2016 is almost over and lots of us our reflecting on the past year, taking a look at our goals and accomplishments. I thought it might be fun to look back at some of my old Top Ten Tuesday posts to see how I did with reading the books I said I was anticipating in 2015 & 2016.
(Hint: It’s not pretty.)
Top Ten Books I Meant to Read in 2014:
This was one of my first TTT posts in 2015. These were all books that I somehow missed in 2014, but I totally meant to get to them in 2015. Surely, I should have read them all by now, right? Let’s take a look:
- Hmmm…. Out of these, I’ve only read Isla and the Happily Ever After, Since You’ve Been Gone, and UnDivided (links go to my reviews). Not off to a great start. (Though I did enjoy all three of these, so at least I chose good books to feel like I’d missed.)
- I actually own and still definitely plan to read Alienated, Silver Shadows, The Treatment and The Winner’s Curse. (Links go to Goodreads.)
- I don’t own Take Me On or The Forever Song, but those are still on my list of definitely want to read.
- The only one of these I’ve pretty much completely forgotten about is We Were Liars. Should I forget it completely? What do you think?
Top Ten Most Anticipated Releases of the Rest of 2015:
I wrote this post in June of 2015. I was REALLY anticipating these, so I’ve read them all, right? We shall see …
- Ooh! I did much better on these!! Out of these, I’ve read Their Fractured Light, The Heart of Betrayal, Soundless, The White Rose, A Whole New World and Illuminae. My anticipation was completely warranted for most of these, but Soundless was a little bit of a disappointment and A Whole New World was even more of one.
- I know, I know. I NEED to read Winter.
- I also definitely still plan to read The Boy Most Likely To, Insidious and The Iron Warrior. So none of these have completely faded from my radar.
Top Ten Hyped Books I’ve Never Read – YOU Get to Choose Which One I WILL Read!
Okay, I’m especially ashamed of this one because way back in I TOLD you guys that you would choose which book I would read and then I would read it that month (this was back in July). Ummmm ….. hehehe …. It didn’t happen.
- I have now read one book off this list, but it’s not the one you voted for. (It’s Written in Red, which was fabulous, by the way.)
- I don’t know what possessed me to say that I would read the winner in July. I didn’t even own Throne of Glass yet, and by the time I got it, there were lots of things going on and … Oh, I have no excuse. This is going to happen. In January. I swear. (Probably.)
Top Four Fairytale Retellings I Want to Read:
This was actually a Top Ten post, but of retellings I’ve read or want to read, but six were ones I’d already read, so I’m not mentioning those. Here are the four I wanted to read:
- I’ve read half of these! I wasn’t as enthralled with The Wrath & the Dawn as everyone else seemed to be, but I liked it (I liked the sequel better) and Mechanica was a little bit of a disappointment.
- I still definitely plan to read Scarlet and A Court of Thorns and Roses!
Top Fifteen Books on My Fall TBR:
I couldn’t whittle it down to ten in this post, but that’s okay.
- Well, at least I read all of THESE. They were review books, after all!
- I didn’t have the same consistency with the non-review books. Lots of these, I’ve already mentioned, but the only two I haven’t (Queen and November 9), I still haven’t read. Sigh.
Top Twelve Bookish Movies I Still Need to See:
Ooh, ooh! Bookish movies! I really wanted to see them! Surely I’ve watched them ALLLLLLLLL!!! The original post has pretty pictures, but they’re not easily transferred here, so you’ll have to make do with a list:
- Still haven’t seen: The Book Thief, Paper Towns, City of Bones, The DUFF, The Scorch Trials, Allegiant, Mockingjay Part II, OR Through the Looking Glass.
- Unwind and Beauty and the Beast haven’t come out yet, so I have excuses for those.
- The only movie I HAVE seen from my list was The Fifth Wave. It wasn’t very good.
Hmmm … looks like a movie marathon is in order.
Top Ten Books I Wouldn’t Mind Santa Leaving Under My Tree:
I was hoping Santa would leave me these books last year, so I’ve probably read them all by now, right? (I know, you’re onto me by this point. The answer is no.)
- Let’s see, out of these, I actually DO own Walk on Earth a Stranger, Throne of Glass, Six of Crows, Made You Up and UnBound (and I happen to know that Santa’s bringing me Fool’s Quest). But I have read … none of them. Santa must be pretty sick of fulfilling my requests just to see me ignore the books he’s bestowed.
Top Ten Most Anticipated Books of the Rest of 2016:
Wow, I’ve actually read almost ALL of the books on this list! Of course, these were almost all books I got from BEA, so they were review books, and I’m pretty good at reading those.
- The only books I haven’t read off this list are Replica, Witch’s Pyre and Frost Like Night (which I just got last week at the 5th Annual Novel Cuisine Luncheon). I just finished Beauty of Darkness the other day, so I get to count that one as read. Yay for actually reading the books I was anticipating!!
Okay, I’m going to stop there because this post could go on and on. There was also my Top Ten Books I’d Buy if Someone Handed Me a Loaded Gift Card (I’ve bought and read one of them and won two others but haven’t read them yet). And then there were the books I listed in my 2015 End of Year Book Survey: the two books I own and listed as my TOP priorities for 2016 … I haven’t read. (Six of Crows and Carry On.) BUT I did read all of the other books I said I was anticipating in 2016 (except for Glass Sword, which I’m currently listening to on audiobook.) Then, of course, there are my (you can see my latest update in my November Wrap-Up), many of which I’m failing. Sigh.
So, what has this all taught me?
Basically, that I’m not very good at reading the books I say I really want to get to. And that if I REALLY want to read a book, I need to have it for review, because those are the books that end up taking priority (understandably).
How did you do on reading the books you were anticipating in the past year or two? Better than me, I hope? I want to know!