Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist
(If you could make authors write about these things you would. Could be a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a time period, a certain plot, etc.)
This is a hard topic because I really do think that if you look hard enough, you could find a book about just about everything. So this is just a list of things I love to see in my books or would like to find more of!
- Witty banter – Give me a book with witty characters and you’ve got me hooked. I love to chuckle, snort and laugh out loud when I read my books!
- Good family dynamics – I’d love to read more YA books with families that actually love and support each other. Really, there are families like that out there!
- Cute kids – I’m a sucker for a cute kid in a book. A cute, precocious kid? Yep, I’m sold.
- Cute animals – You got it – I like cute things. Really, any kind of animals that play a major part in a story are a plus for me (I love fantasy books with animals), but if the animals are cute it’s a bonus! 🙂
- Diverse characters – I read recently that books with a minority character on the cover don’t sell as well and that makes me really sad. Maybe if more and more authors write really good diverse characters, it will make a difference!! I’m not saying that I want more books all about race relations or anything – I just want more diverse lead characters.
- Smart female characters – There are some out there, but I’d love to see even more!
- Strong friendships – I love to see a book that has really solid, strong friendships at its core. Friendships with witty banter are an added plus! 🙂
- Exotic locations – We’ve all gotta dream, right? I want to travel the world! But since I can’t, I want to read more paranormal stories (since I love those) in exotic locations!
- Unique superpowers – Give me something really interesting – something that should never work – and then make it work!
- Unicorns – Yep, you read that right. Unicorns. Come on, you know you loved them when you were a little girl (well, unless you’re a guy). I want a grown-up fairy story involving unicorns. It’s not so weird – okay, it is a little, but I’m going with it anyway.
So, what are you looking for?
I’m totally with you on the grown up unicorn stories! Unique superpowers sound great too.
I’m so glad I’m not alone in my love of unicorns!
Witty banter is pretty high on my list as well. Eventhough the plot or the setting of a book might not be so good if it can make me laugh I don’t want to put it down! I also definitely agree on good family dynamics. Lately I’ve read so many books with main characters that didn’t have a loving family or they just didn’t have parents at all anymore, it annoyed me a little. If the fact that someone has a bad relationship with their parents or they are not alive anymore drives the plot, then I can accept it. However, most of the time it is completely irrelevant to the plot and that makes the writer just look lazy, because it looks like he/she isn’t prepared to invest some time in writing a relationship with a solid foundation.
Yes, witty banter can really transform a book for me. I love it!
Yes, unicorns, they made my list too.
Now that’s a surprise! I thought for sure I’d be the only one! 🙂
Unicorns! Love it! I also love witty characters!
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings