The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
- Basement Writing Retreat – My basement writing retreat was very successful! I got a lot written, even if I didn’t quite finish the book. The only problem I had was that I had insomnia this week for some reason, so by the end of the week, I was getting less and less effective. I actually gave up on Friday (I was planning to go through yesterday), since I wasn’t being terribly effective anymore. Still, I think this experiment was a success and now I just need to keep up the writing momentum! (I did write yesterday, even though I didn’t do a full day retreat.)
- While I wasn’t sleeping at night (and during my lunches and some other breaks), I was still listening to audiobooks for the Cybils Awards.
- I paused reading Tristan Strong Destroys The World (just because I was sticking with audiobooks while I on my writing retreat).
- I finished listening to Mañanaland and then moved on to The Copycat (really loved that one!), Shuri: A Black Panther Novel, & Embassy of the Dead.
- I’m now listening to The Green Ember (which is the first book in a series where book four is the one that’s nominated—I can’t listen out of order!). I decided I’d start listening to the first book to see if I liked the series enough to want to listen to all of them, and if not I’d jump into book four.
- I also got a little over two hours into another audiobook and just wasn’t feeling it—so I actually managed to quit! (I talked last week about how the rules say I technically only have to read the first fifty pages of a book and can call it “done” if I know I’m not going to add it to my shortlist. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to bring myself to do this. I did it!)
- Adding double doors to our office. We’ve decided to add doors to our downstairs living room (which we had already been using as an office), so Scott can put his desk down there instead of working upstairs in Jade’s old room. There are several reasons for this, but I won’t bore you with them. At any rate, in order to do this, my husband had to add framing and drywall to make a slightly smaller rough opening for the double doors we’re installing and then yesterday we hung the doors. It was actually quite a challenge (even getting them into a spot where we could work on them was hard!), but we got them up and we’re happy with the result so far. We still need to add trim (which we’ll do in the mission style like we did around our other doors and windows), add doorknobs, mud the added part of the wall, and paint. Always projects around here!
- The Dogs! My mom took care of the little pup for me most of this week, but the other two were happy to hang out in the basement with me a lot. Here they are sleeping on the bed in the basement. And, of course, a pic of Digit because he’s just cute.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- October 2020 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Giveaway
- November 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- November – Books of My Heart‘s Blogoversary
- November 1st – All Books Considered‘s Blogoversary
- November 2nd – Bookwyrming Thoughts‘ Blogoversary
- November 3rd – Nicole @ Thoughts Stained With Ink‘s Birthday
- November 6th – Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit‘s Birthday
From NetGalley & Edelweiss:
This week I picked up the audiobook of Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez from NetGalley because my fellow bloggers have been saying such good things about this book! Rachelle Baker illustrated this cover.
And then I also got a request from Mango and Marigold Press to review their first middle grade novel, Rea and the Blood of the Nectar by Payal Doshi. (Couldn’t find info on the cover artist for this one, but I’ll update this if I find it!)
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- No blog hopping this week because of my writing retreat!
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!) Listed in order of release date. Any new deals I added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order THE FALL OF NIGHT by D.K. Stone OR any of the Stonehouse thrillers to receive a limited-edition signed print, a vintage Waterton postcard, a signed bookplate, and a bookmark. Ordering multiple books will get you more gifts! (INT)(ends 11/1)
- Pre-order INSTANT KARMA by Marissa Meyer to receive a limited edition enamel pin! (US/CAN)(ends 11/2)
- Pre-order THE RAVENS by Kass Morgan and Danielle Paige to receive a Raven enamel pin. (US only)(ends 11/2)
- Pre-order THE FANGIRL’S GUIDE TO THE UNIVERSE or THE FANGIRL’S JOURNAL FOR LEVELING UP by Sam Maggs to receive a signed bookplate. The first 150 entrants will also receive a bonus sticker sheet featuring artwork from the books. (US only)(ends 11/3)
- Pre-order THE CAMELOT BETRAYAL by Kiersten White from Mysterious Galaxy to receive a signed, personalized copy, a bookmark and an exclusive art print! (ends 11/5)
- ***Pre-order MASTER OF ONE by Jaida Jones & Dani Bennett to receive a deluxe sharded heart enamel pin (US only), a mini-print of the world map, and a trio of collectors’ edition art bookmarks. (INT)(ends 11/;9)
- Pre-order A LADY’S GUIDE TO MISCHIEF AND MAYHEM by Manda Collins to receive exclusive bonus content. (US only)(ends 11/9)
- Pre-order NO READING ALLOWED: THE WORST READ-ALOUD BOOK EVER by Raj Haldar and Chris Carpenter, illustrated by Bryce Gladfelter to receive a Ptolemy the Pterodactyl enamel pin. (US/CAN)(ends 11/9)
- Pre-order DON’T JUDGE ME by Lisa Schroeder from Annie Bloom’s to receive a signed/personalized book, a fun little pin and some bookmarks. (ends 11/9)
- Pre-order ANYA AND THE NIGHTINGALE by Sofiya Pasternack from The King’s English to receive a signed copy, plus a bookmark & sticker! (ends 11/9)
- ***Pre-order SUPER FAKE LOVE SONG by David Yoon to receive an exclusive pop socket! (US only)(ends 11/16)
- Pre-order THE BURNING GOD by R.F. Kuang to receive a PDF of exclusive bonus content from R.F. Kuang, with three key scenes from the trilogy presented from Nezha’s point of view. (INT)(ends 11/16)
- Pre-order SOULSWIFT by Megan Bannen from Raven Bookstore to receive a signed book, along with a bookmark and sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize! (ends 11/16)
- ***Pre-order HOW THE KING OF ELFHAME LEARNED TO HATE STORIES by Holly Black to receive a wooden bookmark featuring art from the book! (US only)(ends 11/23
- Pre-order RUINSONG by Julia Ember to receive a character art print, postcard and enamel pin. (US/CAN/UK)(ends 11/23)
- Pre-order THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS by Chloe Gong to receive an art print, a bookmark, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 11/24)
- Pre-order CAST IN FIRELIGHT by Dana Swift OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and an art print. Pre-orders will also receive a signed bookplate and two character cards (Adraa and Jatin) and will be entered into the grand prize giveaway! (INT)(ends 11/24)
- Pre-order NEVER AFTER: THE THIRTEENTH FAIRY by Melissa de la Cruz to receive a laptop sticker and signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 11/30)
- Pre-order THIS IS HOW WE FLY by Anna Meriano to receive headbands, cover stickers, and a brand-new batch of nerdy fandom bookmarks. (ends 12/14)
- Pre-order BLOOD AND HONOR by Miranda Lyn to receive a signed bookmark! (US only)(ends 1/3)
- Pre-order ONE OF THE GOOD ONES by Maika and Maritza Moulite and Inkyard Press will donate $1.00 to the Center for Black Equity. (ends 1/4)
- Pre-order LORE by Alexandra Bracken to receive a Liam prequel short story (to The Darkest Minds), cut scenes from TDL, and a special extra Liam POV if they hit 1,000 submissions. You’ll also get one LORE email a week for nine weeks that includes an early look at a chapter and some other aspect of the book. (You can opt out of this at any time and still receive the rest.) (INT)(ends 1/5)
- Pre-order A VOW SO BOLD AND DEADLY by Brigid Kemmerer and you can choose to receive either the Emberfall or Syhl Shallow Kingdom Crest patch. (US, CAN, UK, IRE, AUS, & NZ)(ends 1/11)
- Pre-order TALES FROM THE HINTERLAND by Melissa Albert to receive a set of three postcards! (US only)(ends 1/12)
- Pre-order WE FREE THE STARS by Hafsah Faizal from Interabang Books to receive a signed, personalized copy plus an art print! (ends 1/15)
- Pre-order CAST IN FIRELIGHT by Dana Swift OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and an art print. Pre-orders will also receive a signed bookplate and two character cards. Order from Books and Books to also get a sticker! (INT)(ends 1/18)
- Pre-order DO BETTER by Rachel Ricketts to receive a link to an exclusive breath-work session led by the author, a guided meditation (if pre-ordered by 10/26), an exclusive yoga session video (if pre-ordered by 11/30), and a letter from the author about how to set intentions for the New Year (if pre-ordered by 12/28). (US only)(ends 1/29)
- Pre-order THE GILDED ONES by Namina Forna to receive a gorgeous foiled & embossed limited edition print, plus a signed bookplate (first 250 preorders). (INT—excluding US, Philippines & CA)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order NOT QUITE OUT by Louise Willingham to be entered to win multiple giveaways, including an annotated copy of the book. (INT)(ends 2/8)
- Pre-order A COURT OF SILVER FLAMES by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive pin. (US/CAN/UK/ROI/IND/AUS/NZ)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order WITCHSHADOW by Susan Dennard to receive SEVEN limited-edition character prints! (US/CAN)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order HOLES IN THE VEIL by Beth Overmeyer to receive a button pin, a signed bookplate, three charms: 1 horse, 1 dagger, & 1 goblet. (US only)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order WE ARE THE FIRE by Sam Taylor from River Bend Bookshop to receive a signed & personalized copy of the book, as well as a 5 x 7 inch character art print, a 5 x 7 inch full-color map of the Vesimaan Empire, and a bookmark. (ends 2/15)
- ***Pre-order EVERYONE’S SLEEPY BUT THE BABY by Tracy C. Gold OR request it from your local library and the author will donate a book to ShareBaby, a Baltimore-based charity that gives baby items to families in need. (INT)(ends 3/1)
- Pre-order I THINK I LOVE YOU by Auriane Desombre to receive access to special bonus content. Read the two scripts that Spark Emma and Sophie’s rivalry and join Team Emma or Team Sophie to vote for who should win the festival! (INT)(ends 3/1)
- Pre-order FRAGILE REMEDY by Maria Ingrande Mora OR request it from your local library OR create and share fanart to receive 3 character bookmarks featuring Alden, Reed, and Nate, and a holographic Queen of the Tinkers die-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered for additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 3/10)
- Pre-order WHERE WE USED TO ROAM by Jenn Bishop OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a personalized signed bookplate. Plus you’ll be entered to win more prizes! (US/CAN)(ends 3/22)
- Pre-order SOMEWHERE BETWEEN BITTER & SWEET by Laekan Zea Kamp OR request it from your local library OR create & share fanart to receive recipe cards, bookmarks, and a sneak peek at the instrumental soundtrack. Plus, you’ll be entered to win more! (ends 4/5)
- Pre-order THE ONES WE’RE MEANT TO FIND by Joan He to receive swag (to be revealed). (INT)(ends 5/3)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @TiffanyGiovino is hosting a $15 Book Depository Giveaway (ends 10/31)
- @thenerdaily is giving away your choice of six October releases. (ends 10/31)
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the October and November 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the September and October Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway.
- Lots of blogs participating in the November 2020 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Bookcrushin’ for a chance to win Any New Release Featured there This Month
- Penguin is giving away a stack of spooky books!
- Head over to BookHounds YA for a chance to win WARRIORS OF WING AND FLAME, RURAL VOICES, and more (check the site’s sidebar!)
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win THE BRIGHTEST NIGHT by Jennifer L. Armentrout
- Head over to Book Briefs for a chance to win BROKEN WISH.
- It Starts at Midnight turned 7 and Shannon is celebrating by giving two people four books each!
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including a free IPAD!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win their Favorite October Books!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I hope your sleep schedule gets back on track. Insomnia is no joke. Finger crossed you love Furia as much as I did (which was a lot).
I remember reading about Furia on your blog—I think that might have been the first place I saw it. You convinced me I need to read it!
I always enjoy seeing your projects and your dogs. A busy schedule for you with writing, the award reading, the house project, the dogs, and all. I’m not excited about the time change either; I hope it encourages me to go to bed earlier.
I’m doing a big giveaway post for my blogaversary on Sunday Nov 15th so watch for it. Thanks for the shout-out.
Anne – Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post
I can update your blogoversary in my calendar to the 15th, if you’d like. (Or is that just the date you’re having the giveaway?)
Thank you. It looks like the actual first post was November 20th although I was setting up from mid October until then and I double posted everything on The Book Nympho and Books of My Heart during the rest of 2017. I am just doing the giveaway post on November 15th. I have to finalize a few of the rules for myself but the post will be that Sunday.
I love dog pictures. So cute.
Thanks! I always have to add some dog pics. 🙂
Glad your writing retreat went so well – though I’m not surprised that your lack of sleep got in the way of your creativity. Since my writing retreat, I’ve managed to get on top of my dysfunctional sleeping patterns that have persisted for years – and I’ve found my writing is going so much better! I hope you have a really good week and manage to catch up on your sleep. And congratulations on getting the doors hung – I recall doing that and you’re right – it’s far more demanding than it sounds!
We’ve hung single doors in the past, but this was the first time we’ve tried double doors. It was definitely a challenge!
So far, my insomnia has persisted. Hoping to get it nipped in the bud soon because it definitely makes daily life more hazy!
Home projects are usually a lot of work, but the result is satisfying. Congrats on getting a lot of writing done. Hope your insomnia goes away. I hate it when I can’t sleep! Happy reading!
I’m hoping this insomnia goes away, but so far, no such luck. Ugh!
The new office space sounds great. Love renovations. Furia is a good one. Enjoy.
Glad your retreat went well! That must feel good. 🙂
Hope your new week is a good one!
I’m glad your retreat went well! Sounds like you made a lot of progress!
I’m glad your retreat was such a success!
Wishing you a great reading week, and more sleep
I’m glad you’re happy with the results of your retreat. And your doggies are so cute!
And you’re attempting a whole series to get to book 4 for the CYBILS? That’s dedication!
Good for you for walking away from a book that wasn’t working for you! I struggle with this too but I am slowly getting better. Life is entirely too short.
Enjoy your week and I hope you get some sleep soon!
Ah I’m so so happy your retreat went well, that’s fantastic! I hope you can keep that momentum and finish your book <3
Sending you all the love and have a wonderful week <3
I’m glad your writing retreat was a nice success, even if you had insomnia. That’s no fun. I’m hoping to get into the groove of writing more this month too so fingers crossed for us both!!
Love the dog photos. They are adorable. 🙂 I won a copy of Furia and hope to read it soon. It looks great.
I’m glad to read your Writing Retreat went well. Sorry to read about the insomnia though. Ever since I became pregnant.. sleeping also isn’t something I’m very good at.
Those dog pics are adorable.
Stay safe and happy reading.