Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
This week started out great, but then got strange fast. I’ll start with the good.
I’m writing this post from a swim meet again (on Saturday). We love swimming, but there’s lots of downtime. But that’s okay because that means I have plenty of time to write my Sunday Post today.
Last weekend, my daughter had a piano/voice recital and she also had a little ceremony because she was one of the winners of our library’s literary magazine contest. She wrote a really adorable short story for my homeschool writing class and entered it in the contest. I’m super proud and impressed with her writing skills (though her spelling is another story—good thing there’s spellcheck! LOL!). The fun thing is that our library actually lists her as an author now since they technically published the literary magazine. She can search for herself in our library’s catalog or in the world catalog and she comes up! (They also have like 30 copies that people can actually check out, even through interlibrary loan, which is really kind of cool.)
If you want to read her story and see a picture that she drew of our dog Bella (with big eyes, since that was the assignment for her art class), you can check it out here. (Can you tell I’m a proud mom, or what?)
Then the crazy thing happened. My house was robbed in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. We forgot to lock the back door before we went to bed apparently. My mom was staying over (as she often does) and she woke to someone walking around with an iPhone flashlight in the kitchen. At first she thought it was my husband coming down for some reason and using his iPhone so he didn’t wake her, but then the person came into the family room and shined the light right in her face a few times. He walked to a table and picked something up (which we later realized was my purse and some cash that I had sitting there) and then he walked around a little more and went back out the back door. My mom was, of course, frozen in fear and shock. When she was sure that she didn’t hear anything else, she went over to the back door and felt that someone had left wet footprints. He also left the storm door propped open. We called the police and they brought a dog and everything, but they didn’t find him. Apparently, he’s broken into several homes in the area when he finds doors unlocked.
The whole situation was more scary than anything. And of course, we had to replace all the locks in the house and get our car keys reprogrammed and replaced (since he had a copy and he obviously knows where we live!). And then there’s the pain of cancelling all the credit cards, etc. The important lesson here is make double sure you lock your doors and windows—you never know what can happen!
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog last week:
- Giveaway of the Gorgeous Juniper Books Edition of The Hunger Games Trilogy – Still time to enter to win this amazing special edition set, which retails for $99!
- The Best Kind of Magic by Crystal Cestari: Review, Giveaway & Cestari’s Top Ten Addictions – Still time to enter to win a copy of the book! (One giveaway per tour stop, so check them all out!)
- The Truth About Happily Ever After by Karole Cozzo: Review & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win a copy of the book!
- What You Need to Know Before You Open a NetGalley Account – If you’re already on NetGalley, I’d appreciate it if you’d share the post so that newbie bloggers will see it! 🙂
Next week on FYFA:
- Bite-Sized Reviews of the (start of) the Ruined and Gold Seer series (I actually already wrote this one. Can you believe it?)
- Star-Crossed by Barbara Dee: Review, Giveaway & Dee’s Top Ten Addictions
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Lots of birthdays and blogoversaries this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- May 21st – Karen @ KissinBlueKaren‘s Birthday
- May 23rd – Monica @ Tomes Project’s Birthday
- May 24th – Clara @ Lost in My Library‘s Birthday
- May 27th – Kirstie @ Upside-Down Books‘ Birthday
- May 27th – Paper Fury‘s Blogoversary
Thanks to Raven Books for Dead Ed in My Head!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Apparently I didn’t keep track this week!
I’m now putting these in order of release date to make it easier on myself (and you, I think). Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
- Pre-order BRANDED by Eric Smith and you’ll get a set of signed postcards of the covers, an Inked and Branded quote postcard set designed by author and illustrator Ashley Poston, and a handful of temporary tattoos! (ends 5/22)
- Pre-order DARK BREAKS THE DAWN by Sara B. Larson and get a signed bookmark (and you’ll be entered to win LOTS of other great prizes!!) (ends 5/29)
- Pre-order FOLLOW ME BACK by A.V. Geiger and receive a signed bookplate! You will also be entered to win a grand prize #EricThornObsessed backpack filled with fangirl themed goodies. (ends 6/5)
- Pre-order DIVIDING EDEN by Joelle Charbonneau and receive a signed postcard, a set of 4 stickers and a flashing LED ring. If you enter from a tour stop store, you’ll also be entered into a drawing to win 1 of 10 t-shirts. (ends 6/5)
- Pre-order ONCE AND FOR ALL by Sarah Dessen and receive a pocket planner and you’ll also be entered to win a trip for two to Emerald Isle, the beachside town that inspires the setting in Sarah’s books! (ends 6/6)
- Pre-order ROAR by Cora Carmack and receive a Skyfire pendant and Stormheart Chart in a cloth bag! (ends 6/12)
- Pre-order SALVAGED by Jay Crownover and receive an advance excerpt of DIGNITY and a Saints of Denver Doodle download to print at home. (ends 6/19)
- Pre-order MIDNIGHT JEWEL by Richelle Mead and receive nail decals inspired by The Glittering Court and a chance to win a basket of Richelle Mead’s favorite things. (ends 6/26)
- Pre-order ENIGMA by Tonya Kuper receive an Enigma swag pack, including a signed book plate, plus the possibility of lots of other goodies as well! (ends 6/30)
- Pre-order WASTE OF SPACE by Gina Damico and receive a bookmark, a magnet, and a 4″x6″ print of Damico’s original hand-drawn sketch of the spaceship’s schematics. (ends 7/11)
- Pre-order WARCROSS by Marie Lu and receive “Life After Legend” an exclusive short story set after the events of the Legend Series (ends 9/11)
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed with this week’s posts)
- It Started With Goodbye by Christina June: Review, Giveaway, and June’s Top Ten Addictions – Last chance to enter to win one of five copies of the book!
- April Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway – Visit people’s wrap-up posts and enter to win the giveaway! (No need to link up to be eligible for the giveaway.)
- May Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway – Link up your discussions here and enter the giveaway!
- Kill All Happies by Rachel Cohn: Review & Giveaway – Still time to enter to win my paperback ARC copy!
Latest FYFA Giveaway Winners!!:
- Nothing new to report this week!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- Megan over @ Book Birds is celebrating her 1st blogoversary and she’s giving you a chance to win a book from TBD to celebrate! (INT)
- Head over to Brittany’s Book Rambles for a chance to win a Set of Penguin Teen’s Game-Changers ARCs or one of 5 Copies of The One Memory of Flora Banks
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to enter FLYLeF’s 2nd anniversary giveaway. They’re giving away a one-month subscription box to Owl Crate or $35 Amazon gift card for an international winner! (INT)
- Lots of blogs participating in the Love in Bloom Giveaway Hop!
- It’s Kissin’ Blue Karen’s 3rd blogoversary and she’s celebrating with a $25 Gift Card Giveaway!
- Lots of blogs participating in the May New Release Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Bookish Lifestyle for a chance to win a Skype Session with Evelyn Skye & an Evie Seo Tote
- Head over to Pink Polka Dot Books for a chance to win a Complete Set of Sarah Dessen’s Books in Paperback!
- XPresso Book Tours is giving away an Amazon Fire HD 8 and a $200 Amazon Gift Card!
- The Bookkeeper’s Secrets is doing a year-long giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!