Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
First of all, today is my husband’s 40th birthday. Happy birthday, Scott!!!
I spent most of this week feeling under the weather. Both my daughter and I managed to catch a summer cold, and I can’t quite shake it completely. I’m ready to be done with it now …
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog:
- August Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- Top Ten Books I’d Buy if Someone Handed Me a Loaded Gift Card
- The Memory Book by Lara Avery – My Black Sheep Review (& Giveaway) – Still time to enter to win my ARC of the book!
- What Do You Think of Goodreads’ New Look? Let’s Discuss!
- July Recap & Best of the Bunch
Next week on FYFA:
- Just a Girl by Ellie Cahill – Review
- July Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway
- Let’s Discuss – something bookish!
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
A few blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll visit these bloggers and congratulate them on their special days! Also, check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
- August 11th – Star-Crossed Book Blog‘s Blogoversary
- August 12th – Yellow, Green, and Read All Over‘s Blogoversary
- August 13th – Caffeinated Book Reviewer’s Blogoversary
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some of my favorite posts I read this week:
- Rachel over at Confessions of a Book Geek tells us the facts about eBooks vs Paper Books AND she gives us this humorous and informative Ultimate Book Geek Glossary.
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight gives us a fun quiz in Anxious Action Readers Unite!
- Charlotte over at Bookmarks and Blogging talks about the age-old question of Book or Film First?
- Head over to Leave a Mark Auctions (which is run by Lauren over at Shooting Stars Mag) and bid on an autographed copy of The Martian by Andy Weir. Proceeds go to charity!
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things and Dark Dreams and Dead Things by Martina McAtee – Review & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win a $25 gift card!
- July Discussion Challenge Link-Up and Giveaway! – Last chance to link up your July discussions and enter to win!
- Pre-order METALTOWN by Kristen Simmons and you can enter to win one of four fabulous prize packs!
- Pre-order A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT by Sabaa Tahir to receive an Ember in the Ashes tote!
- Pre-order FALLING FREE by Shannan Martin and get some fun (and unique!) freebies!
- Pre-order AS I DESCENDED by Robin Talley to receive bookmarks and stickers featuring the book’s beautiful cover, plus a signed bookplate!
- Pre-order STEALING SNOW by Danielle Paige to receive a compact mirror!
- Pre-order Sarah J. Maas’s EMPIRE OF STORMS to receive a ToG notebook and/or preorder THE THRONE OF GLASS COLORING BOOK and get a ToG coloring pencils set!!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
There are a crazy number of giveaways going on around the blogosphere this week!!!
- Ali over at Arctic books is celebrating her blogoversary with a giveaway!
- Star-Crossed Book blog has two giveaways going for their blogoversary (and I think there might be more) – a chance to win The Distance Between Us by Kasie West and The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa.
- Joy over at JOYOUSREADS is giving away a $100 Gift Card for her five year bogoversary!!
- ANOTHER blogoversary!! (There are so many right now!) – Lisa @ Lisa Loves Literature is celebrating her 7th blogoversary with a giveaway!!
- Clean Teen Publishing is doing a back-to-school giveaway!
- Tonyalee over at Lilybloombooks has created a Middle Grade Madness link-up. Link-up your reviews of middle grade books (or comment on linked reviews) and enter to win one! You can link up August reviews here.
- Head over to Rebel Mommy Book Blog for a chance to win a copy of Everything We Keep
- Head over to Read Write Love28 for a chance to win a Swag Pack including LIMITED postcards, buttons, and stickers for Girl in Pieces
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win a set of signed Alienated Series posters!
- Head over to 125 Pages for a chance to win a Trade Paperback Copy of The Edge of Lost
- Enter to win a signed copy of It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover!
- Head over to Fiction Fare for a chance to win one of ten HEAR THE WOLVES Galleys
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag for a chance to win a complete autographed set of both IF YOU WERE ME AND LIVED IN … series, written by author Carole P. Roman. Plus, the grand prize winner will also receive a $50 Amazon gift card. (These sound like really cute books!)
- Head over to A GREAT Read for a chance to win one of two signed The Architect of Song paperbacks
- Enter to win an ARC of BLUE TIDE by Jenna-Lynne Duncan.
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Happy birthday to your husband! I hope you and your daughter start feeling better soon.
Thanks! I’m finally feeling better. My daughter seemed like she got better and then started sniffling again, and now my husband has it. Sigh. Summer colds are no fun!
Happy birthday to your hubby! Hope you feel better soon. Summer colds are the worst. Enjoy your new books and have a great week!
Wow Thanks for listing all those great giveaways! Have a great week!
You’re welcome! I actually love collecting the giveaways for my Sunday Post.
Getting a cold in the summer sucks! That is one thing I am not looking forward to this fall/winter. Hope you feel better and happy bday Scott! lol
I hope you feel better soon (and your daughter as well). Summer colds are the worst. Happy birthday to your husband! Thanks for all the fun links. Have a great week!
Birthday greetings to your husband! It sucks about the summer cold. The family was inflicted with it back in June so I know what it’s like. I hope both you and your daughter will feel better soon.
Thank you for mentioning my giveaway, Nicole!
Happy reading. 🙂
You’re welcome, and happy blogoversary once again!
Happy birthday to your husband! Hope you guys have a good time celebrating. A summer cold is the worst – particularly when kids are down too. Hopefully you’re able to rest enough and get rid of it for good soon. Have a great week!
My daughter is having her 40th birthday this coming week. Enjoy your hubby’s day.
It Started with Goodbye looks good….and I loved Spin and Forgotten. Enjoy!
Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES
I’m glad you loved Spin and Forgotten – I checked them both out on Goodreads and couldn’t resist requesting the audiobooks!
Happy birthday to your husband! I hope the colds allow for some celebrating. Summer colds are just evil.
Evil is a good word for it!
Summer colds are definitely no fun. Hope you’re feeling better… I hate being sick when it’s hot, just makes it more miserable. And happy birthday to your husband, hope it’s a great weekend! I haven’t explored the new Goodreads yet, I’m so behind on updating there. Maybe today I’ll go take a look… I’ve heard mixed things. I did log in just for a minute the other day and it didn’t look too bad…
I’m still liking Goodreads. Hope it works well for you!
Thank you for sharing, Nicole! R xx
You’re very welcome!
Summer colds are worst that winter colds. Hope you feel better! Nice haul too!
I’m a bit jealous that you got The Bronze Key. I requested the audiobook but, not unexpectedly since I’m so new, they never responded. Oh well, maybe I’ll get the next one. I have this one on hold at the library already and I am first in line, so hopefully I won’t have too long a wait.
How do you request audiobooks? Do you just email the publishers or is there a site like NetGalley or Edelweiss that you use? Hope you don’t mind me asking!
No, I don’t mind. There is a small NetGalley like site for audiobooks called Audiobook Jukebox. They have a fairly limited selection though. For this book, I just sent an email to the address listed on this page. Like I said, I didn’t receive a response so either it isn’t a valid address or I’m just too small to bother with. I have had a small amount of success by emailing other publishers at the contact address on their website.
Ugh. Summer colds are the absolute worst! My kids had a stomach virus this past weekend complete with fevers and puking. Also, really sucky.
Happy birthday to your husband!
Happy birthday to your husband. My fiance turned 40 this past Christmas. I have been feeling bad too. I have been sneezing and stuffy the past few days.My mother told me to take a Cold-EZ and I feel better now.
I’m finally feeling better, but now my husband caught it!
It Starts with Goodbye has such a cool cover, and it’s a book I haven’t seen or heard of before! Hope you had a good time celebrating your husbands birthday as well 🙂