Top Twelve Books for Readers Who Love Dystopians/Fantasy/Paranormal
Okay, well there are some really obvious mainstream published favorites in these categories, but I’m not going to list any of those. I’m going to assume that if you love dystopians, fantasy or paranormal you already know about the big names.
Instead, I’m going to focus on lesser known, Indie or self-pubbed titles – I want to give you some new books to love! When I went to make this list, I had twelve books that jumped out at me, so I decided just to go with that.
- Sleepless by Tracey Ward – This book was SO unique and interesting – about a girl who has an ability she can’t control. She “Slips” during sleep – waking up in an unknown place and then having to find a way to get herself back home. Loved this book and writing this post has reminded me that I have to go buy the second book in the series!
- The Blooming Goddess Trilogy by Tellulah Darling – This series is a fun take on mythology with a great final message.
- You Are Mine by Janeal Falor – This book stirs up a little bit of controversy because of the way women are treated in the society that Falor created, but that’s kind of the point. I thought that the message was clear that the fact that women were second-class citizens was wrong. The second book in this series was great too (and the novella), but I especially adored the first!
- The Mind’s Eye by K.C. Finn – This is a historical paranormal that takes place during WWII – basically a fantastic combination!!
- The Prophecy by Erin Albert Rhew – I ADORED this fantasy novel – and just look at that shiny new cover!! (It’s WAY better than the old cover). Yes, it follows a lot of the typical fantasy tropes (there’s even a love triangle), but something about this one just stood out for me. I recently realized that the second book had come out and rushed to buy it! I’ll be reading that one very soon!
- The Sunshine Series by Nikki Rae – Looking for a darker take on the “I fell in love with a vampire” theme? Nikki Rae packs a lot of emotional punch into this series and she doesn’t let her characters off easy. This book is upper YA or NA territory.
- Chasing the Star Garden by Melanie Karsak – I haven’t read a ton of steampunk, but I loved this one!
- Blood Prince Series by Jennifer Blackstream – This series features adult fairy tale retellings with a paranormal twist – you get vamps, werewolves, incubi and more … and every book has been fantastic!
- The New World Series by Janelle Stalder – I love this NA dystopian series because of the blurred lines between the heroes and the villains!
- The Collectors’ Society by Heather Lyons – This book is a really unique retelling involving characters from tons of the old fairy tales and classics. I adored the way all of the stories were woven together! I just bought the second book in this series and can’t wait to read it!
- Broken World Series by Kate L. Mary – Like zombie books? Then you definitely have to check out this series. You’ve probably seen me rave about it in other top ten lists – it’s just an all-around great read! (UPDATE: The author let me know that the first book in this series is free until March 12th, so go grab it now!)
- Carrier by Anne Tibbets – This book was a really intense dystopian – but also amazing! I won the second book in the series and can’t wait to read it. I’ve heard it’s just as incredible as the first.
So, what books make your all-time favorites list?