Last week on FYFA (and in my life):
I went to my blog this morning and was accosted by music and party horns from a Kohls ad in my sidebar! YIKES!! I’m sorry if any of you experienced this. I took the ad completely down until I get it sorted out. I hate ads that have sound that turns on when you go to a site. I’ve had a Litbreaker ad in my sidebar for years, and it’s always been relatively unintrusive. Typically, the ads are book-related and they don’t overtake my blog or anything. I don’t make much from it (around $5 a month), but I figured it helps pay for a giveaway, so why not? But if the ads are now going to have sound, this ad spot will not be back. Again, sorry if you were blasted when you came to my blog!
Other than that, it’s been another pretty low-key week around here. I’m heading to a going away party today for one of my best friends today who’s moving across the country, so it’s going to be a sad day. Plus, unfortunately, I’ve had to attend two memorial services within the last two weeks—obviously not fun. The deaths weren’t sudden, but it makes you think about how fragile life is.
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog last week:
- Batgirl at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee: Review
- Top Ten Books I Loved More (or Less) Than I Expected
- Bite-Sized Reviews of The Impossible Fortress, Revenge of the Evil Librarian, Liberation, and The Anatomical Shape of a Heart
- #famous by Jilly Gagnon: A Disappointed (Slightly Ranty) Review
- A Book Blogger’s Guide to Acronyms, Terms and Slang
Next week on FYFA:
- The Burning World by Isaac Marion – Review
- Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop – Review
- February Wrap-Up Round Up Link-Up
- March Discussion Challenge Link-Up
- My February Wrap-Up
- Let’s Discuss: Something bookish! 🙂
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Lots of birthdays and blogoversaries again this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, you can always fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- February 27th – Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout‘s Birthday & Blogoversary!
- February 27th – Jess @ Princessica of Books‘ Birthday
- February 28th – Sue @ Crushing Cinders‘ Birthday
- March – Rebel Mommy Book Blog‘s Blogoversary
- March 1st – The Book Boulevard‘s Blogoversary
- March 1st – The Heart of a Book Blogger‘s Blogoversary
- March 2nd – Pink Polka Dot Books‘ Blogoversary
Thanks to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for Bang and The Unlikelies.
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
Here are a few posts I loved this week:
- Wendy @ Falconer’s Library talks about Growing Readers
- Tanya @ GirlXOXO asks Does Guessing the Plot Twist Affect How Much You Enjoy a Book?
- Pamela @ Reverie Society gives us 3 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Write
- Pre-order DONE DIRT CHEAP by Sarah Nicole Lemon and get a signed bookplate with a quote from the book. (ends 3/7)
- Pre-order THE CROWN’S FATE by Evelyn Skye, and you can get a limited edition bookmark and a set of 3 stickers–Team Vika, Team Nikolai, and Team Pasha! Plus, there’s an additional giveaway if you order from Kepler’s. (ends 5/15)
- Pre-order THE LOST STAFF OF WONDERS by Raymond Arroyo and receive a signed bookplate for your book and a limited edition bookmark. (ends 3/6)
- Pre-order TRICKED by Jen Calonita and receive a Fairy Tale Reform School digital exclusive featuring Rapunzel! (ends 3/6)
- Pre-order THE BONE WITCH by Rin Chupeco and receive a signed bookmark and The Bone Witch sticker. You will also be entered to win a GRAND PRIZE Bone Witch themed crate. (ends 3/6)
- Pre-order THE SHIP BEYOND TIME by Heidi Heilig from an indie bookstore and get a gorgeous cloisonne pin of the black ship Temptation while supplies last! (ends 2/28)
- Pre-order THE SONG RISING by Samantha Shannon and receive exclusive badges and temporary tattoos to #JoinTheRevolution. (ends 3/6)
- Pre-order A CONJURING OF LIGHT by V.E. Schwab for a chance to receive a book hugger signed by V. E. Schwab. (ends 2/28)
Other Current Giveaways on FYFA:
(Besides the ones listed with this week’s posts)
- So You Say It’s Your Birthday? It’s My Birthday (and Blogoversary) Too! – Come enter the giveaway!
- January Wrap-Up Round-Up Giveaway – Anyone can enter, so head over to win a book from my giveaway/trade list!
- February Discussion Challenge Link-Up & Giveaway – Link up your February discussions and enter to win!
Even More Awesome Giveaways on Other Sites:
- It’s Book Briefs’ 6th blogoversary and Michelle is celebrating with a huge giveaway!
- Book Clubbish is giving away 10 sets of Advanced Reading Copies of 100 HOURS and SPECTACLE and a copy of MENAGERIE.
- It’s Crushing Cinders’ blogoversary and Sue is celebrating by giving away a book of your choice (INT)!
- And another blogoversary over at Girl in the Pages! Head over there to win a book Cristina has reviewed (INT)!
- Head over to Happily Ever Chapter to enter to win 50 YA Books in the YALit Giveaway (INT). (Note that you’ll be subscribed to the sponsoring authors’ mailing lists, and there are a lot of them!)
- Pure Imagination has a weekly Saturday Situation link-up for reviews and giveaways!
- Lots of blogs participating in the February New Release Giveaway Hop!
- And also the Romance is in the Air Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Pure Imagination for a chance to win a February New Release of your choice.
- Jessica @ a GREAT read is celebrating eight years of blogging with a big giveaway!
- XPresso Book Tours is giving away a $50 gift card and more in honor of the new year!
- The Bookkeeper’s Secrets is doing a year-long giveaway!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!