Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
Well, everything’s settled with my husband’s job. He’s actually switching companies, and we’re happy with the decision, but it has been really stressful getting there. There were a lot of factors playing into it (including LOTS of guilt heaped on us), but we’re hoping that now that the decision’s made we can move on and all will be well. To make our week even rosier, both my daughter and I got sick. We both had a fever for a couple of days and then my daughter ended up with a sore throat and a rash on her hands and feet. Figured out it was hand foot and mouth. Anyway, hopefully I’ll be posting less whiny Sunday Posts from now on because I’ve decided life is going to be stress-free and pleasant from here on out. (I can decide that, right?)
In more fun news, last weekend I attended the YA Literature Conference (and Fandom Frenzy) at Anderson’s Bookshop. There were 33 YA authors there, including a few of my favorites like Jennifer Niven, Adam Silvera and Sharon Cameron. (Jennifer and Adam were also both keynote speakers, and I loved hearing from both of them)—plus, I was introduced to quite a few new-to-me authors. I’m going to try to get a recap of the conference up next week, and I’ll have a giveaway as well!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog this past week:
- Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven – Review
- Bite-Sized Reviews: Gemina, Our Chemical Hearts, The Lovely Reckless, Spindle
- I Don’t Do Scary (But Books Don’t Scare Me). Let’s Discuss!
Next week on FYFA:
- Time Traveling with a Hamster by Ross Welford – Review & Welford’s humorous list of Top Ten Addictions
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Just one blogoversary this week! Hope you’ll head over and wish Samantha many more years of blogging joy! Also, check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form!)
- October 19th – Book Minx’s Blogoversary
YA Lit Conference:
These are the books I bought at the YA Lit Conference, so these are all signed (Leigh Bardugo wasn’t at the conference, but they had a signed copy of the book, and I really wanted it, so …)
And these are the ARCs that my mom and I got from Fandom Frenzy.
So excited to get the audiobook version of this! Thank you, Macmillan Audio!
If you’d like to hear a clip, check it out here! (I’m sharing it with permission, of course)
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are some posts I especially loved this week:
- AJ @ Read All the Things explains why she doesn’t review ARCs
- Allison @ Alison’s Wonderland Recipes shares this super fun Edgar Allen Poe inspired recipe: Deviled Raven Eggs (There are more Halloween recipes on her blog too.)
- Lory @ Emerald City Book Review talks about How you build a following for an event.
- Puput @ Sparkling Letters tells us It’s NOT COOL to Hate on Books You Haven’t Read!
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed above)
- September Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway
- Remember Yesterday by Pintip Dunn – Still time to enter to win a Limited, Annotated Hardcover of the first book in the series!
- Wendy Darling: Seas by Colleen Oakes – Fall Favorite Things Blog Tour Spotlight & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win an ARC of the book!
- October Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
- Pre-order WAYFARER by Alexandra Bracken and receive a personalized holiday card from Bracken, as well as an 8×10 print.
- Preorder THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING by Jeff Giles to receive a keepsake metal bookmark!
- Pre-order THIS IS OUR STORY by Ashley Elston and get a pouch, signed bookmark, sticker, tattoo, pin, and deer antler necklace. Added bonus is that everyone will be automatically entered to win the mega prize: signed copies of The Rules for Disappearing, The Rules for Breaking, and This is Our Story.
- Pre-order DIE FOR YOU by Amy Fellner Dominy and receive a personalized signed copy of the book along with a hand-crafted necklace (while supplies last). Open most places internationally.
- Pre-order BLOOD FOR BLOOD by Ryan Graudin to receive Storm After Storm—a Wolf by Wolf digital short story in Adele Wolfe’s point of view.
- Pre-order GLITTER by Aprilynn Pike and get a fun Glitter swag bag!
- Pre-order DEAD GIRLS SOCIETY by Michelle Krys & get an invite to join the Society, a code to access exclusive content & signed poster!
- Pre-order HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer to get a Heartless branded magnetic bookmark.
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Shooting Stars Mag has several Harry Potter giveaways going on right now! You can enter to win Harry Potter Coasters, a Harry Potter Dreamcatcher, a Harry Potter Purse, and Harry Potter Ornaments.
- Lots of blogs participating in the October New Release Blog Hop!
- Check out Clean Teen Publishing’s Halloweenized covers and enter to win a $25 gift card!
- It Starts at Midnight just turned three and Shannon is celebrating with a giveaway!!
- Lots of blogs participating in the Fall into Romance Giveaway Hop!
- With Love for Books has MANY giveaways going on: Eight YA Books, Three book necklaces & a book of choice worth $10, and the Books to Movies Giveaway Hop! (just to name a few)
- Lilybloombooks hosts Middle Grade Madness, a link-up for MG reviews. Link up and enter to win a MG book! You can also head to her blog for a chance to win an autographed copy of Wishapick: Tickety Boo and the Black Trunk, the Wishapick: Tickety Boo and the Black Trunk soundtrack, and a Fitbit Alta
- Enter to win a trip to meet Marissa Meyer!
- The Bookavid is celebrating its two year blogoversary with a giveaway! Enter to be one of three people to win $20 worth of books from The Book Depository (INTL)
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!