The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
I hope all of you in the US had a nice 4th of July!! We had my parents and my in-laws over for smoked brisket (yum!)—in the back yard, with masks, of course. (Though I’ll confess that my mom has started hanging out with us more and we don’t wear masks when it’s just her. The COVID positivity rate in IL is just 4% right now, and we’re still not interacting with a whole lot of people, so hopefully we’re safe.)
This year, I’ve been thinking a lot about what it does and doesn’t mean to be patriotic. I’ve always just sort of celebrated the holiday in the past without thinking much about it, but I found with everything going on this year that I’m a bit more reflective. I’ve always felt lucky to have grown up in a place like America—I think there’s a lot to be thankful for and I definitely feel pride in my country—but I’ve also always been a bit puzzled by people who hold up the Founding Fathers’ beliefs as some sort of end-all, be-all, especially when it comes to laws and upholding our constitution. Don’t get me wrong, I 100% believe in everyone’s rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but I don’t see how anyone could look at the founders of our country and think that they had all the details right (their view of who was included when it came to those rights was pretty limited, and that’s not the only worldview that was a whole lot different over 200 years ago. After all, they thought duels were a great way to solve disputes!). Anyway, I won’t go into it more than that, but I’ve just been reflecting a lot more about how my personal brand of patriotism doesn’t have a lot to do with those dudes who lived over 200 years ago. I’d like to be proud of my country right now, in the present (and I usually am—though these past few years have made that harder for me).
Here’s what else we’ve been up to this week:
- It was my daughter Jade’s 18th birthday! That’s right, I am now the mom of an adult. This feels more than a little insane to me. My daughter Danielle (with a little help from my mom and even littler help from me) made Jade a dairy free cake from scratch for her birthday. We were all very impressed with the results!
- We watched:
- My daughter Danielle and I finished season one of The 100 and moved onto season two.
- My whole family watched the first half of Hamilton on Disney+ last night (we’ll finish it tonight—it was too late to watch the whole thing). Kind of ironic considering my whole spiel about the Founding Fathers above, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to know anything about them, and of course, Hamilton presents the story in a way that really highlights some of our current issues.
- We’re refinishing yet another cabinet, this one for the kitchen. We’ve definitely been keeping ourselves busy with projects during the pandemic!
- As far as my reading goes…
- I listened to the audiobook of The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis. Um, wow! This book is kinda crazy, but I still kind of loved it? More thoughts to come.
- Digit! As always, the new little fluff is keeping me busy. For those of you who have been asking for “before and after” type pictures so you can see how much Digit’s grown, I put one in my June wrap-up! Here are a couple more pics from this week:
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
Two whole posts this week. Hey, I guess it’s an improvement.
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- July 7th – Erica Robyn @ Erica Robyn Reads‘ Birthday
- July 8th – Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books‘ Birthday
- July 9th – Metaphors and Moonlight‘s Blogoversary
I won a copy of Camp by L.C. Rosen from FFBC Blog Tours (right before they closed their doors—I feel really bad for Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books because of that whole debacle, by the way). This has gotten such rave reviews, and I’m excited to read it!
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Gayathri @ Elgee Writes shares why Book Blogging Is More Than ‘Just For Fun’
- Briana @ Pages Unbound asks WHERE ARE ALL THE FATHERS IN YA BOOKS?
- Samantha @ The Book Disciple gives great advice on How can I find more books like “X”, “Y”, or “Z”?
- Sophie @ Beware the Reader shares Funko Pop 101 : How to make your own Hunt Athalar funko pop from Crescent City. Tutorial
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!) Listed in order of release date. Any new deals I added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order I KILLED ZOE SPANOS by Kit Frick to receive a swag pack (pic of bookmarks and stickers on Twitter). Plus the author will donate $2 to The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. First-edition hardcovers will also have blue sprayed edges! (INT)(ends 6/29)
- Pre-order GODDESS IN THE MACHINE by Lora Beth Johnson to receive two exclusive nail polishes! (US)(ends 6/29)
- Pre-order THE EMPIRE OF GOLD by S.A. Chakraborty to receive a set of six pins featuring the tribal sigils of each tribe of Daevabad! (US only)(ends 6/29)
- Pre-order LOVE, CREEKWOOD by Becky Albertalli to receive a signed, personalized bookplate. (INT)(ends 6/29)
- Pre-order WHAT CORAL WANTS by Tera Lynn Childs to receive coloring pages, a recipe collection and a story extra. (INT)(ends 6/29)
- ***Pre-order GIRL, SERPENT, THORN by Melissa Bashardoust to receive an 8″x10″ wall art print! (US only)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-0rder SURVIVOR SONG by Paul Tremblay to receive a special themed bookmark and enamel pin set (first 100 pre-orders). (UK/ROI)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order THE CROW RIDER by Kalyn Josephson to receive 1 of 2 bonus scenes (from either Ericen or Kiva’s POV) and a chance to win a foil bookmark and a set of character cards. (US/CAN)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order CINDERELLA IS DEAD by Kalynn Bayron to receive an enamel pin! (ends 7/6 – US)(ends 8/5 – UK/ROI)(ends 8/31 – AUS/NZ)
- Pre-order HAWK by James Patterson to receive a metal bookmark and a hawk enamel pin! (US only)(ends 7/5)
- Pre-order FAITH TAKING FLIGHT by Julie Murphy to receive an exclusive pin! Order from a participating indie bookstore to get a signed copy. (US only)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order BURN OUR BODIES DOWN by Rory Power to receive a digital exclusive story set in the world of Wilder Girls! (US only)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order THE DAMNED by Renée Ahdieh to receive an exclusive skull bracelet! (US only)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order THE CROW RIDER by Kalyn Josephson to receive one of two exclusive deleted scenes. (US/CAN)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order BOYFRIEND MATERIAL by Alexis Hall to receive a “Keep Calm and RomCom On” enamel pin. (US/CAN)(ends 7/6)
- Pre-order BOYFRIEND MATERIAL from a list of specific retailers to also receive a Rom-Com Activity kit! (ends 7/6)
- Pre-order THE DARK THAT DWELLS by Matt Digman and Ryan Roddy to receive a digital download of TDTD artwork (INT). Paperback pre-orders will also receive a bookmark and 4 limited edition laptop stickers. Hardcover pre-orders will also receive an enamel pin! (INT for digital download, US for others)(ends 7/9)
- Pre-order THE HOLLOW GODS by A.J. Vrana to receive a bookmark, signed postcard, AND enter to win a special edition poster (first 25 paperback pre-orders only). All paperback pre-orders will be entered to win a special goodie box, and ALL pre-orders (ebook or print) will have a chance to win 1 of 5 limited edition posters. (INT)(ends 7/10)
- Pre-order THE RELENTLESS MOON by Mary Robinette Kowal to receive a free postcard featuring a message from Nicole Wargin! (US/CAN)(ends 7/13)
- Pre-order KEEP MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO by Amelia Diane Coombs OR Request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a magnet, a signed bookplate, a die-cut bowling pin sticker, a $1 Donation to NAMI, and a secret item! Those who order from an indie will also get something extra and all pre-orders will be entered to win a giveaway! (ends 7/13)
- Pre-order UNRAVEL THE DUSK by Elizabeth Lim to receive an official bookmark, a complete set of 3 character cards, a quote sticker, an exclusive print, and a signed bookplate (hardcover orders only). (US only for now–but check back in future)(ends 7/13)
- Pre-order THE FELL OF DARK by Caleb Roehrig to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker and an original story! (INT)(ends 7/13)
- Pre-order THE INVENTION OF SOPHIE CARTER by Samantha Hastings OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookplate a bookmark, a 5X7 custom art, and a short story: “What the Dickens?”. The first 50 people will also receive a teapot necklace and a vinyl quote from the book. (INT)(ends 7/14)
- Pre-order SHIELDED by KayLynn Flanders OR request it from your local library to receive a vintage travel postcard featuring a scene from the book, an official bookmark and sticker, a digital download of chapters 1 & 2, a signed bookplate, and a laptop sticker (first 40 entrants). (INT)(ends 7/20)
- Pre-order SPLINTERS OF SCARLET by Emily Bain Murphy OR request it from your local library to receive a custom postcard with a hello from Emily (while supplies last). You will also be entered into a grand prize giveaway. (INT)(ends 7/20)
- Pre-order DEAL WITH THE DEVIL by Kit Rocha to receive access to a secret website that contains a ton of goodies, including high resolution annotated maps, character sketches, downloadable digital wallpaper for your phone or desktop, an exclusive preview of book #2 AND an invitation to an exclusive livestream video Q&A with Donna & Bree! If you preorder from The Ripped Bodice or Love’s Sweet Arrow, you’ll also get an autographed bookplate, various Mercenary Librarian & Kit Rocha stickers & swag, and a custom handmade replica of the necklace worn in the book by the heroine. (INT)(ends 7/27)
- Pre-order A WICKED MAGIC by Sasha Laurens OR request it from your local library to receive a 5×7 sticker sheet, a signed bookplate and a bookmark. (ends 7/27)
- Pre-order THE FAITHLESS HAWK by Margaret Owen to receive a beautiful poster featuring the characters from The Merciful Crow duology designed by the author herself! (US/CAN)(ends 7/27)
- ***Pre-order THE END OF EVERYTHING (ASTROPHYSICALLY SPEAKING) by Katie Mack to receive an opportunity to submit a question to be possibly answered in a Q&A video (and exclusive access to the video), a signed bookplate, and a chance to receive an end-of-universe themed pin (if your question is chosen for the Q&A). (US only)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order IGNITING DARKNESS by Robin Lafevers to receive an enamel pin (hardcover only). (US only)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order LOBIZONA by Romina Garber (AKA Romina Russell) to receive a set of 5 Lobizona buttons! (US/CAN)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order CATTYWAMPUS by Ash Van Otterloo from Ballast Books for a signed copy with a brief note from the author. The first fifty pre-orders from that store will include one special vinyl swag sticker. ALL pre-orders and library requests can be entered to win a giveaway! (giveaway ends 8/1 at 12 PM)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order A SONG BELOW WATER by Bethany C. Morrow to receive a limited-edition “Young. Black. (Secretly Magical.)” enamel pin! (US/Can)(ends 8/3)
- Pre-order ALL OUR WORST IDEAS by Vicky Skinner to receive a playlist made by the author and the chance to win cool stuff! (INT)(ends 8/10)
- Pre-order TODAY TONIGHT TOMORROW by Rachel Lynn Solomon OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, three gorgeous character art postcards (library requests will receive one postcard chosen at random), Free Puppies! vinyl sticker, and a digital short story from Neil’s POV. Plus you’ll be entered to win a grand prize! (INT)(ends 8/11)
- ***Pre-order BOOKISH AND THE BEAST by Ashley Poston to receive a new, exclusive short story and signed bookplate! (INT)(ends 8/18)
- Pre-order BRIGHT RAVEN SKIES by Kristina Perez to receive a key chapter of WILD SAVAGE STARS written from Ruan’s point of view! Orders from One More Page Books or Forbidden Planet receive an exclusive bookplate that matches the cover art. (INT)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order IRONSPARK by C.M. McGuire to receive a signed bookmark and Ironspark sticker. You’ll also be entered to win additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order WHERE DREAMS DESCEND by Janella Angeles to receive an art print illustrated by Alexis Castellanos! (US/CAN)(ends 8/24)
- Pre-order TRAITOR by Amanda McCrina OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark, a signed bookplate, and 2 character cards featuring original art by Jaria Rambaran. (ends 8/24)
- ***Pre-order ROAD OUT OF WINTER by Alison Stine OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a custom, enamel skateboard pin. (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order HUNTED BY THE SKY by Tanaz Bhathena to receive a signed character postcard featuring Gul and Cavas and a bookmark. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (US/CAN)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order SHORT & SWEET by Josh Funk (illustrated by Brendan Kearney) from a participating indie bookstore to receive four collectors’ cards – AND an autographed bookplate! (ends 8/31)
- Pre-order THE JEALOUSY OF JALICE by Jesse Nolan Bailey to receive a 5×9 print of Flayer, a Bloodspill enamel pin, and TJOJ Bookmark. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order SCRITCH SCRATCH by Lindsay Curry to receive access to the exclusive content section of the author’s website, which includes a “sleuth sheet” to help solve the mysteries, a downloadable poster, a crossword puzzle and more! You’ll also be entered to win other prizes. (INT)(ends 8/31)
- Pre-order NOW THAT I’VE FOUND YOU by Kristina Forest OR request it from your local library to receive a custom Evie and Milo diner scene print, a custom made map of New York City featuring book-specific locations, and a bookmark. (US only)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order THE HUNGRY GHOST by H.S. Norup from Closetful of Books to receive a signed, personalized bookplate. (Singapore)(ends 9/1)
- Pre-order CEMETERY BOYS by Aiden Thomas to receive 5 Character Cards featuring Yadriel, Julian, Maritza and Lady Death, and a signed bookplate. 50 random US preorders will also receive a limited edition pin! (INT)(ends 9/1)
- ***Pre-order PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke to receive a tote bag and bookmark. (USA, Canada, UK, ROI, India, AUS and NZ)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order SURRENDER YOUR SONS by Adam Sass to receive a 4×6 postcard featuring a character adventure poster and a list of 10 clues to guide you as you unravel the dark mysteries within Nightlight, a digital collection of the entire prequel novella, THE SEARCH FOR DREW SCHREIBER, and a custom signed bookplate. Plus, you’ll have a chance to win more. (INT)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order THE PARIS SECRET by Natasha Lester from Book People to receive an exclusive postcard! In addition, each pre-order will be automatically entered to win 1 of 5* $50 BookPeople gift cards! (ends 9/14)
- Pre-order EACH OF US A DESERT by Mark Oshiro to receive a limited edition art print! (US/CAN)(ends 9/14)
- Pre-order YOU’LL FIND ME by Amanda Rawson Hill to receive digital resources to help you stay connected with your loved ones. You’ll also receive the supplies to make “You’ll Find Me” braided bracelets with a small charm. Plus $1 will be donated to the International Rescue Committee! (ends 9/21)
- ***Pre-order CROWNCHASERS by Rebecca Coffindaffer to receive character cards. (ends 9/28)
- ***Pre-order A NATURAL HISTORY OF FAIRIES by Emily Hawkins to receive download access to 3 random trading cards. (US/UK)(ends 9/22 UK, 9/28 US)
- Pre-order A NEON DARKNESS by Lauren Shippen to receive a limited edition art print! (US/CAN)(ends 9/28)
- ***Pre-order SHADE AND BONE [COLLECTOR’S EDITION] by Leigh Bardugo to receive a Grishaverse vegan leather bookmark. If you preorder Shadow and Bone: The Collector’s Edition AND The Lives of Saints, you’ll receive a set of Grishaverse pencils in a branded tin case. (US only)(ends 10/5)
- ***Pre-order ATTACK SURFACE by Cory Doctorow to receive a free digital and audio copy of a brand new digital short. (US/CAN)(ends 10/12)
- ***Pre-order KINGDOM OF THE WICKED by Kerri Maniscalco to receive an enamel pin, a signed bookplate, and a pair of oracle cards. (INT with limitations)(ends 10/26)
- ***Pre-order RUINSONG by Julia Ember to receive a character art print, postcard and enamel pin. (US/CAN/UK)(ends 11/23)
- Pre-order FRAGILE REMEDY by Maria Ingrande Mora OR request it from your local library OR create and share fanart to receive 3 character bookmarks featuring Alden, Reed, and Nate, and a holographic Queen of the Tinkers die-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered for additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 3/10)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @kester_grant is giving away 3 PERSONALISED copies of the limited Waterstones blue sprayed edge UK hardback (ends 7/5)
- @bookbrowsing is giving away Book(s) of your choice up to £20 from Book Depository! (ends 7/12)
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the June or July 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the June 2020 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway.
- Head over to We Live and Breathe Books for a chance to win Not Another Love Song
- Head over to It Starts at Midnight for a chance to win A Peculiar Peril
- Head over to Shooting Stars Mag for a chance to win a copy of Think Outside the Box, a pair of Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablets, and Creative Thinking in a Jar set.
- Head over to Do You Dog-ear? for a chance to win 4 books for Lindsi’s birthday giveaway!
- Head over to BookHounds YA for a chance to win FOREST OF SOULS, A NEON DARKNESS by Lauren Shippen gift cards and more (check the sidebar).
- Lots of blogs participating in the July 2020 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Melissa Pearl is doing a Summer Reading Challenge and giving away a $25 Amazon Gift Card
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including $250 B&N Gift Card and A Year of Reading!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win a Bundle of Hot Summer Fiction!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
Love all your photos! I hope lots of people are reflecting on things in the alone time available this year. There’s much to learn and much to change. It’s great you are managing so many projects. I want to do more. Enjoy your week!
Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post
Yes, we’ve definitely been full of projects lately!
Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. We are still self-quartining but the state is open with very few restrictions and a whole lot of suggestions no one listens to. The only people coming into our circle are the grandbabies. Her mother lives with us, and they travel back and forth between Daddy & Mommy’s house.
We’re definitely still mostly staying home and trying to be smart about the things that we are doing. Seems like lots of people have just thrown all caution to the wind!
Happy Birthday to Danielle! And go you and your mom for making her the homemade dairy free cake! That had to have been tough!
Congrats on your win too! I hope you enjoy it!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
It was actually Danielle who made the cake (with a bit of help from me and my mom) for Jade—just have to make sure credit is given where it is due. 🙂
It sounds like you had a nice 4th of July. I am glad you were able to get together with family. Happy Birthday to your daughter Jade. What a lovely cake! I hope you have a great July! Take care and stay safe and well.
Thanks so much!!
That cake looks really yummy. I’ve attempted to make cakes from scratch, but they never turn out that pretty. Have a great week!
We were really impressed by how good the cake turned out! This was Danielle’s first time making a layer cake, and the blueberry compote in the middle definitely made the cake!
Forgot about my blogoversary with all the stress of everything, thanks for the reminder lol. Glad you had a nice 4th of July 🙂 The cake is cute, hopefully it was also delicious! Cute doggos XD
The cake was actually very delicious—the blueberry filling in the middle really made it. We were impressed by how good it was, being dairy-free. The only hard part was the frosting because the dairy-free butter made it not want to set as well. But it was pretty and yummy!
I am jealous of your brisket! Glad you had a nice visit with your family
The brisket was SO good! Definitely my favorite of the meals my husband makes on the smoker. 🙂
Sounds like a lovely July, and I would think you’re okay to be around your mom if she’s not really going anywhere or seeing people either. It’s always tough to make those decisions!! Aw, love all the doggy photos. I saw your Before and After photos and he’s grown so much already! I watched Hamilton yesterday and loved it. I still would like to see it live someday, but it was fun to finally see it performed at least. And I’m with you on how being patriotic has changed since then. Some ideas are the same, but they include EVERYONE, and you don’t have to always be proud of or love your country. You just want it BE and DO better.
I got to see Hamilton live in Chicago a couple of years ago, but this was actually a great way to watch it too!
I’m proud of my country but I’m not very proud of the way many people are acting right now. We haven’t been hanging out with anyone. Trying to keep Ken away from anyone who could be sick is a full time job. This virus is scary.
I always felt patriotic before, but it’s gotten really hard these days.
Happy Birthday to Jade ?
I think a country and its government are best judged by how they treat their most vulnerable citizens. Sadly there are very few country’s that can be proud of doing that.
Wishing you a great reading week
Funny, you wrote this a long time ago, but I just ended up posting something about politics today. Wish things were getting better, but it doesn’t seem that way.
The cake looks amazing! Happy birthday to your daughter!
And the pup is so cute… Look at those eyes. <3 Love the pictures.
My daughter has made three cakes this week alone—she’s getting lots of baking in!
Happy birthday to your daughter, my eldest turned 13 this year, I can’t believe how quick they grow up.
Your dogs are adorable!
Time sure does fly when you have kids!
[…] for this question! Not only does she mention her favorite posts from other bloggers in all of her weekly Sunday Posts and highlight bloggers’ birthdays and blogversaries there as well, on top of that she co-hosts […]
Wow. 18! Where does the time go?? And I love the photos of your dogs together. How sweet!
It’s incredibly crazy to me to think that I have an adult daughter now. I’m sort of in denial. 🙂
Happy Birthday, Jade! That cake looks absolutely delicious! And your puppy is so adorable, aw you guys must have a blast playing with him!
He adds lots of fun to our lives, that’s for sure!
Glad Jade could enjoy celebrating her birthday with you all! And that cake looks so delicious. I also really need to watch Hamilton. I have to admit I don’t really have many patriotic bones in my body but I am glad you took the time this holiday to be reflective about what it all means and the like!
Yeah, patriotism is sort of a weirdly American concept, I think. Not that we’re the only patriotic people, but in the ways that we express it. It’s good to reflect on these things from time to time.