The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~ It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on my blog and share news about what’s coming up in the week ahead.
This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
- Jade’s home! Jade came home on Friday and she’s planning to stay for the foreseeable future since pretty much all of her classes are online. (We pay a lot for room and board, which is pretty useless at this point since she only leaves her dorm room to eat.)
- Back in (almost) lockdown. Illinois’ COVID numbers have been rising at an alarming rate, so we’re back in what they call tier-3 mitigation, which basically means we’re only supposed to leave if we have to. The kids’ sports have been canceled, which is the biggest change for us. We also figure at this point that our family Christmas get-together is canceled.
- More reading for the Cybils Awards!
- I listened to Ember Rising and Ember’s End and started listening to Greenglass House.
- I read Quintessence, Rival Magic, and The Sisters of Straygarden Place and started reading Water Bears.
- Working on the office and basement. We did some more work on the new office and put a back on the room divider shelving unit that we bought for the basement (after staining the front and painting the back—it still needs one more quick coat of paint to cover the staples and a few flaws).
- The Dogs! I actually have zero pictures of the dogs from this week. Bad doggy mom! (But then I gave him a new toy and took one halfway decent pic of him before he ran away from me. LOL!)
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Bite-Sized Reviews of Cybils Nominees: Kiki’s Delivery Service; Embassy of the Dead; The Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez; Middle School Bites; and Into the Tall, Tall Grass
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- Nov 26th – Heather @ Based on a True Story‘s Birthday
For Cybils Judging:
I received Horace Fox in the City, which is written and illustrated by Jacqui Hazell, so that I can read it for the Cybils Awards. I also received The Clockwork Crow by Catherine Fisher. This dreamy cover is illustrated by Adelina Lirius.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Check out this year’s Shattering Stigmas posts!
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!) Listed in order of release date. Any new deals I added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so they might not be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- Pre-order HOW THE KING OF ELFHAME LEARNED TO HATE STORIES by Holly Black to receive a wooden bookmark featuring art from the book! (US only)(ends 11/23)
- Pre-order RUINSONG by Julia Ember to receive a character art print, postcard and enamel pin. (US/CAN/UK)(ends 11/23)
- Pre-order THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS by Chloe Gong to receive an art print, a bookmark, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 11/24)
- Pre-order CAST IN FIRELIGHT by Dana Swift OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and an art print. Pre-orders will also receive a signed bookplate and two character cards (Adraa and Jatin) and will be entered into the grand prize giveaway! (INT)(ends 11/24)
- ***Pre-order A SKY BEYOND THE STORM by Sabaa Tahir to receive an exclusive Always Victorious mug! (US only)(ends 11/30)
- Pre-order GIRL GIANT AND THE MONKEY KING by Van Hoang OR request it from your local library to receive stickers, a bookmark, and a signed bookplate! Pre-orders will also be entered to win other prizes. Find the form here. (INT)(ends 11/30)
- Pre-order A CURSE OF ROSES by Diana Pinguicha to receive character cards, stickers, a bookmark, and bookplate! (US only)(ends 11/30)
- Pre-order HOLLOW EMPIRE by Sam Hawke OR request it from your local library to receive a set of three City of Lies themed stickers! You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (ends 11/30)
- Pre-order NEVER AFTER: THE THIRTEENTH FAIRY by Melissa de la Cruz to receive a laptop sticker and signed bookplate! (US only)(ends 11/30)
- ***Pre-order THE BITTERWINE OATH by Hannah West to receive an enamel pin and signed bookplate! (INT)(ends 12/5)
- Pre-order THIS IS HOW WE FLY by Anna Meriano to receive headbands, cover stickers, and a brand-new batch of nerdy fandom bookmarks. (ends 12/14)
- Pre-order BLOOD AND HONOR by Miranda Lyn to receive a signed bookmark! (US only)(ends 1/3)
- Pre-order HAPPILY EVER AFTERS by Elise Bryant to receive a cute vinyl sticker sheet featuring original cover art by Michelle D’Urbano! (ends 1/4)
- Pre-order ONE OF THE GOOD ONES by Maika and Maritza Moulite and Inkyard Press will donate $1.00 to the Center for Black Equity. (ends 1/4)
- Pre-order LORE by Alexandra Bracken to receive a Liam prequel short story (to The Darkest Minds), cut scenes from TDL, and a special extra Liam POV if they hit 1,000 submissions. You’ll also get one LORE email a week for nine weeks that includes an early look at a chapter and some other aspect of the book. (You can opt out of this at any time and still receive the rest.) (INT)(ends 1/5)
- Pre-order A VOW SO BOLD AND DEADLY by Brigid Kemmerer and you can choose to receive either the Emberfall or Syhl Shallow Kingdom Crest patch. (US, CAN, UK, IRE, AUS, & NZ)(ends 1/11)
- Pre-order TALES FROM THE HINTERLAND by Melissa Albert to receive a set of three postcards! (US only)(ends 1/12)
- Pre-order WE FREE THE STARS by Hafsah Faizal from Interabang Books to receive a signed, personalized copy plus an art print! (ends 1/15)
- ***Pre-order WINTERKEEP by Kristin Cashore to receive an exclusive Graceling Realm Map. (US only)(ends 1/18(
- Pre-order CAST IN FIRELIGHT by Dana Swift OR request it from your local library to receive a bookmark and an art print. Pre-orders will also receive a signed bookplate and two character cards. Order from Books and Books to also get a sticker! (INT)(ends 1/18)
- Pre-order THE TRUTH ABOUT MODERN SLAVERY by Emily Kenway and Pluto Publishing will donate £1 to the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants. (ends 1/19)
- Pre-order DO BETTER by Rachel Ricketts to receive a link to an exclusive breath-work session led by the author, a guided meditation (if pre-ordered by 10/26), an exclusive yoga session video (if pre-ordered by 11/30), and a letter from the author about how to set intentions for the New Year (if pre-ordered by 12/28). (US only)(ends 1/29)
- Pre-order MILK FED by Melissa Broder from Malaprop’s Bookstore to receive a bookplate, a recipe book and some nifty goodies! (ends 2/1)
- Pre-order THE GILDED ONES by Namina Forna to receive a gorgeous foiled & embossed limited edition print, plus a signed bookplate (first 250 preorders). (INT—excluding US, Philippines & CA)(ends 2/3)
- Pre-order AS FAR AS YOU’LL TAKE ME by Phil Stamper to receive a signed bookplate, two bespoke stickers, and a bonus chapter from The Gravity of Us! (INT)(ends 2/8 US/AUS/NZ)(ends 3/3 UK/ROI)
- Pre-order NOT QUITE OUT by Louise Willingham to be entered to win multiple giveaways, including an annotated copy of the book. (INT)(ends 2/8)
- Pre-order A COURT OF SILVER FLAMES by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive pin. (US/CAN/UK/ROI/IND/AUS/NZ)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order WITCHSHADOW by Susan Dennard to receive SEVEN limited-edition character prints! (US/CAN)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order HOLES IN THE VEIL by Beth Overmeyer to receive a button pin, a signed bookplate, three charms: 1 horse, 1 dagger, & 1 goblet. (US only)(ends 2/15)
- Pre-order WE ARE THE FIRE by Sam Taylor from River Bend Bookshop to receive a signed & personalized copy of the book, as well as a 5 x 7 inch character art print, a 5 x 7 inch full-color map of the Vesimaan Empire, and a bookmark. (ends 2/15)
- Pre-order EVERYONE’S SLEEPY BUT THE BABY by Tracy C. Gold OR request it from your local library and the author will donate a book to ShareBaby, a Baltimore-based charity that gives baby items to families in need. (INT)(ends 3/1)
- Pre-order I THINK I LOVE YOU by Auriane Desombre to receive access to special bonus content. Read the two scripts that Spark Emma and Sophie’s rivalry and join Team Emma or Team Sophie to vote for who should win the festival! (INT)(ends 3/1)
- Pre-order PHOENIX FLAME by Sara Holland to receive a double-sided Havenfall series bookmark. (US/CAN/UK/IRE/AUS/NZ)(ends 3/1)
- Pre-order FRAGILE REMEDY by Maria Ingrande Mora OR request it from your local library OR create and share fanart to receive 3 character bookmarks featuring Alden, Reed, and Nate, and a holographic Queen of the Tinkers die-cut sticker. US pre-orders will also be entered for additional giveaways. (INT)(ends 3/10)
- Pre-order WHERE WE USED TO ROAM by Jenn Bishop OR request it from your local library to receive a signed bookmark and a personalized signed bookplate. Plus you’ll be entered to win more prizes! (US/CAN)(ends 3/22)
- Pre-order SOMEWHERE BETWEEN BITTER & SWEET by Laekan Zea Kamp OR request it from your local library OR create & share fanart to receive recipe cards, bookmarks, and a sneak peek at the instrumental soundtrack. Plus, you’ll be entered to win more! (ends 4/5)
- Pre-order THE ONES WE’RE MEANT TO FIND by Joan He to receive swag (to be revealed). (INT)(ends 5/3)
- ***Pre-order SIX CRIMSON CRANES by Elizabeth Lim to receive a swag pack! (US only)(ends 7/10)
(Make sure you scroll to see them all!)
- Twitter Giveaways:
- I didn’t find any this week!
- On my blog, you can enter the giveaway for the November 2020 Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway and the October Monthly Wrap-Up Round-Up & Giveaway.
- Shattering Stigmas is happening again and you can enter to win a Mental Health Related Book!
- Anne is celebrating Books of My Heart’s 3rd Blogoversary with a giveaway of gift cards, Audible books, physical books and more!
- Head over to BookHounds YA for a chance to win CATFISHING ON CATNET, A THOUSAND FIRES, EVERYTHING I THOUGHT I KNEW, FROZEN 2: DANGEROUS SECRETS and more (check the site’s sidebar!)
- Head over to Book Briefs for a chance to win Mind Riot by Ken Bagnis
- Head over to Chasing Faerytales for a chance to win A copy of Henna Wars and a pre-order of Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating
- Head over to Two Chicks on Books for a chance to win a signed paperback copy of Living Dead Girl
- Lots of blogs participating in the SUPER STOCKING STUFFER GIVEAWAY HOP
- Head over to Read All the Things for a chance to win a $100 Book Shopping Spree for the holidays!
- Head over to Waves of Fiction for a chance to win 19 Young Adult Books!
- Lots of blogs participating in the November 2020 Of Books Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Bookcrushin’ for a chance to win Any New Release Featured there This Month
- Book Riot has lots of giveaways, including a free IPAD!
- Read It Forward does a weekly giveaway. This week you can enter to win their Favorite November Books!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
love your doggie pics. i am a dog lover and always enjoying seeing others photos, seeing i do not have a dog of my own. sounds like a good idea…jade coming home. saves some money and keeps her safe.
A full house. How fun! I feel bad for the kids at all levels not really getting the full experience.
You all do the best job of rolling with whatever is happening. Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving! Stay safe and well with some great books!
Anne – Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post
Yeah, St. Louis went back to pretty much where we were at in March. Most everything is closed except grocery stores and the big box stores. Smaller stores are open too. But basically no restaurants or movies or any of what we’ve had for the past few months again. It sucks, but I get it, kind of. I know some restaurants are going to try to file a charge since the neighboring counties are allowed to have restaurants open and we’re talking a five minute drive over a bridge, so in a sense it doesn’t make sense.
Nice new reads! Totally new to me ones but I hope you enjoy them!!
Here’s my StS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Same here with my daughter re: college. She was supposed to go but with Covid she just ended up staying home and taking remote classes. Glad your daughter is coming home for the holidays! And yeah Covid is so bad right now, isn’t it? We just all decided to cancel our big extended family Christmas too.
Anyway be well this week and safe!!!
Welcome home, Jade! I hope you all have a good Thanksgiving, if you’re celebrating. 🙂
That’s great Jade is home – definitely a weird beginning to college for her, I’m sure! You are killing it on the reading though – I’m hoping this week will be better for me in that regard, with Thanksgiving and all that. No work, and I’m not going anywhere. LOL
Glad to hear Jade is home! So glad you all are staying safe and healthy!
With how everything is going I can totally understand your daughter moving back as classes are mostly online. I really feel for students who have gone off to study this year as they must feel so isolated being stuck in their rooms learning most of the time. Sorry to hear you’re planned Christmas looks to be cancelled but at least we all know we’re in the same boat. I’m just hoping to be able to see a couple of people for Christmas and hopefully in the new year I can meet up with friends and the more extended family.
Yay for having one of your babies back home with you and wishing your family a wonderful Thanksgiving ♥.
Oh I am SO glad to hear that Jade is home! That must be a huge relief! And I am glad your state is taking this seriously. Mine is just giving “strong recommendations”, because those have been working out great ?
Thank you SO much for giving Shattering Stigmas a shoutout too ♥♥
My eldest is staying home for remote classes and the youngest goes to high school one week and is on remote the next. The shops are supposed to reopen saturday and I’m waiting for more information from the library at work at. Libraries are supposed to reopen “normally” but I don’t see how it will be possible ! Love your dog pics, my cat is hovering around my laptop now, trying to get to the keyboard ! Have a great week 🙂
Hey Nicole, I hope you and your family are doing great! I’ve been at home this whole semester, and it’s been nice – even though a little lonely at times.
Love the dog pics. My dog is the only thing getting me out of bed right now.
Good to hear that Jade is home <3 I hope you and your family are staying safe, sending you lots of love and take care, Nicole <3 <3