This past week on FYFA (and in my life):
We’ve spent this weekend doing a little demolition. We’re taking out the pool that’s been in our backyard since we moved in 13 years ago and most of the deck (except for a bit of the framing) along with it. As of me writing this, we now step out our back door to a half-torn out deck that leads to a giant hole in the ground (and a whole lot of debris). Sounds fun, right? Actually, the process hasn’t been all that bad. And I trust my husband to make us a spiffy new deck. 🙂 (We’re hiring landscapers to deal with the hole in the ground.)
Here’s what you may have missed on the blog since my last Sunday Post:
- Top Ten Books on My Fall TBR
- The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes: Hispanic and Disability Rep + Mythology Not Many of Us Know About
Book Blogger Birthdays and Blogoversaries:
Here are the birthdays and blogoversaries for this week! I hope you’ll go wish these bloggers well on their special days! Make sure you check out the calendar to see what you might have just missed or what’s coming up. (If you want to be added to the calendar, it’s easy! Just fill out the birthday/blogoversary form.)
- September 24th – Super Space Chick‘s Blogoversary
- September 25th – Do You Dog-ear?‘s Blogoversary
- September 25th – Jolien @ The Fictional Reader‘s Birthday
- September 29th – Eva @ All Books Considered‘s Birthday
- September 29th – Words And Peace‘s Blogoversary
I saw a review for After the Fire on It Starts at Midnight and then the next day NetGalley had one of their special “first 500 get this book” deals. I decided the combination was a definite sign that I needed to read this one. (I actually wasn’t one of the first 500, but my request was approved, so Yay!)
Great Discussions/Goings On Around the Blogosphere:
- Brittany @ Brittany’s Book Rambles has her second post of the Ask a Publicist feature up!
- Cait @ Paper Fury asks Is It Better To Read About Characters Who Are Like You…Or Actually Super Different?
- Here are 10 Books to Satisfy Your Inner Mulan
- Mary E. Pearson writes an incredibly thoughtful post on Ageism in YA
Listed in order of release date. Any new deals that I just added to the list this week will be denoted with a *** so you can easily find them!
Please note: Almost all pre-order giveaways run “while supplies last,” so I can’t guarantee that they’ll be open until the date listed. Pre-0rder early for your best chance to get all the goodies!
- ***Pre-order 500 WORDS OR LESS by Juleah del Rosario to receive a personalized thank you and a bookmark, plus the chance to win a grand prize. (INT)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order A BLADE SO BLACK by L.L. McKinney to receive a themed bookmark, a print of the incredible artwork by Margaret Owens, a temporary tattoo depicting all four suits of cards, and a signed cover postcard! (ends 9/24)
- Pre-order VENGEFUL by V.E. Schwab to receive a removable laptop sticker. (US & CAN)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order THE CAGED QUEEN by Kristen Ciccarelli to receive an 8.5 x 11 poster prints of Asha and Roa, a map of the world (only found in some translated editions of the Iskari series, NOT English ones), a handwritten letter from the author, a signed bookplate, and a dragon-slayer sticker. (INT)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order CHILDREN OF THE BLOODLANDS by S.M. Beiko to receive a custom-made owl pin. (INT)(ends 9/24)
- Pre-order FOR A MUSE OF FIRE by Heidi Heilig to receive a signed bookmark & sheet music to La Lumière, as well as fully orchestrated mp3s of all 4 songs featured in the book! (INT)(ends 9/25)
- *****Pre-order THE DARKDEEP by Ally Condie and Brendan Reichs to receive an exclusive holographic bookmark and you’ll be entered to win a book club pack, a character named after you, or a Nintendo Switch! (US & CAN)(ends 10/1)
- ***Pre-order STAR-CROSSED by Pintip Dunn to receive a star wishlet! (INT)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order BROKEN THINGS by Lauren Oliver to receive a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order BONELESS MERCIES by April Genevieve Tucholke to receive a wolf necklace inspired by the book. (US only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order A MAP OF DAYS by Ransom Riggs to receive a collectible pin, and be entered to win an exclusive A MAP OF DAYS ViewMaster! (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order THE LAST WISH OF SASHA CADE by Cheyanne Young to receive a signed bookplate, a bookmark, a sticker, and a wish bracelet. (US/CAN only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order GRIM LOVELIES by Megan Shepherd to receive a branded tote bag. You’ll also be entered to win the grand prize! (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order THE LADY’S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY by Mackenzi Lee to receive a digital, never-before-seen epilogue to The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue. (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order MISFITS by Jen Calonita to receive a Fairy Tale Reform School / Royal Academy Rebels crossover story—When Devin Met Gilly! (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order THE SPY WITH THE RED BALLOON by Katherine Locke to receive nine character cards and a signed bookmark. (US Only)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-0rder SHADOW OF THE FOX by Julie Kagawa to receive a magnetic bookmark, a button and a signed bookplate. (US & CAN)(ends 10/1)
- Pre-order BLACK WINGS BEATING by Alex London to receive a signed Bookplate. Plus, the first 150 people to order the book will get an enamel pin. And until 9/24 you can also enter to win a hardcover copy with written annotations by Cassandra Clare, Marie Lu, and Holly Black and signed by Alex London. (ends 10/1)
- Pre-order WHAT IF IT’S US by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera to receive a three-pack of book-themed buttons. (US only)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order SAVE THE CAT! WRITES A NOVEL by Jessica Brody to receive a FREE companion eBook containing bonus beat sheets (plot breakdowns) for 10 popular novels. (INT)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order THE DEVIL’S THIEF by Lisa Maxwell to receive character art, a map, a bookmark, and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/8)
- Pre-order BRIDGE OF CLAY by Markus Zusak to receive a book club kit containing a Collectible Print, a
Book Thief/Bridge of Clay Discussion Guide, 6 Coasters, a Debossed Notebook and 6 Pens. (US Only)(ends 10/9)
- ***Pre-order LOSE WELL by Chris Gethard to receive a video message, an audio file you can use as your outgoing voicemail message, or he’ll call you directly for a two-minute chat! (ends 10/15)
- Pre-order WIND RIDER by P.C. Cast to receive a signed bookplate and a digital chapter sampler from P.C. and Kristin Cast’s new novel, THE DYSASTERS! (US & CAN)(ends 10/15)
- Pre-order ONE GIANT LEAP by Heather Kaczynski to receive a holographic character art print and a signed bookplate. (INT)(ends 10/22)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas to receive an exclusive enamel pin. (US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and India)(ends 10/22)
- Pre-order THE DARKEST STAR by Jennifer L. Armentrout to receive THE PACKAGE, the first Daemon and Kat bonus scene in several years, and The Darkest Star inspired nail polish. (INT)(ends 10/29)
- ***Pre-order LOVE FOR TWO LIFETIMES by Martina Boone to receive a signed bookplate, a limited edition original art card with calligraphy by Jodi Meadows, and an exclusive letter for the reader. (US) Or a digital art version of the art card, a digital version of the letter and a digital copy of Jodi’s hand-lettered calligraphy of a poem from the book. (INT)(ends 11/1)
- ***Pre-order NO BORING STORIES! by Julie Falatko to receive a cute pencil and notebook. (ends 11/5)
- Pre-order KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES: FLASHBACK by Shannon Messenger to receive two limited edition Iggy postcards, a Flashback print, and a signed bookplate! (CAN only)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order FROZEN REIGN by Kathryn Purdie to receive a limited edition art card with quote, a signed and personalized bookplate, and a set of 3 bookmarks. (INT)(ends 11/5)
- Pre-order KINGDOM OF THE BLAZING PHOENIX by Julie Daw to receive a signed bookplate, enamel pin, quote sticker and bookmark. (US only)(ends 11/6)
- Pre-order PULP by Robin Talley to receive 2 autographed postcards, 2 bookmarks, 1 signed bookplate (personalized upon request), and 1 bonus As I Descended sticker. You’ll also be entered to win a grand prize. (US only for swag. Contest open INT)(ends 11/12)
- Pre-order ALL THE WANDERING LIGHT by Heather Fawcett to receive an exclusive world map, a signed bookplate, a bookmark and two stickers. (INTL)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order QUEEN OF AIR AND DARKNESS by Cassandra Clare to receive a deluxe Shadowhunter fairytale retelling booklet. Featuring 35 pages of exclusive art and a note from Cassandra Clare. (US only)(ends 12/3)
- Pre-order THE WINTER OF THE WITCH by Katherine Arden to receive a signed bookplate. (US only)(ends 1/7)
- Pre-order SONG OF THE DEAD by Sarah Glenn Marsh to receive a signed bookmark, an 11×17 beautiful map of the world of the Reign of the Fallen series (art by Jessica Khoury), and four new character cards including everyone’s favorite bear, Lysander! (art by Jo Painter) (INTL)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order THE BIRDS, THE BEES, AND YOU AND ME by Olivia Hinebaugh to receive an enamel pin. (US Only)(ends 1/21)
- Pre-order KING OF SCARS by Leigh Bardugo to receive an enamel pin! (US only)(ends 1/28)
- Pre-order THE PRIORY OF THE ORANGE TREE by Samantha Shannon to receive an exclusive signed poster. (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand)(ends 2/25)
- Pre-order A QUESTION OF HOLMES by a signed, personalized copy, plus an exclusive illustrated print. (INT)(ends 3/5)
- Pre-order DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE by Joan He to receive 3 swag items (they won’t be all paper-made–actual items TBD closer to release date). (INT)(ends 4/1)
More Awesome Giveaways:
- Twitter Giveaways:
- @pintipdunn is giving away a hardcover of STAR-CROSSED
- @EachStarAWorld is giving away an ARC of THE STORYTELLER plus swag
- @LittleMemoirs is giving away a pre-order paperback of WHAT IF IT’S US
- Educators and librarians: Here’s a chance to win a free Skype visit from of some mglit authors *and* a copy of their books.
- On Facebook, Julie Kagawa is giving away one of her famed handmade dragons!
- Enter to win $100 worth of books from Penguin Random House plus a t-shirt!
- Head over to Once Upon a Bookcase for a chance to win a finished copy of A BLADE SO BLACK
- Head over to The Infinite Limits of Love to win $20 Worth of Books
- Head over to Magic, Myth & Mischief for a chance to win THE STORM RUNNER or PRIDE
- Head over to Lisa Loves Literature for a chance to win one of 3 paperback copies of Perfect Harmony by Emily Albright
- Head over to Book Briefs for a chance to win one (1) copy of Explorer Academy: The Nebula Secret, as well as Explorer Academy swag. You can also enter to win a family trip for 4 to Alaska in the National Geographic Explorer Academy Sweepstakes
- Head over to Reading Reality for a chance to win The Impossible Girl by Lydia Kang
- Lots of blogs participating in the Clear Your Shelf Giveaway Hop!
- Enter to win a trip for two to the Miami Book Fair!
- Head over to Mary Had a Little Book Blog for a huge Epic Reads Giveaway!!
- On my blog, you’ll find the August Wrap-Up Round-Up Link-Up & Make Me Read It Giveaway and the September 2018 Discussion Challenge & Giveaway
- Star-Crossed Book Blog is celebrating its four year blogoversary with a huge giveaway!
- Shealea @ That Bookshelf Bitch is giving away ARCs of Richard Lawson’s All We Can Do Is Wait and Kim Liggett’s Heart of Ash to two Filipino readers!
- Lots of blogs participating in the September Book of Choice Giveaway Hop!
- Head over to Clean Wholesome Romance for a chance to win a 6 Month Kindle Unlimited Subscription
- Enter Read It Forward’s weekly giveaway! This one is Some of Their Favorite Reads of September 2018!
- Head over to Bookish for LOTS of giveaways!
Lots of good stuff! Have any giveaways or great discussions happening on your site right now? Feel free to share them in the comments!
I thought about requesting After the Fire but thought I would wait until it’s release!
That is some crazy demo with the pool! Did you ever use it? I know they are pretty expensive to maintain, not to mention a lot of work!
We used it A LOT when the kids were younger, but the last couple of years, we haven’t as much. Once my two oldest joined the swim team and were in the pool every day, they weren’t as interested in just hanging out in ours. 🙂
Ooo! I picked up After the Fire as well! RIP pool, no better photo to represent the end of summer and start of fall than that!
So true. It’s the end of a season and the end of an era. 🙂
Removing a pool can be a mess. I’d love to see photos after you landscape and redo the deck. I couldn’t live without my pool. Summers here are long and very hot and I probably wouldn’t step outside without something to cool off in. LOL
Yeah, if I lived in Florida, I’m sure we wouldn’t be getting rid of the pool, no matter how much it cost to fix it up. Here in Chicago, our summers are very hot, but they don’t last nearly as long as yours. The pool actually has a heater hook-up. A heater would have extended the seasonal use quite a bit (since I don’t like to get in a super cold pool unless it’s HOT out). But the people who owned the house (for only a year) right before us didn’t maintain the heater and the pipes froze in the winter. We could never quite justify the $2000 it would have cost to replace it.
My husband and I have to tear down our deck soon and redo it. We probably won’t make it as big as it is now which means landscaping too. Just thinking about it makes me feel overwhelmed! Hopefully your demo and reconstruction goes quick!
Yeah, our deck was really nice and big since it went around the pool. I’m going to miss all that space. We’re contemplating adding a small patio off to the side (we don’t want to make the deck bigger because we only want to use existing framing, and the shape is all wrong for the other part of the deck).
So what will go in place of the hole?
Enjoy starting anew. Thanks for sharing your week.
Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES
We’re going to have landscapers come out and fill the hole and plant seed to extend the lawn. We’ll also put in a tree and some planters.
OMG thanks for all the links and giveaway! No I know everything about having faith in our hubs DIY abilities LOL I hope this all turns great.
Yeah, I trust my husband to get the deck done right. 🙂
I remember when my parents knocked down our swimming pool when I was a teen. The end of an era! I hope your new deck and landscaping turns out fabulous.
Yes, it’s definitely the end of an era, but it was time to let the poor thing go—it was on its last legs (and the deck was too!).
Good luck with your deck and giant hole! Sometimes I really wish I used NetGalley because I badly want to read After The Fire. I hope you like it. Have a great week!
Ha! Well, it’s good that you’ve used self-control when it comes to NetGalley. 🙂
It looks like you’ll have a lot more space once the hole is filled! My in-laws recently did the same thing, and now all the kids can run around to their heart’s content. Before we had to be mindful of the pool, since kids seem to gravitate towards water. Now, it’s just grass and flowers!
I got that email, too! However, I’m always too slow for those things, haha. I feel like people are always anticipating them, because it seems like they’re always gone within minutes. I hope you enjoy it! I’ll look for your review.
My blogoversary is this week, too! I forgot to fill our your form, which is totally my fault. September 25th will be my one-year blogoversary! Whee!
Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?
Happy blogoversary!! I added you to my post for the week and I’ll be sure to add your to my calendar too! Thanks for filling out the form. 🙂
Thank you! <3
Oh my, that does look like quite a mess, but hopefully it’ll all turn out great! And yay, glad you got the book you wanted even though you weren’t in the first 500!
I think it will be great once we’re done, but it might be a long process getting there. 🙂
Wow! That’s some insane remodeling! It seems like my folks are doing a lot of that around the house too lately. Pretty sure it was just this year they put up new siding all over the house, removed a huge tree from the front yard, and they just redid the backyard with new blocks/stepping stones, laid out new grass all over the yard that was sorely missing grass. It’s insane! Wish you guys the best of luck for a smooth remodeling transition! 🙂
Nice new read too! That’s a new to me one! I’ll have to give that one a looksee! Hope you enjoy it!
Here’s my STS
Have a GREAT day!
Old Follower 🙂
Yeah, this is going to be a big project, but it’ll be worth it when it’s all over with.
I am sure your yard will look beautiful once it is all done. Ours needs a lot of work, but finding the time and motivation to do it is proving to be challenging. After the Fire sounds good. I hope you love it, Nicole. Have a great week!
Ah yes, time and motivation can be hard to come by sometimes. My husband’s been doing most of the work on ours—I’m definitely lucky!
Getting rid of a pool can be a real nightmare so I’m glad to hear it’s going well. Can’t wait to see the final deck!
We were actually really surprised at how quickly the demolition went. We got almost all of the tear-down done in one weekend. Of course, getting everything back into reasonable shape will take much longer!
I know you will be showing it off when it is done and I am looking forward to it. That is a lot of work give you and your husband a lot of credit. I am not sure I would be able to do all that since my husband isn’t very handy.
After the fire looks good, I keep seeing that around. Need to find out what you all think before I decided if I should read it 🙂
I hope you have a fantastic week, Nicole! Happy Reading! 🙂
I have to give my husband most of the credit—he’s been doing most of the work (with my kids helping him, actually. LOL!).
Ooh I hope your new deck looks amazing once everything is all complete. 🙂 Thanks as always for all the fun links/giveaways!
I have a feeling this will be a long-term project, but we’re hoping to have everything cleared away and the landscaping done this fall (it gets chilly here fast!). Then we’ll probably actually finish the new deck in the spring.
Renovations are fun, at least after their done, right? Will be interested to see your finished deck. I’ve got an ARC of After the Fire. Looking forward to reading it. Have a great week!
Yeah, I’m definitely looking forward to the “After.” 🙂
I hope everything goes well with your backyard updates. We have a pool at our neighborhood and haven’t gone for 3 years. I love to swim; I was a lifeguard in HS and college. But life is busy.
Have a great reading week! Anne – Books of My Heart
I get it. We definitely used the pool when the kids were younger, but nowadays we’re just too busy most of the time.
We have an above ground pool that doesn’t see a whole lot of use anymore. I know that it will be a pain to take down so we haven’t even considered it. My niece and nephew are getting bigger so they might use it more in the next few years. I have been very tempted by After the Fire but am trying hard not to add any new review books to my pile. Have a great week!
Yeah, if it weren’t for the fact that the pool is starting to collapse in a bit and we’ve had issues with the liner, we probably would have kept it just because getting rid of it is such a big project.
Ooh good luck with the deck and re- landscaping! I’m sure it’ll be awesome when you’re done.
I saw Shannon’s review of After the Fire too, and it looks super interesting.
She had me hooked! 🙂
Good luck with the deck thing and I hope the maintenance finishes soon.
You have a nice haul here. I hope you enjoy all of your new books.
Have a lovely week and happy reading!
Thanks! I have a feeling part of the project will get done this fall and part of it will extend to next spring, but that’s okay.
Good luck with the new deck! I got that email and had seen the review too but I’m trying to be good with ARCs so I ignored it. Hope you enjoy it!
I’m sure I would have been good and ignored the email if it hadn’t been for Shannon’s review, but the temptation was too great. 🙂
Good luck with the pool-filling and new garden making!
Thanks!! I’m looking forward to my “new” back yard!
Good luck moving your pool. That’s a hard landscaping job! My husband and nephew built a pre-fabricated shed yesterday, so we’ve got our own share of remodeling going on. It fills up a day with work quickly!
Yeah, we’ve decided to let landscapers take care of the yard—it’s just too much of a headache. But my husband can definitely handle the deck. We actually designed and built a deck from scratch at our old house (many moons ago).
No more pool?!?! But a new deck? Jeez, I don’t know, I would want both but yeah, if no one is using the pool anymore and it’s a pain the tuchus, then I can’t wait to see what the hubs builds!!!! I do love how you’re always sharing pictures!
OH jeez… now I’ve got to check out After the Fire. This doesn’t bode well. 😉 Have a great week!!!
If the pool has still been in good working order, we probably would have kept it for a few more years, but we think it might have been close to twenty years old and it needed some major work (and so did the deck). We decided it wasn’t worth the money and work to do that now that we’re not using it much anymore. But I LOVED having a pool when the kids were little.
Now that we actually have a house, the topic of adding a pool has been added to the conversation. Tearing it down at some point is actually one of my BIG cons about it!
Hopefully your teardown and landscaping happens sooner for you so you can enjoy the extra room and a nice big deck! 🙂
Have a great week!
We loved our pool for many years (we’ve lived here for thirteen), but we just don’t get the use out of it that we used to and it was really starting to need some major work, which we just decided we weren’t willing to put in at this point. I wouldn’t trade having it when the kids were younger for anything, though!
Ooh! Sounds like you had a busy and messy week ? One question tho, why did you decide to take out the pool? Anyway, we will want a pic when the deck is done ?
Hope you have a great week ?
The pool and the deck were pretty much on their last legs. We’ve lived here for 13 years, and we’re not sure exactly how many years before that the pool was put in, but we suspect that it might have been 20 years ago. The liner was shot, and since the pool was built directly into the deck (which was really nice because it made it feel like an inground pool, even though it was technically above ground), it was impossible to replace without taking parts of the deck apart. Plus, it was starting to bow in on one side. We LOVED the pool when the kids were younger, but we really hadn’t been getting a lot of use out of it in recent years, and we decided it’s not worth the maintenance anymore. It’s sad to see it go, though!
OMG! Good luck with the huge overhaul! I can’t wait to see everything when it’s done. ♥
I’m definitely looking forward to the completed project!
Good bye pool, I’m sure it brought you many enjoyable years. You were busy, that’s a lot of hard work. I’m sure finished deck and landscaping will be wonderful. Have a great week ahead.
It was a lot of work, but I was surprised how much we were able to do in a weekend.
I’m sure your deck will be amazing after you’re done with it! I also saw After the Fire through my email but completely ignored it since I’m behind. ?
I should probably have ignored it too … but I didn’t. 🙂
Getting rid of your pool is exciting although I would love to have a pool, not going to lie. I’m sure it was a lot of work and I’m sure the work to get rid of it and redo your decking will be worth it.
It was definitely worth the work for the last thirteen years, but it was going to take some major work to keep it going, and we decided it wasn’t worth the money or the effort anymore now that we just aren’t using it much.
Oh wow, that is a major project! I’m sure the final product is going to be amazing once the new deck is up and the landscapers work their magic.
Yep. It’ll take some time and patience, but it’s worth it.
Oh I have The After The fire ARC! Glad to hear it is good! Maybe I’ll bump it up on my TBR pile.
The giant hole in the ground is definitely Not fun BUT so inspiring if you are a fantasy wirter LOL Sorry I had to find an upside for this 😉 Cannot wait for the “after” pics 🙂
Ha! Yes, we keep calling it our watering hole or our private beach now. 🙂
I am sure you’ll have an amazing deck once all the work is over! 😀 <3
Thank you so, so much, really, for taking the time to share all of these pre-orders and giveaways with us, you're the best <3
I’m happy to do it! I have fun gathering all of these. 🙂
That sounds like a big project removing your pool, but I hope you have a nice yard and deck when it’s all done. Oh how awesome you list so many giveaways, I’ll have to check a few of them out. That must take a lot of time finding all those giveaways and listing them here.
I do spend a lot of time on this post, but I actually really love doing it. 🙂
Here’s hoping your landscaping project goes smoothly and that you can get all that you want to get done before the snow hits. At least that’s always our struggle out here near Tahoe…..I still remember the storm 10 years ago where we got 4 feet of snow that first weekend of October ACK lol! Hoping you love your new deck/patio and having a larger grass area! 🙂
Yeah, we plan to get the landscaping done, but the new deck will probably have to wait till spring. For now, we’re keeping the old decking on the upper portion of the deck.