getting sick too. And if one teacher or student gets it, how many exposed end up at home for at least 14 days then? It just isn’t going to be great.
I’m glad you have found some good reads and hope you have some reading time this week!
Exactly – I don’t see how in person school would really work. At least at the colleges, classes are spread out. Still, lots of students are getting sick—we’ll see how the school year goes.
That letter was simply awful! Some people just don’t understand how dangerous COVID-19 is — it is dangerous for professors, staff AND students (when it comes to children/teenagers, the numbers are increasing).
Yes, I was so frustrated when they read that letter—people are so selfish!
Bummer about your daughter’s high school. My university is online but tbh I don’t mind that at all. It will take me a while to be comfortable being in a public space for such a long period of time. That being said, I hope your daughter is able to see her friends soon!
My oldest’s college has been meeting in person for some of her classes, but most people aren’t going and are just watching online. She says maybe five people have gone to class.
My daughter was going to homeschool my 7 year old grandson until they found out that they decided to do online school for the time being. I’m glad they decided that. It makes no sense to send kids to school when the new cases of Covid are increasing.
How has school been going for your grandson?
That’s sad to hear about your school. I mean, closing is for the best interest of everyone. Especially if the teachers are of the older variety or have family members at home who are vulnerable. Protecting the kids is just as important too. I feel like this school year will be messy all over the country. My sister’s school is opening regularly and going to do the best they can on a daily basis and hope for the best with the precautions set.
Hope you enjoy your new read too! Hope your week is GREAT!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Online school has been working out well so far!
Wow, that letter is just so selfish. It’s not just about the kids, and even kids can get really sick from COVID, so it’s about humanity in general. I’m sorry your daughter is upset though – I can understand how tough online school must be, especially for high school. We can only hope things get better soon.
I’m so curious about The Black Kids! I hope you enjoy it – can’t wait to see your post.
Yeah, that letter really aggravated me!
My teenage brothers also got a letter from the school this week. They are being given two options: 1.) they can do 50% in person and 50% online classes, so I guess they’d only be going to school 2-3 times a week, or 2.) they can do 100% online. One of my brothers made a really good point about going back to school in person… how are they going to deal with lunch time and those 5-10 minutes between classes when it’s basically inevitable for the students to bump shoulders?? Personally, I think going back to school in person is a terrible idea, but then again, I am incredibly paranoid when it comes to this virus. My thinking is better safe than sorry. But on the other hand, I can’t imagine how hard it is for the kids psychologically, not being able to interact in person with friends. It’s a hard time. I’m glad our district is giving the kids and option though. And I’m glad your district is starting off with online too.
How has school been going for your brothers?
Super informative post, thank you! This was super helpful. I look forward to following your blog 🙂
Steph from Stepping Out Of The Page
That person who wrote that letter is an awful human being. Period. I can’t believe the people who think that teachers and staff should put their lives on the line for SCHOOL. School is not THAT important when it can be taught in other ways. Ugh. The nerve of some people. That letter writer should just admit that they care more about their kids having daycare than other people’s lives. Oh hi! I just got fired up about this! Lol. Thanks for calming me down with some Digit pics. 🙂
I totally agree. I was so mad when I heard them read that letter.
I’m so happy that my baby niece is too young for school. I really hope all this stuff is over by the time I need to make school decisions. I would have loved online school as a teenager, but I know it won’t work for all families.
My daughters are both doing great with it. My son needs a bit of prompting to do what he’s supposed to be doing, but that has been true no matter what. LOL!
I can’t believe that person writing that letter, ugh, seriously?? This is messed up.
I hope you’ll love Cinderella is Dead, I’m excited to hear your thoughts on it all 🙂
Take care of yourself <3