I’m a little late with this, but I wanted to get my 2018 blogging, reading and writing goals written out so that I can (hopefully) track them. Otherwise, I’ll whisper them to myself and then pretend they don’t exist!
- Complete a second edit of Meet You in Convinerimus (the current working title of my middle grade book) and submit it to at least ten agents. I can’t get published if I don’t submit the book! I have gotten some excellent feedback, and I’m working on an edit based on that—I need to kick it into high gear!
- Attend a writing workshop. I really want to attend a workshop or craft-intensive conference this year. I’ll probably do that instead of attending ALA/BEA.
- Read more writing craft books/materials. Again, I need to work on my writing skills if I want to succeed. I’m giving myself a challenge of reading four craft books (one per quarter) and consistently reading other writing resources throughout the month.
- Finish the first draft of A Memory of Magic. This is the YA book I worked on for NaNo this year. I need to complete the first draft, but I’ve set it aside for a bit so I can work on editing the middle grade book.
- Read less. Yep, you read that right. I want to read less in 2018. Significantly less. I know this is a crazy goal for a book blogger, but if I want to get serious about writing this year, the only way I’m going to manage it is if I take my reading down a notch—I can’t manage it otherwise! So, I set my Goodreads goal at 100 books (instead of 200). I still plan to read—a lot—but hopefully reading won’t overwhelm my other goals.
- Read one review book for every one that I request/receive. I was planning to just post a generic goal like “catch up on backlist books, especially those I’ve received for review,” but that sort of goal is too easy to shirk. This goal is tangible and I can track it. (I’m already behind on this, so I’ll need to catch up!)
- Read more middle grade. Since the book I’m currently working on editing is middle grade, I should be reading LOTS of books written for this age group. When I looked at my 2017 stats, I was sad about the number of MG reads I completed—definitely not enough!
- Work out! Thought I’d add one personal goal here of working out at least twice a week. I’m so weird about working out—I do it every day for months and then don’t do it at all for months. Maybe I can find a happy medium?
I was going to post some blogging goals too, but those are pretty much covered in my 2018 challenges (Commenting 365 and Book Blog Discussion Challenge), so I’m not mentioning them here. And, of course, I have some reading challenges as well!
That’s it! Do you have goals you’re trying to meet in 2018? I want to know!